The Music Thread

A collection of memorable (and infamous!) Forum threads. Other noteworthy threads, such as yearly NBA predictions, also get archived here.

Postby Jowe on Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:48 am

I LOVE Velvet Revolver, all the band members from Guns N roses :cool:
Slash, Duff, and Matt... + dave kushner
The lead singer is the former single of stone temple pilots scott weiland, he's skinny like that because he was a drug addict. Don't do drugs kids :x

Dre Naismith wrote:
- Guns' N' Roses: Plain and simple? Jamie's Got a Gun, Welcome to the Jungle, Sweet Child O' Mine pretty much speaks for itself. Axel was a BEAST!

Their having a revival album, cant remember the name but it could be good but sometimes when old bands comeback they dont make the best of em.

They aren't making a revival album, the band 'guns n roses' never retired, its just that that the band got sick of Axl and him wanting to go experimental with the bands sound. So Slash left, and every1 else followed....

The album that was due in 1994 has been in the works/delayed for 10 years now. Its titled 'Chinese Democracy' it was due for release in November...but was delayed again :roll: :lol: Axl has run the Guns N Roses name into the ground like Slash said he would.

- Bon Jovi: Yeah, go ahead and laugh fellas but I'm dead serious. When I hear "Wanted Dead or Alive" I get fuckin' goosebumps dog, even today! "I'm a cowboy...."

Argh, few of his songs r good but dunno I think hes prolly produced one of my most hated songs, "Its My Life"....I feel like breaking the radio when I hear that.

His songs? Bon Jovi although is the surname of the lead singer, its a real band, with Richie Sambora on the leads (Y) who is awesome in his own right with a couple of solid solo albums to his name.

Personally they have some of the most memorable songs in modern rock. Especially if u were alive during the 80's and early 90's to enjoy their prime.

(Y)

I'm not in a band like Nick, but I do play the guitar hence why I love bands with great Guitarists :cool:
Fee Nick's Uns [15-10] says:
i'd suck allen iverson's cock any day -
just so i could say i've met allen iverson
Jowe

Postby Bang on Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:52 am

1. Dream Theather.
In terms of "talent" I don't know what can beat them, at least their guitarist Petrucci and their bassist. Seriously, their guitarist and bassist are awesome. I'm guessing nobody here has heard of them though.

2. Radiohead
Genre breaking and revolutionary. Everybody only knows Creep but their albums are filled with great songs. Not to mention even their B-sides are amazing. Well someone mentioned Muse, but Radiohead comes before them since Muse is heavily inspired from Radiohead.

3. Muse
They aren't Radiohead, and I know they're very different...but honestly I thought they were Radiohead when I first heard them.

4. Guns and Roses.
Just hearing "Welcome to the Jungle" in GTA: SA made me listen to all their albums again and want to buy a PS2 and GTA:SA. They have a ton of great songs.

5. Yngwie Malmsteen
Have you heard his guitar playing? Have you?

Bleah, I know people won't agree with this. Oh well.
Bored.
Bang

Postby J@3 on Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:53 am

Velvet Revolver kick ass, I'm gonna go see them when they tour down here (Y)

Also, Sum 41's new album Chuck is surprisingly good. It's worth a listen, if you can get a hold of the piano version of "Pieces" like they did on Letterman that kicks ass too.
J@3

Postby Ataraxia on Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:54 am

The lead singer is the former single of stone temple pilots scott weiland, he's skinny like that because he was a drug addict. Don't do drugs kids

So do 90% of rock/metal musicians, but Weiland has issues being that thin...he needs to spend a month fiesting at Mcdonald's and KFC or smth or he'll be a skeleton(if he isnt already).

Fall to Pieces is my fav, dunno that songs really relaxing ...

Hey now another band thats great, Crazy Town...oh man oh man Shifty Shitcocks lyrics r so phat only dumb ppl understand them. :cool:
Ataraxia

Postby J@3 on Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:58 am

Crazy Town lmao those guys were so shit. I couldn't stand them, Sugar Ray were better.
J@3

Postby Jowe on Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:59 am

Najira wrote:
The lead singer is the former single of stone temple pilots scott weiland, he's skinny like that because he was a drug addict. Don't do drugs kids

So do 90% of rock/metal musicians, but Weiland has issues being that thin...he needs to spend a month fiesting at Mcdonald's and KFC or smth or he'll be a skeleton(if he isnt already).

Fall to Pieces is my fav, dunno that songs really relaxing ...

Its a known fact that weiland is that skinny because heroin/cocaine addicts tend to be skinny.. well except in the case of shawn kemp who mysteriously inflated like a hot air balloon :? .

Fall to pieces is one of my favourite songs on their album Contraband too (Y). It sounds like a song Axl would have written, very guns n roses sound.

