My first organized basketball game

A collection of memorable (and infamous!) Forum threads. Other noteworthy threads, such as yearly NBA predictions, also get archived here.

My first organized basketball game

Postby t2r2s on Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:24 am

i'm in europe, so i dont know what my level of basketball is equal to in us, but here its called U16

so i finally decided to play organized ball and went to a school team nearby (my school hasnt got one) i only practiced there for two weeks and last saturday i played my first game, the team i went to is really weak (they barely maintain first place in the worst division), i'm 6'2" and change with my shoes on and i was the tallest guy on my team (one of the reasons the team sucks) so i played center and in my first game i was matched up against a 6'4" or something like that and i dominated, at least on the defensive end

i ended up with 6 points on 3/5 shooting 0/1FT, roughly 20 rebounds 5 off 3 blocks 2 steals and 5 assists, i didnt scored much because while playing on the streets(not streetball), i tried to be the guard of my team

somebody could tell me what stats do players put up in the american equivalent of U16? i know the overall talent there is better and the player are a lot more athletic, but i'm pretty athletic myself, while not being skinny (99kg or 220 lbs) i can hang on the rim and even dunk it when i'm all pumped up, now i'm trying to get around the 85kg or 190 lbs, so i'll become a better athlete.
sorry for my english
t2r2s

Re: My first organized basketball game

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:54 am

U16 = Under 16 (yrs. old) ?
American high school competitions/league I suppose is the equivalent. I don't know if it's the same in terms of talent and skill level though.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Rip32 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:52 am

shadowgrin wrote:U16 = Under 16 (yrs. old) ?
American high school competitions/league I suppose is the equivalent. I don't know if it's the same in terms of talent and skill level though.

That's probably similar to American Junior Varsity basketball, which is a considerable step below the big boys of high school ball (varsity). Those are pretty good stats for JV, but I don't think you're going to be grabbing 20 boards a night playing against 18 year old competition.
Tweet me, bro. @Brady_Fred
Rip32
Rodney Stuckey's Uncle

Postby t2r2s on Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:44 am

sure i wont, i'm a guard who happens to be a good rebounder, i doubt i'll grow anymore as i'm 15, so when i'm playing varsity (U18?) ball i hope i'm not the starting center of my team
sorry for my english
t2r2s

Postby Oznogrd on Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:01 am

t2r2s wrote:sure i wont, i'm a guard who happens to be a good rebounder, i doubt i'll grow anymore as i'm 15, so when i'm playing varsity (U18?) ball i hope i'm not the starting center of my team

Guys arent really done growing till 20-21 or so.
Oznogrd
Gummy bears are stupid and delicious!

Postby Lamrock on Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:11 am

It varies based on the person, but Anthony Randolph has apparently grown to just under 7 feet this season. You have more of an SG/SF body though.
Lamrock

Postby t2r2s on Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:35 am

thats what i'd like to be a SG/SF but i'll even be lucky to get to 6'6" so i wont be undersized for a sg
sorry for my english
t2r2s

Postby Laxation on Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:39 am

We have that kind of league here in Australia. You actually get your rebounds counted for you in that sort of league?

My friend reckons he was the next steve nash, putting up assists like no ones business. Thought he averaged 10 a game. In my view, maybe 3 or 4 on a good day. Im feeling that way about your rebounds if your leagues are anything like ours.
No shot clock, scorers only score points, which makes it next to impossible to remember 20 rebounds and even take 20 of them...
Laxation
Just wants to Tri-Force

Postby Rip32 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:56 am

I don't think your size is a huge deal in high school here in America (I assume the same applies where you are). Hell, my junior year of we got to the regional finals and our starting five went:

C 6-5
PF6-5
SF 6-5
SG 6-1
PG 5-10

Size isn't a huge factor unless you're looking to play big-time college ball.
Tweet me, bro. @Brady_Fred
Rip32
Rodney Stuckey's Uncle

Postby J@3 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:14 pm

Laxation wrote:We have that kind of league here in Australia. You actually get your rebounds counted for you in that sort of league?

My friend reckons he was the next steve nash, putting up assists like no ones business. Thought he averaged 10 a game. In my view, maybe 3 or 4 on a good day. Im feeling that way about your rebounds if your leagues are anything like ours.
No shot clock, scorers only score points, which makes it next to impossible to remember 20 rebounds and even take 20 of them...

