The Movies Thread

A collection of memorable (and infamous!) Forum threads. Other noteworthy threads, such as yearly NBA predictions, also get archived here.

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:20 pm

Well, you'll still get more parts then little people.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby cyanide on Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:35 am

Well, now that I "re-discovered" the public library, I've got a few classic DVDs, all that won at least one Academy Award.

A couple of days ago, I watched Goodfellas. Kick-ass mobster movie. Not as good as the first two Godfathers, but very close. Very enjoyable. It's actually very similar to Blow, as it's based on a true story with drug connections. Recommended.

Last night I watched Rain Man. Dustin Hoffman was superb, so superb, that I was convinced a few times that he was really autistic. Anyway, it was a good movie; a bit slow halfway through, but it started to pick up nicely and I thought the overall story was great.

Up next: Lawrence of Arabia, Raging Bull, and The Hunt for Red October.
if you were killed tomorrow, i WOULDNT GO 2 UR FUNERAL CUZ ID B N JAIL 4 KILLIN THE MOTHA FUCKER THAT KILLED U!
......|..___________________, ,
....../ `---______----|]
...../==o;;;;;;;;______.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//
WE TRUE HOMIES
WE RIDE TOGETHER
WE DIE TOGETHER
cyanide
Dat steatopygous

Postby Joe' on Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:53 am

Goodfellas is an amazing movie. Better than the second Godfather IMO. Ray Liotta and Robert DeNiro are at their top in that movie.

Rain Man is one of the greatest dramas made in the last twenty years;
I was surprised by Cruise's performance, I never pictured him as a great actor, but he did a great job in Rain Man.
Dustin Hoffman was just amazing. No words to describe how great he was. I believe he actually put himself in a clinic before the shooting to know how he had to behave.

I recommend you watch Little Big Man, Midnight Cowboy and Papillon, other great performances by Dustin Hoffman.
Dear Old World, you represent everything that's wrong...
Joe'
Sir Psycho Sexy

Postby cyanide on Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:59 am

I'll be sure to check out the other Dustin Hoffman movies. Never got to see him much except for Meet the Parents/Fockers.

I just finished watching Raging Bull. Holy shit. I thought Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci were amazing. I had to look up on IMDB to see if De Niro won an Oscar, and I was right. There's no way that any other actor could win that award. De Niro was brilliant, and fucking scary. I actually thought Joe Pesci should have won the best supporting actor as well, because he was better than in Goodfellas, where he did win an Oscar. The movie, imo, was better than Goodfellas, and pretty much all the way through, there was just so much aggressive tension, that it was just scary. Great movie!

Btw, the movie was very different, typical Scorcese, but the dialogue and how the characters interacted was very unique and compelling. Never seen a movie like Raging Bull.
if you were killed tomorrow, i WOULDNT GO 2 UR FUNERAL CUZ ID B N JAIL 4 KILLIN THE MOTHA FUCKER THAT KILLED U!
....../ `---______----|]
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//
WE TRUE HOMIES
WE RIDE TOGETHER
WE DIE TOGETHER
cyanide
Dat steatopygous

Postby magius on Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:40 am

aviator actually reminded me of raging bull. i think my personal favorite deniro performance is split between taxi driver and raging bull.

watched zodiac last night, pretty good movie, not exactly typical fincher (probably due to downey and gylennhal who are not suited to 'typical' fincher), but still great in its own right and even more suspenseful knowing that this was an actual case.

also i rewatched some twin peaks awhile ago, love the lynch.
magius

Postby shadowgrin on Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:48 pm

Pdub wrote:Harry Potter and the Phoenix Suns

I'm still waiting for someone to photoshop that.

Qballer wrote:seems like the only thing we're good for is looking cool while beating people up.

What's wrong with that?

At least it's not degrading compared to being with a loudmouth black dude who has no comedic talent outside a movie franchise that made him famous.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby Sauru on Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:33 pm

i am not sure if anyone else here has seen this but the movie "thursday" is actually rather good. its a bit older and damn near impossible to find but i would recommend it to anyone.

btw raging bull is one of the best movies ever made. i specially love the ending of it.
Sauru

Postby Anthony15 on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:20 am

Watched Transformers finally. Lots of robot animations, pretty good movie.

Raging Bull is one of the best movies De Niro played in, probably the best boxing/story movie made.
Anthony15

Postby cyanide on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:22 am

Got a chance to see The Hunt for Red October. It was a good movie, really well thought out and original plot. A few cheesy parts, but for the most part, a well made movie. Up next, the 3.6 hour movie that won like 7 Oscars in the 1960s... oh boy.
....../ `---______----|]
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//
WE TRUE HOMIES
WE RIDE TOGETHER
WE DIE TOGETHER
cyanide
Dat steatopygous

Postby magius on Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:53 pm

watched 28 weeks later.... it was ok, but i liked days more. I'd be interested in a third one only if boyle came back to direct and especially write.
magius

Postby shadowgrin on Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:43 am

After hellish weeks, finally got to see Transformers.

