nets in nba live 2004

Discussion about NBA Live 2004.

nets in nba live 2004

Postby showstopper496 on Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:43 am

the nets in live 2004 look weird cause they have many animations of the ball going in, nba live 2001 had perfect net cause the ball always swished :shock:
showstopper496

Re: nets in nba live 2004

Postby TRUball on Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:45 am

showstopper496 wrote:the nets in live 2004 look weird cause they have many animations of the ball going in, nba live 2001 had perfect net cause the ball always swished :shock:

in real life, do you always get a swish no, so that is good....
TRUball

Postby ReyJ on Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:23 am

Making the net animations is probably a lot harder than what we may think.

Besides, I like the fact that the ball doesn't always swish all the time. It ain't realistic if it does.

It would be great if they added the shooters roll and shooters bounce. One that would bounce or roll around the rim and another animation where the ball would bounce on the rim, off the backboard and in it goes.

Just when you think the ball is going out, it goes back in. You get this "whoa" feeling when that happens in real-life and I'm sure it'll be the same when you're playing the game. :P
ReyJ

Postby Tracy_McGrady on Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:23 am

I would have to agree with Showstopper. Dont get me wrong, the ball shouldnt always swish, but since 2002, the swish animation has been HORRIBLE! Live 2001 was the last version to have a decent swish. And Im sure it cant be that hard to make a decent net animation. Think of all the stuff that they've achieved and a net would seem minor. Lately the nets have been a little too stiff (if you know what I mean). But aside from that Im sure the game will be a step up from last years version.
Tracy_McGrady

Postby chipper on Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:10 pm

Oh, so it's not about New Jersey Nets...

I want to see more shooters use the backboard.
chipper

Postby cocobee on Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:14 pm

I want to see more shooters use the backboard

man, in 2003 they over used the backboard.I hated the 3 pt bank shot.
cocobee
America's Team

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:17 pm

I felt too many free throws bounced around before dropping in NBA Live 2003, and too many shots went in off a friendly bounce. Like other aspects of Live 2003, it just needs to be toned down a little and it will be fine.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ReyJ on Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:17 pm

Andrew Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:17 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I felt too many free throws bounced around before dropping in NBA Live 2003, and too many shots went in off a friendly bounce. Like other aspects of Live 2003, it just needs to be toned down a little and it will be fine.

True, the FT's were kinda annoying. Even if you hit the balls right in the middle of the FT cursor, it would still bounce around. And when you're target, you think its gonna bounce around, but it goes swish instead.

As for jumpshots, i think the friendly roll and shooters bounce would be a nice addition, just not all the time.
ReyJ

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:22 pm

As for jumpshots, i think the friendly roll and shooters bounce would be a nice addition, just not all the time.

Agreed. The friendly roll/bounce was a little too common in NBA Live 2003, another factor in the high field goal percentages.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Metsis on Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:11 pm

They should do net mocapping and then implement it to the game. Just put some sensors on the net and have some guy do a shootaround.

Free throws were probably the most disastrous area in Live 2003. Live 2003 made the easiest shot in bball the hardest. Which is never good...

The back board needs to be used more and the ball needs to bounce more. I'd like to see someone killing a three point attempt on the hoop, so that it would roll off the rim... That would be a thing to see. It will either go in or bounce off the rim big time. I've never ever been able to kill a three point shot on the rim and trust me... I've shot alot of them.
Metsis

Postby diafenes on Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:39 pm

Metsis wrote:Free throws were probably the most disastrous area in Live 2003. Live 2003 made the easiest shot in bball the hardest. Which is never good...

exactly. I don't think I averaged over 40% in freethrows in 2003. :roll: I don't know what was wrong with the system they had prior to 2003. If it aint broke don't try to fix it I definitety hope that they revert back to the old freethrow system they had in 2000 It might have been easy to master but it worked! + it also reflected the players freethrow rating, in 2003 I don't know what it reflects, certainly not the players rating :?
diafenes

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:52 pm

NBA Live 2003 didn't allow as much latitude when showing free throws. You couldn't afford to be slightly off-centre, especially on the harder difficulty levels. Previous Lives were a little more generous when it came to the T-Meter. As Metsis said, it's the easiest shot in basketball (though some players struggle), so it shouldn't be too difficult to shoot high percentages with good free throw shooters.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Bredrin on Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:07 pm

i defineatly agree....it seems as if in 2003 the nets hardly moved and the sound of the ball clanking the rim didnt seem authentic to me. i would love to se the nets actually pop as the real ones do when the ball swishes through (where the base of the net pops up through the hoop itself) that happend too much in 2001 and never in 2003. That net pop is a sweet animation thats a great part of the satisfaction in hitting a shot. Also the shooters roll around on layups would be great....it just looks nice sometimes to see variety around the rim.
Bredrin

Postby Metsis on Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:21 pm

Andrew wrote:NBA Live 2003 didn't allow as much latitude when showing free throws. You couldn't afford to be slightly off-centre, especially on the harder difficulty levels. Previous Lives were a little more generous when it came to the T-Meter. As Metsis said, it's the easiest shot in basketball (though some players struggle), so it shouldn't be too difficult to shoot high percentages with good free throw shooters.

