NBA 2K18 & excessive monetization of the franchise

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

NBA 2K18 & excessive monetization of the franchise

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:07 pm

VC kills this franchise because 2K tries to make even more money after selling an AAA game.

While most of bad critics are related to VC, everyone forget to mention 2K's others methods for the excessive monetization of this game : adverts in an AAA game

-> Last example here in NLSC modding section, Under Armor Ads for Curry4

And for that, no one really complains :shock: :roll:
Can you imagine how much under armor paid for it ? Ads for a target market on the #1 game ?!
You've paid an AAA game, and you have to endure theses methods ?! :applaud: :facepalm2: :furious:
Dont also forget the onboard telemetry. 2K could justifiy at Under Armor that thousands of players have seen theses ads.

So after the experience of the last years, when i play NBA2K18, i turn Steam Offfline : no advert, no sponsor screen, no new hastag.
I only launch the game with steam online to update the game or download rosters.

They want money, more money, i give them the less i can.
That's also why i took it on grey market, 29€ day one.
sticky-fingers

Re: NBA 2K18 & excessive monetization of the franchise

Postby StyxTx on Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:02 pm

There is so much more to criticize this game for too.

It's the #1 game because right now the only other game is in a rebuilding process. The lack of legit competition has destroyed 2k because they know they can do whatever they want and there are still people who will buy it.....gladly. They have no incentive to actually improve the game, just keep on gouging it's users, the ones who can afford it. I can't and even if I could I wouldn't support any company that is obviously grabbing for whatever money I have in my pocket. There are so many other things I'd rather spend my money on.

But as I say, you can have 20 bags of garbage. One may smell better than the rest, but it's still garbage.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:23 am

I have to admit that I'm kind of numb to that kind of in-game advertising, probably because it's so prevalent in the real NBA as well. It's just there in the background for me, while issues with the VC have a more direct impact on the experience. I don't disagree with the sentiment though, and it does indeed make the microtransaction gouging feel even more rotten when you consider the branding deals that must be in place and making 2K a decent amount of money.

It also makes you wonder how far they'll push it, how much they'll press their luck. Will we start seeing some unskippable commercials during games, because "real NBA broadcasts have ads, too"? Will it cost VC to skip said ads? It may sound absurd, but when you consider what they did with VC this year, they've already thrown away a lot of trust and goodwill. Sadly, it's not beyond the realm of possibility.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:50 pm

Andrew wrote:Will we start seeing some unskippable commercials during games

It's already there :
- during a game :
------ on dunk replay, you've got an advert for Under Armor this year, for Sprite years ago. You cant skip it.
------ watermark hastag last years. You cant remove it.

- at the start of the game, screns like Curry4 ads pop up.

- on studio TV Show, NBA2K logo is also replaced by ads sometimes.

Andrew wrote:Will it cost VC to skip said ads? It may sound absurd, but when you consider what they did with VC this year, they've already thrown away a lot of trust and goodwill. Sadly, it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

Don't give them bad ideas Andrew ! :lol:
They even could ask us to have more adverts and pay VC for it :cheeky:
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:25 pm

There is that, but I meant a full screen ad that lasts 30 seconds or more, akin to what you'd see on TV. That is, an actual commercial break. In-game branding is one thing, but that would be really intrusive.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:25 am

Andrew wrote:There is that, but I meant a full screen ad that lasts 30 seconds or more, akin to what you'd see on TV. That is, an actual commercial break. In-game branding is one thing, but that would be really intrusive.

Pretty sure I saw something like that on a video game recently, can't remember which game. Madden maybe?

It was an ad that lasted like 10-15 seconds. Im going to see if I can find out which game it was.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:57 am

It doesn't surprise me, we are reaching that point with video games being the huge industry they've become.

I don't mind some in-game branding, especially for sports games as it's not unrealistic. As long as it's not too intrusive, it adds a bit of authenticity in its own way. Full commercial breaks would be pushing things too far, though.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:41 pm

Andrew wrote:As long as it's not too intrusive, it adds a bit of authenticity in its own way.

You're already brainwashed :shock: :mrgreen:

Adverts on TV fund TV channels and the rights to broadcast sporting events.

But when you pay for a game, ads are only bonus for the studio...

Could you imagine adverts in Super Mario at the end for DIY store, or each time you use a pipe ? :mrgreen:
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:51 pm

Different genres. There was in-game branding as far back as NBA Live 98, if not earlier. I'd be more concerned if they were more intrusive, and the VC issues are a bigger sticking point for me.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:35 am

At the end of each quarter, there's a long black screen and audio comments are something like that "we come back after that"."
So 2K is pretty ready this year :?
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:37 am

Yeah, that does make you wonder.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:10 am

Seems about right.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:09 am

It's one thing to have ads in-game on dornas etc where ads are in real life. To me it's much worse when you get ads disguised as unskippable cutscenes that add nothing to your experience (well, to be honest it gives me enough time to take a leak).
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby sticky-fingers on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:58 am

Andrew, you say many times that 2K has been to far this year (EA too)
UK government seems to take care about that : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... s-petition
Same in France : https://www.vg247.com/2017/11/25/french ... -gambling/
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:32 am

Yeah, loot boxes are becoming a problem, and are being rightfully investigated. Unfortunately that doesn't apply to 2K, because you are getting exactly what you paid for with VC. It's just that your hand is being forced in terms of buying it with real money, if you want to avoid a tedious grind, or remain competitive online.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K18