NBA 2K19 20th Anniversary Edition and Coverboy Leak

Talk about NBA 2K19 here.

Re: NBA 2K19 20th Anniversary Edition and Coverboy Leak

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:50 am

NBA Live still has a long way to go, but 18 did win some people over, especially with all the sales giving them a chance to try it out at bargain prices. Avoiding pay-to-win mechanics and whatnot can definitely be a selling point for them.

I don't think it's going to hurt 2K yet, at least not significantly. If things are as bad or worse than last year, though, I expect the backlash to continue.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:11 am

[Q] wrote:
Andrew wrote:True. I could certainly see it being worse. Forcing people to buy the more expensive 20th Anniversary Edition if they want to play it early is already moving in that direction.

Man, every year they seem to be screwing the consumer more and more. There was quite a few converts this year because of it and EA has a big opportunity to capitalize on it. Hell, it could be a selling point for their marketing

I hope Live makes a big jump in sales this year. I do agree with Andrew, though... this won't be a down year really for 2K. It's still by far the "Coolest" basketball game to play.

I listened to the most recent podcast, and what Andrew mentioned about Live targeting the younger demographic does have me a little concerned, mainly because of the uncertainty of such a statement. Does this mean that retro content wont be expanded? Does it mean that they are targeting the online modes even more, and we may not get a deeper dynasty mode? That statement bothers me for those reasons, I wish I hadn't heard that they said it.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Arcane on Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:58 am

Well fuck, this just confirmed for me to be a no purchase this year. The indication that the game will be heavily dependent on buying VC again has sealed the deal
Arcane
The NLSC's Jim Jefferies
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:05 am

V01D wrote:LeBron probably gonna be Cover so they need to bring back 2K14 graphics lightnings and cloth physics
comparing 15 16 17 18 to this makes me sick
[ Image ]

2K14 (this gen) was absolutely the best game to look at, I actually havn't seen anybody say otherwise (Other than paid reviewers). The lighting, the cloth physics, the reflections, the atmosphere, etc. 2K18 doesn't even have close to the visual appeal.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby MLBNFLNBALGS on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:58 am

Deleted
Last edited by MLBNFLNBALGS on Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MLBNFLNBALGS

Postby [Q] on Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:12 am

Andrew wrote:NBA Live still has a long way to go, but 18 did win some people over, especially with all the sales giving them a chance to try it out at bargain prices. Avoiding pay-to-win mechanics and whatnot can definitely be a selling point for them.

I don't think it's going to hurt 2K yet, at least not significantly. If things are as bad or worse than last year, though, I expect the backlash to continue.

Oh definitely. It's not going to happen overnight, but we've already seen the tables turn on dominance of the market once already. Conditions are ripe for it happening again. I could see Live 18 being like 2k2 or 2k3 in the timeline before the tide started to turn around 2k7 or 2k8
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby PeacemanNOT on Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:13 am

MLBNFLNBALGS wrote:[ Image ]

Did you make this? It's hilarious. You should post that on Twitter or Reddit.
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby Murat on Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:16 pm

[Q] wrote:
Andrew wrote:NBA Live still has a long way to go, but 18 did win some people over, especially with all the sales giving them a chance to try it out at bargain prices. Avoiding pay-to-win mechanics and whatnot can definitely be a selling point for them.

Oh definitely. It's not going to happen overnight, but we've already seen the tables turn on dominance of the market once already. Conditions are ripe for it happening again. I could see Live 18 being like 2k2 or 2k3 in the timeline before the tide started to turn around 2k7 or 2k8

Exactly. I do not call the turnaround happening in 2019, but in a few more years. A PC release of NBA Live would crash the race.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Patr1ck on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:38 pm

I was luckily disciplined enough to not buy 2K18 last year, and even avoided it with a 75% off coupon recently. With that said, we can all buy this year's game in all its glory without seeing one second of gameplay, nor knowing about any new features or improvements. Smells like perfume sprayed on horse shit.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Sith on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:43 pm

This world would be much better if people stopped doing useless things and started creating really good stuff...
Sith

Postby [Q] on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:30 am

Murat wrote:
[Q] wrote:

Exactly. I do not call the turnaround happening in 2019, but in a few more years. A PC release of NBA Live would crash the race.

Meanwhile, 2k shows no sign of slowing down: "Sales at launch were up 20 percent from NBA 2K17, and recurrent consumer spending was up 57 percent. And it was all thanks to MyCareer."
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby zzcoolj21 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:51 am

Sith wrote:[ Image ]

:bowdown:
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:56 pm

[Q] wrote:Meanwhile, 2k shows no sign of slowing down: "Sales at launch were up 20 percent from NBA 2K17, and recurrent consumer spending was up 57 percent. And it was all thanks to MyCareer."

And that's the thing. Despite the justified backlash and outrage, it hasn't hurt them. Yet, anyway.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby SIISISI on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:59 pm

You think they changed body types or still the same?
SIISISI

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:44 am

DanREZx0 wrote:You think they changed body types or still the same?

