Make Your Own Basketball Video Game

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Make Your Own Basketball Video Game

Postby Mavs4Life on Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:24 pm

Title:
Features:
Presentation:
Cover Player:

I'll do mine soon, wanted to see what people would do if they could make one, though there's most likely been a thread before. You can add more sections to the template if you would like.
Mavs4Life

Re: Make Your Own Basketball Video Game

Postby Kenny on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:34 am

Great idea (y)

Being a bit of a dreamer, I'm going to make it my task to create a game for Australia's league, the NBL. I'd make it a simulation, although I might come up with a more NBA Jam-esque kind of a game later down the track in order to get new people interested in the league. For now, it's an NBA Live 10 (pre-patch) simulation game.

Title:

NBL Action *insert year*

Features:

-Franchise mode where you can control a team for up to 10 seasons. I'd say 25 like dynasty mode, but I figure I'd start small since the NBL is a struggling league.

-Expansion mode where you can create a team in a non-NBL city and build it up. If there's going to be no Brisbane team for a while, this would be a must.

-Classic teams with players like Andrew Gaze, Leroy Loggins, Brett Maher, Andrew Vlahov, Shane Heal, Chris Anstey, Steve Carfino and more.

-Accurate AI collision physics (although, just having a game for the NBL would be awesome).

-Correct logic for signing imports (ie: two per team)

-Ability to scout for imports all over the globe. Possibly have customisable prospects as well (similar to NBA 2k's custom draft class.

-All the NBL rivalries add more atmosphere to the game, as well as a different atmosphere for different occasions (playoffs, regular season, finals etc)

-Complete All-Star game

-Play by play commentary with Steve Carfino and Andrew Gaze (I suppose if I can't get Gaze, Shane Heal would be the next best option)

Presentation:

I'd say similar to NBA 2k11, but if it was like NBA Live 10, I would complain about that either.

Cover Player:

Damian Martin (would have said Kirk Penney, but he's not with the NBL anymore)
Kenny
Thon Maker's Biggest Fan.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Mavs4Life on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:55 am

Thanks, and an NBL game sounds cool.
Mavs4Life

Postby The X on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:51 pm

badreligionau wrote:Cover Player:

I'd still have Penney on the cover for games you sell in NZ :wink:

Or since it's first title, NZ cover would have Pero & Penney on it & Aussie cover would have Gaze, Anstey & Heal on cover :cool:
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kenny on Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:27 pm

The X wrote:
badreligionau wrote:Cover Player:

I'd still have Penney on the cover for games you sell in NZ :wink:

Or since it's first title, NZ cover would have Pero & Penney on it & Aussie cover would have Gaze, Anstey & Heal on cover :cool:

You make a good point. I guess it's a matter of personal preference in the end. I'm actually not a huge fan of the nostalgia covers, but I understand that there's a big market for it. I prefer having current players on the cover because it's a sign of the times and it's something you can look back on and think "that guy was relevant enough at that time to warrant a cover".
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby Murat on Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:46 pm

Title:

NBA on The Television

Features:

50 Classic NBA Games to be played, 250 legends to be unlocked with over 110 teams to be unlocked
    My Baller mode, similar to My Player but different haha
    Over 10 different broadcast channels, such as FSN, ESPN, TNT, NBA TV and COMCAST.
    Thousands of player movement styles
    Create a Legend mode, which you have 2 options to use: Current Ballers and Legends (MJ, Bird, Jabbar etc.)
    Different game modes, like Franchise Mode, Season Mode, Playoffs Mode
    The Blacktop mode with over 260 street courts and 150 different places (Istanbul is included too!)
    Franchise Mode includes over 350 different features, for example Scouting, Player Moods, News, Transactions etc.
    Play by play commentaries are by at least 350 announcers, like Mike Breen, Marv Albert, Rod Hundley, Chick Hearn.
    A combination of AI's included in all of NBA games
    Over 15,000 players, 3,000 jerseys, 1,500 courts and 10,000 teams included
    All-Star games that almost look like a real All-Star game. All of the events included.
    16 levels to be played on: Baby, Toddler, Child, Teenager, Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior, Rookie, Pro, All-Star, Superstar, Veteran, MVP, HOF, Greatest.

