How "sim" are you?

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

How "sim" are you when it comes to playing basketball video games?

As realistic as possible, without exceptions. I'll even take midrange jumpshots in NBA Jam!
22%
Realistic for the most part, but I'll take some liberties. I prefer the stats and gameplay to resemble real basketball very closely.
22%
Kind of a mix; My style is reasonably sim, but I don't mind if the game's a bit up-tempo, or some stats are a bit inflated.
33%
Not flat out arcade/casual, but realism isn't all that important to me. Stats aren't that important.
11%
Completely arcade/casual. I'm dunking it every time, I'm not calling plays, and I have a player averaging 60 ppg!
11%

Total votes : 9

How "sim" are you?

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:38 pm

If you have to be completely honest, how much of a "sim" basketball gamer are you? After all, most of us say that we want NBA Live and NBA 2K to be as realistic as possible, but how closely do we adhere to that philosophy?

There have been times when I've discovered that I'm not as sim as I thought I was, in terms of the strategies I was using. There are times when I've definitely been looking to play a video game, and not basketball, contrary to Da_Czar's creed. These days, I feel like I play a fairly realistic brand of basketball in franchise modes and the like, when I'm controlling all five players on the court. I like to distribute the ball in a way that resembles the real life pecking order, and I do run plays, though I will often leave it up to the AI by using each game's respective "best play" option. I won't pass up open dunks or layups, but I'm not always trying to pound the ball inside for the slam.

Interestingly, when I've gone back and played some older basketball games with the tactics that are now effective in today's games - more true to life strategy, in other words - I've found that quite a few of them will play along, to some extent. It's made me realise that I definitely wasn't playing some of them as realistically as I thought I was, back in the day! I think I've been able to develop an increasingly realistic style as the games have allowed it, and actually rewarded it.

That's in traditional gameplay, however. When it comes to MyCAREER, I find that I'm willing to play a slightly looser style, and try to dunk a bit more often. I figure that it's already unrealistic enough that I'm playing in the NBA, so it won't hurt to take a few more liberties. To that end, for the purposes of 2K Pro-Am and MyCAREER, my player has far more athleticism and dunking ability than I possess. Having gone back and attempted to finish some of the games in NBA 2K11's Jordan Challenge that I missed the first time around, I'm also going with whatever tactics will reach the statistical goals. If driving it in for a dunk or layup on every play will get MJ the required points, that's what I've been doing.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: How "sim" are you?

Postby Jeffx on Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:14 pm

These are the things I do with the current Knicks(2k16) -

ISO either Carmelo, Rose or Jennings
POST UP either Carmelo or KP - depending on what the 'D' does, I'll take it to the hole or kick it to open shooters
P&R with Noah, Rose, Carmelo or Jennings as the ball handlers
Call plays to give Lee, Carmelo, KP, Rose, Jennings, Holiday, Thomas & Baker open looks

I'd say that's pretty sim.
Jeffx

Postby JaoSming on Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:02 pm

How "sim" are you?
lol
Opinions are my own.

JaoSming
2KTV Producer
NBA 2K Developer

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:08 pm

But do you make confusing trades and give up Draft picks to the Bulls?

Alright, that second one was more of an Isiah Thomas thing, but still.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby BPDHoplite on Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:38 am

NBA Jam : OFE on Xbox 360 ...,. I was Mr.Fundamentals right there boi! Mid-Range,Pull up, and I even did layups!
Used to be called DaCrispy

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkG6-Q ... 6S0t9jikJQ
NCAA Bsketball 18 - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=104626
College Hoops 2K - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=106815
Update Mods for NBA 2K11 - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=105434
Updated G-League for 2K11 - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=106723
Discord - https://discord.gg/J6mFNkeFDd
BPDHoplite
Still the NLSCs resident Jimmermaniac
Contributor

Return to Other Basketball Games