That's something we won't know until we see screenshots, no clue. They have changed them every year.

2K14 and 2K15 were different, same with 2K16 to 2K17 (2K17 introduced the skinny body type, yay), and 2K18 went with basically one or two body types only, and the bodies looked like clay.

No clue what they are going to do.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby voidjointx on Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:08 am

It was 2k15 or 16 that had 7-8 body types but now we have 3
Donations Are Appreciated

https://www.patreon.com/voidjoint
voidjointx

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:17 am

It's tough to say which direction they'll go in there. I'd like to think they'll improve models for the sake of authenticity, but they've gone in a puzzling direction the last few years.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:44 am

LOL. Here we go. Let's get everyone pre-ordering over the cover athletes. Don't tell them the game is going to be worse than last year's. We'll make our killing off the pre-orders. We don't care what they think of the gameplay! Thanks LeBron! :roll:
StyxTx

Postby StyxTx on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:48 am

Andrew wrote:Pre-Order Bonuses...

Standard Edition

• 5,000 Virtual Currency
  • 10 MyTEAM League Packs (delivered one a week)
  • 1 Cover Athlete Sapphire MyTEAM Card

20th Anniversary Edition

• 100,000 Virtual Currency
  • 50,000 MyTEAM points
  • 20 MyTEAM League Packs (delivered one a week). Build your perfect fantasy team featuring a guaranteed Sapphire LeBron card and more!
  • 10 MyTEAM Packs (delivered one a week beginning at the start of the NBA season)
  • 5 LeBron-themed murals for MyCOURT
  • LeBron MyCOURT design
  • King's Collection - Nike LeBron apparel & footwear (25 pairs!)

Physical items include:

• Poster
  • Sticker sheet
  • Wristband

Also, it looks like only the Anniversary Edition - which is more expensive - gets the Early Tip-Off Weekend. The Prelude will be out August 31st.

Sadly, it seems that 2K's market dominance has allowed them to forego any kind of goodwill, which is disgusting after the debacle that was NBA 2K18's shameful gouging. Hopefully I'm wrong and pre-ordering the standard edition still offers the Early Tip-Off Weekend as in years past, but if not...well, that's just greedy. The 100,000 pre-order VC also suggests expensive in-game prices once again. Also, The Neighborhood is back. Ugh.

The fact that they keep offering these pre-order bonuses without any mention of game improvements or whatever just shows that no one better expect any improvement. Probably another step back as each of the last 3 editions has been. But, you have those people.......
StyxTx

Postby sticky-fingers on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:57 am

You will have announcements of game improvements soon on OS... but will 2K really add them in the game ? :roll:
Read OS previous years articles and promises, and compare with the releases...
sticky-fingers

Postby matmat66 on Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:44 am

The advantages of 2k over Live for me now are availability in PC and legends/legend teams which you can use offline. I just hope Live will make the legends available in the roster even as an All Decade Team which we can use offline and insert the players to current teams.
matmat66

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:55 am

StyxTx wrote:LOL. Here we go. Let's get everyone pre-ordering over the cover athletes. Don't tell them the game is going to be worse than last year's. We'll make our killing off the pre-orders. We don't care what they think of the gameplay! Thanks LeBron! :roll:

It speaks to the comfortable position they're in, no doubt.

sticky-fingers wrote:You will have announcements of game improvements soon on OS... but will 2K really add them in the game ? :roll:

Agreed. A lot of the developer blogs sounded good, but the game didn't live up to the hype. As far as features were concerned, everything they said would be in the game was indeed in the game, but as far as gameplay was concerned, it didn't quite pan out as advertised.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:25 pm

on last few years, in few words, i can mention "3D Laser scan body" "improved defense" "unique ambiance for each arena"
sticky-fingers

Postby StyxTx on Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:22 am

sticky-fingers wrote:You will have announcements of game improvements soon on OS... but will 2K really add them in the game ? :roll:

Sometimes they are in the game at release but quickly removed in a soon-to-follow patch.
StyxTx

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:00 am

It works, every year. Part of the reason is because "It's 2k, man". That's why I am hoping Live truly makes a splash this year.

2K17 had many good elements of the game changed in later patches, specifically player movement (They made the players heavy after patches), they removed the first step/move burst, etc. The game felt completely different in December, as it did in January moving forward. I don't want to think it's possible, but sometimes I think it's by design in order to have people yearning for the new 2K title. I'm not saying that's what is happening, but I can't help but think that it's possible considering the trends over the last few years. The passing also seemed to get worse in later patches for 2K17.

2K16 suffered from the "stuck in the mud" movement after patches as well. Suddenly, players didn't move as fast, the game slowed down to a crawl. Why would they do that? They ramped up the movement quality for the start of 2K17, brought it back down again... what could be the purpose?

We were promised better defense in 2K18 (Unbelievable how bad it is), we've been promised scanned bodies (Have you looked at the bodies in 2K18?), we have been promised better play calling and smarter AI, etc. I'm honestly just sick of being lied to by money hungry companies like 2K, I feel like as consumers we have lately just been left in the dust.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K19