Presentation:

I included the presentation

Cover Player:

I guess I'll pick the cover player as different versions for different countries:

Michael Jordan&Scottie Pippen for USA
    Dwight Howard&Hedo Turkoglu for Turkey
    Paul Pierce&Rajon Rondo for Canada and other America countries
    Kobe Bryant&Shaquille O'Neal for Australia/NZ/Japan/Africa
    Bill Russell&Wilt Chamberlain for Europe/Asia
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Kenny on Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:59 pm

I think Badger/Rudy just broke this thread :lol:
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby The X on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:50 pm

badreligionau wrote:I think Badger/Rudy just broke this thread :lol:

His game never hits the shelves as game producer goes bust :lol:
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:24 pm

Here's one of mine:

NBA Hall of Fame

Concept: A combination of the Jordan Challenge and NBA's Greatest, in a standalone game. Also WWE Legends of Wrestlemania (to a certain extent)

Features:

- Over 50 classic teams, including noteworthy championship teams and contenders alike
- Replay classic matchups, with bonuses for matching statistical feats etc
- Special challenge mode, where players MUST either match certain statistical milestones etc...or rewrite history!
- Era-specific presentation, retrospective commentary (unless they can get some voice actors to imitate people like Chick Hearn and Johnny Most)
- Era-specific jerseys, court designs, arenas, rules...the works
- Tournament Mode, playing off between all the great teams; crown the best team of all-time!
- Compatibility with the sim title from EA or 2K (so it'd have to come from one of them), such as the ability to import current players
- Mini-games and other gameplay modes, such as 1-on-1, 2-on-2, 3-on-3, H.O.R.S.E, dunk contest, three point shootout, etc.

Gameplay style: Simulation, with sliders and presets for those who want a bit more of an arcade experience. Real physics, front row interactions, realistic tendencies and abilities all around, signature moves and jumpshots...all that stuff.

Cover: A GTA-style cover featuring shots of several legendary players: Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar for starters, along with a few others.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:45 pm

i dunno if you could make a whole game out of it, but i remember coming up with a first person view for the superstar/legend mode in previous Live wishlists. i think it would work with the NBA ELite controls where the left stick controls the body, the right controls the hands, and then you could use triggers as "modifiers", as you would need at least one to make the right stick control the eyes/head.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:48 pm

Perhaps in a game similar to NBA: The Life?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby JaoSming on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:05 pm

I'm going to try and keep mine as something that could realistically come out

Title: Just Ball

Features:
  • 100% Generic, to avoid licensing fees
  • 500 High School Teams, 10 in each US State
  • 100 College Teams, 2 for each State
  • 90 Team Professional League, split into 3 divisions
  • European Soccer Style Rules for Relegation, top 3 and bottom 3 teams change divisions each season
  • Fully Customizable Rule Sets
  • Built around Euphoria Technology, what "physically" happens in the game has more of an impact than player skills
  • "Play Now" Integrated with the Game's Dynasty Mode, flex scheduling allows the user to pick what game they want to play at any given time. When a team plays too many games in a season, it initiates a draft for high school/college players and simulates the rest of the seasons. Indicator of "Games Left in Season" will be displayed under each team.

Presentation:
  • Customizable Everything, team/league logos based on Forza/Backbreaker, team names, locations, etc
  • Differing Visual Presentation for Each League, High School, College, Professional Divisions
  • No Announcers, audio presentation to replicate on-the-court or in-the-crowd sounds
  • Coach Mode, start off as a high school coach, then college, then work your way up through the professional league
  • Owner Mode, start off as a high school althletic director, then college AD, finally a professional GM/Owner
  • My Legacy Mode, start off in high school as a player, go to college or right into the pros, choose to be a coach/GM/Owner after career

Cover Player:
Picture of the Shadows of someone Dunking on a Defender with the crowd blending from a high school gym, to college, to pro arena from left to right.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Kenny on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:09 pm

I like the idea of a basketball game where you rise up through the ranks starting at high school. It'd be so much fun and it'd give you more of a sentimental attachment to your player.
Kenny
NLSC Team Member

Postby The X on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:13 pm

Jao, I'd hope your game would have a very deep CAP and also be available on all platforms :wink:
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby JaoSming on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:22 pm

badreligionau wrote:I like the idea of a basketball game where you rise up through the ranks starting at high school. It'd be so much fun and it'd give you more of a sentimental attachment to your player.

