The defense is broken - VIDEO #3 WITH SLIDER TWEAKS!

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

Re: The defense is broken - NEW VIDEO WITH SLIDER TWEAKS!

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:59 am

Something I also want to point out.

I'm getting a few people telling me that I should take my concerns to JaoSming, and Leftos, etc. If you guys don't think they see this thread, you are crazy. This is still home to them, I think it always will be. You can bet they lurk and see what we are saying, and you can bet that if they believe its a valid concern that they will bring it to the attention of those who can do something about it.

They looked at the threads on 2K17 and sometimes replied, and they look at these. Just because they don't comment as often, it doesn't mean they are not still around. I don't need to PM JaoSming with a link to this thread, I can guarantee you he has seen it and watched the videos.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:03 am

I'm wondering if clipping and physics can be considered a noteworthy contributing factor here. That's one area of the game in particular where NBA 2K has surprisingly regressed the past couple of years, to the point where it sometimes feels last gen with the amount of clipping and skating, and lack of physicality and interaction outside of midair collisions. I think it's a side effect of the new motion engine and trying to eliminate the feeling of being stuck in mud with certain animations. The downside has been more clipping and skating, and less physicality.

I think part of the reason that players are able to brush off defenders so easily is because the physicality isn't there on the hip riding animations, and they're often able to clip through defenders to some extent. To that end, perhaps it's an over-correction of previous issues with brick wall defense, but it's obviously created a new problem in the process. If it is an issue with player physics, then unfortunately I'm not confident that it's something that can be effectively patched.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:06 am

Andrew wrote:I'm wondering if clipping and physics can be considered a noteworthy contributing factor here. That's one area of the game in particular where NBA 2K has surprisingly regressed the past couple of years, to the point where it sometimes feels last gen with the amount of clipping and skating, and lack of physicality and interaction outside of midair collisions. I think it's a side effect of the new motion engine and trying to eliminate the feeling of being stuck in mud with certain animations. The downside has been more clipping and skating, and less physicality.

I think part of the reason that players are able to brush off defenders so easily is because the physicality isn't there on the hip riding animations, and they're often able to clip through defenders to some extent. To that end, perhaps it's an over-correction of previous issues with brick wall defense, but it's obviously created a new problem in the process. If it is an issue with player physics, then unfortunately I'm not confident that it's something that can be effectively patched.

I'm about to post a video with Shadys sliders. The body up sensitivity is at 100, as well as a slew of other sliders. The clipping is not the problem from what I can tell, as I can run around players easily as well. It's either through, or around... with ease.

I agree with you that I don't think it can be easily patched, I think this is the way the system works. And that is sad in my opinion.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:13 am

Oh yeah, it's definitely not the only issue. I feel it probably contributes at times, as it does to several other issues (like swatting clean through the ball on steal attempts), but there's other problems afoot.

If it's a balancing issue, or something in the AI/gameplay that can be activated, we may be in luck. If it's the system/engine, it's probably going to be a "next year" matter.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:19 am

Andrew wrote:Oh yeah, it's definitely not the only issue. I feel it probably contributes at times, as it does to several other issues (like swatting clean through the ball on steal attempts), but there's other problems afoot.

If it's a balancing issue, or something in the AI/gameplay that can be activated, we may be in luck. If it's the system/engine, it's probably going to be a "next year" matter.

The hands through the ball on swats was never worse than on 2K13, oh man was it bad. You would perfectly time blocks, and get posterized. You would look at the replay and go close up, and you did get the block... only your hand went through the ball and it didn't matter.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:26 am

This is with ShadyMikes defensive sliders that he just posted. Now, I am posting this to show that I did try these sliders, and I wanted you folks to see the results. This isn't calling him out, as there was a SLIGHT improvement on interior defense, but nowhere near acceptable under any standards.

4 minute quarters, the whole game. Im using the Celtics vs the Warriors, every single shot attempt is a straight line drive (With the exception of 1 putback I attempted, woops).

Game Facts:

1. I win by 12 against the best team in the NBA in 4 minute quarters. It probably would have been an over 30 point blowout if I had played 12 minute quarters.
2. I shot 23/37 from the field, good for 63%. ALL on straight line drives to the hoop.
3. You will see me use many different Celtics on many different defenders. Watch the defense especially in the 4th quarter, where I am just running through and around Klay Thompson effortlessly to score.
4. Every single play is an iSO with the exception of one attempted putback.
5. Not one move was made, not one play was run (other than ISO), zero strategy.
6. I had 46 points in the paint. If this was 12 minute quarters, I could have had 138 points in the paint...... 138 points in the paint!!!
7. Many layups were missed right at the rim after I easily got by my guy and help didnt come. The FG% realistically should have been even higher.

