Controlling a single player

Talk about NBA Live 07 here.

Controlling a single player

Postby bradles on Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:49 am

Hi All,

First post here. I have played most NBA Live versions since 95, skipping 2003 and 2004.

I'd like to have the option to control one particular player for the entire game.

There are two camps here: those that are quite happy to sit for their time on the bench and watch the computer play until they are subbed back in, and those that think sitting and watching the computer play sucks. I respect both of these opinions.

I am happy enough to watch the computer while sitting on the bench. I think the option could at least be provided in the controller setup where you can choose to lock the controller on C, PF, SF, PG, SG etc.
In my edited example image below, I have locked the controller on R.Wallace and should be able to play as him for the entire game. When he is subbed off, the computer takes over.

For those that aren't interested in sitting on the bench, you could have an option when you were subbed off to simulate the game (like in simulating an entire game) up until you are next subbed back onto the court.

I would like to hear some more discussion on this though.

Brad
Last edited by bradles on Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
bradles

Postby Heiks on Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:59 am

That idea could be accompanied with a player based dynasty where you (the player) could be traded, waived, signed, etc.

But that would be asking too much too soon, it would need depth and a lot of effort. They need to fix a lot of bugs before that and stop chancing things that work already good to worse.

Bradles's idea is yet simple and good, EA Sports should really consider it.
Give respect, get respect.
Heiks

Postby bradles on Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:14 am

Heiks wrote:Bradles's idea is yet simple and good, EA Sports should really consider it.

I think this option wouldn't be that hard to implement. At minimum, it would be a handy feature for all game modes...it would also be a good baby-step on the path to a player dynasty option.

Brad
bradles

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:04 pm

I think the success or failure of NBA06's concept will greatly influence the production team's decision here, as well as the reception Madden's mode has received.

First and foremost, I think it has to give way to the current Dynasty Mode. So much can be done with what's already in the game, adding a brand new mode while there's still bugs to be fixed and features that can be added to the existing mode isn't going to go down well with most fans, myself included. I'd be very disappointed if the production team decided that the current Dynasty Mode was good enough and then introduced the single player career mode, which would no doubt have a couple of kinks. So then we'd be waiting a couple of versions to see both features fixed/improved instead of seeing Dynasty brought up to speed and then new modes added. Dynasty Mode doesn't even have owner features yet.

I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of the single player idea. I can see how it would be cool but I don't think I'd be playing it much myself especially if it meant sitting around watching the CPU play. I buy video games to play them and I don't really have the time these days to sit and watch. If I want to do that, I'd rather watch real athletes in action and if I'm going to make time for a full game of virtual basketball I'd like to be in control.

But that's just me. I like the team management and the ability to controll all the action, playing multiple roles. I know there's people who really love the concept and I have to admit, I'd give it a go. But not at the expense of the current main mode and probably not as enthusiastically.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby joejam999 on Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:06 pm

I dont think it would be asking to much to have a career mode. Madden 06 has it. Me and my friends have been talking about putting this in the game for a year or 2. Also just like the dude up there said when you get subbed out the comp plays and you can be traded and all that.
joejam999

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:07 pm

Madden's Dynasty Mode is already much more in-depth and advanced though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby dada on Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:19 pm

I have always wished for that myself, thats why I always play with player lock. I also wish that watching the CPU play was more entertaining because sometimes I would much rather just be the coach. I guess thats why I like FIFA Manager, watching the CPU is like watching a real match and I sometimes do feel like I am really coaching.
dada

Postby Jing on Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:43 pm

it be nice as a side mode i think but they should leave in dynasty
Jing

Postby bigh0rt on Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:03 am

It's a nice idea, but I'd never want it at the expense of advancement in other areas that desperately need it.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Return to NBA Live 07