Always has. I still have save games from March Madness/NBA Live 2004 PS2 and CH/NBA 2K7&8 with players I started in college then imported into the NBA game with the draft class.

The X wrote:Jao, I'd hope your game would have a very deep CAP and also be available on all platforms :wink:

Covered by the fully customizable. PC ONLY, lol. If the college games can pull off the hundreds of college teams and you can download complex vinyls in Forza in a second, I'm sure it could be console friendly.
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:32 pm

Nice idea, Jon. I wouldn't mind seeing that happen for a pro basketball game as well, along the lines of All-Pro Football 2K8 or Pro Evolution Soccer.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby dshay7 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:13 pm

In the spirit of all the classic stuff with the past 2 NBA2K games, I'd like to see a version that would allow you to go back and replay any team/any season, since the start of the NBA. For instance, if I wanted to take the 1994 Rockets all the way through that magical season, from start to finish. Or the 87 Lakers through the 1987 season. Or even take a team who didn't win the title....like the 1984 Knicks...and try to rewrite history.
Every season...every team...every roster fully complete. Now THAT would be a game. I'm sure it would take forever for someone to do all the research and make it...but, since this is a dream game, there you go. That's what I want.

Now....which one of you incredible modders is up for the challenge? :wink:
dshay7

Postby JaoSming on Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:28 pm

well the hard part of ratings is taken care of
NBA Rating Encyclopedia

just a matter of art, lots and lots of art
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:41 am

dshay7 wrote:In the spirit of all the classic stuff with the past 2 NBA2K games, I'd like to see a version that would allow you to go back and replay any team/any season, since the start of the NBA. For instance, if I wanted to take the 1994 Rockets all the way through that magical season, from start to finish. Or the 87 Lakers through the 1987 season. Or even take a team who didn't win the title....like the 1984 Knicks...and try to rewrite history.
Every season...every team...every roster fully complete. Now THAT would be a game. I'm sure it would take forever for someone to do all the research and make it...but, since this is a dream game, there you go. That's what I want.

Now....which one of you incredible modders is up for the challenge? :wink:

That'd be a tough one to make, but it'd be awesome. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby dascoot on Thu May 10, 2012 3:32 am

I haven't figured out all the details on it but heres one I came up with

title: NBA Player

Premise: starts in college and work your way up to be drafted in the NBA

Yes this would take a lot of memory having to use college teams and NBA teams but all in all it would be a fun game. You start in college (just like NBA 2K11 My player mode) . you build your player up based on performance. the better you are the higher you would be in an NBA draft. You can choose to go to NBA after 1st,2nd, 3rd or 4th year.
dascoot

Postby Andrew on Thu May 10, 2012 12:32 pm

So basically, My Player/Be a Pro/Become Legendary expanded into a whole game? Sounds good.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby rise on Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:09 am

I like dascoot's idea. It would definitely be more challenging and long. I've always hoped 2k's MP mode would at one point include going through college (or at least some generic rosters that resembled college) instead of just starting out as a 40-rated guy who randomly shows up at the draft combine and schools John Wall.
rise
But here, at the top of the world, where I raise my hands and I clench my fists...
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:21 am

The problem lies with international licensing rights for NCAA games, which is why they never get released outside of North America. They can have players listed as coming from a college, but they can't use a college's logos, jerseys etc in a game that's going to be sold worldwide. It'd be a great idea though, if the rights could ever be secured.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to Other Basketball Games