nbajam android modding anyone?

Talk about any and all other basketball video games including NBA Jam, NBA Street, college basketball games, and more. General basketball video game discussion and comparison topics are also welcome here.

Re: nbajam android modding anyone?

Postby JamCentral on Mon May 14, 2018 1:10 pm

theBirchman wrote:Hey guys. I know this thread has been dead for awhile, but I recently came back to it as a side project. I've been wanting to either a) update the rosters for 2018 or b) do a full conversion mod into something like NCAA JAM.

Anyway, the reason I'm bumping this is because I actually figured out how to edit and re-insert audio. It was a bit of a pain to figure out, but now that I've got it, it's actually really easy (if not a little time-consuming) to pull off. If anyone wants a how-to, let me know and I can write something up.

I know a lot of people have had questions about changing display names -- that's my next (and final) task before I could officially begin work on a mod (I wouldn't want to change everything BUT display names, that would bother me to no end).

What I've discovered so far is that the .btp file you used to be able to hex edit to change display names doesn't work anymore after the 4.0 update. During that update, they added some new players (which became HUGELY crucial to audio modding, so you win some you lose some) AND added some .vars files. I think those files, which seem to act as some sort of player/team database and reference sheet, are the key to unlocking display names.

I'll keep people updated as I continue to make progress.
JamCentral

Postby raidersbball20 on Mon May 14, 2018 2:56 pm

Some nice advances here. This game deserves a total mod. Unfortunately I was just swamped to finish mine. Good to know the names can be changed but man that's alot of work unfortunately.
raidersbball20

Postby raidersbball20 on Mon May 14, 2018 3:03 pm

So much can be done! Even the loading screens and app icon during installation can be edited with apk editor pro.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
raidersbball20

Postby JamCentral on Tue May 15, 2018 9:14 am

raidersbball20 wrote:Some nice advances here. This game deserves a total mod. Unfortunately I was just swamped to finish mine. Good to know the names can be changed but man that's alot of work unfortunately.

I have been working to create a full conversion mod to NCAA so it would be like College Slam remastered.
JamCentral

Postby JamCentral on Tue May 15, 2018 9:18 am

I have created a few pvr which I will upload but here is throwback vinsanty. I created the jersey. I am not currently able to access a computer so if anyone would please compress my png files for me so that I can create ncaa mod please say so.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JamCentral

Postby JamCentral on Tue May 15, 2018 9:23 am

I also added a few more characters and made new controls.
If anyone wants a download just request I made a few more as you will see.
JamCentral

Postby JamCentral on Wed May 16, 2018 8:15 am

My NCAA mod is a work in progress so far I have edited two teams, the menu, and two players.

I used HEAT as DUKE
And WARRIORS as OKLAHOMA.

I also edited the scoreboard.

There will be a video of the game on my youtube channel JamCentral✓ I have only 10 subs so please help out.

CURRY as YOUNG and
MCHALE as BAGLEY

I also updated the icon for the app.

If anyone knows how to edit music please reply.

Any ideas for the roster um doing one current player and one player who has been to the schook and is now in the NBA.
JamCentral

Postby sdot_thadon on Wed May 16, 2018 1:36 pm

theBirchman wrote:Thanks to miky's huge assist, I've finally figured out how to update display names in v4.

I'll give the basic overview, but feel free to respond if anything is unclear.

There are 4 major files you'll need to update in order to change the display name: 0, g, i & the Players Console csv. Here's some detail on what's necessary for each:
  1. NBAJAM_Players_Console.csv :
    1. First, pick a player to update who has the same number of letters in their last name as what you're going to be replacing it with. For instance, I could replace Ricky Rubio with Karl-Anthony Towns, but NOT Jimmy Butler.
    2. Secondly, update AttribKey to be firstname_lastname (karl_towns) and ReflectionKey to firstname_lastname_r (karl_towns_r).
    3. Finally, change the LastName column (TOWNS). [Note, you can change other columns, but it's unnecessary for name-changing specifically]
  2. g :
    1. Update the .pvr texture filenames to match the firstname_lastname used in the step above, plus the home or away designation.
    2. Example: ricky_rubio_home.pvr will become karl_towns_home.pvr (repeat for the away skin as well)
  3. i :
    1. Note the ID # of the player you're replacing (which can be found in the players csv file in column A
    2. Change the .png filename to [ID#]_LastName. In this case, 229_RUBIO.png becomes 229_TOWNS.png
  4. 0
    1. Open this file with a Hex Editor of your choice.
    2. Ctrl-F or scroll to find the .png file from step 3 of the player you're replacing
    3. OVERWRITE the filename (or just the last name, since that's all that should be different) with your update (again, this will be 229_TOWNS.png). Don't edit anything else!
    4. Save and exit.

Now you can import and replace these files in your res folder location. If you did everything right, you should see the updated name displayed.

Two things to note:
  • In this case, Ricky Rubio didn't have an audio files, so we didn't have to do anything with the AudioManager.vars file. I'm certain we probably would have to going forward, but that seems a bit trickier. That's what I'm going to test next.
  • You can add your own players and assign them to unused IDs, but it's a couple of extra steps. Once I do that successfully, I can answer questions/update this how-to with the details.

Let me know if you have any questions. Also, again, big ups to miky!

