New Ratings will do it

Discussion about NBA Live 2004.

New Ratings will do it

Postby dreadd41 on Sun Feb 02, 2003 1:46 pm

I suggest more player ratings for even more individuality
- Layup (when high, a player will hardly get blocked, and will draw a lot of fouls plus a greater arsenal of moves)
- Clutch (level of gameplay in the final mins of 3rd and the full 4th quarter, not JUST last second plays)
- Dribling with the right hand - Dribling left
- Footwork (a low rating would often cause a player traveling violations on complex dribling attempts, like after a pump fake)
- Discipline (Low ratings equals T-fouls, but once a player gets one, he will calm down)
- Block Avoidance (a player's ability to avoid a blocked shot, works with jumpshots, layups and dunks)
- On Fire Feature (a special rating that changes according to a player's status in a game)
--> if he hits a shot, it raises, then if another basket is made, it goes up some more, and so on, making him on fire as he continues to score, so that all the other offensive ratings get higher until he misses a shot, commits a turnover or gets fatigued
There would be an on fire feature on defense as well, instigated by blocking shots, steals and charges taken. The value of a player's On Fire Feature would continue through the next game (if on a season, or playoff). This rating is a good thing for bench players, who may get a lot more playing time if they're on fire.
- Agressiveness
- Creativity

Peace.
dreadd41

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:26 am

As it happens, some of those ideas have actually been in previous NBA Lives. A Clutch rating was still around in NBA Live 2001, while aggressiveness was a hidden rating in the early NBA Lives.

With the addition of freestyle, two dribbling ratings would definitely add realism, since it would not only determine the player's ability to dribble with either hand without losing the ball, but also whether the player can crossover from right to left and left to right effectively and so on. However, I still think that could be achieved with one dribbling rating. A right-handed player with a high dribbling rating would also be fairly good with his left hand, while a right-handed player with a low dribbling rating would not be as co-ordinated and skilled with his left hand. Vice versa for left-handed players.

The reason I suggest one rating is the player's overall rating, which would be affected by additional player ratings. Having two ratings that show great skill with both hands would likely boost the overall rating much higher than the player might normally be rated, when his dribbling ability could be summed up in one rating, and moderated by being right or left handed.

On Fire currently exists, on both offense and defense, but it doesn't extend to the next game. I think NBA Live 99 had a similar feature (hot streaks/cold streaks during season mode), but it wasn't fully utilised.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby celticslegend33 on Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:07 pm

Wait, wait... NBA Live 2003 has an 'on fire' thingy going on already? Is it when the controlled player's circle changes color to light violet? (I'm using keyboard and thus, violet)

Does it affect the game?
celticslegend33

Postby BIG GREEN on Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:18 pm

I think it affects the game...in previous lives...when you a player is on fire...he is likely to make more shots. With this live...i dunno..mabe it just tells you that he's on fire for the heck of it..but his chances for making a shot isn't increased.
A big fan of the emerald hue and much higher state of being/
Yohance "thug" Bailey on the scene...now known as Big Green/
BIG GREEN

Postby Andrew on Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:26 pm

Yeah, it's in NBA Live 2003, but its effect isn't as apparent as previous Lives. Might help out a bit on superstar difficulty though.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby BenJammin on Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:16 pm

I can remeber playing nba live 99 on the n64 with no rules just for the hell of it. I got shaq to bowl them over and score i did this like 50x or so and then he was so on fire you could take shots with him for half court and get them 75% of the time.
BenJammin

Return to NBA Live 2004