2K - you're dead to me now

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

2K - you're dead to me now

Postby JWL3 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:12 pm

So I come home today and look with apprehension at my XBOX (that I bought exclusively for 2K18 (to avoid the cheats on PC), knowing that I have another long day to grind and not have fun at all. I turn it on and watch with dread as Patch 1.04 starts to download. The only thing that made this grind doable was the glitch that I found online that allowed me to set 1 minute quarters in mycareer. Even with this glitch, the games were miserable grindfests whose sole intentions were to earn VC to level up and to do gym exercises for badges. I start the game up, and as I feared, they patched this glitch - the one thing that kept me sane through this grind.

I tried playing the first game against the Bucks, 5 min quarters. Getting destroyed because I'm rated 79 and a piece of trash. And then I decided - this is not where I want my life to lead. I spend an insane amount of time each year on 2K, 400 hours. For a middle-aged dad, that's a vast part of your disposable time. I've gotten into arguments with my wife, even have ignored my daughter's crying temporarily as I was playing online. This is it. I can takes no more. It's a sign from God that it's time to put away childish things. My frustration with this game has been building up and building up. When entertainment stops being entertaining, we walk out. We walk out of the theater. We stop the movie. We stop playing. I am done with 2K. While I may still play other video games, I am done putting in the ridiculous hours to grind year after year after year. You killed the golden egg 2K. You had a product that you were making millions on, a captive audience, and you killed it from your greed. I will never buy another 2K video game again. (Ask EA Sports if I'm true to my word about that...)

Later fellas; I hope I have enough willpower to not turn back to this wretched game.
JWL3

Re: 2K - you're dead to me now

Postby Kevmire on Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:40 pm

lol. Middle aged dad. How old are you? 40 is the new 30! I am also a Father, there is no My Career for this guy. Strictly offline!
Kevmire

Postby [Q] on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:10 pm

That was what my biggest problem was with the game when I played 2K16. I'm no longer in college, I'm a grown adult with a real job now. I simply don't have time for grinding any game anymore like I did 5 or 10 years ago.

That's the beauty of Live 18. It doesn't take forever to progress and level up.

I do agree 2K sounds like they're really pushing their luck nowadays, especially with Live making another push. I've done a lot of gambling in my life and my motto now is "don't get greedy" because more often than not, it leads to a mistake or just you losing more than you were willing to lose. And 2K is definitely getting a bit greedy and for what? They're already making a ton on VC every year, what's another couple thousand bucks? I mean, I get it they are there to turn a profit and make money but damn
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:23 pm

2K new policy : if you can't play, pay
sticky-fingers

Postby benji on Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:35 am

JWL3 wrote:I will never buy another 2K video game again. (Ask EA Sports if I'm true to my word about that...)

I doubt EA would know you even exist.

But have fun: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take-Two_ ... bsidiaries
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_T ... ideo_games
benji

Postby JWL3 on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:05 am

benji wrote:
JWL3 wrote:I will never buy another 2K video game again. (Ask EA Sports if I'm true to my word about that...)

I doubt EA would know you even exist.

But have fun: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take-Two_ ... bsidiaries
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_T ... ideo_games

Of course not. Each of us is small and insignificant, but united, we can topple an empire... (High Sparrow, Game of Thrones)
JWL3

Postby JWL3 on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:07 am

Kevmire wrote:lol. Middle aged dad. How old are you? 40 is the new 30! I am also a Father, there is no My Career for this guy. Strictly offline!

41, with a little girl. And if I spent half as much time in a real gym as I do in 2K's virtual one, I'd be harder than Rocco Siffredi.
JWL3

Postby JWL3 on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:12 am

[Q] wrote:That was what my biggest problem was with the game when I played 2K16. I'm no longer in college, I'm a grown adult with a real job now. I simply don't have time for grinding any game anymore like I did 5 or 10 years ago.

I do agree 2K sounds like they're really pushing their luck nowadays, especially with Live making another push. I've done a lot of gambling in my life and my motto now is "don't get greedy" because more often than not, it leads to a mistake or just you losing more than you were willing to lose. And 2K is definitely getting a bit greedy and for what? They're already making a ton on VC every year, what's another couple thousand bucks? I mean, I get it they are there to turn a profit and make money but damn

Yeah, MyCareer when it was first introduced was great. I still played the regular NBA season with NBA teams, but as the years passed, I started devoting much more time to MyCareer. To the point where last year, I don't think I played more than 10 NBA v NBA games. It was all MyCareer and Mypark. I established a cool network of like minded mature bball gamers who moved the ball totally selflessly and knew each of our roles.It was glorious (again, except for the 99 everything all HOF badge cheaters on PC). The grind was brutal, but the rest of the year was well worth it. The way 2K nerfed all the VC payouts from the app and in game, the grind is unacceptable this year. A lot of my crew who joined me on the xbox platform disappeared too, so losing that support system and camraderie made me lose the motivation to grind it out as well.
JWL3

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:12 am

As of the latest patch, VC rewards for Player of the Half and Player of the Game in 2K Pro-Am have also been nerfed. I understand wanting to patch exploits and all that, much as they can be a godsend for users, but to also continue to cut down on VC rewards in the face of all the backlash is astonishing. It shows a pretty blatant disregard for the user base.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:17 am

JWL3 wrote:
[Q] wrote:That was what my biggest problem was with the game when I played 2K16. I'm no longer in college, I'm a grown adult with a real job now. I simply don't have time for grinding any game anymore like I did 5 or 10 years ago.

Yeah, MyCareer when it was first introduced was great. I still played the regular NBA season with NBA teams, but as the years passed, I started devoting much more time to MyCareer. To the point where last year, I don't think I played more than 10 NBA v NBA games. It was all MyCareer and Mypark. I established a cool network of like minded mature bball gamers who moved the ball totally selflessly and knew each of our roles.It was glorious (again, except for the 99 everything all HOF badge cheaters on PC). The grind was brutal, but the rest of the year was well worth it. The way 2K nerfed all the VC payouts from the app and in game, the grind is unacceptable this year. A lot of my crew who joined me on the xbox platform disappeared too, so losing that support system and camraderie made me lose the motivation to grind it out as well.

I think I played maybe 1 game with regular NBA teams. There was no real incentive to do so.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:32 am

I want to get into MyLEAGUE this year, though it sounds like there's some unfortunate bugs there as well.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby benji on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:37 am

The sheer fact that my players aren't asking me to change the practice difficulty every other day and then revolting if I change it how they want, meaning the best policy is ignoring them, has made MyGM more tolerable this year.
benji

Return to NBA 2K18