Who wants to see a new NBA Jam and/or NBA Street game?

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Would you like to see a new NBA Jam and/or NBA Street game?

Yes, NBA Jam
10%
Yes, NBA Street
70%
Yes, both
20%
No, neither
No votes

Total votes : 10

Who wants to see a new NBA Jam and/or NBA Street game?

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:14 pm

Unfortunately there aren't any whispers about either happening anytime soon, but I for one would really like to see both a new NBA Jam and NBA Street game on the current generation. While I do love the sim-oriented games, and want to see them continue to strive for more and more realism, I think there's always a place for two-on-two and three-on-three arcade-style basketball games. Beyond appealing to more casual sports gamers, I also feel they provide an entertaining change of pace every now and then for hardcore hoops gamers as well.

I feel the biggest challenge in both of them is to avoid the repetitive play that's plagued many of their predecessors. There are some classic Jam and Street games, but a lot of them come down to repeating the same strategy until the final buzzer, or hitting the target score: push the opponent to steal the ball, score, and repeat. To that end, NBA Jam: On Fire Edition changed things up with its Real AI, though there was still room for improvement there. I also think there would have to be a few different modes in addition to the campaign/tournament mode, like the mini-games that the 2010 reboot of NBA Jam featured, as well as the Remix games and their equivalents in OFE.

NBA Street Homecourt had a few RPG-like elements, with stats building and the ability to recruit players. I think that'd be something that would need to be built upon in a new Street game. While I haven't been a fan of the cutscene-heavy story approach in NBA 2K's MyCAREER these past few years, I wouldn't mind Street messing around with that concept.

For Jam, I'd also want to see more dunks. As much as I liked Jam 2010 and OFE, it felt like the players were always doing the same dunks. That's kind of true of the classic Jam games as well, but there were obviously more limitations there. If a new Jam game was to be made, I'd want to see a huge amount of insane dunks, including some stuff we've never seen in Jam before. Hey, maybe bring in Zach LaVine and Aaron Gordon, and get them to do some mo-cap on a seven foot rim!
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Who wants to see a new NBA Jam and/or NBA Street game?

Postby Murat on Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:30 am

NBA Street v3 was so epic. It's the only game that I finished more than once.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby [Q] on Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:20 am

I would seriously buy a street 2 port on ps4. For $60
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:52 am

I'd probably want a slight price reduction, but I'd definitely consider buying ports of the first four Street games, if they came to PS4 (as the GTA series has). I still want to see OFE on PS4, though, if not a brand new game.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby benji on Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:59 pm

They burned out Street, much like Skate, and ironically much like Midway did Jam.

Then for whatever reason scrounged up Jam to rehash instead of taking advantage of everything the "Street universe" allows.

I think they should go back and steal chunks of 2K's 24/7 mode. Street already had some similar mechanics like stealing teammates and such. Though IIRC in 24/7, they were only for 2-on-2 and 3-on-3 games as much of it was 1-on-1. You started off with some god awful randomly created guys who could be like green.

Also the cards and leveling up stuff from modern 2K.

You know what's crazy. Homecourt was almost 10 years ago. And it natively rendered in 1080p on the 360. That's silly.

Street Online /2 is one of those weird things like running three separate F2P Battlefield's that EA does where it makes you wonder if anyone's in charge.
benji

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:07 pm

I'd say nostalgia is the main reason they resurrected the Jam franchise. On Fire Edition turned out great, so I'd say it was worth it. The reboot the previous year is a bit underrated, but definitely suffered from the circumstances surrounding NBA Elite 11. It was also perhaps a bit too faithful to the original Jam games in some respects, which meant it aped aspects that were outdated and gamers were burned out on.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby benji on Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:23 pm

Jam's always been a more constrained design wise and little ways to expand because it's inherently an arcade game. Online was roughly the one thing that could be added decently.

Jam as a $50 retail game was always dumb. I wouldn't be surprised if they've sold a hundred times as many of the iOS/Android version.
benji

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:48 pm

The Real AI in OFE changed things up a bit, as did the Remix Tour/Road Trip. The mini-games in Jam 2010 were fun, too. But yeah, the concept has its limitations, for sure.

A player creation/RPG element might be one way of adding something new.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby benji on Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:12 pm

I think that, really all that stuff, would still work better within the Street franchise. Street is essentially a three/four button game like Jam is, but it can be more than that without drastic changes to the root gameplay, instead just adding things to the edges like analog control for the tricks/etc.

Ideally, EA could toss out a Street game with retail in mind every three/four years or so, and then a Jam game as a digital download every three/four years or so, offset releases. As a side-series to Live.

They pumped out four Street games in six years, and Midway pumped out Jam games every year for a while. But if there's bigger gaps there, there's room to breathe.

And the games don't need to be as up-to-date roster wise and such as the main titles do.

Especially when they do, as they did some in Vol. 2, try to establish the players as a particular "type" more than a realistic representation of how they'd truly play. (Which Jam also basically did in its original form. You had 50+ named and imaged players, but there were really only six or seven different types that were basically interchangeable within their type.) I seem to recall the first Street as trying to be less exaggerated with the players playing more like they did in Live than they would in Vol. 2. But I don't own that one anymore so it's been quite some time since I've played it.
benji

Postby Andrew on Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:19 pm

I think that would definitely be the sensible way to do it. Push through some roster updates, and there's no need to release brand new games every year, as with Live.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to Other Basketball Games