2006 NBA Playoffs Prediction Thread

A collection of memorable (and infamous!) Forum threads. Other noteworthy threads, such as yearly NBA predictions, also get archived here.

2006 NBA Playoffs Prediction Thread

Postby dinocarlo on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:02 pm

FINAL RESULTS
  1. cwebbiverson 21-10 (.677)
  2. Andrew 20-11 (.645)
  3. SVG18 19-11 (.633)
  4. Kemp 18-12 (.600)
  5. conartist 18-13 (.580)
  6. dan_suth 14-16 (.467)

INELIGIBLE (less than 30 predictions/incomplete entries)

Lakers08 3-0 (1.000)
Amphatoast 11-3 (.786)
Unrestrict3D 5-2 (.714)
zmac 11-5 (.688)
keepnitgangsta1 2-1 (.667)
Andreas Dahl 2-1 (.667)
Sac-1 10-6 (.625)
Keo 12-8 (.600)
wankster 9-7 (.563)
funk99 9-7 (.563)
Immali 9-7 (.563)
lakerskobe78 10-8 (.556)
dadamafia 14-14 (.500)
Anthony15 12-12 (.500)
gergerjai 8-8 (.500)
Eldad 8-8 (.500)
YoyoYoshi 8-8 (.500)
Pera 7-7 (.500)
Indy 5-5 (.500)
Yohance Bailey 3-3 (.500)
Matt 11-13 (.458)
Laxation 11-13 (.458)
nets4life 7-9 (.438)
ixcuincle 10-14 (.417)
Sit 6-10 (.375)
pHLo 3-5 (.375)
Jae 8-16 (.333)
Will 5-11 (.313)
Donatello 1-5 (.167)
Tuomas 1-7 (.125)
cyanide 0-2 (.000)
Marquis 0-2 (.000)

RULES
  • Predict the exact outcome and you get 2 points (2-0).
  • Predict the correct winning team but not the exact outcome and you get 1 point (1-1).
  • If you pick the wrong team, you automatically get a record of 0-2 for that series.
  • All predictions must be made before Game 2 of all series.
  • Standings will carry over until the NBA Finals.
  • If you get the finals MVP right, you get a bonus "win." (example: 7-1 will be 8-1)
  • To be eligible, you need entries on all playoff rounds.
Last edited by dinocarlo on Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:05 pm, edited 90 times in total.
dinocarlo

Postby macca33 on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:45 pm

well i think that san antonio are almost guaranteed the west because phoenix w/out amare have no height to outmuscle duncan/mohammed and no shot blocking presence in the paint, and they also own dallas as well, providing that bowen does a good job on dirk! both teams have defense strong enough and experienced enough to get them through though!

the east however is a different story! pistons have been looking shaky over the last month or so as opposed to their form throughout the first 50 games, and miami are really starting to pose as a force... im looking forward to a 7 game classic! nets are no chance as they have a horrible front court and no depth on their bench to stop shaq, wallaces! but carter, kidd and jeffo could give miami backcourt a bit of trouble!

only team that i see beating either spurs or pistons is miami, who could beat pistons if both shaq and dwade are healthy, and shaq puts in a solid performance every game... wade's already going to explode... hes a superstar!!!!

Take that Kobe...........
macca33

Postby Buckley on Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:29 am

In the East Detroit, Miami, New Jersey, and Cleveland have all clinched spots, with Washington, Milwaukee, Indiana, and Philly currently seeded 5-8. However the East is wide open, with only 3 teams right now that are officially out (Knicks, Hawks, Bobcats)

In the West, San Antonio, Phoenix, and Dallas have already clinched. The West is even more wide open then the East, with Portland being the only team knocked out.

