Official NBA 2K18 Impressions Topic

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

Official NBA 2K18 Impressions Topic

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:33 am

Reiterating what I said in the NBA Live 18 section once again, we do have a whole section to talk about NBA 2K18, so there's no need to keep all the conversation in this topic. However, it seems to help to have a central topic for quick impressions and random discussion based on them, so if you're looking for that topic, this is it!
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
45? That's a bad luck number!
Administrator

Re: Official NBA 2K18 Impressions Topic

Postby The X on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:11 am

Check my Twitter @AndrewTheX for a few early impressions.

Unfortunately I have to go to work so can't play again for 12 hours. Keen to hear everybody's opinion as to whether gameplay is as smooth in 5v5 as 2KU.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Sportsdude360 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:57 am

I will be playing tonight at 11:00 pm when the game becomes available on my PS4. I'll post my impressions after I've played a few games.
Sportsdude360

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:03 am

Well, first impressions on the gameplay after few quick games (i dont give a shit about MyCarreer/Park) : a slightly better 2K17
BUT
GPU optimization is even more awful than last year :turrible:
sticky-fingers

Postby hedop on Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:21 am

Feels incredibly sluggish, you can barely get past anyone, the CPU clogs the lanes and the paint even on All-Star like hell even when you bombard them with 3s. Defensively it's pretty hard in my eyes. It's very tough to stick with anyone, even slow players can blow by you and you don't seem to "stick" anymore.
hedop

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:15 am

Anybody else feel like the passing is delayed?
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:20 am

after tweaking my VideoSettings.cfg, nope :wink:
sticky-fingers

Postby Hadley88 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:38 am

Performance is definitely a littel better than last Year but I still can't get the rocksolid 144FPS during Gameplay. Its mostly 90-130 which is better but not perfect.
Hadley88

Postby bomba90 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:51 am

I play on PS4Pro, Superstar level.

PRO:
IMO much better gameplay than last year: open shots are easier and contested lay ups and contested shots from the paint are much harder.
I like the way it looks better than last year.

CONS:
I don't like the shot meter, both it's place and the fact that at times you don't know if you release too early or too late.
The game is very sluggish, very poor hardware optimization, every aspect of the game seems a little bit delayed.
bomba90

Postby parginos on Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:06 am

sticky-fingers wrote:after tweaking my VideoSettings.cfg, nope :wink:

Can you share your tweaks?
Thank you
parginos

Postby buzzy on Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:08 am

I like this game. Biggest thing for me from 2k17 were AI lapses on the defensive end, as well as off-ball movement on offense. Both of these things have been improved vastly, even though you still get some over-rotating here and there. But I'm not even complaining.

The game feels smooth. Nice animations around the basket, nice dribbling animations. Although chaining dribbling moves together and gaining a step on my opponent seems almost impossible. Every time I do what I believe to be a nice crossover, the instant I should blow by my defender my player gets stuck and the defender recovers. It's the transition between crossovers and a burst towards the hoop that needs work.

Shooting is difficult. The meter is fast and small. The penalty for the shot button seems even bigger. I'll try to turn off the shot meter and just go by the jumpshot animation instead of relying on my eyes to find a tiny bar. We'll see.
Layups are also missed aplenty. I think I've read in somewhere that layups are still timing based, which definitely is a weird decision if the player gets zero feedback or indication on when to release a layup.

Sweat seems to only really appear in the 4th quarter.

The one full game I've played (12 minute Q's), the CPU has not taken a timeout in the first 3 quarters. Needs more testing if that's a real issue.

As much as I appreciate Kobe and KG making an appearance in the game, with them in the booth it takes away from the atmosphere/immersion.
It sounds like a sit down interview between Harlan and Kobe for 90% of the game. The other two commentators have maybe gotten one sentence in during the game I played.
Could get annoying.

Thank fuck the assistant coach is gone!
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member

Postby bomba90 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:28 am

buzzy wrote:Layups are also missed aplenty. I think I've read in somewhere that layups are still timing based, which definitely is a weird decision if the player gets zero feedback or indication on when to release a layup.

I only saw the meter once, I went for a lay up with Chris Paul, the rest of the time, it does not show, and yes, by the it behaves, it must be timing based.
bomba90

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:33 am

parginos wrote:
sticky-fingers wrote:after tweaking my VideoSettings.cfg, nope :wink:

Can you share your tweaks?
Thank you

Ok, so i opened a thread ;)
sticky-fingers

Postby hedop on Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:26 am

VC is worse than ever. Seriously like 5 hairstyles and no facial hair and 4 hair colours? That's what you get without spending VC? They also removed sculpting for creating your own player? This is ridiculous.
hedop

Postby Lamrock on Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:40 am

Well, it's certainly 2K. Here's my rambling first impressions.

