Let's Talk About Shooting (Jumpshots, Mechanics, etc)

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

Let's Talk About Shooting (Jumpshots, Mechanics, etc)

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:06 pm

Here's a topic all about shooting the basketball in NBA 2K18. In some respects, it's focusing on MyCAREER and the connected modes, but the information on mechanics is relevant to all modes.

So, one of the big gripes with shooting this year is the amount of Good releases that go awry. Turns out, there's a reason for that, as explained by NBA2KLab:

phpBB [video]

In short, a Good release is basically a nerfed Perfect release, that has a very low chance of going in (instead of going in every time). Obviously this has been done to cut down on cheese and avoid players shooting ridiculous percentages by perfecting the release timing for their jumpshot. I can see where the idea is coming from, but in practice, it means that Good releases have less chance of going in than Slightly Late or Slightly Early releases, which strikes me as being illogical.

With that in mind, it's obviously preferable to get Green releases as often as possible, while keeping in mind that Good releases aren't actually that Good (except to say that your timing is pretty good, and it'll probably allow you to get some Greens if you keep working on it). Agent 00 has put together some good tips videos for shooting, but it basically comes down to picking a jumpshot that feels right for you (or becoming accustomed to the jumpshots of the players you're controlling). When mastering jumpshots, there are a few things to consider:

• The base is what determines the window for getting Green releases. Some bases have bigger windows, making some players easier to shoot with by default, and providing a good place to start when creating a custom jumpshot for your MyPLAYER.
  • The release animation is basically the visual cue for the optimal release point. Depending on whether the release is a one or two motion release, the cues will differ.
  • Mixing and blending animations, as well as adjusting the speed, allows you to create a more distinct visual cue and manageable timing.
  • The rumble feedback kicks in when you're hitting the Perfect release window. Combined with the visual cue of the animation, it's a helpful way to master your timing.
  • Timing differs on moving shots, compared to stationary shots and catch & shoot situations.
  • Badges - both yours and your opponents - have an effect on the process, as does defensive pressure.
  • Everything can change based on whether you're playing online or offline in general, and MyCAREER, 2K Pro-Am, or The Playground specifically, due to differences in input lag.

Therefore, stick skills and factors such as Badges and compensating for input lag aside, one of the best things you can do for your MyPLAYER is create a custom jumpshot with a base that gives you the best chance of getting a Green release, and a release animation (be it pure or a mixture of a couple of animations) that will work as a good visual cue for your timing. Now, NBA2KLab has done extensive research on the timing for bases, though detailed information is only available to those with a paid subscription. Nevertheless, it's definitely worth linking them here as a resource, as a lot of good info is also freely available.

I figured we could share our own jumpshot builds, and try to come up with some good combinations based on what's working for everyone. I'll start by sharing a few of my own.

This is the one I'm currently using:

Curried Bird

Base: 49
Release 1: Stephen Curry
Release 2: Larry Bird
Animation Blend: 50-50
Speed: 75% of the bar (second-fastest)

I've read that Base 49 is one of the better bases for the Green window, though I've also heard that that might have changed following one of the patches and/or tuning updates. I've had some success with it though, and the mix of Curry and Bird's releases seems to work pretty well for timing and visual cues. I may have to change up the base, but I feel it's a decent place to start.

Some of my other Base 49 jumpshots include:

Klay 49

Release 1: Klay Thompson
Release 2: Klay Thompson
Animation Blend: 100-0
Speed: 75% of the bar (second-fastest)

Pretty solid visual cue, this is one I might return to (especially online). Again, it's one I might have to try with a different base, as of the most recent patch and tuning updates.

Shammy Wells

Release 1: 27
Release 2: 27
Animation Blend: 100-0
Speed: 100% of the bar (fastest)

The shooting form that Shammy Wells uses (rather effectively, at times). It's worth trying out, but it's a very quick release, so that's something you need to get used to. It could be good for online play in terms of getting your shot off quickly, but with input lag, also rather difficult to master.

Further thoughts, discoveries, and information I've picked up...

Bases

• Amateur 1 used to be recommended, but has apparently been nerfed in a patch.
  • I have heard that Bases 9 and 11 are worth checking out.
  • D'Angelo Russell is another commonly recommended base.

Releases

• Klay Thompson's form is pretty solid.
  • Stephen Curry's form seems to have a stabilising effect on most blended animations, and being a great form used by an outstanding shooter, it tends to be a good visual cue.
  • Some combinations can look rather odd, especially depending on the base, but are still surprisingly effective because they have a distinct visual cue that helps master their timing.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Let's Talk About Shooting (Jumpshots, Mechanics, etc)

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:18 pm

In case it got lost in the length of the first post, the TL;DR version of what this topic is about:

• The shooting mechanics (and our opinions on them).
  • Gameplay tips regarding shooting (controls, good practices, etc).
  • Good custom jumpshots to create.
  • Whether any players' vanilla forms are better to use, and if so, which ones.
  • Wacky custom jumpshots, if you so desire.

In short, if it's about shooting mechanics or jumpshots, let's talk about it here.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Let's Talk About Shooting (Jumpshots, Mechanics, etc)

Postby Andrew on Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:42 pm

Some of my latest adventures in my quest to find a reliable jumpshot: http://www.nba-live.com/mto-quest-reliable-jumpshot/
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K18