DDS Files Tutorial

Modding tutorials and other resources for NBA 2K18.

DDS Files Tutorial

Postby ksmiz on Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:18 am

Some of the new textures are BC7 compression so you need a newer plugin for photoshop to be able to open and view them
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-texture-works-plugin
this one worked for me and many others

^ Click save as type drop down menu and find this^

This is what it looks like for me. Photoshop CC 2017

You may need to do a similar process to even open these files to begin with in that case refer to the first picture and do the same but select "Open As..."

I will gladly take suggestions on other programs and edit this post as needed. I've seen a few programs that can view this type of compression but so far things like plugins for gimp I haven't found when I first went looking to figure this out.

I also hope someone will be able to tell whether or not it is possible to get the files to be previewed as a thumbnail in file explorer because idk why they are just blank thumbnails assigned to whatever program you default open them with (in this case just photoshop squares that say ps)

I've seen many people ask for this so hopefully placing it in tutorials will help stop more threads

Update Edit:
Another simple option. Really helps for those without photoshop is paint.net https://www.getpaint.net/download.html
Combined with this plugin https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/11173 ... 018-02-22/ Github link

You might have to rename a file as dds2 to open within paint.net and then save as dds2 to use all the available options but it can read and write these formats so that is good to add into the available options. Just rename to dds before putting back into game.
Last edited by ksmiz on Thu May 03, 2018 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
This topic was moved from NBA 2K18 Modding by Andrew on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:08 am.
ksmiz

Re: DDS Files Tutorial

Postby ksmiz on Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:40 am

Great write up from the intel site linked at the bottom talking about compression:Understanding BCn Texture Compression Formats

Also going to add part of a table from the intel site. Compares the different BC7 choices hopefully it does not add confusion just click the one I highlighted in first post and it should work.
ksmiz

Postby ksmiz on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:28 am

Found an alternative from here:

Andrew wrote:I've been extracting some logo files this evening (chiefly stuff like this year's 2K Pro-Am logo), and I was having some trouble opening the DDS files. After a bit of searching around, I found this plugin for paint.net:
https://github.com/dtzxporter/FileTypeDDS

With that installed, NBA 2K18's DDS files are opening just fine. Just thought I'd post it here in case anyone else is having issues opening them. No renaming required; just install the latest version of paint.net, make sure it isn't running while you install the DDS plugin, and then you'll be able to open the files as before.
ksmiz

Postby headtrip on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:52 am

thank you very much for this bro,, i really need this,,
headtrip

Postby headtrip on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:45 am

how can i save the texture for courts, jersey and cyberface... what settings?
headtrip

Postby ksmiz on Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:29 am

headtrip wrote:how can i save the texture for courts, jersey and cyberface... what settings?

What do you mean? It's right there. Just click the one I highlighted
ksmiz

Postby masonjason48 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:23 pm

after edited and saved the file with proper formats like in the example then import the dds file but on the show iff editor highlight screen of the 2k explorer jersey just dissapear and black screen on the highlight appear.

and in the game player and selected jersey which I edited are unvisible in the game. the weird thing is, when I trying to import as default nvidia dds format dtx1 alpha 1 instead of intel texture dds format somehow in the show iff editor highliht saved properly and visible in the highlight of the 2kexplorer screen.but when in the game jerseys and players unvisible again.what I have to do to fix these issue?

ksmiz wrote:
headtrip wrote:how can i save the texture for courts, jersey and cyberface... what settings?

What do you mean? It's right there. Just click the one I highlighted

highlighted values which you make doesn't convertable with jerseycolor dds.I tried different values but same invisibility error every time.I download custom jerseys or using the explorer and export the default jerseycolor dds then I editing after save then error.something missing.I need help.I can't find a solution or tip nor here neither anywhere so far. :roll: maybe must be used different version photoshop or 2kfile explorer don't know
masonjason48

Postby vstiguy on Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:14 pm

So how do you imort the new dds files?
vstiguy

Postby ksmiz on Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:17 am

open iff with 7zip
drag n drop dds into .iff
paste .iff file into modded folder
ksmiz

Postby TheGeneral6 on Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:08 am

ksmiz wrote:open iff with 7zip

Thanks for your tutorial on saving textures etc bro -- literally the only one I could find anywhere and it works.
TheGeneral6

Postby NickyLashyPP2 on Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:10 pm

Does this work for 2k19? Cause Idk how to put yellow brushes or the thing that covers the beard and hair in Face_color? whats the settings for the file type?
[img]https://plus.google.com/110093441885006739542/posts/P3vnMAkeSzv?pid=6300167086638774978&oid=110093441885006739542[/img]
NickyLashyPP2

Postby DarceChoke918 on Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:10 am

ksmiz wrote:open iff with 7zip

So helpful, you are the man!! Thank you!!
DarceChoke918

Return to NBA 2K18 Tutorials & FAQs