This set has CPU with:

Body Up Sensitivity: 100
Driving Contact Dunk Frequency: 100
Inside Shot Contact Frequency: 100
Layup Defense Strength (Takeoff): 100
Layup Defense Strength (Release): 100
Help Defense Strength: 100
On-Ball Defense: 100
Blocking: 80
Defensive Awareness: 90
Defensive Rebounding: 80
Lateral Quickness: 70
Go for on ball steals: 100
Contest Shots: 100
Strength: 50 (User at 30)

So you guys are telling me, with these super extreme sliders... I can just run into the paint with no moves or no strategy, be on pace for about 138 pts in the paint (with 12 min quarters), and blowout the best team in the league? Do you see why I don't have any interest in this game at the moment? You cant get higher than 100 on those sliders people, thats as high as you can jack it up. So what you saw in that video might be the best you can get for defense.... thats the best you can probably do.

Shady, putting layup defense at 100 gave the Warriors a few blocks. But you know as well as I do that it's still game breaking, the fact that I can do this all game and blowout the best team in the NBA... its insane. Look at the sliders and how little they do (I want to say again, not your fault). I shot 70% in the Knicks vs Warriors game, and 63% here, all with straight line drives.

I am hoping that they do patch the game, that would be fantastic. Because anything is better than this. See how that 4th quarter went? You think I want anything to do with a game that I can just run around or through my guy and score the majority of the time? What fun is that? You want me to start a MyLeague with that ability? Do you guys want me to fake doing dribble moves for no reason just because they look cool? Want me to run plays I dont need to run? Its silly.

Do you see how the defense doesn't adjust ALL GAME. How no adjustment happens at all in the 4th quarter? This 2K is the furthest from a basketball sim on next gen, hands down.

It was stated that me playing like this is not the way they expect us to play... umm... Klay Thompson just letting me run by him with Marcus Smart whenever I want is not how I expect the GAME to play. The game needs to supply the resistance, it's not my fault that nobody can stay in front of anyone, or that help hardly ever comes. Somehow I am playing the wrong way? the game is playing the wrong way, the game allows this to happen. Have you watched my gameplay videos? I do play the right way when it's necessary, I move the ball, I post up, I set screens, etc. I don't need to do any of that in this game, I can shoot 63% on the best team in the league just running into the paint. See how crazy that was in the 4th quarter with those jacked up sliders? Do you see how boring and dull it is to know that I can literally just run into the paint on the best defenders in the league?

C'mon guys... lets be real here. It's totally broken. However, I want to give Shady props for doing his best to focus on the gameplay and find fixes, its tedious work. It's a lot of testing, a lot of playing, a lot of simulating, it's a lot of things. So, be glad we have him around.

phpBB [video]

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Re: The defense is broken - VIDEO #3 WITH SLIDER TWEAKS!

Postby Stildo33 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:40 am

I will test this out tomorrow. I have only been really "Driving" a lot with Kyrie and I kind of expected him to do that, but I know I was still getting some contact inside. He shouldn't be able to just march into the paint though. I've been running off screens, etc., but it is easier this year. I was so frustrated not being able to score off of drives, pull-ups, etc. with IT last year that I struggled to score 30/game with him....but could light it up with most others. Being 5'9" doesn't help haha.
Stildo33

Postby Stildo33 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:44 am

Well, the NBA doesn't allow hand checking anymore either.....maybe that's what 2K was going for. What frustrates me the most is the defense isn't broken when it comes to dunks. I couldn't tell you how many times Jaylen Brown has broken free and goes for layup even though his head is 9" above the rim.
Stildo33

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:04 pm

Stildo33 wrote:Well, the NBA doesn't allow hand checking anymore either.....maybe that's what 2K was going for. What frustrates me the most is the defense isn't broken when it comes to dunks. I couldn't tell you how many times Jaylen Brown has broken free and goes for layup even though his head is 9" above the rim.

That means the dunking is broken, if he's not going for dunks when he's that high above the rim.

In regards to the defense, what they were going for failed because it was taken to the extreme. Also, some of it isn't even the hip riding, it's literally just running around or passed them. Did you actually watch those 4th quarter drives? The defender isn't even sliding his feet right, h3 has a 0% chance of keeping up, literally 0%. And that's with sliders jacked up to 100. That's not fun.

The game is out of control and all over the place. It doesn't feel like basketball at all.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Stildo33 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:22 pm

Yeah I watched the 4th qtr. That looked like a college team playing a jr high team - you just bullied in or past the defense. It was even anything close to that last year. Pretty much to do a spin drive or use a screen to get that open for dunks/layups. Kinda makes me want to go back to NBA 2K17 now lol.

