NBA 09 - The Inside

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

NBA 09 - The Inside

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:17 am

Kind of wanted to discuss this game. Who played it?

I never got my hands on it, but it was the last basketball game from this company. Going by the videos, it didn't look like the worst. The graphics weren't bad (Even unique), the jump shots also look really solid. I am sure the draw to this game was mycareer type mode, but what other features did you like in this game?

Actually, some of the mechanics look NBA Live-Esque.

phpBB [video]
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Re: NBA 09 - The Inside

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:48 am

I haven't played 09, but I did get my hands on a copy of 08 on PS2, which I covered for Wayback Wednesday a couple of months back: http://www.nba-live.com/ww-the-life-nba-08/

I wasn't a big fan of the story mode at all. It was an interesting concept, but rather tedious. Gameplay, at least on PS2, was definitely inferior to both NBA Live and NBA 2K.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:18 am

I wonder if its any better in 09 on next gen (now last gen). Maybe ill pick it up if I can find it around here.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:27 am

I'd be interested to know as well. I've only got a 360 from that generation, so I wouldn't be able to check it out, even if I could find it. The only PAL PS2 version I could find on eBay was 08, but I figured I'd pick it up to see what it was like, and write the feature on it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Murat on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:17 am

I used to play NBA 07. I remember putting up myself -50 in a game, still beating opponents in Hall Of Fame mode. A few months ago I tried to recreate something similar to Kobe's 81 point game performance. I found myself scoring like 55 with Kobe in the half while everyone else scored equally too. Too cheesy but sort of fun game.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby [Hyperize] on Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:24 pm

You and me are on the same wavelength lol. I made a thread for this here, and recently hinted at repurchasing the game in one of Andrew's articles. I just received my copy today for about $3 total off eBay (complete in box) for PS3; I owned it back in the day.

Thoughts years later: the game speed is a problem - your players fly way too fast across the court while using turbo. Honestly, the default non-turbo movement should be the sprint, and there should be a slowed walking animation. I was hoping there would be a game speed slider that I could lower as I was aware of this before purchase, but there is none. Secondly, I really wish there were custom control presets, because if I start a Franchise and actually consistently play this game it's going to mess with my 2K skills, since the controls vary considerably. Nothing is actually wrong with them; just a personal gripe. Believe it or not, I was actually considering making a Franchise story of this game in the stories section as a sort of surprise, but there is no way.

You mentioned the jumpshots looking nice; every player actually has the same release, ditto free throw.

By far my favorite exclusive mode to this game is the Skills Challenge. You can find a couple of videos of it on YouTube. No other NBA video game series has had it, and I just had a blast completing its three goals. My only complaint is in some scenarios it just warps you to the next station. The game also has the TNT scoreboard/overlays, which is awesome.

Overall I recommend picking this game up on PS3 if you can find it for under $5 just to see what it's like and to add it to your collection. It's a forgotten piece of NBA history, and not half bad considering when it was released. I feel like they kind of reached a tipping point/roadblock with this iteration and could no further, as this game doesn't vary much from NBA 08. As I said in the other thread, I would be so game to see what NBA 19 would look like, given the success of The Show.

A good way to put this game is if you let two CPU's run a demo it looks really solid (like better than NBA Live looked at the time), but if it's two humans playing together it will most likely look like a disaster.
[Hyperize]

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:29 am

Thank you for the breakdown, that's helpful.

In regards to season/franchise mode, I am not expecting anything deep, but can multiple teams be controlled in a season?

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Hyperize] on Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:29 am

Dee4Three wrote:In regards to season/franchise mode, I am not expecting anything deep, but can multiple teams be controlled in a season?

No, there really isn't much going on in that mode.

Probably the last thing I should add is there are actually D-League teams in this game (I'm assuming in support of 'The Life'); you can use them in quick play.

Edit: Took a deeper dive into Franchise mode, and it's quite pitiful actually; every player has an eternal contract. You can make trades and sign free agents, but as far as I can see there is no offseason free agency period, so it's trades, the draft and retirement.

I guess the reason I'm so fascinated by this game is because it reeks potential but comes nowhere close to touching it, plus, I'll be damned if I don't have a bit of nostalgia for the roster as it's right around when I first got into the league.
[Hyperize]

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:47 pm

cavs4872 wrote:Took a deeper dive into Franchise mode, and it's quite pitiful actually; every player has an eternal contract. You can make trades and sign free agents, but as far as I can see there is no offseason free agency period, so it's trades, the draft and retirement.

So I'm gonna bump this and say this was actually a lie, as I went through a few more season and it appears like every player is a restricted free agent, as after about three simmed seasons I never saw anyone better than a role player hit the market.

I may actually eyeball that franchise story after all... Probably the biggest buzzkill is there are no injuries. That could potentially be a good thing, but other than that, prospect scouting and all that other stuff is here.
[Hyperize]

Return to Other Basketball Games