I love the honeymoon period with sports video games. Unless the game's a total dud, it's always fun to enjoy the newness of everything. I'm not sick of the soundtrack (which is pretty good) yet, enjoying the new menus/presentation, still discovering small improvements, and can dismiss frustrating moments as me being new to the game.

Gameplay is fine. Seems a little sluggish at times, but it's fun. Don't really like the new shot meter, but changing it to black made it a lot more visible. Graphics are better, or at least they're noticeably more vibrant. Menus are a lot more aesthetically pleasing than the drab grey ones in 2K17.

LOL at Schroder and Dedmon being Atlanta's two best rated players. Gonna be weird when they somehow sneak into the playoffs again.

Waiting on draft classes/patches/sliders to do a proper myLeague, so I've spent a lot of time in myGM. I like the approach they went with, adding a storyline and having there be more conflicts to resolve. It certainly won't win any myLeague players over, but at least there's a reason to play it now. Solid veterans can still be signed for next to nothing, which is a drag, and you STILL can't trade injured players, but oh well.

myCareer is an anarcho-capitalist nightmare in which having to spend VC on haircuts is somehow a feature they advertised. The whole neighborhood idea seemed cool, but in practice just putting on a T-Shirt is now a five minute ordeal. Product placement is absolutely nuts - ads have been all over the game for years, but holy shit. With the "Road to 99", they are at least transparent about the mode being a grind-fest. Don't miss Justice at all, but I'll be pissed if Shammy Wells suddenly becomes a 97 overall.

As cynical as the developers are, the mode is addictive in spite of its faults. Leveling up is certainly satisfying and evokes feelings similar to real-life success. When the singularity comes, we'll all be thankful for the road to 99. Everybody shits on the story, but I don't hate it. Really glad they gave me the option to change my character's name so I could change it to D.J. Obviously a customizable myLeague-style career mode with no story or VC would be great, but until the NBA Live stops being the Bruno Caboclo of game franchises, they'll never do it.

myTeam is just MUT for 2K. Yawn.

So yeah I'd give it like an 8 out of 10 so far.
Lamrock

Postby Jackal on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:15 am

I've read a few of you guys mention what I completely agree with so far. It feels sluggish.

Also despite having him on their Legend edition covers, they still didn't get Shaq right imo.

Shaq was a behemoth. This dude looks like a milk-dud next to some generic Kendrick Perkins looking player called Mutombo.

Also, since I didn't know where to ask this...how the heck do I assign a created player to a teams roster? :?
Jackal

Postby timmyd on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:24 am

Damn, Shaq look's terrible. I was hoping to wreck havoc with him in the paint. That body doesn't seem like it can move people around or bully other big men. Wasn't that one of the selling points in the gameplay this year? Size and strength is actually felt this year? Well, maybe it's the ratings that do the trick not the actual body haha...

Big shout out to Big Perk "make em hurt"
Willing to help complete rosters for season/my league use.

#GoSpursGo
timmyd

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:33 am

Is Perkins face in the game?
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jackal on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:47 am

timmyd wrote:That body doesn't seem like it can move people around or bully other big men.

That's the weird thing though, he does "play as Shaq". At least he did against the Sixers, I was able to drop 30 points, 20 boards & 3 assists with him while Iverson just went nuts on the other side. Kobe chipped in with 22 points on like 40% shooting. Shaq just looks weird. Matt Geiger looks like he could Stone Cold Steve Austin him easily.

Also, Lamrock thanks for the suggestion. Changing the shot-meter to black helps immensely. I wish they'd give an option of the old shot-meter and the new version. I'm using broadcast camera angle and found the "regular" shot-meter to be just fine. I barely see this little thing.

Dee4Three wrote:Is Perkins face in the game?

Probably not. Was the same thing that happened with Nash from what I read. One year after retiring they are in that same retired players group so the likeness can be used. After that they have to make deals with the players themselves or something.
Jackal

Postby Hadley88 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:58 am

So I played a little bit of MyPlayer and I can't say I like it.