He said "roughly" 20 rebounds so I'm assuming he grabbed 6 or 7.
J@3

Postby t2r2s on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:40 pm

Laxation wrote:We have that kind of league here in Australia. You actually get your rebounds counted for you in that sort of league?

on our team one of the bench players is doing the play by play of our team, by myself i only count blocked shots

Rip32 wrote:I don't think your size is a huge deal in high school here in America (I assume the same applies where you are). Hell, my junior year of we got to the regional finals and our starting five went:

C 6-5
PF6-5
SF 6-5
SG 6-1
PG 5-10

Size isn't a huge factor unless you're looking to play big-time college ball.

i'm working to get into NBA so height is a really important thing :P

Jae wrote:

He said "roughly" 20 rebounds so I'm assuming he grabbed 6 or 7.

i'm not sure if it was 20 because the play by play of our team hasn't been put online yet, but i'm pretty certain that i'll have more that 6 or 7 :cool:
sorry for my english
t2r2s

Postby Valor on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:48 pm

t2r2s wrote:i'm working to get into NBA so height is a really important thing :P

Sorry to break it to you, I'll be enshrined in the Basketball Hall of fame before you will make the NBA.....which of course is impossible :scold:

Jae wrote:He said "roughly" 20 rebounds so I'm assuming he grabbed 6 or 7.

t2r2s wrote:i'm not sure if it was 20 because the play by play of our team hasn't been put online yet, but i'm pretty certain that i'll have more that 6 or 7 :cool:

8?'

But then again, it's under 16s in Europe, which is worse then the U16 level over here in asia (i have frds who studied in europe and played highschool ball there, so yes, i know) When i was in U16s a few years back i was recording triple doubles (points, blocks, steals - not your conventional triple doubles) as a guard (and trust me, i aint that good) so your story may not be THAT hard to believe afterall

Then again, the only one you are fooling is yourself if you are merely blowing up your stats to sound good. At the end of the day the one that has to look in the mirror and say to themselves whether they have played good or not, played hard or not, is you. So this isnt really much of an issue
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby t2r2s on Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:01 pm

i know i'm not good, just better that the local players, and since here we dont have a strong talent pool its not that impressive, but i'm trying to make it to somewhere and this is the best chance that i got to prove to some major basketball team over here what i'm worth

when our team blog gets updated with the lates stats and scores i'll tell how many rebounds i've got, but still, i'm pretty sure its in the 15-20 range
sorry for my english
t2r2s

Postby Oznogrd on Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 am

I don't understand something. To be clear this isnt aimed at you t2r, just a general rant

Why does everyone who ever picks up a basketball think they can eventually get to the NBA? You can practice your ass off but you gotta remember...7 billion people in the world...30 teams...with 15 roster slots (counting IR). As I said long ago to a certain kid who wanted a CF then got mad when we told him he was nuts for thinking he was going pro as a 6'4 C, even the worst player in the NBA is probably better than you ever will be. If you want further proof that not only do you have to work hard and be a great athlete to make the NBA, but also things have to fall just right in your life: go watch Hoop Dreams. You can have everything in the world going for you and in one play, or one bad decision, it can be gone. Gah.

If you really want to be in the NBA: just play a video game and create yourself: by far the only realistic way to see you playing with the pros.
Oznogrd

Postby NovU on Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:29 am

Speaking of all this, I remember my brother winning MVP from his district two years in a row and winning the district title twice in a row. He was in local newspapers and stuff, but ended up living a life that has nothing to do with basketball. Now he teaches martial art and I'd say he has been quite successful at it, owning his own training gym. So while you are at it, t2r2s, I'd suggest you also search for other options. I've seen many going for the dream hard, only to end up being personal trainers(Not that it's totally bad), then move on to something totally different later to start fresh.
THX TO DOPE-JAO FOR THE SPECIAL SIG! <3
Enjoy! <3 Jao
NovU
Crap, what am I going to brag about now?

Postby Murat on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:03 am

About U16, it is one of the tournaments of FIBA for juniors.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby t2r2s on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:40 am

Oznogrd wrote:I don't understand something. To be clear this isnt aimed at you t2r, just a general rant

Why does everyone who ever picks up a basketball think they can eventually get to the NBA? You can practice your ass off but you gotta remember...7 billion people in the world...30 teams...with 15 roster slots (counting IR). As I said long ago to a certain kid who wanted a CF then got mad when we told him he was nuts for thinking he was going pro as a 6'4 C, even the worst player in the NBA is probably better than you ever will be. If you want further proof that not only do you have to work hard and be a great athlete to make the NBA, but also things have to fall just right in your life: go watch Hoop Dreams. You can have everything in the world going for you and in one play, or one bad decision, it can be gone. Gah.

