HELP!!!!!

Discussion about NBA Live 2003.

HELP!!!!!

Postby Steven_T on Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:56 am

Hello, I desperately need help with downloading patches. I just bought NBA Live 2003 specifically for downloading patches and the xstartup.cfg file will not save after I have edited it. I read this guide already (http://www.nba-live.com/nbalivewiki/ind ... tion_Guide) to no avail. It did not help at all. I would just love for someone to give me a detailed explanation of how to start downloading these patches so I can have some fun. Appreciate it.
Steven_T

Re: HELP!!!!!

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:59 pm

That guide has been helping people for over ten years, so I'm not sure what other information we can provide. If you let us know which steps you're having trouble with in particular, then perhaps someone can offer specific advice.

We do have more information on CustomArt here:
http://www.nba-live.com/nbalivewiki/index.php/Customart

The fact that the changes aren't being saved to xstartup.cfg certainly doesn't help matters. Make sure that it hasn't somehow been write-protected. You could also try moving it to another folder, editing it there and copying it back once it has been successfully saved.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Steven_T on Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:52 pm

Alright, I appreciate the reply. I finally got around to saving the xstartup.cfg file in a new folder. So step 1 is finished. I really need help in about every aspect of this to be honest. Are there any video tutorials showing how to download a patch and how to make the change to NBA Live 2003? That would help a lot because I don't know where to save the patches once they're downloaded. Am I supposed to make new folders with the patches or replace old ones? I'm certainly lost.
Steven_T

Postby Andrew on Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:56 pm

There aren't any video tutorials.

Basically, you'll download an archive file (eg a .zip or .rar file) which contains the modified game files. These files must be extracted using a program like Winzip or Winrar, and placed in the appropriate folder.

Rosters are distributed as save folders, which must be placed in the main saves folder for the game. That's located in your Documents folder, eg Documents\NBA Live 2003\saves.

With CustomArt enabled, you need to place the files within the render folder, under the appropriate subfolder (which must be created). The names of these subfolders are based on the .viv files you'll see within the render folder, such as xplayers (player art) and xcourt (court art).

So, if you're adding a face for Kobe Bryant, you would need to:

1. Enable CustomArt
2. Create a folder in render called xplayer
3. Create a folder within xplayer called kobryan (this corresponds to the name of the face file, which matches a value in the roster. Conventionally, this is the first two letters of the player's first name and the first five letters of their surname).
4. Extract the Kobe Bryant face update files from the .zip/.rar file to the kobryan folder.

For a court update, with CustomArt enabled you would:

1. Create a folder in render called xcourt
2. Extract the files to this folder.

The same goes for the other .viv files. Basically, with CustomArt on, the game will load the files from the subfolders instead of what is in the .viv files.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Steven_T on Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:37 am

Alright, I got a couple files downloaded (2013-2014 rosters and roster faces and jerseys). I downloaded WinRAR and was able to extract the files. It is asking me where to extract them to. I do not see a \saves folder or a render folder, I only have a renfe folder. Any ideas what the problem is there? And I had to enable custom art and save it under an entire different document. I don't know what the issue is because I'm sure I'd have a lot less trouble if the right folders were there for me. I'm pretty sure I installed it right and everything. And also, is it a problem that the document for Nba live 03 is: DVD RW Drive (E:) NBA2003?
Steven_T

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:46 am

Yes, that is a problem. There's definitely something strange going on with your installation, I have no idea what's happened there. There won't be a saves folder under Documents\NBA Live 2003 until you actually save something (you can always create a folder in NBA Live 2003 called saves, of course), but the render folder should be in the game folder (eg Program Files\EA Sports\NBA Live 2003\) from the moment you install the game, since that's where all the art is installed.