- This whole Open World Bullshit is pretty stupid. My Appartment is 2m away from my Agent and 5m away from the Trainingarea?
- The Microtransactions are as bad as last Year if not even worse. Its really no fun without spending VC. When I look at YouTube and see guys spending 200k VC to get 85 before their first NBA Game... seriously? I'll pass.
- I played like 5 NBA Games or so and there is very little Story. And who the fuck is that weird Asian Dude?
- Character-Customization is very dumbed down. No Idea why. You are basically locked into your Preset.
- My fucking 7'3/320pound Center looks extremly small and skinny in Cutscenes.
- The Bodymeshes this Year look really weird on some Players.

I doubt I will play much more of that. So lets hope MyLeague has a better Trade-AI.
Hadley88

Postby StyxTx on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:08 am

Over on Steam, 2/3 of the reviews are quite scathing. Sounds to me like most of the stuff I couldn't stand are still there.
StyxTx

Postby Sportsdude360 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:34 pm

I've created a custom MYLeague with the All-Time teams! Been having a blast! The All-Time teams are the greatest addition that 2K has ever come up with! I've been playing a lot with the All-Time Houston Rockets. Having Hakeem Olajuwan, Ralph Sampson and Yao Ming all on the floor at the same time is jaw-dropping! And having Larry Bird and Kevin McHale join forces with Bob Cousey and Bill Russell with Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen thrown in for extra measure! The fun never stops!
Sportsdude360

Postby m29a on Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:42 pm

StyxTx wrote:Over on Steam, 2/3 of the reviews are quite scathing. Sounds to me like most of the stuff I couldn't stand are still there.

Steam (also some PC gamers in general) can be super critical, even when it's unwarranted. NBA 2K on PC has always been review bombed for lame reasons like "story mode sucked, thumbs down" "ai makes every basket, this sucks" etc, you get the idea. There is the rare in-depth review that does outline the flaws, but it's mostly just a bunch of bs to go through. I don't think it's fair to the developers.

If they ever stop making 2K for the PC in the future, I'd blame ungrateful people like them who expect perfection (and of course lack of sales which could play a factor). I just don't want to have to buy a console to play 2K.

We all know the online isn't the best for PC, yes, but as an offline experience against the AI, it truly is amazing. No the game isn't perfect, but each year does make some decent strides in gameplay.
m29a

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:57 pm

Jackal wrote:Probably not. Was the same thing that happened with Nash from what I read. One year after retiring they are in that same retired players group so the likeness can be used. After that they have to make deals with the players themselves or something.

Byron Russell is back with the Jazz
sticky-fingers

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:49 pm

m29a wrote:
StyxTx wrote:Over on Steam, 2/3 of the reviews are quite scathing. Sounds to me like most of the stuff I couldn't stand are still there.

Steam (also some PC gamers in general) can be super critical, even when it's unwarranted. NBA 2K on PC has always been review bombed for lame reasons like "story mode sucked, thumbs down" "ai makes every basket, this sucks" etc, you get the idea. There is the rare in-depth review that does outline the flaws, but it's mostly just a bunch of bs to go through. I don't think it's fair to the developers.

If they ever stop making 2K for the PC in the future, I'd blame ungrateful people like them who expect perfection (and of course lack of sales which could play a factor). I just don't want to have to buy a console to play 2K.

We all know the online isn't the best for PC, yes, but as an offline experience against the AI, it truly is amazing. No the game isn't perfect, but each year does make some decent strides in gameplay.

PC-specific issues don't help matters, but yeah, there are some very glib reviews that downvote the game due to a lone complaint.
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
Administrator

Postby EMan on Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:17 pm

m29a wrote:Steam (also some PC gamers in general) can be super critical, even when it's unwarranted.

1. Hair (and facial hair) are RENTED in this game. You pay to unlock a haircut, equip it, and it immediately re-locks so if you want to change it in any way you gotta buy it again. (All of the facial hair/beards look like pubes right now, probably will get patched eventually.)
2. Connection issues abound. This will eventually get better once enough players get bored of this game and move on.
3. MyPlayer archetypes require certain very specific attribute/skill ratings to unlock moves, shots, dribbles, etc... The problem? You cannot see any of your ratings at all so you have to blindly spend points. Height plays a factor too, moreso than previous editions. You make your character one inch too tall or too short and you've locked yourself out of certain skills needed for certain archetypes.
4. More of the usual, VC randomly vanishes, MyPlayer randomly vanishes, etc...
5. Playing on higher difficulties doesn't get as much VC as it used to. You could win an NBA championship on the highest difficulty and only make enough VC to change your hair once or twice.
6. Face sculpting was locked out of creation everywhere except MyLeague rookies.
7. No previewing of hair, clothes, animations, etc... on your character before you equip them. You don't like something you added? You have to pay VC to change it to something else.
8. (This one is an opinion) I'm not enjoying the MyCareer story so far. Pretty cheesy and the cutscenes are all unskippable, even if you've seen them already.

