VC rant (not mine)

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

VC rant (not mine)

Postby JWL3 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:16 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA2k/comments ... ga_thread/

Awesome thread that summarizes exactly how I (and a lot of you guys) feel about 2K18.
JWL3

Re: VC rant (not mine)

Postby JWL3 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:54 am

I'm averaging 600 VC per game with a C average. I need 182,000 VC to get to level 85. That is 306 games of suck to endure, not counting the badge grinding. The easy way out is to give the rapist what he wants and buy the VC. But I'm not giving them the satisfaction.

Every night starts the same, I turn on 2K somewhat eager to play. I leave after 3 hours with soul crushing morose, barely improving +1 or not at all. Maybe I'm beginning to see why people on PC used Cheat Engine...
JWL3

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:09 pm

We actually had a decent session of 2K Pro-Am last night. We kind of lucked out in that we were facing some high-rated players, but they weren't too cheesy.

The well-documented issues with grinding and VC aside, there needs to be better matchmaking that pits squads of equal strength and ranking against each other. Otherwise, it makes it harder to get into the online modes, because people who are still working their way up are thrown in there with people who have been grinding like mad and/or paying to upgrade faster.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby benji on Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:39 pm

Best part about the VC this year is that they completely demolished the amount of VC you can get from the Mobile App.

You get 100 for logging in, and can get 500 through playing ten quick games.

Last year, you could, in theory, potentially get 2000 a day and rarely walked away with less than a thousand. Especially when the season was on, if you did the pick 'em for the real games.

You can still at least do the quick games like I used to, while I brush my teeth or whatever, just tap tap tap tap which makes it hurry up. If you really don't care about your mobile record you don't even have to tap them in an order to compete since you get the 50 VC per game for just playing it.

Oh, I see that mentioned in the linked post.
benji

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:51 pm

I'm kicking myself for not making better use of the app last year. This year, it definitely doesn't feel worth it.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:36 am

BTW since I'm on a 1 season contract, after I finish it I should be able to negotiate higher salary and more VC right?
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby JWL3 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:45 am

benji wrote:Best part about the VC this year is that they completely demolished the amount of VC you can get from the Mobile App.

You get 100 for logging in, and can get 500 through playing ten quick games.

Last year, you could, in theory, potentially get 2000 a day and rarely walked away with less than a thousand. Especially when the season was on, if you did the pick 'em for the real games.

You can still at least do the quick games like I used to, while I brush my teeth or whatever, just tap tap tap tap which makes it hurry up. If you really don't care about your mobile record you don't even have to tap them in an order to compete since you get the 50 VC per game for just playing it.

Oh, I see that mentioned in the linked post.

Yup, I noticed the VC creep last year when (in the daily bonus), 250 cards came out a lot less frequently than in 2k16. This year, they eliminated it completely and just gave everyone a flat 100. Almost makes it not worthwhile to use the dumb app. That card game is so unentertaining. I just randomly tap, not caring if i win or lose since you still get 50 VC either way.

I agree that the app hit hurts the most. A lot of people complain about the removal of VC multipliers for difficulty settings. I was never good enough to play at Superstar or All Star level and still do well enough to take advantage of it. The few games at Superstar I played, I did so badly and sucked so hard that it was LESS VC than my average Pro level games' VC.
Last edited by JWL3 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
JWL3

Postby JWL3 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:49 am

Dommy73 wrote:BTW since I'm on a 1 season contract, after I finish it I should be able to negotiate higher salary and more VC right?

I"m nowhere near that yet (only on my 10th game of season 1) but they had better. If it was anything like last year, my guess is that the jump in salary is completely minimal, unrealistic to the real NBA where, if you were a stud, you got showered with cash and b*itches at the next contract signing.

Remember 2K16, when they made you play 3 seasons before you could get off the rookie contract and negotiate a real one? I remember the jaw-dropping disappointment when I hurried and grinded to finish season 2 and then had nothing happen, only to realize it was another crud season before you could negotiate. I don't know why I didn't just sim through the entire season to be honest...Stupidity?
JWL3

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:58 am

Dommy73 wrote:BTW since I'm on a 1 season contract, after I finish it I should be able to negotiate higher salary and more VC right?

I'd assume so. From memory it's a one year deal, similar to NBA 2K17 (which it shouldn't have been last year as a first round pick, but in that respect it was an enjoyable break from reality, so I didn't mind).
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby ThePointForward on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:58 am

I am near the All-Star game where my 71 OVR SF is probably gonna play. I am also comfortably leading the RotY race and currently second in MVP race (Westbrook is putting up triple doubles, so he's leading).

BTW finally grinded out the free throw badge to gold. Lots of green releases now. Good releases are generally 90% or more. If I'm "hot" it's 100% even on non-green releases.
Now grinding Gold relentless finisher (got silver atm).

Right now my goal is roughly 60000 VC to push my attributes where I want them to be really good.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby JWL3 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:11 pm

Dommy73 wrote:I am near the All-Star game where my 71 OVR SF is probably gonna play. I am also comfortably leading the RotY race and currently second in MVP race (Westbrook is putting up triple doubles, so he's leading).

Dang man, how do you guys play so well with such bad ratings? I'm a 66 and I am utter shite. Averaging 1pt, 1 assist, 1 reb, 2 turnovers per game. 5 min quarters and just turned the difficulty to Pro (easiest). Are there any other setting out can mess with to make me less useless? Sliders in MyCareer?
JWL3

Postby ThePointForward on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:51 pm

I play 12 minutes quarters which gives me lot of time. I also turned on automatic playcalling to have players moving on their own a lot.

My character is 6' 8" SF with Driving and Finishing as primary and defending as secondary.

