The defense is broken - VIDEO #3 WITH SLIDER TWEAKS!

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

Re: The defense is broken - VIDEO #3 WITH SLIDER TWEAKS!

Postby fjccommish on Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:48 pm

"Man, now, defense is HARD here in MyLeague..."

No, it's just that you aren't taking advantage of the fatal flaw.

All these settings you mention don't change the basic problem with defense. Anyone, any player, can get to the basket every time.
fjccommish

Postby Daex on Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:17 am

Dee4Three wrote:...
the defense in this game is absolutely horrible

Hi Dee. Some people are reporting "blow by" animation to be greatly improved with patch 7. I couldn't confirm for myself because it's not on PC yet, but I thought you'd like to know.
Daex

Postby sticky-fingers on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:22 pm

and the problem remains
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:08 am

sticky-fingers wrote:and the problem remains

I havnt had a chance to test it, but I figured they were not going to fix that this year.

They are busy boasting good review scores.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Uncle Drew on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:44 am

Dee4Three wrote:

I havnt had a chance to test it, but I figured they were not going to fix that this year.

Really ?? All the reviews I've read weren't saying they knocked it out of the park with 18. In fact, one review says they've taken a step back, and are allowing NBA Live to close the gap.
Uncle Drew

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:16 am

Uncle Drew wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:

Really ?? All the reviews I've read weren't saying they knocked it out of the park with 18. In fact, one review says they've taken a step back, and are allowing NBA Live to close the gap.

Have you gone on metacritic? The average reviewer score is 8.0, the average user score is 1.6.

Do you follow them on Facebook? In light of almost every single comment (thousands) of people being pissed about the game, it's a constant barrage of "look how great we are" posts and constant posts about reviews they have gotten (blah blah rated 2K18 a 9 out of 10, the most realistic basketball experience to date blah blah).

It's the ultimate slap in the face to those users who rate this game under a 2, the people by the thousands that rip the game for bad layup mechanics, the VC grab, and other gameplay issues.

I have not read one "professional review" that actually calls the game out for its real flaws. I've seen VC talked about, but it's a quick brush by. I have read nothing about the skating of the players, the dead atmosphere and poor unrealistic lighting, seen nothing really in those reviews about the poor layup mechanics, nor the worst 1 on 1 defense in 2K history.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:12 am

I've seen some reviews that acknowledge gameplay issues, but most of them - especially the ones that have awarded scores of 8s and 9s - tend to read more like promotional breakdowns of all the features, rather than truly reviewing the product and properly identifying the good and the bad. A lot of problems are skimmed over, or not even mentioned. As Dee said, those are the reviews that the social media accounts are happily touting.

Fair enough, of course. No one is going to promote or celebrate a bad review, after all. But given the backlash and general sense of dissatisfaction, it comes across as tone-deaf at best, smug at worst.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
45? That's a bad luck number!
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:54 am

Yeah, most of reviews look like a promotional article.
2K18 dont deserve a score of 8 or 9, but neither 1.6
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:16 am

Well, Game Informer have named it as Sports Game of the Year for the second year running. I guess it speaks to the lack of options in that regard, but still.

As for the 1.6 scores, I'd agree that maybe they're a bit too harsh overall, and I'd probably rate the game higher (indeed I did, in the topic asking how we'd all rate NBA 2K18). At the same time though, for anyone who feels the experience has been completely ruined by a combination of the flaws, grinding, and VC gouging...well, a really low score is a fair call. Too often we rely on a four or five point scale to numerically rate video games, and if you utterly hate a game, it seems silly to still rate it a 5 or 6.
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:43 pm

About rating, why no more reviews on NLSC ? :oops:
The last 2K review is for 2K13.
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:52 pm

Since I started co-hosting the NLSC Podcast, I've usually given my initial review and ongoing thoughts about the latest releases there, in audio format. I've intended to do some written reviews again the past couple of years, but they've been pushed back with the other content I do, and it ends up being too late.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:16 am

sticky-fingers wrote:About rating, why no more reviews on NLSC ? :oops:
The last 2K review is for 2K13.

I actually entertained doing in depth video reviews for my youtube channel. 2017 was a nightmare of sorts for me, so it fell off. I may start them when 2K19 and Live 19 are released.

Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:54 am

I'm sorry Andrew, i don't use to listen podcast (here and everywhere) :oops:
I'll check your channel Dee.

In fact, a review of theses 2 games is an annual work in background.
There's the release, the biggest part of the work, the first impressions, the comparison between the game and editor's promises.
After the releases, there's also the patches ; 2K showed us they could break a game few weeks after a good release (2K16/2K17).
At this point on 2K18, 2K broke nothing since the release, but they also simply ignore the subject of this thread and the problem of 1on1 on ball defense.
sticky-fingers

Previous

Return to NBA 2K18