My list could go on, but it seems to me that there are more than a few legitimate gripes here. It's silly to think that just because a game gets 'Mostly' or 'Overwhelmingly' negative on Steam that that is a direct result of "ungrateful people who expect perfection". The reality is that the game itself has some serious flaws and without people pointing them out on Steam reviews, other people will get burned when they spend their money on that particular game and end up hating it. There is no such thing as perfection and nobody in their right mind should ever expect it, but is it asking too much that when we pay $60 (or more) for a game that it NOT continually rape our wallets afterwards just because the publisher feels like all those pre-orders weren't enough money?

Take Two clearly based this years game entirely around VC and game play was a fleeting afterthought. Yes, some of the bugs will eventually get fixed, but a lot of these bugs are bugs we've seen before NUMEROUS times. The negative feedback on this game is not about expecting perfection, it's people wanting a stable game with decent game play that they can take offline or online whenever they want to and be able to play with friends or random people (and in most cases, be competitive). That is what this game should be about, NOT the microtransactions that the Take Two higher ups froth at the mouth over daily and nightly.

If anyone here thinks there won't be really annoying microtransactions in Red Dead Redemption 2 (and every Take Two/2K title from now on), you're kidding yourselves.
EMan

Postby maumau78 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:43 pm

Dee4Three wrote:Anybody else feel like the passing is delayed?

Me

also I don't feel like I have eought "weight" on my players......for me 2k17 (release day .exe) feels much better.....
...but I've spend like 1h with the game so I need to play more...
"I open at the close"

Dumbledore
maumau78
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:55 pm

EMan wrote:
m29a wrote:Steam (also some PC gamers in general) can be super critical, even when it's unwarranted.

1. Hair (and facial hair) are RENTED in this game. You pay to unlock a haircut, equip it, and it immediately re-locks so if you want to change it in any way you gotta buy it again. (All of the facial hair/beards look like pubes right now, probably will get patched eventually.)
2. Connection issues abound. This will eventually get better once enough players get bored of this game and move on.
3. MyPlayer archetypes require certain very specific attribute/skill ratings to unlock moves, shots, dribbles, etc... The problem? You cannot see any of your ratings at all so you have to blindly spend points. Height plays a factor too, moreso than previous editions. You make your character one inch too tall or too short and you've locked yourself out of certain skills needed for certain archetypes.
5. Playing on higher difficulties doesn't get as much VC as it used to. You could win an NBA championship on the highest difficulty and only make enough VC to change your hair once or twice.
6. Face sculpting was locked out of creation everywhere except MyLeague rookies.
7. No previewing of hair, clothes, animations, etc... on your character before you equip them. You don't like something you added? You have to pay VC to change it to something else.
8. (This one is an opinion) I'm not enjoying the MyCareer story so far. Pretty cheesy and the cutscenes are all unskippable, even if you've seen them already.

My list could go on, but it seems to me that there are more than a few legitimate gripes here. It's silly to think that just because a game gets 'Mostly' or 'Overwhelmingly' negative on Steam that that is a direct result of "ungrateful people who expect perfection". The reality is that the game itself has some serious flaws and without people pointing them out on Steam reviews, other people will get burned when they spend their money on that particular game and end up hating it. There is no such thing as perfection and nobody in their right mind should ever expect it, but is it asking too much that when we pay $60 (or more) for a game that it NOT continually rape our wallets afterwards just because the publisher feels like all those pre-orders weren't enough money?

Take Two clearly based this years game entirely around VC and game play was a fleeting afterthought. Yes, some of the bugs will eventually get fixed, but a lot of these bugs are bugs we've seen before NUMEROUS times. The negative feedback on this game is not about expecting perfection, it's people wanting a stable game with decent game play that they can take offline or online whenever they want to and be able to play with friends or random people (and in most cases, be competitive). That is what this game should be about, NOT the microtransactions that the Take Two higher ups froth at the mouth over daily and nightly.

If anyone here thinks there won't be really annoying microtransactions in Red Dead Redemption 2 (and every Take Two/2K title from now on), you're kidding yourselves.

