T-Meter or Right Analog?

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Which method do you prefer for free throws?

T-Meter (Old Method)
55%
Right Analog (Current Method)
45%

Total votes : 44

T-Meter or Right Analog?

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:59 am

Perhaps I'm just a creature of habit, but I'm yet to warm up to the new method of shooting free throws. It offers more of a challenge than the old T-Meter but often I feel like I've got no control over the attempt with the right analog method. I find myself using the shoot button to leave it up to the player's rating a lot of the time, especially in the clutch.

So...does anyone else miss the old T-Meter, or do you feel the right analog method is the way to go?
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby The X on Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:03 am

I'm a fan of right analog, at least in 2k series....T-Meter, whilst it was good for it's time, didn't simulate the feeling of pulling back on the right analog & releasing at correct time....T-Meter was often automatic & you could judge the right time & hit FT's with Shaq with regularity....so it was good for it's time, but it's good that it's gone....
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby tonymontana4 on Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:37 pm

I don't know wut andrew is talking about...im easily able to hit shots with diop with the keyboard and you have full control over it too so i go with right analog and the t-meter i wish you could choose wich you want to use 8-)
tonymontana4

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:49 pm

I'd probably find it a bit easier with the keyboard as well but I play with a dual analog gamepad. I find NBA Live 07's right analog system extremely sensitive even with top shooters who do have a small margin of error. The down-up timing is easy enough to get the hang of but I find it's too easy to push slightly to the left or right, thus botching the attempt. Perhaps it's just my controller.

The X wrote:I'm a fan of right analog, at least in 2k series....T-Meter, whilst it was good for it's time, didn't simulate the feeling of pulling back on the right analog & releasing at correct time....T-Meter was often automatic & you could judge the right time & hit FT's with Shaq with regularity....so it was good for it's time, but it's good that it's gone....

I haven't played much 2K but my impression is that the right analog stick method it uses is better because you only have to release the stick instead of then pushing up. As I said, timing the down-up motion isn't so bad but it's too easy to push too far left or right with that method.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:15 pm

I know exactly what your saying, Andrew. I like to believe I have my timing down, but it seems sometimes that the player might raise their arms quicker or slower at different times. For a while it was frustrating because it would always say I was pushing left, and when I compensated to the right, I started to make shots, but the next time I played it said I was pushing too much to the right. I have since then come to find out that it was the way I was holding my controller. I thought I was pushing directly up, but my thumb was actually pushing a bit to the left. Personally I like the new mechanism, but I think a visual aid is needed to help guide us, not just some notes.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andreas Dahl on Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:26 am

I too am a fan of the right analog method. It's more intuitive and gives you a feeling of actually shooting the ball.

Though I for one think it's too easy, and should be made more sensitive so it's easier to go left/right as well, and not just miss on the timing. Perhaps a slider for how sensitive it should be would work best (unless that is what the FT slider actually does now :oops:)..
Andreas Dahl

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:56 pm

Pdub wrote:I know exactly what your saying, Andrew. I like to believe I have my timing down, but it seems sometimes that the player might raise their arms quicker or slower at different times. For a while it was frustrating because it would always say I was pushing left, and when I compensated to the right, I started to make shots, but the next time I played it said I was pushing too much to the right. I have since then come to find out that it was the way I was holding my controller. I thought I was pushing directly up, but my thumb was actually pushing a bit to the left. Personally I like the new mechanism, but I think a visual aid is needed to help guide us, not just some notes.

I'd say I'm doing the same thing. I guess I should appreciate the learning curve but my troubles with the forward motion in the right analog method still leave me yearning for the T-Meter. As I said before, I'd prefer 2K's release method if the T-Meter is dead and buried since it doesn't have that upward motion which is where my problem lies.

A visual aid would be extremely helpful. That was the other great thing about the T-Meter: if you missed the free throw, you knew exactly what you did wrong. The notes are just too vague.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby felix8621 on Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:21 am

Comparing EA´s right analog meter nd the T-meter, i find the right analog more realistic but I dont like the way it executes so i prefer the t-meter.. But as for the 2k right analog, it´s really well performed so I like it best.
ImageMy patch thread

Last edited by felix8621 on Mon Feb 31, 2039 13:48 am; edited 1024 times in total
felix8621

Postby buzzy on Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:32 am

I prefer the T-Meter method. In 07 I sometimes just press the shot button ...
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby Donatello on Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:22 am

After 10 years, I came to love that little t-meter. I never realized how much I'd miss it.
||[b]b]||
Donatello
Dongatello

Postby Jing on Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:40 am

I dunno... never been much for the T-Meter.. personally I'd take the Analogy Stick.. though like Andrew said, in clutch times, I just let the computer do the work for my by just pressing the shoot button.
Jing

Postby BigKaboom2 on Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:06 am

Jing wrote:I dunno... never been much for the T-Meter.. personally I'd take the Analogy Stick.. though like Andrew said, in clutch times, I just let the computer do the work for my by just pressing the shoot button.

