NBA JAM: Legends On Fire Edition

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Re: NBA JAM: Legends On Fire Edition

Postby johnz1 on Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:16 am

shipdadoo wrote:Is there a way to customize the music and add your own?

I'm sure it can be done, but I don't know how to replace audio. I've extracted audio, but I'd love to be able to replace and cut up some of the announcer audio
johnz1

Postby craig020130 on Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:08 am

johnz1 wrote:
craig020130 wrote:
johnz1 wrote:
craig020130 wrote:Im not sure if its just me that sucks at this game but no matter how much i try the AI continues to whoop my arse game after game.. is it possible if you do another version of this to have the ability to change the cpu difficulty.. loving the game but sometimes it no fun when i cant win hahaha

Yep. The ability to change the Road Trip difficulty is in the bounce.db editor that will be included in the modding guide.
Until then, I suggest you play exhibition and build up from the lowest to the highest difficulty.

Thanks for the response mate.. looking forward to when you release the modding guide

You have probably been asked this 1000 times already but do you know how far off it will be

I stopped working on the tooling when the summer started. I'm going to resume very soon. I promise I'll have it out this year.

Appriciate the effort you are putting in and look forward to when its released
craig020130

Postby craig020130 on Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:17 pm

Hows the Modding Guide coming along
craig020130

Postby johnz1 on Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:13 pm

craig020130 wrote:Hows the Modding Guide coming along

It's definitely getting there, but it's hard work. The doc is up to 5,300 words and its not even close to complete. The spreadsheets, templates, images, and videos are almost done, but the writing is tough to do. Between work and life, it's tough to write documentation for more than an hour at a time
johnz1

Postby iastate7653 on Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:41 am

I know i'm late to the party but better late than never :)

Was super excited to see this mod to my favorite basketball game of all time! I have a jailbroken PS3 and loaded the mod successfully (installed the 2 installation package files) however when i go into the game i only have the 21 teams with limited rosters. I dont have the players from the decades (i.e. Jordan / Pippen, etc). How do i install those teams too?
iastate7653

Postby johnz1 on Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:29 am

iastate7653 wrote:I know i'm late to the party but better late than never :)

Was super excited to see this mod to my favorite basketball game of all time! I have a jailbroken PS3 and loaded the mod successfully (installed the 2 installation package files) however when i go into the game i only have the 21 teams with limited rosters. I dont have the players from the decades (i.e. Jordan / Pippen, etc). How do i install those teams too?

Sounds like you installed "On Fire Edition 2023": viewtopic.php?f=72&t=115019
"Legends On Fire Edition" is a different project. Both can be installed on the same system without conflicting with each other or the original OFE.
johnz1

Postby iastate7653 on Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:51 am

That was it (as you already knew).

Thanks again johnz1 for putting this together and keeping this game going!!

Out of curiosity - how did you determine player ratings? was it based on some algorithm or more subjective measures? no complaints - just curiosity.
iastate7653

Postby johnz1 on Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:43 am

iastate7653 wrote:Out of curiosity - how did you determine player ratings? was it based on some algorithm or more subjective measures? no complaints - just curiosity.

Just made by me. No algorithm. There are some ratings that look strange at first. There's a bunch of info about ratings in the readme doc

Enjoy!
johnz1

Postby craig020130 on Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:04 am

johnz1 wrote:
craig020130 wrote:Hows the Modding Guide coming along

It's definitely getting there, but it's hard work. The doc is up to 5,300 words and its not even close to complete. The spreadsheets, templates, images, and videos are almost done, but the writing is tough to do. Between work and life, it's tough to write documentation for more than an hour at a time

All good mate was just having a laugh with you.. I fully understand something like that would be absolutly massive and take ages to do...
craig020130

Postby BisonPride on Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:14 am

Just came across this mod. Absolutely amazing! I do not currently have the copy of the game. I am finding on ebay a PS3 version of the game but they dont list "on fire edition". Are those separate versions of the game or is that the correct one to purchase? Thank you for your help in advance!
BisonPride

Postby johnz1 on Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:31 am

BisonPride wrote:Just came across this mod. Absolutely amazing! I do not currently have the copy of the game. I am finding on ebay a PS3 version of the game but they dont list "on fire edition". Are those separate versions of the game or is that the correct one to purchase? Thank you for your help in advance!

From the readme: "Legally (and ethically), you must own the original NBA JAM: On Fire Edition in order to play this game."
The original game is not technically required. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to purchase NBA JAM OFE anymore. The PlayStation store doesn't even list it. The Xbox store lists it, but says "Not available separately": https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/store/ ... 1ZML21QD1N

Technically, you can play the mod without the original game. Legally (and ethically), I'm not sure what to tell you. I guess buy the original NBA JAM (2010) game?
johnz1

Postby johnz1 on Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:32 am

BisonPride wrote:Just came across this mod. Absolutely amazing! I do not currently have the copy of the game. I am finding on ebay a PS3 version of the game but they dont list "on fire edition". Are those separate versions of the game or is that the correct one to purchase? Thank you for your help in advance!