But there are still 10 games to go for most NBA teams, and these games could decide who makes it in.
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: StlrsRoc

Buckley

Postby cklitsie on Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:57 am

cwebbiverson wrote:However the East is wide open, with only 3 teams right now that are officially out (Knicks, Hawks, Bobcats)
As if the Raptors or Magic would ever make it..
cklitsie

Re: 2006 NBA Playoffs Thread

Postby benji on Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:14 am

dinocarlo wrote:It's April and one of the most anticipated sporting events in this month is the NBA Playoffs. This thread will be for discussing/predicting/whatever about the playoffs in general.

Since it's obvious that the brackets are not yet finalized, let's first discuss other things about the playoffs.

Issue#1: Number 1 a jinx?

Since 2002, the number one team only won the title once.

West: Kings: Lost to Lakers in Conf. Finals
East: Nets: Lost to Lakers in NBA Finals

West: (Spurs won NBA title)
East: Pistons: Lost to Nets in Conf. Finals

West: Wolves: Lost to Lakers in Conf. Finals
East: Pacers: Lost to Pistons in Conf. Finals

West: Suns: Lost to Spurs in Conf. Finals
East: Heat: Lost to Pistons in Conf. Finals

????
So what should the Spurs(or Mavs) and Pistons do to avoid an upset? What should the other teams do to beat the Number 1 teams?

Some of those are deceptive.

2002, the Nets (53-29) weren't as good as the Lakers (60-22) so it was clear why they lost. While one could argue the Kings should've beaten the Lakers aside from one Horry shot, and then 27 free throws in a fourth quarter in a series in which neither team had averaged 25 in a game. The Kings did outscore the Lakers in the series (just like Blazers and Pacers did in 2000) but the luck went the other way.

2003. Pistons weren't the best team in the East, Nets were. (56-26 vs. 52-30 pythag records) It was no surprise when Billups was injured the Nets won. (First two games were within two points don't forget. Nets could have easily gone home down 2-0.)

2004. Pistons were the better team after the Sheed/James acquisitions, Pacers were ransacked with injuries. Out West the Wolves were playing Darrick "MVP" Martin at the point for much of the series as Cassell was injured, while when the Lakers had been healthy (i.e. with Malone...33-9 with him, or 64-18 pace) they were a far superior team.

2005. Spurs were the best team in the league last season. Four wins better than the Suns. As for the Heat series, don't forget it went seven and that Wade missed game six and then played game seven while injured.
benji

Postby Buckley on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:56 am

cklitsie wrote:
cwebbiverson wrote:However the East is wide open, with only 3 teams right now that are officially out (Knicks, Hawks, Bobcats)
As if the Raptors or Magic would ever make it..

ur rite there, but technically, only those 3 teams are out.

realistically, Chicago and Boston have a chance at making it.

Buckley

Postby dinocarlo on Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:43 pm

benji wrote:
dinocarlo wrote:It's April and one of the most anticipated sporting events in this month is the NBA Playoffs. This thread will be for discussing/predicting/whatever about the playoffs in general.

Since it's obvious that the brackets are not yet finalized, let's first discuss other things about the playoffs.

Issue#1: Number 1 a jinx?

Since 2002, the number one team only won the title once.

West: Kings: Lost to Lakers in Conf. Finals
East: Nets: Lost to Lakers in NBA Finals

West: (Spurs won NBA title)
East: Pistons: Lost to Nets in Conf. Finals

West: Wolves: Lost to Lakers in Conf. Finals
East: Pacers: Lost to Pistons in Conf. Finals

West: Suns: Lost to Spurs in Conf. Finals
East: Heat: Lost to Pistons in Conf. Finals

????
So what should the Spurs(or Mavs) and Pistons do to avoid an upset? What should the other teams do to beat the Number 1 teams?

Some of those are deceptive.

2002, the Nets (53-29) weren't as good as the Lakers (60-22) so it was clear why they lost. While one could argue the Kings should've beaten the Lakers aside from one Horry shot, and then 27 free throws in a fourth quarter in a series in which neither team had averaged 25 in a game. The Kings did outscore the Lakers in the series (just like Blazers and Pacers did in 2000) but the luck went the other way.

