What was the first basketball video game you played?

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

What was the first basketball video game you played?

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:20 pm

I'm having trouble remembering whether it was NBA Live 95 or NBA Jam Tournament Edition, but I have a feeling it's one of the two for me. They're both certainly two of the earliest I played, and spent a considerable amount of time with.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: What was the first basketball video game you played?

Postby Patr1ck on Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:07 am

Probably Double Dribble in the arcade. At home it was One on One: Dr J vs Larry Bird on Atari 2600(I think).
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:39 am

Nicely old school. (Y)
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:25 pm

I had Double Dribble on NES
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:37 pm

Solid. (Y) Those cutscenes were a fan way of getting around the lack of realistic animations in the 8-bit era.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:28 pm

I was a fan of the nba so it was hard playing a basketball game without real teams.

Once I got super Nintendo I wound up getting nba all star challenge
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:45 pm

Picked that up years later. Kind of a disappointment in some respects, as I said in the Wayback Wednesday feature.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:24 am

Double Dribble, but here are the games ive owned.

Double Dribble
Arch Rivals
Jordan vs Bird
Double Dribble (Sega Genesis)
Bulls vs Blazers
Tecmo Super NBA Basketball
NBA Showdown
Tiny Toons Acme Sports Challenge (3 on 3)
NBA All-Star Challenge
Bill Laimbeers Combat Basketball
NBA Jam (Sega CD)
NBA Jam TE
College Slam
White Men Cant Jump
Slam City with Scottie Pippen
NBA Showtime: NBA on NBC
Coach K College Basketball
Dick Vitales Awesome Baby College Basketball
NCAA Final Four
NBA Fastbreak 98
NCAA Final Four 99
NBA in the zone 2, 98 and 99
NBA Shootout 2002
NBA Ballers
NBA Street
NBA Street Volume 2
NBA Inside Drive 2002, 2003, 2004
NBA Live 95,96,97,98,99,00,01,02,03,04,05,06,09, 14, 15, 16
NBA 2K, 2k1, 2k2, 2k3, 2k4, 2k5, 2k6, 2k7, 2k8, 2k9, 2k10, 2k11, 2k12, 2k13. 2k14, 2k15, 2k16, 2k17

Obviously not in that specific order.. but making this post made me feel super old.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:48 am

That's a fine collection over the years. How many of them do you still own? (Actually, that's really another thread altogether.)

What was Slam City like? I've only seen snippets from the Angry Video Game Nerd review, and it looked pretty underwhelming.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:37 pm

Andrew wrote:That's a fine collection over the years. How many of them do you still own? (Actually, that's really another thread altogether.)

What was Slam City like? I've only seen snippets from the Angry Video Game Nerd review, and it looked pretty underwhelming.

I still own NBA Live 09, Live 16, NBA 2k9, 11, 12, 13, 14,15 16, 17. I don't own the others anymore because I don't have the systems, which is unfortunate.

Honestly, Slam City was cool because in the age of games having pretty poor graphics (Even though we didn't realize it at the time...) it featured you playing against real video. You basically played a bunch of made up players (With really cheesy acting and cutscenes), and your final matchup was with Pippen. It was a pretty tough game, we played it a lot back than. However, I'm kind of an oddball with certain things I like compared to the average guy. The movie Blue Chips (with Penny and Shaq) is one of my favorite movies of all time... but it was ranked in the top 5 worst sport movies ever I believe...

NBA 2K17 is already an instant classic for me, the gameplay is amazing. A couple games on my list that nobody talks about are College Slam and Dick Vitales Awesome Baby College Basketball. College Slam was awesome, not only did it have a great selection of teams (With fake players), but you as the user had the ability to rename the players on the teams, however I don't think it saved the names after you shut the game off. Dick Vitales game was the same camera angle as NCAA Basketball (SNES), and had a similar feel. Both games got a lot of play by me.

Also, NBA Fastbreak 98 (The first 2k) was the first basketball game where I went "Oh my god... this looks amazing". It was a huge eye opener to me, I started comparing all basketball games at the time to that one as the standard.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:12 pm

So it was basically Quick Time Events? That's the impression that I got.

Is NBA Fastbreak '98 actually part of 2K's lineage? It was published by Visual Concepts, but it was actually developed by Midway, the studio that did NBA Jam. Visual Concepts developed NBA Action '98 (which was published by Sega Sports), so as far as I was aware, it's the one that's part of 2K's lineage.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:19 pm

Andrew wrote:So it was basically Quick Time Events? That's the impression that I got.

Is NBA Fastbreak '98 actually part of 2K's lineage? It was published by Visual Concepts, but it was actually developed by Midway, the studio that did NBA Jam. Visual Concepts developed NBA Action '98 (which was published by Sega Sports), so as far as I was aware, it's the one that's part of 2K's lineage.

Yeah its part of the lineage, I always call it the first 2K (because of visual concepts). Fastbreak 98... so many memories.

Yeah, basically with Slam City, you would see your player on offense with the ball against the video, and on defense you would see your player and you would try and stay in front of the video. It was a strange concept...

phpBB [video]

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:40 pm

The thing is, Visual Concepts wasn't actually the developer on Fastbreak '98; Midway was. Visual Concepts did develop NBA Action '98, so I'm pretty sure that's the one that's part of the lineage. I guess either way, they were involved with a couple of games during the 1998 season. One could perhaps say that in some respects, the 2K series traces its history to both games.