If you really want to be in the NBA: just play a video game and create yourself: by far the only realistic way to see you playing with the pros.

i'm not the guy who when fails at one thing remains crying on the place, if i dont make it i'll readjust my priorities until i get good at something

NovU wrote:Speaking of all this, I remember my brother winning MVP from his district two years in a row and winning the district title twice in a row. He was in local newspapers and stuff, but ended up living a life that has nothing to do with basketball. Now he teaches martial art and I'd say he has been quite successful at it, owning his own training gym. So while you are at it, t2r2s, I'd suggest you also search for other options. I've seen many going for the dream hard, only to end up being personal trainers(Not that it's totally bad), then move on to something totally different later to start fresh.

i've already got a second option, pc technician whitch its i guess a pretty good second option

Valor wrote:Sorry to break it to you, I'll be enshrined in the Basketball Hall of fame before you will make the NBA.....which of course is impossible :scold:

i we make this a bet and you end up in the basketball hof dont forget about the person who you made the bet with

now i have another thing to ask, i skipped aftenoon classes so i could play ball before the team practice, my main work during the time i played ball today was on my jumper and FT'S and something really strange happened to me like 3 times, i started ice cold, only could make layups then i heated up and started making (around 50%) 1 feet inside the FT line, then i started making FT's then i got really hot for like 15 mins and swished all shots taken (the longest one was like 1 feet after the 3pt ( i think that the court i was playing on has a college 3pt line) line, and then i went ice cold, like really fkin cold, couldnt make a layup to save my life, and all began from the beginning

i dont know if you understand my problem but in the 5hrs i practiced ball this cycle happened to me three times, again if you dont understand tell me and i will try to explain myself better, english is not my natural language

and one more thing, in todays practice i asked my coach how many rebounds i got on that game (his pc is broken so he cant post the boxscore online) and he said i got 18 rebounds

thats all, sorry for any typo in this post cause i've got to go to sleep,

thanks
sorry for my english
t2r2s

Postby shadowgrin on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:02 am

t2r2s wrote:now i have another thing to ask, i skipped aftenoon classes so i could play ball before the team practice, my main work during the time i played ball today was on my jumper and FT'S and something really strange happened to me like 3 times, i started ice cold, only could make layups then i heated up and started making (around 50%) 1 feet inside the FT line, then i started making FT's then i got really hot for like 15 mins and swished all shots taken (the longest one was like 1 feet after the 3pt ( i think that the court i was playing on has a college 3pt line) line, and then i went ice cold, like really fkin cold, couldnt make a layup to save my life, and all began from the beginning

Warm-ups?

A warm-up generally consists of a gradual increase in intensity in physical activity (pulse raiser), a joint mobility exercise, stretching and a sport related activity. For example, before running or playing an intense sport one might slowly jog to warm muscles and increase heart rate. It is important that warm ups should be specific to the exercise that will follow, which means that exercises (of warm up) should prepare the muscles to be used and to activate the energy systems that are required for that particular activity. The risks and benefits of combining stretching with warming up are mixed and in some cases disputed. Warming up prepares the body mentally & physically.

Athletes not only warm up to physically prepare their bodies for training or competition but also to mentally warm themselves up. Warm ups are a crucial part of performance. If completed correctly they enable the body to perform at its peak performing ability at the current time. There are three different types of warm ups; gradual increase of physical activity to raise the pulse (Eg. cycling), a joint mobility exercise, stretching and a sport related activity (Eg. dribbling for basketball). A warm up should be specific to the task required to perform in order to activate the correct energy systems and prepare the correct muscles.

And I pity the fool who skips school. :mrt:
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Postby Andrew on Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:09 pm

Oznogrd wrote:Why does everyone who ever picks up a basketball think they can eventually get to the NBA? You can practice your ass off but you gotta remember...7 billion people in the world...30 teams...with 15 roster slots (counting IR). As I said long ago to a certain kid who wanted a CF then got mad when we told him he was nuts for thinking he was going pro as a 6'4 C, even the worst player in the NBA is probably better than you ever will be. If you want further proof that not only do you have to work hard and be a great athlete to make the NBA, but also things have to fall just right in your life: go watch Hoop Dreams. You can have everything in the world going for you and in one play, or one bad decision, it can be gone. Gah.

What you're saying is true, quite frankly it's the cold hard reality of the situation, but at the same time there are people making the big time year after year. At some point in their lives, everyone who is in the NBA now or has made the NBA in the past was in the same position, a kid/young adult entertaining the dream of playing professional basketball. I don't think anyone achieves anything remarkable without having high hopes, grand dreams and fond aspirations. Of course, those dreams aren't going to come true for everyone and the lower levels of competition - inter-school competition, after-school junior leagues, etc - are going to sort those with a chance from those whose love for the game isn't enough to take them to a higher level. But there's no harm in entertaining the dream and giving it a shot.

