Dynasty focused [Simulation Engine] patch

Talk about NBA Live 07 here.

Postby e-mat on Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:31 am

chipper wrote:I dont think that's necessary, Chris.
Players' heights are somewhat already taken into account in their primacy, rebound and block ratings
and using player's heights to affect the primacy is somewhat redundant if you know what i mean.
Maybe you should just average out reb and blk ratings and use them as an indication for a player's height.

Still, most short guys who survive in the NBA are really quick and they are usually involved in the offense a great deal, for e.g. AI, Boykins, D.Stoud.
Although I agree but somehow it works better. For example michaelc37 threw strength, off. rebounding and other things in to the equation and the results were notably better than with Chris' initial release...
e-mat

Postby LZeppelin on Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:23 am

Is there a way to undo fatigue changes, as I accidentally ran it twice, messing the game up big time.
LZeppelin

Postby Chris_23 on Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:53 am

chipper wrote:I dont think that's necessary, Chris.
Players' heights are somewhat already taken into account in their primacy, rebound and block ratings
and using player's heights to affect the primacy is somewhat redundant if you know what i mean.
Maybe you should just average out reb and blk ratings and use them as an indication for a player's height.

Still, most short guys who survive in the NBA are really quick and they are usually involved in the offense a great deal, for e.g. AI, Boykins, D.Stoud.

No, NBA Live 07 simulation does not take into account height when simulating players statistics. Nor does it affect rebounding, shorter centers like Ben Wallace and Dennis Rodman for example have always been extremely great in rebounding yet not having amazing height to go with it.

It is possible to use appearance.dbf, I'm just hoping that someone knows the exact command to make it work. I managed to make it work but it also created an excess of 8Mb of blank fields which is an indication that something was off.

LZeppelin wrote:Is there a way to undo fatigue changes, as I accidentally ran it twice, messing the game up big time.

Here's for people who don't ever read the instructions, cheers! *finishes his glass*

No there is no way to undo the changes, however you can reverse it somewhat. Make a copy of FATIGUE FIX, then starts the painful work (that you get for not following instructions). Basically you have to reverse all FATIGUE fields there, but not just, you also have to reverse the order of those commands. Aka what was:

Code: Select all
"cdbflite.exe" players.dbf /case /filter:FATIGUE=33 /field:FATIGUE=29 /update
"cdbflite.exe" players.dbf /case /filter:FATIGUE=35 /field:FATIGUE=31 /update

Must become:
Code: Select all
"cdbflite.exe" players.dbf /case /filter:FATIGUE=31 /field:FATIGUE=35 /update
"cdbflite.exe" players.dbf /case /filter:FATIGUE=29 /field:FATIGUE=33 /update

The reason why you -have- to reverse the order of those commands is because when at the beginning it took a lower value and made it even lower thus not mixing up the loop, just reversing the FATIGUE fields would result in lower value made higher, and since the order of commands takes higher values next, it creates a loophole and ends up most, if not all fatigue ratings way too high.

So, in short, reverse the FATIGUE values in FATIGUE FIX, then reverse the order of commands in FATIGUE FIX (the command that was first should become the last)
Chris_23

Postby bob.cold15 on Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:08 am

I use this patch in my dynasty (in sig) and its a 50/50 split SIM/PLAY dynasty. So I hope this patch is great. :-) Good luck in its progression. (Y)
bob.cold15

Postby bigh0rt on Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:11 am

bob.cold15 wrote:I use this patch in my dynasty (in sig) and its a 50/50 split SIM/PLAY dynasty. So I hope this patch is great. :-) Good luck in its progression. (Y)

It's getting annoying banning you.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby LZeppelin on Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:50 pm

Here's for people who don't ever read the instructions, cheers! *finishes his glass*

It wasn't that I didn't read the instructions, I just clicked the wrong one when I was doing it.

Note "accidentally."

But thank you for your help, if I run into any issues, I'll just PM.
LZeppelin

Postby Noah on Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:21 pm

any progress chris_23 ??
concerning blocked shots per game: i criticize that players dont average more than 3 bpg over a season of 82 games. best shot blockers just have 2,5 rarely 2,6 or 2,7.
in box scores usual stats are 1-5, sometimes 6 blocks. once i had 7 and 8, bit just one time in 5 years of dynasty :D...

should definitely be tuned!
Noah

Postby Chris_23 on Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:13 am

I'm still trying to find some cdbflite expert who knows how I can add height from another database and increase primacy through it. That's the main reason why Yao is such a threat offensively etc.

