NBA Playgrounds

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Re: NBA Playgrounds

Postby zzcoolj21 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:13 am

Looks like the patch is already live on PS4.
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:41 am

PC as well. Didn't expect it to be so quick.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:04 pm

So, the three-point contest is online only. That's rather disappointing. The game sorely needs more offline content.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:01 pm

Played an unranked game and beat Nick young with relative ease considering it took me a whole rack to figure where the meter was and that it was a basic t-meter thing. I had to channel my NBA live skills. Played two ranked games against ray Allen with bogies and curry and won the first but lost the last two in both matches. I seemed to go cold in the final round of both matches. Then I took Damian lillard and destroyed John Stockton controlled by someone who didn't know how to play. I wound up getting a 28 in the final round!

Also checked tournament difficulty as that was one of the changes. Beat the Nash/Cousy combo easily, but steals are still impossible to get. Went for the 6 steals challenge and managed 2 in a game where I played 2 Rondos and had a period of unlimited stamina
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:26 pm

I managed to get a shootout game earlier this evening. It's a logical approach I suppose, since the usual method would probably be too easy. Good idea making it the best of three rounds...I actually drew in one of the rounds!

I haven't noticed a big difference in the rebounding, but blocking seems a bit better. Difficulty does seem to be reduced a little in tournament games, except for stealing as you noted. Offline games still need to grant more XP; once you've completed all the tournaments, it's a huge grind to level up and get packs.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:50 am

Yeah I'm not high enough yet so a couple of 3 point shootouts leveled me up. I like the circle for rebounding so at least you're not jumping blind. My CPU Shaq was a bit lazy and got killed on the boards by Nash and cousy
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:59 am

The indicator for rebounds and loose balls is a good mechanic. Unfortunately, the grabbing/jumping mechanics are still a bit clunky, and as you said, the AI's effort still leaves something to be desired. CPU teammates still have a tendency to stand around doing nothing, and take their time to go up for alley-oops when you call for them.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:37 am

For those willing to pay to unlock everyone on the roster, that's now feasible.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:43 am

It's a shame to have to do this but there isn't enough gameplay to do it without paying. Plus, there are certain players that I want to get and I don't want to wait to randomly get them.

I kinda felt this way playing Ultimate Team in Live 15 as well
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:00 am

Agreed. If there was more offline content, or if you could repeat the Tournaments and get more XP for doing so, it wouldn't be necessary. With the amount of tedious grinding needed, however, it's kind of a necessity.

Some people in the community group on Facebook definitely aren't happy about it, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:04 pm

That's kind of the way games are going nowadays. They release part of a game and expect you to pay more later down the line. Capcom has the same model for the current iteration of Street Fighter where you can't simply earn enough points to unlock everything.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:22 pm

In fairness, they have added a lot of new content for free, so it seems feasible that they could add new tournaments and tweak the XP rewards. I definitely think they need to do that to enhance the replay value of the offline experience, but for the moment, a Roster Unlock isn't a bad option. I'm currently considering it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:55 pm

Yeah new tournaments will bring me back, but after I blow through them, there really isn't much of a desire to play the game. The 3 point contest was fun though. a good way to mix it up and put out a new way to play
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:22 pm

Matthew mentioned in the Facebook group that they're talking about the possibility of bringing the three-point contest offline, which would be nice. I guess it's one of those games where the replay value is meant to be online, and obviously there are a couple of options there now, but online play isn't for everyone. You look at a game like NBA Jam: On Fire Edition and its really deep Road Trip mode, and it's obvious that you can do a lot with the single player experience in an arcade basketball game. The framework is there with NBA Playgrounds and the tournaments, but there needs to be more of them, or you need to be able to play them again with different opponents and challenges after they've been completed.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby idans10 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:28 am

Hey guys,

I have this game for PC but I cannot start it because I get the famous 0xc000007b problem which I cannot figure it out yet.
I managed to fix it in PES 2017 for example but not for this game. Any one has any idea?
idans10

Postby Tha2KProphet on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:04 am

Is NBA Playgrounds Dead?
Try MY 2016/17 Roster For NBA 2K14

Here >>>: 2KShiftLeader's (Tha2KProphet) 2017 Roster | BHM

My Thread: viewtopic.php?f=153&t=98403
I'm dEaD :twisted:
Tha2KProphet
Everyone at NLSC thought I was joking when I said "LeBron is gonna come back from a 3-1 lead"

Postby [Q] on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:41 am

If not, it will be in a few weeks
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:48 am

I think it's ultimately been successful, but the lack of offline content has definitely affected its longevity.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:56 pm

No one has a reason to play this anymore, but they added a ton of players and some paid dlc tournaments
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:35 pm

It's good to see them adding some free content in the latest patch, but poor form putting more tournaments behind a paywall. The game has been sorely lacking in single player content, so that stuff should be free. People may cite the low price tag, but NBA Jam: On Fire Edition cost around as much, and had a much deeper experience.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:54 am

Yeah I agree I got way more out of Jam, but once I had to play robots, they lost me. I wish they had boss battles in OFE like the original
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:45 am

The Jam Bots were brutal, but seeing as how they threw your own tactics back at you, I suppose turnabout was fair play. The general depth of Road Trip was very impressive though, especially with the way it changed things up.

As far as Playgrounds is concerned though, I do like that they upped the XP for playing through the tournaments again. They absolutely needed to do that, because otherwise, it's a painful grind to keep unlocking and levelling up players.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:10 am

Patch 1.41 has come through, addressing an issue where the Roster Unlock DLC doesn't unlock the new free players added in 1.4, and optimising the Miami court (which of course you can't play unless you have the Hot N' Frosty DLC).
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:01 am

The Switch is receiving a new version of NBA Playgrounds, which will contain all of the free updates that the other platforms have already received.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:52 am

If you dont have this game, there's big sales (about 7€) : https://isthereanydeal.com/#/page:game/ ... laygrounds
sticky-fingers

PreviousNext

Return to Other Basketball Games