Do the new player slider adjustments make a difference? I forget what they are called right now...I'll check in the morning and play with those too.
Stildo33

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:36 pm

Stildo33 wrote:Yeah I watched the 4th qtr. That looked like a college team playing a jr high team - you just bullied in or past the defense. It was even anything close to that last year. Pretty much to do a spin drive or use a screen to get that open for dunks/layups. Kinda makes me want to go back to NBA 2K17 now lol.

Do the new player slider adjustments make a difference? I forget what they are called right now...I'll check in the morning and play with those too.

I've messed with them a bit, and I havn't found anything that works. Some people on here said they messed with players sliders I think.

I just think the system is broken in general.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby JWL3 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:33 pm

Dee4Three wrote:
Stildo33 wrote:Yeah I watched the 4th qtr. That looked like a college team playing a jr high team - you just bullied in or past the defense. It was even anything close to that last year. Pretty much to do a spin drive or use a screen to get that open for dunks/layups. Kinda makes me want to go back to NBA 2K17 now lol.

I've messed with them a bit, and I havn't found anything that works. Some people on here said they messed with players sliders I think.

I just think the system is broken in general.

The perfect balance would be if 2K gets rid of the hip ride blow by BUT builds in a higher probability of cpu defenders falling for dribble moves/pump fakes/triple threat jab steps and also bigger cpu defender lag. Not sure this is just a small patch issue where they change a few number settings and multipliers. The blow by should only happen if you sense the defender is out of position and turbo past him, not every single time.

I'm abusing the hip ride animation in my drills to grind for badges. Without it, there is zero chance I could level up fast enough.
JWL3

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:48 pm

But how is that fun for ANYONE?

I just don't get it. How can someone see and feel how easy it is to just run to the hoop and score, and still get enjoyment out of the game? Watching gameplay videos where I see people doing dribble moves makes me cringe, because I know they don't have to do any of it, it's just cosmetic. They can have more success just running to the hoop and hitting the shoot button.

It's the definition of game breaking to me. Where no strategy is needed, ever. I could go 82-0 and sweep the playoffs with any sliders just running to the hoop 100% of the time.

It's the equivalent of a fighting game where you can just mash one button for an attack and win, no strategy, just mash that one button and win. No dodging, no combos, nothing needed.

It's a game killer.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:03 am

So I reached out on NBA 2Ks Facebook with my videos, and these are the type of responses I get from people:

Wes says:

"People like you ruin the game. Complain too much and they will make every player seem like Dennis Rodman"

Martyn says:

"You'd get laughed off the court if u actually played against real players and not AI"

Are people really this ridiculous? Are people so stuck in their own reality that they believe these comments are relevant to this issue? I ruin the game because I point out that we can score whenever we want, with whoever we want? And, I suck at the game against humans because clearly I am trying my hardest in those videos, it's not clear that I am showing a gameplay flaw?

What the hell is wrong with people?

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:39 am

#4 patch notes :

Fixed a dribbling issue that would cause escape crosses and hesitations to sometimes face sideways.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/nba-2k/n ... 470937267/
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:45 am

I don't think that will have anything to do with a fix for this issue. But you can try it out, I'm at work at the moment so I cannot.

When I say try it out, I mean do exactly what I am doing in the videos. Don't pull back, just run forward.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:55 am

It's not released yet on PC ... and it's late on this side of the planet
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:19 am

Dee4Three wrote:So I reached out on NBA 2Ks Facebook with my videos, and these are the type of responses I get from people:

Wes says:

"People like you ruin the game. Complain too much and they will make every player seem like Dennis Rodman"

Martyn says:

"You'd get laughed off the court if u actually played against real players and not AI"

Are people really this ridiculous? Are people so stuck in their own reality that they believe these comments are relevant to this issue? I ruin the game because I point out that we can score whenever we want, with whoever we want? And, I suck at the game against humans because clearly I am trying my hardest in those videos, it's not clear that I am showing a gameplay flaw?

Apologists and snobby online gamers who think they're better than offline gamers. Among the worst members of any gaming community, in my view. It's like I said in a recent Monday Tip-Off article. A lot of people take the position that "not my problem, not a real problem". Ironically, the same people will whine that people don't share their complaints. We human beings are a funny lot, sometimes.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:45 am

Andrew wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:So I reached out on NBA 2Ks Facebook with my videos, and these are the type of responses I get from people:

Wes says:

Martyn says:

Apologists and snobby online gamers who think they're better than offline gamers. Among the worst members of any gaming community, in my view. It's like I said in a recent Monday Tip-Off article. A lot of people take the position that "not my problem, not a real problem". Ironically, the same people will whine that people don't share their complaints. We human beings are a funny lot, sometimes.