And I'll look into this blocks issue, I think I improved it already in the not-released version but if not I'll try to remember to increase it.
Chris_23

Postby e-mat on Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:29 am

WHAT??? :evil: Height is the main reason Yao is a threat offensively??? I guess you're right considering the fact that guys like Bradley, Muresan, Smits, Bol... have all been such studs...
e-mat

Postby Noah on Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:03 am

chris_23 ...
i love your work cause in my opinion it increased fun a lot.
if there is any possibility please release your next or final version without the "height-issue". just dont want to wait for a long time (who knows if you will find a cdbflite-expert)

:) freetz
Noah

Postby Noah on Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:34 pm

please upload your modified simeng.txt with the modified RATING_BLOCK line ...
Noah

Postby Noah on Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:22 pm

so i think this project is cancelled....inconvenience
andrew you can delete the thread
Noah

Postby e-mat on Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:50 am

Noah wrote:so i think this project is cancelled....inconvenience
andrew you can delete the thread
wtf? what makes you think he has decided to stop working on this??? he said he will test his next version longer so just wait. No need to delete anything as there's useful info anyway.
e-mat

Postby chipper on Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:31 pm

yea wtf noah, just b/c he hasnt answered your question for a couple of days, doesnt mean this project is cancelled. it's not like he's obligated to do anything for you
chipper

Postby Noah on Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:36 pm

yeah im sorry guys ... keep that shit up chris_23 ... gL

btw...i have done it on my own now :)
Noah

Postby Chris_23 on Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:08 am

No it's not cancelled. But to satisfy those impatient people then here's the release that was not intended for public yet, because certain things need a bit more tweaking and there's still no height tweak for primacy.

http://kristovaher.pri.ee/nbalive/ratingsfix_v2.rar

The installation and use is exactly the same . This takes alot more into account than the previous one, but some things are still not the way I like it (like Morrison not shooting that much, or Shaq scoring too much). Anyways, most of these things are exceptions, and not rules, and that's why those minor issues can actually be fixed by your own ratings editing of the player, since sadly the way how NBA Live 07 handles what players to use, is really restricted.

This version actually does not separate players into C-PF and PG-SF. Every position has it's own separate tweaks (which you can edit in *.bat scripts), and alot of things are taken into account, star-status (star players of certain status usually get a bit more ball), experience, speed, different skills and chemistry and other things (definite list during installation is shown)

Anyways, it's not the final release, but it's the one I'm using for my own dynasties I play from time to time and am happy with it.

Cheers :)

e-mat wrote:WHAT??? :evil: Height is the main reason Yao is a threat offensively??? I guess you're right considering the fact that guys like Bradley, Muresan, Smits, Bol... have all been such studs...

No offense here, rockets fan, but you did not really get what I was saying. I said 'main' reason, not the 'only' reason. Smits was an all-star. Muresan and Bradley were also very much used because of their height, but both missed strong offensive package. Yao has good offense and defense, but his height is 'why' these work so well. Cut Yaos height, and he'd not play in starting lineup however.

That is how NBA Live handles it as well. If player has height advantage, the player shoots alot better against their defender. It's easy to see against small PG's with your stronger PG, or for example Adam Morrisons case, who does not have amazing FG and 3PT shooting rating, but can score alot more often than those similar to him but smaller in stature.

Which is why height should increase primacy, even if the player is not amazing at offense, he gets alot more chances compared to someone as weak offensively, but alot smaller.
Chris_23

Postby e-mat on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:00 am

Chris_23 wrote:No offense here, rockets fan, but you did not really get what I was saying. I said 'main' reason, not the 'only' reason. Smits was an all-star. Muresan and Bradley were also very much used because of their height, but both missed strong offensive package. Yao has good offense and defense, but his height is 'why' these work so well. Cut Yaos height, and he'd not play in starting lineup however.

Well...I'm sensitive when it comes to Rockets, lol... But people tend to be ignorant about Yao because of his height advantage. It's the same as some people saying "Shaq is nothing without his strength" but that's bs too. And you're going overboard with the last sentence...

That's offtopic however, thanks for sharing the patch.

About the height in general. I doubt you can implement this feature succesfully as there aren't that many height advantages in NBA by default. Yao is taller than everyone, Peja is tall for a SF... Otherwise height as an advantage is used only when the defence rotates and PGs end up guarding SFs, SFs guarding Cs... You might as well use weight as a factor too. Just my 2 cents...
e-mat

Postby chipper on Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:25 pm

I am a little concerned that small but quick guards will be penalized too much.