2003. Pistons weren't the best team in the East, Nets were. (56-26 vs. 52-30 pythag records) It was no surprise when Billups was injured the Nets won. (First two games were within two points don't forget. Nets could have easily gone home down 2-0.)

2004. Pistons were the better team after the Sheed/James acquisitions, Pacers were ransacked with injuries. Out West the Wolves were playing Darrick "MVP" Martin at the point for much of the series as Cassell was injured, while when the Lakers had been healthy (i.e. with Malone...33-9 with him, or 64-18 pace) they were a far superior team.

2005. Spurs were the best team in the league last season. Four wins better than the Suns. As for the Heat series, don't forget it went seven and that Wade missed game six and then played game seven while injured.

That's true, some of the number one teams were so unlucky with injuries so that was another factor. But i'd like to correct that the nets were 49-33 in 2003 and the Spurs were 59-23 last season while suns were 62-20 last season. Luck (a.k.a. Big Shot Bob :lol:) was also another factor. But hey, Robert Horry's really good.
dinocarlo

Postby Fresh8 on Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:07 pm

Issue 1

Well, as everyone should know from what people have said. The playoffs are a whole different ball game... all the teams are on a level playing ground. In fact, all records really do is determine homecourt advantage and five a slight indicatication of how likely they will win a series.

Basically, since the 1st - 4th playoff seeds all have homecourt advantage, its all the same in the first round. Once you get to the second and third rounds, the worse teams will probably be knocked out and the different teams squaring off are pretty much near eachother in terms of ability...

It's not really a jinx to be number 1... its a good thing yeah but because of past teams, like you have shown on ur post, failing to go all the way and the what not, people may think that it's a jinx. All those teams were just beaten by a better team in the end.

Issue 2

I won't comment about it cause the positions of teams will change althogh I do believe that Philly will hold onto the eighth seed. The Kings will hold onto the eighth seed out West. But to elaborate on this question: Who would you prefer to see your team match up against?

Well, for me. I'd prefer LA to play Denver or Dallas... I reackon those would be two teams they could upset in the first round.

Issue 3

What kind of a Playoff Format would you like? Do you like the 7-7-7-7 or would u want to see the first round shortened to 5 games? What about a one game or out type knockout?

Personally, I'd rather see the 5 games in the first round... the shorter series means higher chance of a first roudn upset! Althoguh the one and out would be exciting... perhaps it'd be too short...
Fresh8
The poster formerly known as Sit

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:54 am

Sit wrote:Philly will hold onto the eighth seed.

Damn hoping straight they will!

I prefer the 7-7-7-7 format. A one game knockout type for the 1st round will be short and not entertaining at all. The old best of 5 format is good but I don't want teams getting lucky and eliminating/upsetting the good and deserving teams. I want each time to fight for their life in every series. A best of 7 format for the 1st round also means more money for David Stern and the NBA.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby benji on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:11 pm

dinocarlo wrote:That's true, some of the number one teams were so unlucky with injuries so that was another factor. But i'd like to correct that the nets were 49-33 in 2003 and the Spurs were 59-23 last season while suns were 62-20 last season.

The win-loss records are not the most accurate indicator of how good the team is, their point differential is, and from that their expected records. Which were what I listed.
benji

Postby dinocarlo on Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:13 pm

The playoff positioning will most likely change come April 19. But Detroit has clinched the number 1 spot already with Miami's loss in NJ. The Heat, Nets, and Cavs should get 2,3,4 respectively. The Eastern 5th to 9th slots are the ones interesting to look at.

Over at the West, the Spurs might run away with number 1. The Suns, Nuggets and Mavs should be 2,3,4 respectively. The Clippers, unless a major slump happens, will not give the 5th slot to Memphis. What's interesting in the West is the 7th to 10th slots.

A 7-7-7-7 format is good enough. It's more entertaining and it gives wins to the deserving teams.