:P
BigKaboom2

Postby el badman on Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:14 am

I like the good ol' T-meter better. Been playing this game for so long, to me it reflects more the actual FT abilities of the players.
Analogic method is quite intuitive, but I dunno, the results are pretty strange sometimes...
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Postby Patr1ck on Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:40 am

Exactly. Its like there is some variation missing. When you just use the shoot button, there are many different ways that the shot can be made or missed, but when you use the analog, there seems to be only a few ways to make or miss the shot. Maybe its because of a lack of support for pressure sensitivity with the analog sticks in the game.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gedas on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:01 am

For me, the new ft shooting is better. It is just more realistic.
Gedas

Postby Jing on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:07 am

BigKaboom2 wrote:
Jing wrote:I dunno... never been much for the T-Meter.. personally I'd take the Analogy Stick.. though like Andrew said, in clutch times, I just let the computer do the work for my by just pressing the shoot button.

:P

Ugh.. I think I have the SAT's imprinted into my mind.
Jing

Postby [Q] on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:08 am

i like the t meter just out of nostalgia but i like the 2k ft shooting. especially with the ps3 way.. tilting the controller back and then forward.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:13 am

Pdub wrote:Maybe its because of a lack of support for pressure sensitivity with the analog sticks in the game.

I'd say that's a big part of it. No doubt there are times when I am pushing too far left or right but issues with stick sensitivity would account for the very small margin of error, even with good free throw shooters.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby DEA on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:36 am

I like that T-meter is gone, but they could of came up with a better method for shooting free throws, cause the Right Analog stick can get sensitive from time to time, plus I feel that too much is added to do with analog stick.
"Real World Bustas walk around the Web like they got an "S" on their chests, forgetting rule one: Real people do real things, and they never talk about it."
DEA

Postby JohnnyLi on Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:04 am

I definetely like the Right Analog better. I shoot a way better percentage with bad shooters with the new method, I couldn't align the T-bar very well with players like Shaq.

In addition, if don't feel like you are getting it right before pushing the stick to the opposite side to release, you can start over.

I'd take the Right Analog anyday. It feels more realistic then aligning some bars and it just feels right I guess, lol.

I don't know why you guys think the right analog is sensitive, but maybe it's my MadCatz Xbox 360 controller? It takes quite a bit for it to miss to the right/left (did it once because I wasn't really paying attention).
JohnnyLi

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:39 pm

JohnnyLi wrote:I definetely like the Right Analog better. I shoot a way better percentage with bad shooters with the new method, I couldn't align the T-bar very well with players like Shaq.

Well, that is kind of the point. Shooting free throws with Shaq is supposed to be difficult given the fact he's a poor free throw shooter in real life. ;)

It could very well be my controller though it seems I'm not alone on the sensitivity issue. I don't disagree that the right analog stick method is intuitive and it does simulate the follow through of a free throw but to me it just feels like there's less control over the attempt.

When you missed a free throw with the T-Meter, you knew why. The tips that are displayed for missed throws in NBA Live 07 are too vague especially given the very small margin for error. The T-Meter gave you an exact aim which was also useful when you wanted to miss free throws on purpose while giving a teammate a good shot at the offensive board.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby SVG18 on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:01 pm

Bring back the T-meter! I always get you pushed up too early or too late or too much to the left... I just rely on the shoot button out of misery.
SVG18

Postby loko_tomas on Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:17 am

the shooting with the stick doesn't work correctly for me:

1. I have to use the left stick to shoot
2. I never managed to shoot the ball left or right. I moved the stick as left as it's possible, but the ball simply flew into the basket.
3. I have a strange bug so I have to move the stick up first and down second to shoot the ball and I had percentages of 50-60% with 80+ % shooters, even with free throw diffculty at 10

Maybe it's because of my gamepad...

But now I just use the shot-button...
loko_tomas

Postby JohnA20 on Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:59 pm

I like the analog stick, but unlike others, I get it to go left or right a lot, guess i just suck.
JohnA20

Postby el badman on Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:00 am

I like the analog stick, but unlike others, I get it to go left or right a lot, guess i just suck

Same here. For some reason, I always go left if I use my right thumb, but I'm much better using my left thumb (but it's pretty uncomfortable with the right stick...).
I really wish we could have had the choice between methods, T-meter provided much more realistic results for me :(
El Badmanator VI: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @3.7GHz, Nvidia GTX 3090 24GB; Acer Predator XB273K 4K 27"Monitor; Samsung NVMe EVO 970 1TB / Samsung EVO Pro 500GS SSD; Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite; T-Force RAM DDR4-4000 32GB RAM; EVGA G5 850W PSU; Corsair iCUE H100i CPU Liquid Cooler; Razer DeathAdder Chroma wireless gaming mouse; HyperX Cloud Flight S wireless headset; Logitech G560 speakers; Razer Black Widow v3 mechanical keyboard; PS5 Dualsense controller; Rosewill Cullinan V500 gaming case; Windows 10 Pro 64bit
el badman's bandcamp
el badman
Last of the Meheecans

Next

Return to Other Basketball Games