From the readme: "Legally (and ethically), you must own the original NBA JAM: On Fire Edition in order to play this game."
The original game is not technically required. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to purchase NBA JAM OFE anymore. The PlayStation store doesn't even list it. The Xbox store lists it, but says "Not available separately": https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/store/ ... 1ZML21QD1N

Technically, you can play the mod without the original game. Legally (and ethically), I'm not sure what to tell you. I guess buy the original NBA JAM (2010) game?
johnz1

Postby 9512tacoma on Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:54 pm

First Johnz1 this is great work. I have been watching the YouTube videos and it looks phenomenal.
I have a jail broke ps3 running hen 4.89. I own both nba jam disc and nba jam te digital edition on ps3.
I installed the 2 pkg files for legends edition and the icon shows up in the xmb menu and even plays the music but when I try and run the game the screen goes black and I let it set for over 10 minutes but no changes. I have to hold down start on the ps3 to shut down the console. Any ideas on how to get it to boot the game? Thanks Jeff
9512tacoma

Postby johnz1 on Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:50 am

9512tacoma wrote:I have a jail broke ps3 running hen 4.89. I own both nba jam disc and nba jam te digital edition on ps3.
I installed the 2 pkg files for legends edition and the icon shows up in the xmb menu and even plays the music but when I try and run the game the screen goes black and I let it set for over 10 minutes but no changes. I have to hold down start on the ps3 to shut down the console. Any ideas on how to get it to boot the game? Thanks Jeff

Is this a HEN PS3? If so, this is a known issue that I've heard from many people. Sorry, I really don't know much about PS3 jailbreaking (I exclusively play on RPCS3) and I don't have a solution. I hope one day someone finds a fix
johnz1

Postby johnz1 on Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:57 am

johnz1 wrote:
9512tacoma wrote:I have a jail broke ps3 running hen 4.89. I own both nba jam disc and nba jam te digital edition on ps3.

Is this a HEN PS3? If so, this is a known issue that I've heard from many people. Sorry, I really don't know much about PS3 jailbreaking (I exclusively play on RPCS3) and I don't have a solution. I hope one day someone finds a fix

There are a lot of seemingly-relevant results when I search the web for "ps3 hen black screen game won't load pkg". But I don't have time to go through them right now - nor the ability to test them
johnz1

Postby 9512tacoma on Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:03 am

No problem I just thought I would ask. My other pkg games seem to load just fine once they are installed.
I will some more research and report back if I find a solution. Thanks Jeff
9512tacoma

Postby sky2310 on Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:43 am

Hi Johnz1, Happy New Year with best wishes!

I signed up just to say thanks for your great effort in making this mod - it's breathed new life into the game and made it much more enjoyable and modern.

Just a couple of things that I would really love for you to look into when you get a second:

1) Some of the unlockables bought in the points store don't show up in the tour game team select screen such as the Air Jordan team characters (at least I cannot see where they appear) - I also unlocked some other classic teams and some show up and others don't.

2) As others have mentioned, the AI CPU is so difficult to beat which makes the game less fun - did you crank their AI up as seems much harder compared to the stock version? You mentioned previous data editing some file would allow their difficulties changed - are you able to briefly outline how to edit this file and the values to change?

Once again, many thanks for this very enjoyable mod to one of my favourite NBA games of all time! :bowdown:

Sky from Australia
sky2310

Postby johnz1 on Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:55 am

sky2310 wrote:Once again, many thanks for this very enjoyable mod to one of my favourite NBA games of all time! :bowdown:

Thanks! I'm very glad people enjoy it.

sky2310 wrote:1) Some of the unlockables bought in the points store don't show up in the tour game team select screen such as the Air Jordan team characters (at least I cannot see where they appear) - I also unlocked some other classic teams and some show up and others don't.

Ah, a bug! There are no teams to unlock. All the teams and players are unlocked and usable by default. However, this isn't reflected in the JAM Store. This was working before (years ago), but this is clearly a regression. It will be fixed in the next release. Thanks!

sky2310 wrote:2) As others have mentioned, the AI CPU is so difficult to beat which makes the game less fun - did you crank their AI up as seems much harder compared to the stock version?

The only change I made was to change every Road Trip matchup to the "Real AI" difficulty. I didn't tweak anything about how the computer plays - in exhibition or Road Trip. I've seen what

sky2310 wrote:You mentioned previous data editing some file would allow their difficulties changed - are you able to briefly outline how to edit this file and the values to change?

Yes, this is in the modding guide, which I'm still working on every day and should be released this month. Also, for the next release, I'm strongly considering some kind of "noob Road Trip" that isn't Real AI difficulty for every matchup.
johnz1

Postby sky2310 on Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:10 pm

johnz1 wrote:
sky2310 wrote:Once again, many thanks for this very enjoyable mod to one of my favourite NBA games of all time! :bowdown:

Thanks! I'm very glad people enjoy it.

sky2310 wrote:1) Some of the unlockables bought in the points store don't show up in the tour game team select screen such as the Air Jordan team characters (at least I cannot see where they appear) - I also unlocked some other classic teams and some show up and others don't.