Issue#4: Division Winners/Who deserves to open the playoffs at home?

Is a 2nd round Mavs vs. Spurs series a problem for the NBA?

How about Memphis vs. Denver with Memphis opening at home? Regardless of what happens here, the Clippers will still open on the road :lol:
dinocarlo

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:32 pm

I still say make Round 1 a best of 5 series! (Y)

- The team with the better record I guess...

Issue 5

Are the new Jersey Nets for real?

- These guys are doing great and it's not their offence which is doing the trick. I like their defence... is it me or have the Nets not let any opponents score in triple figures lately? And in the last 5 games, in four of them, teams haven't even scored at least 80 on them? Definitely a threat to the Heat and Pistons! Also... Nenard Kristc is playing freakly!

Oh yeh... wat else is there to them? Theyve also beaten both Miami and Detroit during their 12 game win streak.. deftinitely dangerous for the other East Elite
Fresh8

Postby dinocarlo on Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:17 pm

Maybe I should revise issue 4 a bit:

Is the Dallas vs. San Antonio possible second round match-up a problem for the NBA? How about the possible homecourt advantage of Memphis over Denver?

The reason why I thought of the second one is because Memphis might open the playoffs at home even if they are the 6th team in the West. Wouldn't that be unfair for the Clippers? As the 5th seed, they might open in Dallas.

Issue 5
Yes the Nets are for real. The Eastern Final Four might be (1)Detroit vs. (4) Cleveland, and (2) Miami vs. (3) New Jersey.
dinocarlo

Postby Fresh8 on Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:31 pm

What I see that is confusing about the playoffs is that Denver is gonna be the 3rd seed and people are gonna automatically think they are better than Dallas who are 4th...
Fresh8

Postby [Q] on Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:18 pm

on Issue 4, I think that the top 2 Division leaders should get the 1 and 2 spots like in the oldendays, the rest of the teams go by record, and the third div leader gets a guaranteed spot in the playoffs.

but right now, I would love to see the Clips fall to 6th so they play Denver instead of Dallas in the first round.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby dinocarlo on Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:22 pm

To continue with this thread:

Issue 6 Who will get the number 2 in the East?
Will it be the Heat or the Nets?

Issue 7: Who will get the number 8 in the East?

Will it be the Sixers or the Bulls? or someone else?

Issue 8: Will the Hornets or the Jazz catch up with the Kings?
dinocarlo

Postby gifted on Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:05 pm

Issue 6: I think the Heat will still nab that 2 spot. Both teams have fairly easy schedules to end the season, and the Heat can maintain that 2.5 game lead.
gifted

Postby samson1028 on Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:09 pm

Issue 6: I know nets are playing well lately, but given the numbers of games left, there is not much hope to get pass the heats.

Issue 7: Personally i hope magic, but same point mentioned as issue 6, there is jus too little games left.

Issue 8: I don think so, firstly the same point as above, and lastly ron ron improved their defense.
samson1028

Postby dinocarlo on Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:43 pm

Issue 6: The number of games left might not be enough for the nets to catch up. The heat are also playing teams which they should be able to beat.

Issue 7: I think it will be a tough race between the Sixers and Bulls.

Issue 8: Kings and Lakers might already get those 7 and 8 spots.

There's about one week left in the regular season. I now post here the final and probably most interesting topic about the playoffs as of now.

Issue 9: Who will make it to the playoffs in the Western Conference?
Rank the teams from one to eight.