Spot on.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby fjccommish on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:47 pm

2k17 had the same problem. I stopped playing it after a couple of weeks, because I finally noticed the problem. Now 18 has the same problem. It's unplayable.
fjccommish

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:53 pm

fjccommish wrote:2k17 had the same problem. I stopped playing it after a couple of weeks, because I finally noticed the problem. Now 18 has the same problem. It's unplayable.

2k17 did not have that same problem. You could not just run by your guy in the halfcourt, you had to put together moves, set screens, or time your first step right to get by your guy. 2K18 is literally an iso 100% of the time, to the hoop 100% of the time.

I know you were a "professional gamer", but I put thousands of hours into 2K17, and have put a lot of hours into 2K18, I am very aware of the differences. 2K17 had issues with transition defense, backdoor cuts, and excessive bumping. Not only does 2K18 have the same issue with transition defense, it has 100% drive by potential in the half court.

2K17 had its fair share of issues (Mostly post patches) However, I prefer 2K17 because in the half court it does take strategy most of the time to score, whether it be running plays or putting together dribble combinations.

The issue is not the same, and anybody who has played both games a good length of time knows that. So, I suggest you put more time into the games before making a statement about them.

And by the way, being a former "professional gamer" means absolutely nothing in this thread. Especially because it sounds like your time spent with the games is less than anybody else commenting.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Barkley_Sixers on Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:39 pm

I tested the patch on PS4. Perimeter defense is easy as always, but now the help comes much more frequently. At least It's a bit playable now, because It's not a guaranteed bucket when I go ISO. Sometimes my shot gets blocked, sometimes they double while closing out my passing lanes, which cause some turnovers. And sometimes I miss the open 3 after the help comes. It's still annoying the fact that dribble moves are still useless, but at least it kinda resembles a game of basketball now. I still hope they fix the perimeter defense on the next patch tho
Barkley_Sixers

Postby sticky-fingers on Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:09 pm

fjccommish wrote:2k17 had the same problem. I stopped playing it after a couple of weeks, because I finally noticed the problem. Now 18 has the same problem. It's unplayable.

you should stop playing 2K on oscilloscope :cheeky:
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:38 am

Barkley_Sixers wrote:I tested the patch on PS4. Perimeter defense is easy as always, but now the help comes much more frequently. At least It's a bit playable now, because It's not a guaranteed bucket when I go ISO. Sometimes my shot gets blocked, sometimes they double while closing out my passing lanes, which cause some turnovers. And sometimes I miss the open 3 after the help comes. It's still annoying the fact that dribble moves are still useless, but at least it kinda resembles a game of basketball now. I still hope they fix the perimeter defense on the next patch tho

Thanks for the update.

However, I have heard of and tried the defensive sliders that are ramped up to 100 almost all across the board for the CPU, and was even told I would get swatted into the 3rd row with a set of sliders, meanwhile I go into the game and just run by my guy and blowout the best team in the league, I am not optimistic. However, as with the other slider sets, I will try the game post patch. One thing you guys can't accuse me of, is not trying.

Also, the fact that the perimeter defense is still as easy as ever, is still a gamebreaker. Once again, literally voiding out any use of any dribble moves or strategy, you can just run to the hoop. I do not approve one bit of the direction 2K is going with this new motion system, but hope they can make adjustments to it in future 2K's. My disagreement does nothing though, because who am I? I'm just a dedicated NLSC dude. When the issues are brought forward, they get met with anger, disbelief, accusations, denial, etc. But, I will say again... you cannot dispute what is right in front of you on unedited video, which is what I posted.... that cannot be disputed.

Again though, I appreciate the update.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:04 am

Well, i tweak and tweak and tweak ... again and over again the sliders

I tried to slow more User settings.
it worked ... few games (3/14 for Ntilikina on Curry with Dee technique).
I quit the game, came back, touch nothing, and then it was easy as Dee's videos.
At this point, (15/15 for player speed/acceleration), I also noticed strange behaviour with fast players. When i use Kyrie, he's slow, but his dribble is too fast.

So, i tweak and tweak and tweak ... again and over again but the opposite :mrgreen:
and .... there's very strange behaviour with the new options at the bottom of the sliders screens.
all new sliders settings to 100 on USER side, no modification on CPU side. Then, my players are ultra fast (like expected) but also CPU players are fasters ?! modifying USER side alter CPU side ?! :crazyeyes:
Finally, i notice that "classic" settings Speed and Acceleration seem to have no impact.
sticky-fingers

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K18