Is there anything else you can tell us about your system? Which version of Windows are you running? Is it a legal copy of the game?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Steven_T on Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:15 pm

Yeah, I'm not quite sure either. I inserted the Live 03 disk into my laptop and checked out the files and the exact same files show up that show up on my PC. My PC is Windows 7 and my laptop is Windows Vista. I bought the game online a couple days ago. The disk has Jason Kidd on the front and the plastic holder the disk came in has the installation code on the back of it. I just found the render folder inside of the "install" folder which was compressed (zipped). It still won't let me save the modified custom art notepad under an NBA Live 03 file though. It keeps saying "You cannot save this here. Please try a different location." It also says my disk is full when I try to make the "saves" folder. Can I delete something to make room for it? That might be the same reason I can't modify the custom art under than NBA file as well..because it's full?
Steven_T

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:32 pm

I'd uninstall the game completely and then reinstall it, using the Run as Administrator option for the installation file. Something's definitely gone amiss there, somehow.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Steven_T on Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:48 pm

I don't even have that option. It's either advanced settings or normal settings. That's the only choice I have when installing it. Something is wrong for sure. Do you think it has anything to do with the installation code on the back giving me a different download? I'm lost at this point..
Steven_T

Postby Andrew on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:59 pm

I'm talking about the option in Windows 7 and Vista; right-clicking a program (in this case, the setup file on the NBA Live 2003 disc) and selecting the "Run as Administrator".

However, something definitely doesn't seem right there. NBA Live 2003 does not require any downloads during installation.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Steven_T on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:55 am

Alright, I worked with it a bit and finally under the C: drive was able to locate the EA Sports file containing NBA Live 2003. I was able to go in there and enable custom art 1 on notepad and save it. I have found the render folder as well. So things are looking bright now lol, I think I have a good shot at this. I just created a "saves" folder because I tried saving a franchise and a "saves" folder never appeared. It is supposed to have it's original folder and not be a subfolder, correct? I also created all of the subfolders under the render folder with the names of the .viv files. I downloaded (XtrangHero's 2013/2014 Season Update) and placed it under my "saves" folder. I then extracted the file into the folder. I then opened the game and nothing has changed. Could you lead me in the right direction? Appreciate it.
Last edited by Steven_T on Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steven_T

Postby PavleSRB on Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:31 am

Saves folder can be found in My Documents/ NBA Live 2003.
PavleSRB
"Champions have to do difficult things" - Dejan Radonjić

Postby Steven_T on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:58 am

I got my first download of patches working, the 99/00 rosters! Appreciate the help once again.
Steven_T

Postby Steven_T on Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:29 am

If I were to download: 2013/2014 Season Face Pack 1.0. After I extract the files, where do I put all of the folders?
Steven_T

Postby XtrangHero on Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:10 pm

dude youre gonna have to make an 'xplayer' folder inside the 'render' folder, then place all my art files(in folders) in it. make sure that the stuff that you are gonna put there are the folders that have the 7-letter code thing Andrew mentioned. Also, if you want complete cyberfaces, i suggest you also download Murat's 2012-13 update and Tommy's A Decade of Rosters (the art files).
->check my thread for some CF's!
PM XtrangHero here in the forums or in facebook for comments and suggestions.
This is my account.
XtrangHero
NBA Live 2003/04 CF Maker

Postby Andrew on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:10 pm

Additionally, once you've placed all the files, you'll need to load the roster from the Load/Save menu.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Steven_T on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:47 am

I downloaded the 2013-14 roster successfully. Once I bring up the game and load the rosters, all of the current players are there. When I extract the folders from Xtrang's face pack to the render folder, his folders mix in with the already added folders that were in there. I then load the game and all of the players are there and none of them have faces or bodies.
Steven_T

Postby Steven_T on Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:24 am

I downloaded the Murat's 2012-13 roster and art successfully. Once I bring up the game and load the rosters, all of the current players are there. Most of the players have heads some don't. Where can I find the rest? Also, where would I extract the NBC scoreboard file to?
Steven_T

Postby XtrangHero on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:07 am

dude you missed the A decade of rosters... That one has most of the stuff
what you shouldve done was download that, then Murat's, then mine because youll just be overwriting all the newer stuff in the process. the scoreboard goes in the renfe folder, forgot if it needs to be in another folder though
->check my thread for some CF's!
PM XtrangHero here in the forums or in facebook for comments and suggestions.
This is my account.
XtrangHero
NBA Live 2003/04 CF Maker

Return to NBA Live 2003