Ah, a bug! There are no teams to unlock. All the teams and players are unlocked and usable by default. However, this isn't reflected in the JAM Store. This was working before (years ago), but this is clearly a regression. It will be fixed in the next release. Thanks!

sky2310 wrote:2) As others have mentioned, the AI CPU is so difficult to beat which makes the game less fun - did you crank their AI up as seems much harder compared to the stock version?

The only change I made was to change every Road Trip matchup to the "Real AI" difficulty. I didn't tweak anything about how the computer plays - in exhibition or Road Trip. I've seen what

sky2310 wrote:You mentioned previous data editing some file would allow their difficulties changed - are you able to briefly outline how to edit this file and the values to change?

Yes, this is in the modding guide, which I'm still working on every day and should be released this month. Also, for the next release, I'm strongly considering some kind of "noob Road Trip" that isn't Real AI difficulty for every matchup.

Hi again Johnz1, many thanks for your reply - it is much appreciated.

Below would be my dream wish list if and when you are able to include in your next v2.00 release:

1) Please unlock by default all the unlockable options/attributes in the Jam Store as currently nearly everything is greyed out and unlocking them with points don't seem to do anything
2) Reducing the AI difficulty in the Road Trip mode from Real AI to Easy or enabling a "Noob option" as you suggested would be great as at the moment the AI is too hard to beat
3) Adding a Washington Wizards version of Michael Jordan and pairing him up with Jerry Stackhouse to complete the MJ nostalgia would be unbelievable
4) Adding some more announcer voices for MJ's moves like "Air Jordan dunks in your face" would be amazing - not sure how difficulty this would be though

Many thanks buddy - this would be so amazing and we appreciate all your hard work! :applaud: :bowdown: :bowdown2:

Thanks, Sky
sky2310

Postby johnz1 on Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:58 am

sky2310 wrote:1) Please unlock by default all the unlockable options/attributes in the Jam Store as currently nearly everything is greyed out and unlocking them with points don't seem to do anything

For the record, you should be able to purchase and use icons, titles, backgrounds, privileges. The "players" and "teams" sections of the store should be ignored.

sky2310 wrote:3) Adding a Washington Wizards version of Michael Jordan and pairing him up with Jerry Stackhouse to complete the MJ nostalgia would be unbelievable

Good news: this is happening, but it won't be in Legends On Fire Edition. It will be in one of the new projects that I talk about here: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=115612
johnz1

Postby Shu_Ouma on Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:07 am

why is kyrie irvings 2pt rating an 8? hes one the best mid range shooters in history, same with layups, i seen the post where u talk about ratings, but that was only for 3pt,speed,dribble, etc
Shu_Ouma

Postby 9512tacoma on Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:23 pm

Today I got a PS3 slim model 2001A and I installed CFW 4.90 CEX and was able to install and play NBA Jam Legends on fire edition.
Loved playing as Jordan with the bulls and won my first game. Thanks Johnz1 for this great mod!!
9512tacoma

Postby sky2310 on Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:22 pm

johnz1 wrote:
sky2310 wrote:1) Please unlock by default all the unlockable options/attributes in the Jam Store as currently nearly everything is greyed out and unlocking them with points don't seem to do anything

For the record, you should be able to purchase and use icons, titles, backgrounds, privileges. The "players" and "teams" sections of the store should be ignored.

sky2310 wrote:3) Adding a Washington Wizards version of Michael Jordan and pairing him up with Jerry Stackhouse to complete the MJ nostalgia would be unbelievable

Good news: this is happening, but it won't be in Legends On Fire Edition. It will be in one of the new projects that I talk about here: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=115612

Hey Johnz1, many thanks for your reply and ongoing work on this. Do you have an ETA on when version 2.0 will be released with the bug fixes and a noob/easy setting for the Road Journey campaign or allow for the difficulty to be adjusted as currently the CPU is just too difficulty to enjoy playing to be honest.

Many thanks.
sky2310

Postby Shu_Ouma on Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:29 am

When’s the modding guide coming out? I thought It was coming out this month? It’s about to be February:/
Shu_Ouma

Postby johnz1 on Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:45 am

Shu_Ouma wrote:When’s the modding guide coming out? I thought It was coming out this month? It’s about to be February:/

Please understand that I'm just one man making something for free in my spare time. I'm not a company with investors and fixed deadlines.
I thought it would be done in December. It wasn't. I thought it would be done in January. It's not. Hopefully it'll be done in February, but I just don't know. Work on it has certainly slowed down the last few weeks, but I'm still making progress. I've been doing less writing and more improvement to the tools, templates, and reference sheets.
johnz1

PreviousNext

Return to Other Basketball Games