Those old Sony games...

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Those old Sony games...

Postby [Hyperize] on Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:50 am

Once upon a time there was a third wheel in the NBA gaming competition... I always had a soft spot for these games - the TNT integration, Skills Challenge; there were some nice animations and the graphics were good for the time. Featured a career mode and cutscenes well before 2K, debuting in 2005, which was even before my time. I joined the site when their last console game released (09: The Inside), and I don't really remember anyone talking about it, granted by then it was on its last legs.

What did you guys think about these games? They are kind of a nice time piece now, but mostly forgotten. I would love to see their best effort on the current hardware. I can't even download any of the demos for a nice nostalgia rush... there are a lot of old demos I would like to download.
[Hyperize]

Re: Those old Sony games...

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:01 pm

I picked up NBA 08 off eBay last year. I need to spend some more time with it, as I'd like to do a Wayback Wednesday feature on it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Murat on Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:42 pm

Well, I sometimes play NBA 07 on PS2. The Story Mode is way better than what we had in NBA 2K series. You could skip cutscenes and there weren't much cringeworthy moments in the Story Mode. The season and playoffs modes were lackluster, however the gameplay pretty much reflected mid 2000's basketball - you can chuck with players like Kobe Bryant and Tracy McGrady.

On the other hand body models looked terrible. Players looked crappy. Same goes for uniforms too. The TNT integration looked exactly like what we had in 2005-06 season.

Sony's NBA series weren't as good as 2K and Live were, but they had a different taste. It's something like impossible but if Sony re-started these series, there would be a new competition for Live and 2K.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby [Hyperize] on Thu May 20, 2021 7:09 pm

Is it just me, or for anyone else in-the-know for this series, was NBA 08 way more polished than 09? It feels like for 09 they already knew they were on death's doorstep and it's way more jank as a result. I don't think 08 is worth me buying, but I would love to play that Cavs/Spurs demo again I played so many times in GameStop.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Fri May 21, 2021 4:09 am

I still need to spend more time with both, now that I have them on PS3. I feel they were pretty rough compared to Live and 2K in general, but it's possible they did phone it in with 09, knowing the writing was on the wall. Anyway, I'll fire them up sometime and compare.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat May 29, 2021 6:32 pm

Can't wait. Looking forward to both those write-ups if you ever do them.
[Hyperize]

Postby Andrew on Sun May 30, 2021 5:20 am

I did end up covering The Life in the PS2 version of NBA 08 not long after that post: https://www.nba-live.com/ww-the-life-nba-08/

But I'll definitely cover the PS3 versions in more detail now that I own them, and perhaps revisit the PS2 version as well. Good excuse to fire up the Elgato and get some screenshots, too. In fact, I already did get a couple of screenshots for an article about players who only played for certain teams in video games. I haven't used them yet because that article still has to be written, but here they are just for fun (it's Martynas Andriuskevicius on the Bulls, incidentally).

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to Other Basketball Games