There are definitely legitimate gripes, and you've outlined them very well there. I absolutely agree that they've gone overboard with VC and it's pretty disgusting. However, a lot of user reviews on Steam could stand to be more detailed, and actually point out the issues as you've done.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:11 pm

At this point, i must admit i appreciate this release
the few games i did were pretty good.
Gameplay is an evolution of 2K17, in better way. Rebounds, passing, first step, lot of improvments.

As I dont care about mode using VC, i don't have to complain (yet ?).
sticky-fingers

Postby Dwell On on Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:25 pm

One Name: Jonathon Simmons

Since 3 years, 2k is not able to scan Simmons face and body. He looks like the worst rookie the CPU do create before a season.
Dwell On

Postby Dommy73 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:39 am

All right, let's see.

Gameplay has definitely improved. You can now get by defender if you're fast enough. You can also fail miserably. What also seems to be improved is ball security - I do not see all those randomly lost balls due to a weird contact.
That said, players still can't catch the bloody ball. It's the first thing people are taught - how to hold and catch the ball.
Fouls aren't being called too well. Had a sequence where I've got no call on three shot attempts even though defenders' arms clearly clipped through the shooter's arms.
Some of the legacy issues persist as well.
And for all of you yelling "2K cheats" I just managed to one up all of you. Close game against Wizards, Wall gets a good screen, gets the ball from inbound, pulls up an scores a 3pt shot. The problem is that he was about a meter and half inside the 3pt line. He wasn't anywhere near. In the end it didn't change the result, but what the hell? That literally is cheating.
Oh and commentators are still high. I've had sequence where they announced that some player will shoot free throw after a fould on 3pt made shot. There was no foul. The game just continued.
Other than that they generally have issues with screens. They say on many occasions that the shooter got freed up by a screen even though the screen was on the other side and didn't work one bit. But those are legacy issues.

Presentation - They made some stuff faster (I no longer see those long waiting times before inbounding waiting for nothing). There are still many unskippable or have to wait 10 seconds to skip scenes.

Speaking of waiting, I counted it and because of immersion during MyCareer free throw drill I had to wait 21 seconds between two shots. The only two balls bounced off the rim (good releases BTW, it's a game of chance, but a "good" release was triggering "too short" animation while "slightly early" went in most of the time) and fucked off somewhere and the assistants just went after them. And I started counting and it really took them 21 seconds to get me a ball. That is unacceptable in a real practice, let alone a game.

CaP - I never got any satisfactory results with face scanning, so I'm happy with the CaP system. I can finally look like a human. They removed the sculpting but it seems the choices for stuff like eyes, brow, nose, ears, etc are bunch of presets for various sculpting configurations. I know this might seem like an unpopular opinion, but I consider this a major improvement.

MyGM - meh. Story cutscenes look like a cheap flash game where you get text and repeating animation. Other than that I haven't got far enough in the story yet to have any impressions.

MyLeague - I tried to create league with fantasy draft with all the teams (current, historic and all-time). It's buggy. Players are missing, seems somewhat random. Maybe player pool is too big for the game to handle.

MyCareer - what in the bloody hell.
The "open world" aspect is the overstatement of the decade. I understand, it's a buzzword, but that is not an open world game.
The story is absolutely terrible. I'll ignore the "streetballer to NBA in three matches", because that is not even remotely the worst thing about it. Honestly, I think that Ronnie2K played major part in writing the story.
Just the characters. Last year we had pro actor, Michael B. Jordan. And while some of the conversations were kinda weird, he played the role well and was really a professional. This year we got that asian girl (using race as an identifier because I can't honestly remember the name). It's terrible. I have no idea what it's supposed to be. If it's supposed to be a joke on stereotypes it's even worse. Tropic Thunder did it right when they were making fun of Hollywood "whitewashing" by casting Robert Downey Jr. and making him black. NBA 2K18 doesn't do it remotely right.
Then we get the "vet" Wells. I don't know about your games, but in mine he's a ball hog and passing him the ball is just another button to shoot (without the bad shot selection consequences). Again, is that supposed to be a joke on stereotypes? Because to me he seems absolutely unstable.
And supporting characters - the head of security "Boo Boo". Who the hell came up with that? Not only that, but in the beginning he treats you like trash. Your starting contract is over $1M. Who in their right mind gives attitude to a pro athlete from a position of support staff?