I mean, how are you going to account for the guys like AI, boykins, Elton Brand (small as a PF) and so on.

Speakin of which, you will have to somehow tie the height with the position he plays. For e.g, 6'7 is stall for a PG but small for a C.
chipper

Postby Chris_23 on Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:45 pm

e-mat wrote:
Chris_23 wrote:No offense here, rockets fan, but you did not really get what I was saying. I said 'main' reason, not the 'only' reason. Smits was an all-star. Muresan and Bradley were also very much used because of their height, but both missed strong offensive package. Yao has good offense and defense, but his height is 'why' these work so well. Cut Yaos height, and he'd not play in starting lineup however.

Well...I'm sensitive when it comes to Rockets, lol... But people tend to be ignorant about Yao because of his height advantage. It's the same as some people saying "Shaq is nothing without his strength" but that's bs too. And you're going overboard with the last sentence...

That's offtopic however, thanks for sharing the patch.

About the height in general. I doubt you can implement this feature succesfully as there aren't that many height advantages in NBA by default. Yao is taller than everyone, Peja is tall for a SF... Otherwise height as an advantage is used only when the defence rotates and PGs end up guarding SFs, SFs guarding Cs... You might as well use weight as a factor too. Just my 2 cents...

No, at least not in my book. Weight will not be taken into account in my simulation engine patches, strength however is taken into account. You are free to edit it to your liking of course and make weight a factor if you want.

I am a little concerned that small but quick guards will be penalized too much.

I mean, how are you going to account for the guys like AI, boykins, Elton Brand (small as a PF) and so on.

Speakin of which, you will have to somehow tie the height with the position he plays. For e.g, 6'7 is stall for a PG but small for a C.

You mean penalized by height? Nobody would be penalized unless being really small (which accounts for having hard time getting the ball anywhere but in the perimeter). Nevertheless things like 'quickness and speed' are both a bonus for primacy algorithm and is already in the patch giving the likes of Iverson and Wade a little boost.

No rating other than offensive awareness makes a big impact on what the players primacy ends up to be. Height would also be a little boost, not a massive one, since I'm quite satisfied with most things already.

I also forgot simeng.txt from the last rar file. I tweaked some rebounds and assists I think with it. This can be obtained here, use is as before:

http://kristovaher.pri.ee/nbalive/simeng_v2.rar
Chris_23

Postby Chris_23 on Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:42 pm

Alright, a little bit of an update here. This is in fact more of a hotfix than anything, but it's a must download to those playing dynasties with the patch. There was a bug in rookie fatigue in previous release, this fixes it.

http://kristovaher.pri.ee/nbalive/DynastySimulationEngine_v2.1.rar
Chris_23

Postby Mark. on Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:49 pm

This is great, ive always wondered if tweaking the sim engine would work, but with my lack of programming knowledge and time I never really looked into it much. IMO this is probably the most important patch for me, since im a stats junkie I cant stand dynasties where the stats arent realistic.

Thanks a heap for this Chris, ill let you know how it goes for me (Y)
"Money is options, not happiness, its what you do with those options that makes your life" - Conrad Bishop
Mark.
Sweet Disposition

Postby Chris_23 on Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:11 pm

This will probably not satisfy a stats junkie, since alot of EA's system is hardcoded. You can do only so much tweaking. But I've simulated a few seasons, playing as a team in my second year now and it's good. EA also has a sort of randomized system in it, sometimes you have Kobe on 34PPG, sometimes 28PPG, it's quite interesting.

But yeah, the intention of this patch was to improve the near-awful out-of-box stats simulation with PF and C owning the place all across the virtual court.
Chris_23

Postby anismodi on Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:08 am

hi,me again.can som1 re upload the file?so i can download it?i know im a little late but i gotta have this patch im little kind of a stat freak.ty. :D
anismodi

Postby Cpt Vee on Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Hey Chris,

Going through some older versions of NBA Live and stumbled across someinteresting .dbf files NBA Live 2004. It looks like what the game used before moving to the simeng.txt version. Was thinking you might be able to look at them and maybe fill in some blanks as to how simeng.txt works.

http://members.cox.net/voros/nbalive2004sim.zip

I'm interested in getting simeng.txt to generate realistic stats because it should then be fairly easy for me to reverse engineer things so that you can derive ratings from a stat line.
Cpt Vee

Postby Duleer on Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:22 am

link doesn't work
Duleer

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Live 07