Those QTE games were definitely popular on the Sega CD. I guess it was kind of a novel gimmick for the time, and made use of the extra storage space of CDs.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:42 pm

Andrew wrote:The thing is, Visual Concepts wasn't actually the developer on Fastbreak '98; Midway was. Visual Concepts did develop NBA Action '98, so I'm pretty sure that's the one that's part of the lineage. I guess either way, they were involved with a couple of games during the 1998 season. One could perhaps say that in some respects, the 2K series traces its history to both games.

Those QTE games were definitely popular on the Sega CD. I guess it was kind of a novel gimmick for the time, and made use of the extra storage space of CDs.

Yeah, ive seen video of NBA Action 98 and NBA Fastbreak 98, and the games look identical.

And Fastbreak 98 was Visual Concepts as well, take a look at the video at 1:08.

phpBB [video]

What a sweet intro... so many memories

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:48 pm

They're listed as the publisher, so they were definitely involved.

Anyway, I've played NBA Action '98, but not NBA Fastbreak '98. I still feel that NBA Live 98 was the best all around product from that season based on my comparisons to Action, but I wouldn't mind tracking down Fastbreak for the collection, to see what it's like as well.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:54 pm

Andrew wrote:They're listed as the publisher, so they were definitely involved.

Anyway, I've played NBA Action '98, but not NBA Fastbreak '98. I still feel that NBA Live 98 was the best all around product from that season based on my comparisons to Action, but I wouldn't mind tracking down Fastbreak for the collection, to see what it's like as well.

Yeah, wouldn't be bad for the collection. I should buy a cheap PS1 and get it back.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:00 pm

I just play them on my PS2, though I picked up a couple of PS1 memory cards so that I can save games.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:30 am

Andrew wrote:I just play them on my PS2, though I picked up a couple of PS1 memory cards so that I can save games.

I kind of miss the memory card way. I remember how exciting it was to get one and save progress on it.

I think It would be cool to look at this, which basketball games did people play first on the respective systems. For me it was:

NES: Double Dribble
SNES: Tecmo Super NBA Basketball
SEGA Genesis: NBA Live 95
Sega CD: NBA JAM
Jaguar 64: White Men Cant Jump
PC: NBA Live 98
Playstation: NBA Fastbreak 98
N64: NBA Live 2000
Dreamcast: NBA 2K
Playstation 2: NBA Live 2001
XBOX: NBA Inside Drive 2002
XBOX 360: NBA 2K6
XBOX ONE: NBA 2K14

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:47 am

Good idea!

PC: NBA Jam Tournament Edition
NES: Tecmo NBA Basketball*
SNES: NBA Live 95
N64: NBA Hangtime
PS1: Total NBA '96**
PS2: NBA Live 2002
PS3: NBA Live 09***
360: NBA Live 07****
PS4: NBA Live 14

* Many, many years after it came out.
** Only recently, actually, since I added it to my collection via eBay and played it on my PS2. I didn't have a PS1, I was strictly Nintendo and PC back then.
*** I bought it for my cousin for his birthday, and we played it on his PS3. I had a 360 that generation.
**** I actually played NBA Live 07 on 360 before I owned a 360, and before the game even came out, as I got some hands on time with it at the NBA Live 07 community event in Vancouver.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:09 am

Andrew wrote:Good idea!

PC: NBA Jam Tournament Edition
NES: Tecmo NBA Basketball*
SNES: NBA Live 95
N64: NBA Hangtime
PS1: Total NBA '96**
PS2: NBA Live 2002
PS3: NBA Live 09***
360: NBA Live 07****
PS4: NBA Live 14

* Many, many years after it came out.
** Only recently, actually, since I added it to my collection via eBay and played it on my PS2. I didn't have a PS1, I was strictly Nintendo and PC back then.
*** I bought it for my cousin for his birthday, and we played it on his PS3. I had a 360 that generation.
**** I actually played NBA Live 07 on 360 before I owned a 360, and before the game even came out, as I got some hands on time with it at the NBA Live 07 community event in Vancouver.

Total NBA 96? I had never heard of it! Looks awesome though, reminds me of NBA in the zone 2 (one of my favorite classics) I wonder what modes it had.

phpBB [video]

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:29 am

That was the name of the NBA ShootOut series in PAL regions. The NBA In The Zone series was actually also renamed NBA Pro here in Australia.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:34 pm

Andrew wrote:That was the name of the NBA ShootOut series in PAL regions. The NBA In The Zone series was actually also renamed NBA Pro here in Australia.

That's crazy. I learned something new.

I wish other companies would entertain putting basketball games out, but I am sure even if they wanted to they probably wouldn't... 2K is to intimidating.

Ha.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby CarolusXCI on Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:31 am

NBA Jam for snes. For pc, I remember playing the demo of NBA Live 98 back then, but by that time I didn't know much about basketball so I didn't care. Then I started playing real basketball, and after a while I borrowed a copy of NBA Live 2000 from a good friend of mine and never returned it.
CarolusXCI

Postby CarolusXCI on Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:37 am

By the way, I just played NBA Live 2000 like 2 hours ago. Of course, using another copy (bought 2 or 3 years ago), since that one borrowed from my friend broke inside my cd-rom drive, probably due to overuse. hahaha
CarolusXCI

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:17 am

I remember trying to play the demo of NBA Live 98 on a 486 PC with no dedicated graphics card. It didn't go so well. :lol:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Next

Return to Other Basketball Games