Blocking - holding onto the button or simple tapping

Discussion about NBA Live 2004.

Do you think we need to complicate the blocks by following the suggestions in this topic?

sure, it would give gamers a better choice/gameplay.
86%
nah, too complicated for me. live 2003 blocking will do.
14%

Total votes : 7

Blocking - holding onto the button or simple tapping

Postby celticslegend33 on Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:54 pm

A lot of you will agree with me on this. Not all blocks end up getting swatted across the length of the court. It's absolutely ridiculous! With this, I'd like to offer my suggestions on future Live versions (with regards to blocking shots and how to control them).

1. A simple tap of the block button will make the defensive player jump and try to block the shot by simply raising his arms.
Advantage: This kind of block will have a more decent chance/percentage of blocking a shot; Less chance of getting a foul.
Disadvantage: The ball may be sent back to the shooter and thus, may opt to shoot again; Ball is only slightly blocked and worse, may still go in the basket.

2. Holding onto the block button will make the defensive player jump and swat the ball away (how far away is everyone's guess).
Advantage: Shot clock is stopped because the ball may be swatted out of bounds; Ball is sent farther from the basket or better yet, may land on teammate's hands; No chance of getting in the basket.
Disadvantage: Needs timing, or else blocking is useless because arms are still cocked or has been swung already (to block the shot); More chance of getting a call/foul.
celticslegend33

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:32 am

Interesting idea, but I think the Live 2003 blocking system is fine ie. block button to jump and block, hold up on right analog stick to put a hand in opponent's face. I'd just like to see the physics improved, with smaller players not being able to block much taller players with ease, not every block flies back to the opposite baseline/out of bounds.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby celticslegend33 on Sat Jan 18, 2003 4:27 pm

I don't have an analog controller yet for my PC yet. Maybe some time next month, I will. Right now, as far as I know, you can only put your hands up WHILE STANDING in front of your man. What I would like to see is players JUMPING UP AND just raising your arms (without swinging your arms to block the shot).

If I'm not mistaken, what I'm suggesting is not yet in Live 2003, right?
celticslegend33

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 18, 2003 4:35 pm

That's correct, you can't jump and put your hand straight up to block the shot, you can only stand and raise your arms, and jump to swat at the shot.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Sat Mar 01, 2003 8:12 am

also id like to see some sort of hustle, diving to the floor and maybe some jump balls?
mp3

Postby bchogan on Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:50 pm

I think we should have the ability to choose which direction a player jumps when he goes for a block. I don't like having my player automatically jump towards the player with the ball (trying to swat the ball), regardless of my player's momentum; it should at least be an option that can be toggled on or off.
bchogan

Postby Nick on Wed Mar 05, 2003 5:14 pm

I think the way it is is pretty good...except i hate the way it gets pounded out of bounds...

Andrew, what you said about how small players can block tall... I disagree...i have a 5-11 rookie that i'm using and he can't block a thing...not even other small Point guards... and he has a jump rating of 84.
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 05, 2003 5:53 pm

Perhaps I wait too long to release shots. :? I know I've been blocked by Darrell Armstrong, he racked up about 5 blocks. But like I said, could be the way I'm playing. Embarrassing either way. :wink:
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 2004