:)

5. Yngwie Malmsteen

:shock: Another guitar player fan on the boards? , yeh i've heard of him. Probably the fastest shredder on teh planet, the guy is crazy fast on the guitar. :shock:
Jowe

Postby J@3 on Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:02 am

well except in the case of shawn kemp who mysteriously inflated like a hot air balloon .

Hmm... goes through the nose and they get skinny... wonder where it'd have to go through for them to get fat.
J@3

Postby Jowe on Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:06 am

Jae™ wrote:
well except in the case of shawn kemp who mysteriously inflated like a hot air balloon .

Hmm... goes through the nose and they get skinny... wonder where it'd have to go through for them to get fat.

I'd assume he probably took it to the hole strong with two hands. :?
Jowe

Postby Ataraxia on Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:06 am

best Bassist has to be the original Metallica one....Cliff Burton(correct me if Im wrong).

But damn that dude played leads on the bass, now thats just simply stunning :shock:

a question.....whose the best outta the retro punk bands out there now?

The Hives, Jet, The Strokes, The Vines or some other dudes ?

Personally Im goin with The Hives, they song more retro than Jet...but its a close race.....but The Hives prolly have a bigger funk factor to them but The Strokes aint bad either and well whatever happend to The Vines, finally Australia had a band comin out and gets alot of good reviews but now their totally out....I really liked Get Free....thats a top drunk headbanger of a song :twisted:
Ataraxia

Postby J@3 on Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 am

Cliff Burton was a legend, there's a cool video called Cliff 'Em All which is worth watching.

Personally I like Jet and The Strokes. Took me a while to get used to Jet, but now I think they're cool.
J@3

Postby Jowe on Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 am

Najira wrote:best Bassist has to be the original Metallica one....Cliff Burton(correct me if Im wrong).

But damn that dude played leads on the bass, now thats just simply stunning :shock:

a question.....whose the best outta the retro punk bands out there now?

The Hives, Jet, The Strokes, The Vines or some other dudes ?

Personally Im goin with The Hives, they song more retro than Jet...but its a close race.....but The Hives prolly have a bigger funk factor to them but The Strokes aint bad either and well whatever happend to The Vines, finally Australia had a band comin out and gets alot of good reviews but now their totally out....I really liked Get Free....thats a top drunk headbanger of a song :twisted:

The Vines aren't a retro punk band.

And Silverchair will always be the best band ever to come out of Australia, if you don't know who they are you should check them out (Y).
The old stuff (95ish) sounds very Nirvana-ish, their debut album 'Frogstomp' was awesome (Y).

The best bassist imo will always be Duff McKagan, not because I love Guns N Roses....ok probably I do, but the dude is amazing. He used to play bass solos all the time, and the bass playing on all the guns n roses songs are non repetitive :shock:. Plus he played drums and lead guitar too.

Kind of like a Dave Grohl before dave thing. :) Duff even made a solo album with him playing all the instruments 10 years before Dave came up with the same idea.
Jowe

Postby Jowe on Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:17 am

Jae™ wrote:Cliff Burton was a legend, there's a cool video called Cliff 'Em All which is worth watching.

Personally I like Jet and The Strokes. Took me a while to get used to Jet, but now I think they're cool.

Jet still all their riffs, from old AC/DC and beatles songs (N) and other old bands.

Like Look what you've done, uses the same piano playing like an old beatles song. The name of it escapes me now, but the words are exactly except for a couple of different lines in the chorus and verses. :? :(
Jowe

Postby J@3 on Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:30 am

I haven't heard their album yet, and it wasn't so long ago you liked Jet :P

Silverchair were cool, they lived really close to me.
J@3

Postby Ataraxia on Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:49 pm

I know abt silverchair, heard some of their stuff....but the vocalist looks/tried to look like King Cobain. :x
Ataraxia

Postby Old School Fool on Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:35 pm

Rage Against The MAchine OWNS. They did a cover of a Rap song that Dre might know about called "Pistolgrio-Pump" :shock:
Old School Fool

Postby John-John Joe on Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:57 pm

Oh yeah, anyone ever heard of Yngwie Malmasteen? One of the best guitarists I've ever heard besides the late, great Jimi Hendrix and (you're going to laugh me off of this thread) but Prince.
John-John Joe

Postby J@3 on Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:28 pm

Dre Naismith wrote:Oh yeah, anyone ever heard of Yngwie Malmasteen? One of the best guitarists I've ever heard besides the late, great Jimi Hendrix and (you're going to laugh me off of this thread) but Prince.

Actually, one of my deep dark secrets is that I find Prince's music pretty catchy, and truth be told I don't actually mind it too much. He's pretty talented.