The problem was that the difficulty level changed the free throws for all the players... It should be extremely easy with players of 85 and above and it should never be easy with guys rated under 65.

It is just irritating... It seems that the AI knows that the free throws are hard to make and he just keeps on fouling you. That is just irritating, but it happens from time to time.

The t-meter should go pretty slowly for the good and fast for the poor shooters. I don't see why difficulty levels should effect free throw shooting at all... It shouldn't in my mind...
Metsis

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:23 pm

I guess it's just part of the increased challenge - everything gets harder. The easiest setting should make everything easy, the hardest setting should provide the toughest challenge. But you're right, Superstar mode shouldn't mean that free throws are exceptionally difficult.

On the harder settings, the difficulty of free throw shooting should be normal while on easier settings free throw shooting should be made noticeably easier, if you follow me. :wink:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Metsis on Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:00 pm

Exactly my point... The free throws should never get harder then what they are in reality. A little easier with easier settings. Usually the ft shooting has been relatively easy, but it should rather be easy then hard.
Metsis

Postby ReyJ on Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:17 pm

Live 2000 was probably the easiest game to shoot FT's. Maybe a lil too easy though.

Live 2001 was ok.

Live 2003, well, that's another story. I thought there was something wrong with me when I avg'd between 30-60% in FT shooting. But I've come to realise that everyone had the same problem.
ReyJ

Postby TRUball on Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:51 pm

maybe there add a slider for the amount of swishs or something like that in the game?
TRUball

Postby havasufalls on Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:28 am

I truthfully thought that i would like a harder FT shot. Every year i wanted live to make the FT shot harder so it would be more of a challenge but besides playing online the FT's this year were as easy as every year IMO. I play on the PS2 version on superstar level i record every game i play on my profile and before i started playin online my average was 91.8% FT shooting. There were times that i hit 100 straight in franchise mode(yea i keep track of stuff like that). I did notice a higer diffculty wen i switched my game to a different Televison set that was exceptionally bigger. My little brother's FT avg. is around 85% so we both mainly hit all our FT's but wen we played on our big screen TV for the first time we both missed around 20 FT's. It took a few games but u get the hang of it and wen we switched bac to a smaller TV we had to adjust again u got the hang of both TV's. I know im rambling but thats the only way i would c someone having diffculty shooting FT's in live 2003. Now i have a friend that shoots about 68% but he gets better all the time and some games he shoots 95% and others he shoots 45%. I like the FT shooting system and think it is to easy but wen u go online and play and miss 70, 80, or even 90% of your FT's it is frustrating. If they choose to make it harder i will like it for my franchise so i don't dominate the league every year in the FT area. If its easier i will love to go online and play the people that foul all game and hit the FT's rite in their face.

As for the net features i like the fact that every shot doesn't go in all net but if the make more go in all net then it will be cool i dont care either way as long as all the shots aren't going in nothing but net.
DA MAN HAS SPOKEN
havasufalls

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:11 pm

I guess the difference could also be the platform. The PC version is subject to slower PCs and lower performance/frame rates. I still feel that the FT shooting was slightly different to previous Lives though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby DaManFromGapo on Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:22 pm

could be....i usually would have to sacrifice graphic quality so that the T-meter would run smoothly and i would be able to shoot the free throws.

Free throw shooting ain't that bad. I enjoy missing a few shots now and then. I remember when a lot of people would complain that free throw shooting was very easy. Now some people complain that free throw shooting is very difficult. I guess EA thought that the best way to make players miss FT was to increase the speed of the T-meter.

It takes a lot of work though to at least get a 90% accuracy rate in the superstar level. I guess that we all wish we could practice our free throw shooting in practice. Maybe next year's edition would have such a feature.

cheers! :D
DaManFromGapo

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:31 pm

Oh, I don't mind missing free throws. It wouldn't be realistic if I could shoot 90+% with any player. But the speed of the T-Meter and difficulty of free throw shooting should be determined by the player's ability. For good free throw shooters, it should be the easiest shot in the game.

It's irritating when you see the CPU shoot 8/10 from the foul line with Shaq, while you encounter difficulties with Allan Houston or Troy Hudson.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby gut on Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:34 pm

:o :o

regarding the FT, I've played a match last night.
I was shocked that T-mac got 90.9% (10 of 11) FT%
that i'd never did.

usaully he got 40 ~ 50% .. :cry:

by the way, i also averaging 40 ~ 50% FT percentage for all other players...

i think it's a miracle last night :wink:
gut

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:36 pm

I think my best effort in Live 2003 was 17/18 free throws with KG. I haven't come close to that number (in makes and attempts) with a single player since. :wink:
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby gut on Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:42 pm

Andrew wrote:I think my best effort in Live 2003 was 17/18 free throws with KG. I haven't come close to that number (in makes and attempts) with a single player since. :wink:

cool :P :P :D
gut

Next

Return to NBA Live 2004