Now there are plenty of bad design choices... Actually too many of them for it to be coincidence, so I'll call them what they really are: anti-consumer design choices.
We can't see our attribute caps when creating a character and we can't see the improvements when buying the bloody upgrades. That way I found out that after spending 1K of VC on some speed upgrade, I improved my speed by exactly 0.
Huge amount of product placement. Honestly this is over the top, they are now advertising headphones. Crappy headphones at that. Is 2K getting extra money out of this? Damn, even Netflix has a warning for product placement.
Now the kicker - the amount of VC you have seems to be well hidden. It's not shown anymore on top of the screen, it's only on specific screens. In MyGM the only way I could find out how much I have is by going to the menu that allows you to buy next level. In MyCareer it's slightly faster to get to know how much you have, but still kinda hidden.
And there are reports that difficulty multipliers might be gone and that not all VC gained is actually saved resulting in a loss for no reason. The agent giving you the option to donate the VC from promo deal to charity is just an insult at this point.
i7-6800K, 16GB @ 2400MHz CL14, 980 Ti Classy
Fedora 26 for everything meaningful, Windows 10 for games and video entertainment

ImageImageImage
Dommy73
Making 2K16 newbs quit like Curry in the Finals

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:43 am

maumau78 wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:Anybody else feel like the passing is delayed?

Me

also I don't feel like I have eought "weight" on my players......for me 2k17 (release day .exe) feels much better.....
...but I've spend like 1h with the game so I need to play more...

This.

I am enjoying 2K17 release day .exe much more, because it feels more like real basketball and the players feel right. In NBA 2K18, players feel like they are skating, and everybody moves around the court like guards speed wise. Seeing Lenny Wilkins fire off quick dribble moves like he is Allen Iverson looks so odd...

Using Sprewell and Ray Allen feels exactly the same outside of shooting form. They move around the court at the same speed, they dribble the same, etc. Things feel out of control and unrealistic.

2K17 gameplay pre patches is a better experience. For the reasons above, 2K18 feels like it has a arcade nature to it that disregards most of what a player is really like. Using Westbrook on 2K17 is an advantage because you know you can utilize his speed and quickness, it is elite compared to others... in 2K18 he feels like just another player, everybody is blending in.

While sometimes the dribbling feels good, it's so fast sometimes it looks straight up silly. Some of the new size ups are literally impossible in real life.

Put those things together with the game being so dark, and not alive, I'm actually pretty dissapointed in 2K18.

Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:56 am

Oh, and I saw some people say it feels impossible to get by the CPU... not trying to be a jerk, but you have to be kidding me...

I literally feel like I can blow by the CPU on HOF on every single posession, it's really easy in this game. Using regular teams, classic teams, doesn't matter. Getting a first step has never been easier (even easier than 2K13). The team defense has improved, but the individual one on one defense is not good this year.

Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:47 am

My initial impressions are that NBA gameplay - and I'm including MyTEAM here as well - feels great. Gameplay in MyCAREER and the connected experiences on the other hand feels clunky and awkward, and is plagued by design choices that are very questionable to say the least.

Dommy73 wrote:Speaking of waiting, I counted it and because of immersion during MyCareer free throw drill I had to wait 21 seconds between two shots. The only two balls bounced off the rim (good releases BTW, it's a game of chance, but a "good" release was triggering "too short" animation while "slightly early" went in most of the time) and fucked off somewhere and the assistants just went after them. And I started counting and it really took them 21 seconds to get me a ball. That is unacceptable in a real practice, let alone a game.

Dommy73 wrote:MyCareer - what in the bloody hell.
The "open world" aspect is the overstatement of the decade. I understand, it's a buzzword, but that is not an open world game.
The story is absolutely terrible. I'll ignore the "streetballer to NBA in three matches", because that is not even remotely the worst thing about it. Honestly, I think that Ronnie2K played major part in writing the story.
Just the characters. Last year we had pro actor, Michael B. Jordan. And while some of the conversations were kinda weird, he played the role well and was really a professional. This year we got that asian girl (using race as an identifier because I can't honestly remember the name). It's terrible. I have no idea what it's supposed to be. If it's supposed to be a joke on stereotypes it's even worse. Tropic Thunder did it right when they were making fun of Hollywood "whitewashing" by casting Robert Downey Jr. and making him black. NBA 2K18 doesn't do it remotely right.
Then we get the "vet" Wells. I don't know about your games, but in mine he's a ball hog and passing him the ball is just another button to shoot (without the bad shot selection consequences). Again, is that supposed to be a joke on stereotypes? Because to me he seems absolutely unstable.
And supporting characters - the head of security "Boo Boo". Who the hell came up with that? Not only that, but in the beginning he treats you like trash. Your starting contract is over $1M. Who in their right mind gives attitude to a pro athlete from a position of support staff?