I pull in lots of rebounds (averaging double digits) and now lots of points, because driving is pretty easy to do with Gold Relentless Finisher badge. And when I get fouled, I already have Gold Free Throw badge.

I now have 19 skill badges, lots of them maxed (2 gold, 1 silver, bunch of bronze), others work in progress in various stages.

BTW I somehow managed to score 90 pts against rockets (both Harden and CP3 were injured in that game).
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:36 pm

I'm still missing free throws with the Bronze Free Throw Ace Badge, so it looks like I need to keep grinding. Shame you can't practice free throws at will once you've exhausted the Badge drills.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby JWL3 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:55 am

Dommy73 wrote:I play 12 minutes quarters which gives me lot of time. I also turned on automatic playcalling to have players moving on their own a lot.

My character is 6' 8" SF with Driving and Finishing as primary and defending as secondary.

I pull in lots of rebounds (averaging double digits) and now lots of points, because driving is pretty easy to do with Gold Relentless Finisher badge. And when I get fouled, I already have Gold Free Throw badge.

I now have 19 skill badges, lots of them maxed (2 gold, 1 silver, bunch of bronze), others work in progress in various stages.

BTW I somehow managed to score 90 pts against rockets (both Harden and CP3 were injured in that game).

How much VC do you get each game on average? I turned it down to 5 min quarters to shorten the games and get optimal salary VC. But maybe your method of maxing out the stats may net me more per min of gameplay. And your way helps you grind badges and unlock upgrades.
JWL3

Postby JWL3 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:57 am

Andrew wrote:I'm still missing free throws with the Bronze Free Throw Ace Badge, so it looks like I need to keep grinding. Shame you can't practice free throws at will once you've exhausted the Badge drills.

Did 2K get rid of a rating for free throws? From my understanding, badges activate randomly and not every time. (Last year my HOF diner badge would light up on maybe 30% of my assists) if that's the case, the free throw badge boost is only for some of the free throws you take?
JWL3

Postby ThePointForward on Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:04 am

I think it's the same amount as everybody, but it's good for stats and badges.

As far as free throws go the stat is hidden, but no badge = 65 rating, brozne = 75, silver = 85 and gold = 95.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby benji on Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:35 am

FT's seem easier this year, using the shot meter anyway, I'm hitting 80%. Last year I'd get perfect and it'd bounce off, now they swish.

Rebounding in the single digits is seriously harder than averaging Rodman like numbers, it's been like this forever, especially as a SF since the AI won't ever box you out you can drop down off the perimeter or slither in for prime positioning and grab them. Even as a PF/C it's easy.

My 66 overall dude is averaging 16 rebounds per 36. Put no VC into his rebounds, usually never do.

Even the last time I did a guard I was averaging like 8 rebounds per 36.

Had a NCAA game in 2K17 where I grabbed 15. (Y)
benji

Postby benji on Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:37 am

You don't really get more VC from playing more minutes this year, they cut that too. But it does make it easier to progress on the badges and stuff, same as when you do the practice stuff and you get rewarded for things that aren't the intention of the drill.
benji

Postby ThePointForward on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:55 am

Yup and I make lots of contested layups as well now that I have gold relentless finisher. Silver posterizer makes me almost automatic with dunks, can't imagine what HoF posterizer will look like.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Andrew on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:55 am

JWL3 wrote:
Andrew wrote:I'm still missing free throws with the Bronze Free Throw Ace Badge, so it looks like I need to keep grinding. Shame you can't practice free throws at will once you've exhausted the Badge drills.

Did 2K get rid of a rating for free throws? From my understanding, badges activate randomly and not every time. (Last year my HOF diner badge would light up on maybe 30% of my assists) if that's the case, the free throw badge boost is only for some of the free throws you take?

Only for MyPLAYERs. As Dommy73 indicated, the Badges govern the chances this year, which is an approach I'm not a fan of. It's still ridiculous that an Archetype that's intended to be a strong shooter doesn't start out with competent free throw abilities.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby JWL3 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:45 am

LOL, I just bought 6 boxes of Reese's Cereal (peanut butter and cocoa flavored cereal puffs) cause each one offered 2500 free VC for 2K18. It was on sale anyway for $2 a box and I like the cereal. But 6 boxes...

This is how desperate and sad I've become.
JWL3

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:48 am

JWL3 wrote:LOL, I just bought 6 boxes of Reese's Cereal (peanut butter and cocoa flavored cereal puffs) cause each one offered 2500 free VC for 2K18. It was on sale anyway for $2 a box and I like the cereal. But 6 boxes...

But Reeses cereal is delicious...

It's a win win.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:34 am

JWL3 wrote:LOL, I just bought 6 boxes of Reese's Cereal (peanut butter and cocoa flavored cereal puffs) cause each one offered 2500 free VC for 2K18. It was on sale anyway for $2 a box and I like the cereal. But 6 boxes...

:lol: :lol:

Next thing you know you'll be on the street corner with a sign saying "homeless need VC"
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby JWL3 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:44 am

[Q] wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Next thing you know you'll be on the street corner with a sign saying "homeless need VC"

HAHAHA. Or worse...back alley rub downs and happy endings for VC...

I think it's 30/70 between 1) I'm dang cheap and don't wanna pay for VC and 2) It's the principle of the thing and I WILL NOT reward scummy behavior on the part of 2K because otherwise, they'll make it even worse next year. But I'm clearly not above buying cereal to get ahead, haha.

If my brain functioned at all, it'd work out that 100 hrs of grinding = $50 of VC. That's a rate of 0.50/hour. Anyone with a job should take that deal.
JWL3

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:10 am

Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Next

Return to NBA 2K18