NBA Jam 12 Wishlist

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

NBA Jam 12 Wishlist

Postby Boothy on Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:57 am

I know that EA's launch strategy was less than ideal this year when it came to bball games, but I wanted to offer some suggestions on how to make the next version of NBA Jam more than a roster update to a re-skinned nostalgia fest.

No brainers
- Kinect/PS Move support
- Roster/ratings updates. These don't have to be often, one a month or two is fine. When Blake Griffin is playing like he has been, he deserves to have a 10 for dunking imho :)
- Play using your XBL avatar [may not fit with the game style]
- Custom player animations

More Sound
We all love Tim Kitzrow, but after playing a few games he gets pretty repetitive and feels... programmed. It would be awesome if he could:
- be less repetitive
- Have more player specific quotes [nicknames, topical references eg "Ray Allen's doing it for his Mom!", after LeBron dunks on someone: "Now [playername] knows how Cleveland feels!"
- More game specific calls "The Bulls have made the comeback of a lifetime!"

Gameplay
I know it's risky to mess with a winning formula, but with a few tweaks the game could have a lot more depth
- In game substitutions - Could be tag team style so as not to slow the game down [ie you actually run to the bench and tag someone to swap players]
- Shooting - At the moment it feels like you've failed if you put up a jumper. I'm fine with jumpers being easier to block, but they should go in more often to make sharpshooters a more viable option and to open up the floor
- Boost non-dunking guards - To make point guards more useful you could boost/speed up their crossovers and make their passes impossible to intercept
- Let balls go in sometimes when they bounce off the rim. Not sure why this doesn't happen already... maybe there's a reason.

Crazy idea
- Create a player - obviously i have no idea how hard this would be to do, but people could upload photos of their head online, or use the Kinect/PS Move camera to take a few photos of their head [front, side, 3/4, dunkface] and insert themselves into the game.

In Closing
If EA go the easy route and just update the rosters and add some more mediocre game types and dunk animations, the next version of Jam will be a massive fail. People's nostalgia has been sated with the current release, a minor update in a year's time just wont cut it.
Boothy

Return to Other Basketball Games