I couldn't agree more with this. I co-sign every single critique here.

The decision to take away free throw ratings for your MyPLAYER and make it Badge related is terrible. Absolutely terrible. It's ridiculous that my Sharpshooting Playmaker shoots worse than Shaq from the free throw line; the only way around that is to slowly grind up a Badge with a mechanic that seems broken, because Good releases seem to miss more often than not. An absolutely horrible change there. I've also run into the same delay issue. I know 2K wants the "realism" of having people chase down loose balls and whatnot, but there are times when it's acceptable to break from reality. There have been a lot of jokes about that kind of stuff over the years and the developers themselves have had the grace and good humour to take them in stride. Unfortunately, they haven't taken the criticism on board and changed it.

The story is complete and utter garbage. I know I've criticised the story-driven approach before, but even "Livin' Da Dream" wasn't as bad as this. The plot, the characters, and the acting are all awful. Bad fan-fiction awful. Shammy Wells is no Justice Young. There is definitely something uncomfortable about the friend character. It may sound over-sensitive or too politically correct to call it racist, but I agree that there's something really uncomfortable with her characterisation. All the characters are bad, but there's something really off about what they've done there. It's annoyingly and intrusively bad.

The Neighborhood is a cool concept in theory, and if I were younger and really into it, I'd probably enjoy it. As it stands, in practice I find it cumbersome. Now in addition to waiting for things to load, I also have to run up and down the street to find them first. More time spent to get to play the modes I want. There's no fast travel, no menu shortcuts for gamers who don't want to bother with it. There isn't even a map to help with navigation! I'm sure it's going to be well-received by a majority of the fanbase, but I personally find it to be somewhat of an alienating premise.

Dommy73 wrote:Now there are plenty of bad design choices... Actually too many of them for it to be coincidence, so I'll call them what they really are: anti-consumer design choices.
We can't see our attribute caps when creating a character and we can't see the improvements when buying the bloody upgrades. That way I found out that after spending 1K of VC on some speed upgrade, I improved my speed by exactly 0.
Huge amount of product placement. Honestly this is over the top, they are now advertising headphones. Crappy headphones at that. Is 2K getting extra money out of this? Damn, even Netflix has a warning for product placement.
Now the kicker - the amount of VC you have seems to be well hidden. It's not shown anymore on top of the screen, it's only on specific screens. In MyGM the only way I could find out how much I have is by going to the menu that allows you to buy next level. In MyCareer it's slightly faster to get to know how much you have, but still kinda hidden.
And there are reports that difficulty multipliers might be gone and that not all VC gained is actually saved resulting in a loss for no reason. The agent giving you the option to donate the VC from promo deal to charity is just an insult at this point.

Once again, I must agree. The VC paywalls in NBA 2K18 feel downright greedy. There's no better word for it. No goodwill at all, here. A lot of stuff is behind a paywall and the prices seem to have increased, but the VC rewards haven't gone up. If anything, they might have been slightly nerfed, for the second year running. It's disgraceful.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:01 am

Dee4Three wrote:Oh, and I saw some people say it feels impossible to get by the CPU... not trying to be a jerk, but you have to be kidding me...

I literally feel like I can blow by the CPU on HOF on every single posession, it's really easy in this game. Using regular teams, classic teams, doesn't matter. Getting a first step has never been easier (even easier than 2K13). The team defense has improved, but the individual one on one defense is not good this year.

You're right. I ask this for times in my wishlists for next NBA2K, but now it's so easy, too easy.
It should be that way for fast PG and "aliens" (MJ, LeBron), but i can't accept that Beverley pass Payton so easily for example.
sticky-fingers

Postby StyxTx on Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:12 am

EMan wrote:

I did not buy the game so I am going by what I'm reading, but it seems to me that 2k is incrementally, version by version, making everything so that VC is needed to do anything.
StyxTx

Postby hova- on Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:12 am

I am quite disappointed ... like the last few years actually. I don't play all this VC/MyPlayer or online stuff.

The gameplay has improved a bit. The CPU's errors on defense have been reduced. I like the post play more as I feel like I can pull off the right moves easier than last year.

But all this for 50 Euro? That is ridiculous. Then they add new teams but they remove others ... which in the end negates any use of the word "improvement".

Further the fps is bad for me and even when I change the video settings to very low I do not get a good performance. How can that be?