And in pursuing a dream, I think most people develop a pretty good understanding of when something isn't going to go any further and it's time to take a different path. Giving something a shot allows us to put our aspirations in perspective and evaluate first hand whether something's worth pursuing and just how far it can be taken. Hopefully, the experience will be positive and enjoyable nevertheless.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Oznogrd on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:06 pm

Andrew wrote:What you're saying is true, quite frankly it's the cold hard reality of the situation, but at the same time there are people making the big time year after year. At some point in their lives, everyone who is in the NBA now or has made the NBA in the past was in the same position, a kid/young adult entertaining the dream of playing professional basketball. I don't think anyone achieves anything remarkable without having high hopes, grand dreams and fond aspirations. Of course, those dreams aren't going to come true for everyone and the lower levels of competition - inter-school competition, after-school junior leagues, etc - are going to sort those with a chance from those whose love for the game isn't enough to take them to a higher level. But there's no harm in entertaining the dream and giving it a shot.

And in pursuing a dream, I think most people develop a pretty good understanding of when something isn't going to go any further and it's time to take a different path. Giving something a shot allows us to put our aspirations in perspective and evaluate first hand whether something's worth pursuing and just how far it can be taken. Hopefully, the experience will be positive and enjoyable nevertheless.

Valid point on the you gotta have dreams i get that. Yes i've had some that didnt come true for me regarding career, athletics, hell even personal life...but when they didnt come true i wasnt crushed by it and i dont obsess over having "missed out." its like you said: for me, the journey was positive and enjoyable and I became the person I am today through those experiences I had pursuing those dreams/goals whatever you want to call them.

But maybe its just the people i know: they really dont know how to admit their dream isnt the right choice any more. There's following your dreams: and there's delusion. I just think it's crazy that every single person with two legs who picks up a basketball nowadays think they have a shot at the pros. The reason the sport makes so much money on the pro level is the rarity of people skilled enough at the game to do it for a living. Sure hard work and dreams can help, but the stats are always against you.

Guess I'm just a cynic/realist due to some friends of mines stupidity thinking the world is going to fall into their laps or that if you're too injured to do a sport safely you should probably stop trying to make the olympics...
Oznogrd

Postby Andrew on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:53 pm

That's true, there has to be that realisation, that sense of realism and acceptance if a particular path isn't going to work out and the ability to move on to something new and more feasible. No doubt that's been a problem for a lot of people and some of those people have done very drastic things because a particular dream went unfulfilled. If nothing else they could be bitter and that's certainly not healthy.

I guess there's a fine line between being driven by a dream and flat out delusion, which is probably the realisation that the talent doesn't match the passion. For some it does and they're the ones with better odds of succeeding in whatever it is they're attempting, for everyone else it's the moment they have to accept the situation or at least consider other goals and pursuits.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Valor on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:16 pm

shadowgrin wrote:And I pity the fool who skips school. :mrt:

Couldn't sum it up any better than that :applaud:

t2r2s wrote:i we make this a bet and you end up in the basketball hof dont forget about the person who you made the bet with

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, Can't stop laughing at that statement. You are actually being serious about it, i thought it was just sarcasm.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jesus, maybe you really should go to class once in a while, just so you are able to develop your mind to face reality (suggestion: math class, probability 101)
Valor
Fire GarPax

Postby Martti. on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:30 pm

Just FYI, if your first professional basketball game is at 16, you're a bit late. Sean Williams was 15, but he's 7 feet tall and has massive hops. And he really lacked basketball fundamentals. And if your school or team sucks, then you have even more problems.
Martti.
#HeatLifer

Postby t2r2s on Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:25 am

shadowgrin wrote:And I pity the fool who skips school. :mrt:

i don't need to be in all of my classes to get to the next year

Valor wrote:Sorry, Can't stop laughing at that statement. You are actually being serious about it, i thought it was just sarcasm.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jesus, maybe you really should go to class once in a while, just so you are able to develop your mind to face reality (suggestion: math class, probability 101)

i dont miss math classes, and i'm pretty good at probabilities, and there is about 0.00001% chance i make to the NBA, but at least its not 0% so there is a chance, and since i've got a chance (well...sort of) why not take it all till the end?

Martti. wrote:Just FYI, if your first professional basketball game is at 16, you're a bit late. Sean Williams was 15, but he's 7 feet tall and has massive hops. And he really lacked basketball fundamentals. And if your school or team sucks, then you have even more problems.

i just got to 15 some moths ago, i know it's not a big difference but did i say that at 19 i'm declaring to the NBA draft? i dont care if i make it to the NBA at 19 at 30 or dont make it at all and just play in some weak 5th division league, i just set my hope the highest possible and now i work to achieve it
sorry for my english
t2r2s

Postby shadowgrin on Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:22 am

Just don't forget to diss us haters if you somehow manage to make it to the big leagues, I would appreciate that.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
shadowgrin

Next

Return to Hardwood Classics