Issue 10: Who will make it to the playoffs in the Eastern Conference?
Rank the teams also from one to eight.
dinocarlo

Postby Fresh8 on Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:10 pm

Western Conference

(1) Dallas Mavericks
vs
(8) LA Lakers

(4) San Antonio Spurs
vs
(5) Los Angeles Clippers

(3) Denver Nuggets
vs
(6) Memphis Grizzlies

(2) Phoenix Suns
vs
(7) Sacramento Kings

Eastern Conference

(1) Detroit Pistons
vs
(8) Philadelphia 76ers

(4) Cleveland Cavaliers
vs
(5) Washignton Wizards

(3) New Jersey Nets
vs
(6) Indiana Pacers

(2) Miami Heat
vs
(7) Milwaukee Bucks
Fresh8

Postby artestfighttrainer on Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:20 am

West

1 Spurs vs Lakers 8
2 Suns vs Kings 7
3 Nuggets vs Grizzlies 6
4 Mavs vs Clippers 5

East

1 Pistons vs Bucks 8
2 Heat vs Pacers 7
3 Nets vs Sixers 6
4 Cavs vs Wizards 5

My Common Sense favourite to win it all - Pistons
My Sentimental favourite - Heat
Dark Horse - Nets
Also if Suns vs Kings matchup stays Kings have a very good chance of an upset.
"Keep this attire for my upcoming ring ceremony."
artestfighttrainer

Postby Deadmaninc on Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:56 am

Western Conference

(1) San Antonio Spurs
vs
(8) Sacramento Kings

(4) Dallas Mavericks
vs
(5) Los Angeles Clippers

(3) Denver Nuggets
vs
(6) Memphis Grizzlies

(2) Phoenix Suns
vs
(7) LA Lakers

Eastern Conference

(1) Detroit Pistons
vs
(8) Chicago Bulls

(4) Cleveland Cavaliers
vs
(5) Washignton Wizards

(3) New Jersey Nets
vs
(6) Indiana Pacers

(2) Miami Heat
vs
(7) Milwaukee Bucks
Deadmaninc

Postby The_Flying_Tomato on Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:24 am

Sit wrote:Western Conference

(1) Dallas Mavericks
vs
(8) LA Lakers

(4) San Antonio Spurs
vs
(5) Los Angeles Clippers

(3) Denver Nuggets
vs
(6) Memphis Grizzlies

(2) Phoenix Suns
vs
(7) Sacramento Kings

Eastern Conference

(1) Detroit Pistons
vs
(8) Philadelphia 76ers

(4) Cleveland Cavaliers
vs
(5) Washignton Wizards

(3) New Jersey Nets
vs
(6) Indiana Pacers

(2) Miami Heat
vs
(7) Milwaukee Bucks

Sit, I agree with your west except SA is 1 and Dallas is 4 again.

I also think the Pacers may drop back to 7 or 8.
benji wrote:We're still on that stupidity? Giving Kidd the MVP in 2002 is as bad as giving Nash the MVP in any year...

Controversial Clippers
The_Flying_Tomato

Postby Buckley on Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:45 am

Western Conference

(1) Spurs
vs
(8) Kings

(4) Mavs
vs
(5) Clippers

(3) Denver Nuggets
vs
(6) Grizzlies

(2) Phoenix Suns
vs
(7) Lakers

Eastern Conference

(1) Detroit Pistons
vs
(8) Sixers

(4) Cleveland Cavaliers
vs
(5) Pacers

(3) Nets
vs
(6) Wizards

(2) Heat
vs
(7) Bucks

Buckley

Postby Scotty on Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:32 am

Western Conference

(1) San Antonio Spurs
vs
(8) LA Lakers

(4) Dallas Mavericks
vs
(5) Los Angeles Clippers

(3) Denver Nuggets
vs
(6) Memphis Grizzlies

(2) Phoenix Suns
vs
(7) Sacramento Kings

Eastern Conference

(1) Detroit Pistons
vs
(8) Philadelphia 76ers

(4) Cleveland Cavaliers
vs
(5) Washignton Wizards

(3) New Jersey Nets
vs
(6) Indiana Pacers

(2) Miami Heat
vs
(7) Milwaukee Bucks

yeah almost the same as sits......
i wonder how Denver will go-u never know, they're so damn unpredictable (N)

Go Nuggets!
Scotty

Next

Return to Hardwood Classics