A much faster way to edit mass DBFs like players.dbf

Talk about NBA Live 06 here.

A much faster way to edit mass DBFs like players.dbf

Postby dr13 on Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:18 am

This is for editing things like off/def rebounds much easier. With a program you can convert dbf to xls, and xls to dbf without crashing problems.

The program is "Job Master" and it is downloadable in www.mindleads.com, you have to register though (but it isn't necessary to put real data, for them I live in Togo :lol: )

Create a new folder in My Documents/NBA Live 06 called for example "job"

Open it, "add job". There are five types of properties there:
General: put the name (I've put "dbf to xls") and check "Manual Start"
Action: leave it (it will convert the file without deleting the first)
Source: Check "Directory..." and select the created folder
Destination: Check "logical directory" and again select the created folder
Conversion: source format: dBASE file (dbf), target format: excel 97-02... (xls).
Click OK
Now add another job with the same properties except:
General: put another name (I've put "xls to dbf")
Conversion: source format: excel file... (xls), target format: dBASE IV (dbf).
Now you have those two jobs.

Copy the players.dbf to that new folder, and in Job Master right click "dbf to xls" and select Run Job. This will convert the file. I will explain then how to edit fast in excel.

After you finish editing in Excel, save and run the other job "xls to dbf".
Replace the dbf in the roster, currentdb or what you want.

At least it works for me
dr13

Postby Andreas Dahl on Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:45 am

Moved to 06 Patching Issues.

Nice find (y) Seems like a good way to use Excel (that I prefer) without and crashing problems.
Andreas Dahl

Postby dr13 on Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:07 am

Now I will explain how to edit players.dbf in excel to change off and def rebounds.

Insert two columns, each one to the right of OREABILITY and DREABILITY
Column W is OREABILITY and Y is DREABILITY.
In X2 write (this is in spanish)
=REDONDEAR(W2/4;0)
I think for all of you english speakers it is ROUND.
This will divide for 4 the Off reb rating, and round it. Now expand the formula all the way to the last row with the last player, so it does all the numbers. Copy all the new numbers and do Special Paste: only value, to replace all the old to the left, in the W Column.

In Z2 write (this is in spanish)
=REDONDEAR.MENOS(Y2+(100-Y2)*3/4;0)
I think for all of you english speakers it is ROUND.LESS or ROUND.MINUS (this will avoid to get 100 in a rating)
This will make something like that, for a rating like 80:
80 + ((100-80) * 3 / 4) = 80 + 20 * 3 / 4 = 80 + 15 = 95
Now expand the formula all the way to the last row with the last player, so it does all the numbers. Copy all the new numbers and do Special Paste: only value, to replace all the old to the left, in the Y Column. Change with 0 the rating for the 3 players named "Ref Referee".
Now delete those 2 new columns (with the formulas), and save.

In less than 2 minutes you can edit all those off, def rebounds.

The Job Master "jobs" will remain, so the next time you only have to do right click and "Run Job".
For dynasties, you have to do this every year, before the games begin. The first year save before simulating any game, inmediately after the training cap. Do all the process (without worrying about a player named Ref Referee) expanding the formula to the last player WITH ratings, before the players to be scouted. The second, third and so on years save again before simulating, and edit in the same form in excel players.dbf, but this time you have to edit only rookies (since the first new player and before the players to be scouted)

Hope you understand me :wink: .
Last edited by dr13 on Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
dr13

Postby dr13 on Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:43 pm

Seems there is many people missing this post, who would like to have a solution to edit players.dbf

I edited with this method players.dbf from the roster in nbalive.org, explained in this post:
http://www.nbaliveforums.com/ftopic29604-50.php
and to download here:
http://rapidshare.de/files/6295551/NBA_plays.zip.html
dr13

Postby SlavaMedvedenko on Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:15 am

I used =ROUND(W2/2,0) for OREBOUND and =ROUNDDOWN(Y2+(100-Y2)*0.25,0) for DREBOUND
this method is very fast once you get used to it. great work

edit: dynasty mode crashes with codebase errors now, :x
SlavaMedvedenko

Postby dr13 on Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:26 am

edit: dynasty mode crashes with codebase errors now,

Maybe you edited the players.dbf in the roster save, and copied that to the dynasty. It will sure crash then.
If you want to start a new dynasty:
After you started it, save beforce simulating games, inmediately after the training camp, and quit. The players.dbf IN THE DYNASTY FOLDER is the one you want to edit to do that rebounds thing. Using my method it would be quick. The last part of my second post explains more the editing for dynasties. Or you can refer to the last part of this thread: http://www.nbaliveforums.com/ftopic29604-50.php
Use the same form for an already created dynasty, editing the players.dbf in the dynasty save. :)

In your ROUNDDOWN formula I would use 0,75 instead of 0,25. This will make a player with 60 def reb go to 90 def reb, instead of going to 70 with yours. The other things are correct
dr13

Postby SlavaMedvedenko on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:00 am

ah thanks, i will try that
what i was doing was replacing players.dbf in my roster save and starting a new dynasty after loading that roster, and yes, it would crash right after training camp

edit: awesome it worked, i played a game and i finished with 8 (!!!!!) offensive boards, cpu got 17 because i accidentally subbed my pg in at center and didnt notice for about 5 minutes.
SlavaMedvedenko

Postby alexmary on Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:32 am

I used MS Access to modify off/def reb , it's easy ,too.
alexmary

Postby cocobee on Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:13 pm

alexmary wrote:I used MS Access to modify off/def reb , it's easy ,too.

how did u do it in MS Access?
cocobee
America's Team

Postby Peja_4_3 on Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:15 am

hi! the link above for 'mindleads.com' does not work. can u upload the file somewhere so i can just download 'job master' from there? i want to edit the playmap.dbf and assign other plays for my team. thanks.
Peja_4_3

Postby Peja_4_3 on Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:39 am

i found the site...http://www.mindleads.com/index.html

will try it.

thanks.
Peja_4_3

Postby Peja_4_3 on Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:53 am

hi, thanks...i tried editing the dbf's directly by opening it through Excel (2002), updated the values, re-loaded the file and it worked..
Peja_4_3

Re: A much faster way to edit mass DBFs like players.dbf

Postby masterj on Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:24 am

hi everybody! i tried to use "jobmaster". Convert dbf to xls working great but xls to dbf doesn't work! Can somebody help me or give an idea fir modify several rating in same time like excel?
THANKS
masterj

Return to NBA Live 06