That being said, Morris Day and The Time kick ass :cool:
J@3

Postby Jowe on Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:38 pm

Dre wrote:Oh yeah, anyone ever heard of Yngwie Malmasteen? One of the best guitarists I've ever heard besides the late, great Jimi Hendrix and (you're going to laugh me off of this thread) but Prince.

Earlier in the thread

Jowe wrote:5. Yngwie Malmsteen

:shock: Another guitar player fan on the boards? , yeh i've heard of him. Probably the fastest shredder on teh planet, the guy is crazy fast on the guitar. :shock:

:)
Jowe

Postby thegreatdivide on Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:59 am

Hands down fav: Dave Matthews...he's pure genius
Others: Led Zep, Incubus, John Mayer, Tim Buckley, The Beatles, George Harrison (sans beatles), Chicago, Leonard Cohen and many, many more.

Locals who get props in my book: Me ( :) - i can dream), powderfinger, silverchair.
thegreatdivide

Postby Ataraxia on Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:34 am

John Mayer

Hes Pop....well Pop rock just like stupid Avril Lavigne.

Chicago

their talent is to put ppl to sleep ?

Plus this is outta the genre but Michael Jackson is one of my fav artists....its stupid how these new dicks make fun of him....hes a genious theirs only a handful of ppl that write, compose and do practically every shit by their self in makin an album. Huge Respect for him and fuck Eminem big time for makin nose jokes...what a coward !
Ataraxia

Postby Bang on Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:19 am

I thought there wasn't that many people here that would know Yngwie Malmsteen. Nice to hear that people know him.
Bored.
Bang

Postby Jowe on Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:23 am

Najira wrote:
John Mayer

Hes Pop....well Pop rock just like stupid Avril Lavigne.

Chicago

their talent is to put ppl to sleep ?

Plus this is outta the genre but Michael Jackson is one of my fav artists....its stupid how these new dicks make fun of him....hes a genious theirs only a handful of ppl that write, compose and do practically every shit by their self in makin an album. Huge Respect for him and fuck Eminem big time for makin nose jokes...what a coward !

John mayer is blues/pop. You obviously are a mainstream rock fan, with lack of knowledge of particular artists.
John Mayer has played with some great blues players like bb king, you wouldnt be able to do that if u were a pop artists. Since pop artists don't play guitars as well, they just lip sync.

But hey, you like limp bizkit. You must have great taste in music...not.

Chicago make great music. But I put it down to your bad taste and lack of respect for their genre of rock.

Rock isn't all about screaming and electronics.

With MJ, he's had some great guitarists play for him over the years, like Slash (Y)(Y) and Eddie Van Halen. Respect.
Jowe

Postby J@3 on Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:36 am

With MJ, he's had some great guitarists play for him over the years, like Slash and Eddie Van Halen. Respect.

Don't forget Scottie Pippen (Y)
J@3

Postby Ataraxia on Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:43 am

yes Im sure Dave Matthews screams and breaks guitars....Im sure Coldplay say "Fuck You Bitch Ah I wanna pray to satan"....im sure Finger Eleven, Audioslave, Depeche Mode, Filter, Goo Goo Dolls all go mad on stage and rap like Fred Durst.

If you love John Mayer so be it, hes Pop....course if u think Mayer's blues/rock then Avril must be Punk Rock? :roll:

Anyway bah who cares...........

FUCKITY FUCK FUCKABLE FUCKALICIOUS FUCKANITY FUCKING FUCKED FUCKALIKE FUCKERRING FUCKOTION FUCKASIOS FUCKS.
Ataraxia

Postby Jowe on Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:32 pm

Najira wrote:yes Im sure Dave Matthews screams and breaks guitars....Im sure Coldplay say "Fuck You Bitch Ah I wanna pray to satan"....im sure Finger Eleven, Audioslave, Depeche Mode, Filter, Goo Goo Dolls all go mad on stage and rap like Fred Durst.

If you love John Mayer so be it, hes Pop....course if u think Mayer's blues/rock then Avril must be Punk Rock? :roll:

Anyway bah who cares...........

FUCKITY FUCK FUCKABLE FUCKALICIOUS FUCKANITY FUCKING FUCKED FUCKALIKE FUCKERRING FUCKOTION FUCKASIOS FUCKS.

:roll:

I like Dave Matthews Band, Coldplay, Audioslave and Goo Goo dolls too. So you got my respect for that.

Avril is Punk/rock :roll: dipshit.

I don't have a single John Mayer song, but I know wat his style is and how he performs live.

When I was talking about screaming, I was talking about the other bands you listed, ie. Tool, Deftones, Limp :x , Everclear, hatebreed...

Since I was looking through the list, I saw u said Green Day are punk metal? .They are just punk rock.

But yeh, you like the popular rock.

I like the rock where the musicians have talent and the lyrics actually mean something.
Jowe

PreviousNext

Return to Hardwood Classics