NBA JAM: Legends On Fire Edition

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Re: NBA JAM: Legends On Fire Edition

Postby CelticsBird33 on Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:03 pm

You should be able to, somehow, exclude people from being able to get any future updates that ask questions in regards to "eta" and "difficulty settings"... Kinda like the soup nazi on Seinfeld. No game for you!!
CelticsBird33

Postby CelticsBird33 on Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:52 pm

One more thing... johnz1 is doing something pretty friggin remarkable with his free time. This project is pretty Awesome. It should be noted and respected as such going further...

Also... Suns Chuck needs a 5 3pt rating, and Philly Chuck needs an 8 blk and a 9 str. The Staples Center needs to be replaced by The Forum court... The Staples Center is lame. The Bird/McHale Celtics are the best team in the game and should remain as such. The only other thing that would be paramount is Johnny Most sayin "Boomshakalaka!!". Thank you johnz1 for your tireless efforts.
CelticsBird33

Postby LRatafia on Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:15 am

Hi there, is Latrell Spreewell on this or any mod? hehe
LRatafia

Postby johnz1 on Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:07 am

LRatafia wrote:Hi there, is Latrell Spreewell on this or any mod? hehe

He's on MIN 2000's in v1.1 and he will also be on NYK 1990's in v2.0
johnz1

Postby drjones on Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:58 am

Where can I learn how to do what you are doing? Or at least mod when your guide comes out? I want to create similar updates to legacy games and wanted to ask the best. Thanks in advance
drjones

Postby RayRay_953 on Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:58 am

Just tried the mod today after modding my PS3 and this is one of the best virtual basketball experiences I've had in a long time! The teams featured really make it feel like the ultimate experience for both a Jam and retro fan. I've tested this on the 4.91 Evilnat CFW and so far I haven't run into any issues and I'm having a blast right now! Fantastic work!
RayRay_953

Postby johnz1 on Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:22 am

drjones wrote:Where can I learn how to do what you are doing? Or at least mod when your guide comes out? I want to create similar updates to legacy games and wanted to ask the best. Thanks in advance

Thank you, but let me assure you that I'm not any kind of expert in rom hacking and modding. The people decompiling games are the real heroes. Check them out if you haven't heard of these projects:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/decomp ... ta.682687/
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/05/ ... urce-code/

I don't have a great answer for a starting place. I think romhacking.net's guide is OK (https://www.romhacking.net/start) but, as with any guide you'll find, it may not be exactly relevant to what you'll want to work on.

With reverse engineering, it's really best to learn as much as you can about everything, starting from the ground up, because you never really know what is required when you start working on a game. I know this is very generic and possibly unhelpful advice, but that's really how it is. You usually have to have a solid foundation of knowledge about data storage and representation, hex editing, compression, and many other low-level topics. Related to this, I would find documentation on games that have already been hacked and try to edit them manually (don't use any game-specific tools) using the technical information that has been provided. The purpose of this would be to become comfortable with how things can be implemented with a variety of games.
johnz1

Postby johnz1 on Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:23 am

RayRay_953 wrote:Just tried the mod today after modding my PS3 and this is one of the best virtual basketball experiences I've had in a long time! The teams featured really make it feel like the ultimate experience for both a Jam and retro fan. I've tested this on the 4.91 Evilnat CFW and so far I haven't run into any issues and I'm having a blast right now! Fantastic work!

That's great! Thank you, it's really great to get positive feedback without any strings attached :D
johnz1

Postby nickosborn on Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:29 am

Anybody ever figure out how to get this on a PS3?
nickosborn

Postby nickosborn on Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:23 am

Nm, I got it. Great work!
nickosborn

Postby Shu_Ouma on Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:55 am

has the modding guide come out yet? it was supposed to be out months ago, no?
Shu_Ouma

Previous

Return to Other Basketball Games