Some comments:

- Megan Fox may have a hot body but she has no acting ability whatsoever. For the good acting that Shia LaBeouf showed, Megan Fox is that equal in bad acting. Now I get it why during interviews of Michael Bay he wonders why he got Megan for part (other than the reason of her hot body). Shia's acting more was believable compared to what Megan showed with her horrible acting, which her hot body can't hide that fact. Average face also, but has a hot body (did I forget to mention that?) :mrgreen:

- Shia LaBeouf as mentioned, good acting. He has more on-screen chemistry with Bumblebee than with Megan Fox though (can do nothing about that since she can't act to save her life, even with that body).

- A John Turturro appearance! One of the underrated character actors, imo. I love seeing him in the movie. (Y)

- WTF?! Optimus calling Megatron brother? Did Michael Bay just insert another one of his Pearl Harboresque crappiness subplot to Transformers? Damn that man.

Overall a good popcorn action movie, even better when you see Diehard 4.0 after it.
HE'S USING HYPNOSIS!
JaoSming2KTV wrote:its fun on a bun
shadowgrin
Doesn't negotiate with terrorists. NLSC's Jefferson Davis. The Questioneer

Postby BigKaboom2 on Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:27 am

Not to mention Megan Fox's hot body :P
BigKaboom2

Postby magius on Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:12 am

shia labeouf is to good acting as britney spears is to classy. at least I look looking at megan fox. i didn't even notice the transformers.
magius

Postby Patr1ck on Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:45 am

I didn't like his acting at all. It's like, with good actors they look like they can't tell a camera is there, and their performance is natural. With this guy, in this movie, it seems forced and unauthentic. I didn't mind him in Disturbia, though.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Sauru on Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:18 am

wtf has no one mentioned how hot a body megan fox has?
Sauru

Postby Drex on Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:55 am

I guess not, everbody's busy talking about Megan Fox's hot body.

Caught the last part of Primal Fear in the morning. It was awesome, but now I want to see the beggining so bad. I missed it because I was watching the beggining of Snatch, which I finally saw completely (Y)
Drex
You bastards!!!

Postby Jugs on Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:22 pm

Has anyone seen Garden State... that movie is so whack.
Jugs

Postby cyanide on Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:17 pm

Finally watched Lawrence of Arabia. Sure, maybe it won a lot of Oscars in the 1960s, but damn, I can't watch it again. It's slow and the ending was kinda dumb. The storyline, otherwise, for a 3.6 hour movie, wasn't too bad.

Drex wrote:Caught the last part of Primal Fear in the morning. It was awesome, but now I want to see the beggining so bad

Aw man, it'd be awesome if you could see the beginning before seeing the ending! That movie rocks.

And Jugs, Garden State rocks too. That's one movie I'd buy.
....../ `---______----|]
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//
WE TRUE HOMIES
WE RIDE TOGETHER
WE DIE TOGETHER
cyanide
Dat steatopygous

Postby Dean on Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:04 pm

Yeah i agree, Garden State is one of my favourite movies.. Peter Sarsgaard is my favourite actor.. Jarhead is one of my other favourites, and hes in that too.
Dean
"Wait, this isn't like the time that you bought a hamster, named it virginity, and then lost it?"

Postby Ty-Land on Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:25 pm

cyanide wrote:Finally watched Lawrence of Arabia. Sure, maybe it won a lot of Oscars in the 1960s, but damn, I can't watch it again. It's slow and the ending was kinda dumb. The storyline, otherwise, for a 3.6 hour movie, wasn't too bad.

Just rented in out and have watched the first half hour. Looks good so far, but pretty slow. Got advised by my history lecturer to watch it to get an idea of early 20th century European romanticist view of the Middle East.
Ty-Land
Spacewolf

Postby cyanide on Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:08 am

Last night, I watched Kramer vs Kramer with Dustin Hoffman and Meryl Streep. Very good movie, very touching. Great script and great acting. The only downside is that when I see "Kramer" I think of Michael Richards :( Oh well, this movie is highly recommended.
....../ `---______----|]
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//
WE TRUE HOMIES
WE RIDE TOGETHER
WE DIE TOGETHER
cyanide
Dat steatopygous

Postby Joe' on Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:24 am

LOL, when you see "Kramer" it's either Michael Richards or Van Halen :lol: .

Anyway, the movie's really good, I've seen it a few months ago. It's one of Dustin's best, right up there with Rain Man, Midnight Cowboy, Papillon and Little Big Man.
Dear Old World, you represent everything that's wrong...
Joe'
Sir Psycho Sexy

Postby Andreas Dahl on Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:12 am

Just finished watching Cashback.
Great camerawork, great characters, great acting etc. I think that, in some ways, all the nudity made it less appealing though.
But overall I thought it was an awesome movie, but it might be because its' theme is something I've thought about quite a bit..
Andreas Dahl

Postby Jackal on Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:10 am

I now pronounce you Chuck & Larry, pretty funny, Adam is cool, Jessica is on fire.

Done.
Jackal

Postby Sauru on Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:27 am

Jackal wrote:I now pronounce you Chuck & Larry, pretty funny, Adam is cool, Jessica is on fire.

Done.

thats what i like about you, to the point

anyway i really want to see this movie but i rarely get a chance to go out so when i do i have to pick and choose my movies, so sadly this one will wait for the dvd i think
Sauru

PreviousNext

Return to Hardwood Classics