How do you approach franchise modes in basketball games?

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

What kind of franchise gamer are you?

No trades unless they happen in real life...at least in year one
No votes
Fairly realistic, but taking some liberties here and there
50%
Wheeler and dealer; lots of transactions, realistic or not
17%
Fantasy Draft Enthusiast
17%
Custom leagues, such as mixes of current and historical teams
No votes
The crazier the league, the better!
17%

Total votes : 6

How do you approach franchise modes in basketball games?

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:06 pm

What kind of franchise gamer are you? How realistic do you like to be?

Obviously, the longer you play a game in a franchise mode, the less like the real NBA it's going to be. You generally have to accept that there's a certain amount of fantasy involved, and deviation from reality. However, while I have changed it up here and there by bringing certain players out of retirement and making my own trades, I like to keep things fairly realistic, albeit not exactly mimicking real life. I've found that too many wacky trades, running with a fantasy draft, or doing something else that's too out of the ordinary ends up ruining my enjoyment when the novelty wears off. I'm not saying they're not fun ideas, just that they're generally not for me. I make my own experience, but I like to ground it somewhat in reality.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
Orange Juice, haha!
Administrator

Re: How do you approach franchise modes in basketball games?

Postby [Q] on Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:35 pm

I like doing fantasy drafts to try to build a team with all of the players that I am a fan of
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:33 pm

I've given it a try in the past, but like I said, I've found I've lost interest. I usually end up with a team that's too stacked, and the rest of the league is just too weird for my liking.
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
Orange Juice, haha!
Administrator

Postby jwin on Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:59 am

i use the sixers so the last few years have started off with simming the first couple of seasons usually to get a good point guard, small forward and shooting guard, then i try to keep the roster intact and improve till they're competitive.

this year i'm not sure if i'll play simmons at the point or small forward yet, but i'll play luwawu-cabarrot at the shooting guard and try to develop him, and draft for whichever position i don't play simmons at.

also waiting to see if they move one of the big men and what they get in return if they do, but playing all three in 2k16 worked okay so i don't have a problem with it if they keep all three.
jwin

Postby Jeffx on Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:51 am

With me, it's always been no trades at all. I play with the hand I'm dealt with, and build through the draft and free agency.

I always run with the Knicks, using an old skool, insde-out offense. Post up Carmelo, then kick it out to KP & Lee for open Js. Sometimes I have Noah bring the ball up, and do high P&Rs with either KP or Carmelo. With the bench, I call plays to give Jennings, Thomas, Holiday & Baker open looks. This year's squad has a lot of good shooters. I'm passing on 2k17 and sticking with 2k16.
Jeffx

Postby [Q] on Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:20 pm

Andrew wrote:I've given it a try in the past, but like I said, I've found I've lost interest. I usually end up with a team that's too stacked, and the rest of the league is just too weird for my liking.

2K16 did a pretty good job of making it difficult as the bench guys will become unhappy and disruptive
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:10 pm

I haven't tried it for years, but the whole "league is too weird and wacky straight away" is still an issue for me. But to each their own; I think the option absolutely should be in the game.

Jeffx wrote:With me, it's always been no trades at all. I play with the hand I'm dealt with, and build through the draft and free agency.

I always run with the Knicks, using an old skool, insde-out offense. Post up Carmelo, then kick it out to KP & Lee for open Js. Sometimes I have Noah bring the ball up, and do high P&Rs with either KP or Carmelo. With the bench, I call plays to give Jennings, Thomas, Holiday & Baker open looks. This year's squad has a lot of good shooters. I'm passing on 2k17 and sticking with 2k16.

"No trades" is definitely an interesting challenge that I've tried a few times before. You can always change things up with your lineup to make things interesting and find combinations that really work. You've really got to like (or come to like) the players, though!

Andrew
Orange Juice, haha!
Administrator

Postby Jeffx on Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:56 pm

Andrew wrote:I haven't tried it for years, but the whole "league is too weird and wacky straight away" is still an issue for me. But to each their own; I think the option absolutely should be in the game.

Jeffx wrote:With me, it's always been no trades at all. I play with the hand I'm dealt with, and build through the draft and free agency.

"No trades" is definitely an interesting challenge that I've tried a few times before. You can always change things up with your lineup to make things interesting and find combinations that really work. You've really got to like (or come to like) the players, though!

The Isiah Thomas Knicks (2007-08) were great for video gaming. Curry & Randolph were devastating in the paint, Lee was a rebounding monster, Jamal Crawford was instant offense, Marbury had sick handles and could score at will, Wilson Chandler was an excellent all-around player who could play the 2, 3 or 4, and I had lockdown defenders in Chandler, Jared Jeffries & Renaldo Balkman.

With the Pringles Knicks, pick & roll using Amare & Carmelo - unstoppable. The current Knicks can kill you inside or outside. Noah is an extra PG, only much taller.
Jeffx

Postby Andrew on Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:21 am

So many teams fared a lot better in video games. The Clippers with Brand, Odom, Miller, and Olowokandi (or the squad from the year before with Darius Miles instead of Andre Miller) were fun to play with and generally much more successful than their real life counterparts.

Andrew
Orange Juice, haha!
Administrator

Return to Other Basketball Games