This is great progress guys, it's been a while but last I messed around with the files I was experimenting with changing the names with no luck. Seems like the 0 file was the last piece I didnt have luck hex editing. So no changes to the var files are needed? And you should write up the methods to replace the audio and add new player id #'s. Pretty excited to try some of this out.
Who's the GOAT?
sdot_thadon

Postby JamCentral on Wed May 16, 2018 2:16 pm

https://youtu.be/k4xHrRiinhE
NCAA JAM MOD VIDEO LINK!!!!

For the next team I'm thinking UCLA with Jaylen Hands and Russell Westbrook
JamCentral

Postby sdot_thadon on Thu May 17, 2018 9:05 am

That's nice work so far, I'm glad to see other guys picking up the game to mod.
Who's the GOAT?
sdot_thadon

Postby JamCentral on Fri May 18, 2018 1:09 pm

For the Demo release here are the four teams Mo Bamba + Kevin Durant on Texas and Jaylen Hands + Russell Westbrook on UCLA along with Duke and Oklahoma which were shown in the earlier post. There will be more teams any suggestions I know the draft is coming soon so I this is kind of a bad time to release a mod like this.
JamCentral

Postby JamCentral on Fri May 18, 2018 2:48 pm

I have figured out a method to use PVRTexTool on mobile devices. You need to download ExaGear app and have alot of storage. Download PVRTexToolGUI.exe and move it into the ExaGear folder it will take a long time to load because it is extracting. For me I haven't gotten past that part because I don't have enough storage so when it loads it's says not enough storage on disk to extract so if you have good storage try this method and tell me your outcome. There is also another method that worked for me using an app called PVRViewer.exe with ExaGear it doesn't open NBA Jams PVR files but it does compress to pvr the pvr files don't work though I think it might be because encoding options which the application doesn't have.

PVRViewer File - https://mega.nz/#!MAsEhRDS!-yo9g8sKgXld ... nRH7h2mLkM

PvrTexTool File -https://mega.nz/#!IddkHI5K!3j33N0THq7D-ZWPpxOnk5roqYXMsGCKJI2rAr2L9Oig
JamCentral

Postby JamCentral on Sun May 27, 2018 3:54 pm

https://youtu.be/sB62h8-LqQQ New NCAA Jam video.
JamCentral

Postby JamCentral on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:03 am

If anyone is still active I am creating a jersey patch for NBA Jam which swaps the old jerseys with new nike statement jerseys!! Here is a quick look at one I rushed through.
JamCentral

Postby JamCentral on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:06 am

Minnesota Jersey already done I rushed.
JamCentral

Postby RetroFuture on Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:55 pm

Love this thread! :D
RetroFuture

Postby RetroFuture on Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:58 pm

JamCentral wrote:https://youtu.be/sB62h8-LqQQ New NCAA Jam video.

Beautiful! What platform is this for?
RetroFuture

Postby JamCentral on Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:04 pm

RetroFuture wrote:
JamCentral wrote:https://youtu.be/sB62h8-LqQQ New NCAA Jam video.

Beautiful! What platform is this for?

For mobile devices !!
JamCentral

Postby JamCentral on Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:33 am

Now that we've figured out textures does anyone know how to change the audio in the game this would be very helpful!
JamCentral

Postby jeter17 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:33 pm

JamCentral wrote:Now that we've figured out textures does anyone know how to change the audio in the game this would be very helpful!

I got the same problem in audio modding :( And anyone moded the lastest version jam?It seem to be locked by EA..
How about we make a google drive to share the updated rosters?to avoid adding the same one.
jeter17

Postby JamCentral on Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:53 am

jeter17 wrote:
JamCentral wrote:Now that we've figured out textures does anyone know how to change the audio in the game this would be very helpful!

I got the same problem in audio modding :( And anyone moded the lastest version jam?It seem to be locked by EA..
How about we make a google drive to share the updated rosters?to avoid adding the same one.

Yes I will upload some files which ones though also I have a problem I don't have full access to the to a computer and more so I need someone I can partner with to help me make and convert textures to produce this game!
JamCentral

Postby JamCentral on Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:05 am

I have created a jersey template which makes it easy to create many types of jerseys! They're pretty easy to use just make then add on to players texture on top of the old jersey here is the template I have also made a very useful player template so that you can create players from scratch!
JamCentral

Postby jeter17 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:17 pm

JamCentral wrote:Yes I will upload some files which ones though also I have a problem I don't have full access to the to a computer and more so I need someone I can partner with to help me make and convert textures to produce this game!

Create a google drive and I'll upload the new players which I made like I.Thomas and J.Randle.Will anyone else share your player texture files? :bowdown2:
jeter17

Postby JamCentral on Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:26 am

jeter17 wrote:
JamCentral wrote:Yes I will upload some files which ones though also I have a problem I don't have full access to the to a computer and more so I need someone I can partner with to help me make and convert textures to produce this game!

Create a google drive and I'll upload the new players which I made like I.Thomas and J.Randle.Will anyone else share your player texture files? :bowdown2:

Absolutely will you link some of your files! I need some files to be converted if you will
JamCentral

Postby jeter17 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:52 am

JamCentral wrote:
jeter17 wrote:

Absolutely will you link some of your files! I need some files to be converted if you will

I have created a gdrive that ID is nlsc2k18. I'll pm password to you.
jeter17

PreviousNext

Return to Other Basketball Games