So....how do I play defence?

Talk about NBA Live 2005 here.

So....how do I play defence?

Postby Klaparen on Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:42 am

I can't really find any tutorials on this game outside of dunking and really need it as a noob to basketball gaming.

I really just can't figure out how to defend outside of smashing the steal button and clogging up the middle. Also really struggling with dribbling or passing to a player closer to the net for an easier 2 pointer. I'm relying on mostly 3 pointers so far which has a low percentage chance.
Klaparen

Re: So....how do I play defence?

Postby Book_Gazette on Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:00 am

Klaparen wrote:I can't really find any tutorials on this game outside of dunking and really need it as a noob to basketball gaming.

I really just can't figure out how to defend outside of smashing the steal button and clogging up the middle. Also really struggling with dribbling or passing to a player closer to the net for an easier 2 pointer. I'm relying on mostly 3 pointers so far which has a low percentage chance.

First off, defense is really hard to play, but you can switch defensive modes in game (which I don't do often because I play easy), and switch depending on what happens on the court, open three (switch to man), allow a layup (switch to zone).

On offense, look at hot zones and releases of a certain player. If you have a controller use the right stick and hit "A or whatever button that was mapped to dunk/layup) and exploit your opponents. You will have a tough time from three unless you have a really good shooter (eg Curry or Thompson).

I'd also recommend starting to play on easy and move up as you progressively get better
Book_Gazette

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:21 am

By holding up or down on the right stick, you can either put your hands up or get down in a defensive stance respectively. This is helpful in terms of bodying up on your man, bumping them, and getting a hand in their face to bother the shot. You're also less likely to commit fouls in these legal defensive positions.

From there, it's a matter of quick reactions, and anticipating your opponent's moves. The closer you play an opponent, the easier it will be for them to drive past you, though you can also bump them if your hands are up (right stick up) or you're in a defensive crouch (right stick down), and you'll be able to contest jumpshots easier. If you give them more room, it's going to be easier to play them for the drive as you'll have more space to move left or right to stay in front of them, but you're also giving them more room to shoot an open jumpshot. It's a matter of staying in front of them and in position to either cut off the drive or move in to contest or block the shot, but not have to chase them and catch up, because then you've been beaten. Great scorers are also going to be able to beat great defense at least some of the time, as in real life.

You can always go for the steal here and there. Pushing the right stick left or right to use either your left or right hand (whichever is closest to the ball) is a good method for success. Note that stealing is somewhat canned in NBA Live 2005 - there's no live ball physics - so while timing is somewhat important, it's not as sophisticated and a bit more predetermined than more recent basketball video games. Blocking is about timing on the button as well, though in NBA Live 2005 blocking is fairly easy - even when lowering the sliders, there's probably too many of them, especially on the perimeter - so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:40 am

I was almost always in defensive crouch, like 95% of the time I was on defense with the occasional steal attempt
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Murat on Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:00 am

The defensive crouch helps pretty well for defense. Constantly right stick down. Then you move right stick up when opponent shoots. Miss.

At least it worked this way in mid 2000s NBA Live games.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Return to NBA Live 2005