I like that they added more "speed" sliders so we will have a bigger chance to tweak the everlasting problem of game pace which is again not realistic.

The graphics are horrible. I only played a few quarters with some teams and I can already name double digit players that look like ridiculous cartoon figures.

Not to mention the arenas/crowds. It looks nothing like in real life.

I think the gameplay has potential to be a bit better than last year, but you could also argue that almost nothing has changed. It's us nerds who might see some differences, but it's not a really big improvement. The game also feels a bit sluggish and I don't feel like I have more control.

Let's face it: 2k has become a cash cow like Fifa or Dota. It's just the same. They spend money on licences rather than really improving the game. They changes things for the sake of change just to reintroduce them two years later and sell them as "new features".

The whole online content makes a lot of money for them, but the game is stagnating.

I will still play the game because I need that after watching NBA matches. And I hope for all the modders in the community that we can improve the game together.

But I heavily criticize 2k policy. Capitalism strikes again.
hova-
Two time Hall Of Famer

Postby Dommy73 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:57 am

Andrew wrote:I've also run into the same delay issue. I know 2K wants the "realism" of having people chase down loose balls and whatnot, but there are times when it's acceptable to break from reality. There have been a lot of jokes about that kind of stuff over the years and the developers themselves have had the grace and good humour to take them in stride. Unfortunately, they haven't taken the criticism on board and changed it.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind if it took 5 seconds tops. I could live with that. But if it took me that long to fetch the ball in a team practice (we do not have assistants so we train free throws in pairs/triples and fetch for each other) I'd hear about it from my teammates and coach. I do not see how it would be acceptable in the NBA where the guy is literally paid for fetching the ball.

Andrew wrote:The Neighborhood is a cool concept in theory, and if I were younger and really into it, I'd probably enjoy it. As it stands, in practice I find it cumbersome. Now in addition to waiting for things to load, I also have to run up and down the street to find them first. More time spent to get to play the modes I want. There's no fast travel, no menu shortcuts for gamers who don't want to bother with it. There isn't even a map to help with navigation! I'm sure it's going to be well-received by a majority of the fanbase, but I personally find it to be somewhat of an alienating premise.

Oh yeah and there is no map (or at least I haven't found it yet).

One thing I forgot to mention is the Locker before MyCareer games. Not the part where I have to watch the animation of me walking to my seat and then walking out. That is just another unskippable delay.
But the fact that I can pretty easily choose my accessories and shoes before the game is minor, but very nice improvement.

Sadly the rest of the game went in the exact opposite direction with the neighborhood.
Speaking of delays I just had to sit through unskippable conversation about nothing because I wanted to change my haircut because I overhauled my player's appearance. "Cool".

NINJA PRE-EDIT: Another thing I noticed, this time bad is lack of customization in MyCareer in terms of settings - for example I can't turn off the CPU shaking when shooting free throws.

EDIT: I'd say John Oliver can sum up our feelings about the Neighborhood (also tiny hamster eating a tiny burrito right after that, so keep watching till the end and it's pretty nice segment about death penalty before that):
phpBB [video]
Last edited by Dommy73 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fedora 26 for everything meaningful, Windows 10 for games and video entertainment

ImageImageImage
Dommy73

Postby sticky-fingers on Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:57 am

That's why i've paid it 30€ on grey market.
This year, i will also ban their ads, hashtags and useless stuffs : game is blocked by my firewall. I will only authorize the connection for 2KShare.

As i wrote here many times, if 2K want to put microtransactions, even more at this year's level, they have to release the game as a F2P.
At this point, VC are a big F*** to all theirs costumers.
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:41 am

Dommy73 wrote:All right, let's see.

Gameplay has definitely improved. You can now get by defender if you're fast enough. You can also fail miserably. What also seems to be improved is ball security - I do not see all those randomly lost balls due to a weird contact.
That said, players still can't catch the bloody ball. It's the first thing people are taught - how to hold and catch the ball.
Fouls aren't being called too well. Had a sequence where I've got no call on three shot attempts even though defenders' arms clearly clipped through the shooter's arms.
Some of the legacy issues persist as well.
And for all of you yelling "2K cheats" I just managed to one up all of you. Close game against Wizards, Wall gets a good screen, gets the ball from inbound, pulls up an scores a 3pt shot. The problem is that he was about a meter and half inside the 3pt line. He wasn't anywhere near. In the end it didn't change the result, but what the hell? That literally is cheating.
Oh and commentators are still high. I've had sequence where they announced that some player will shoot free throw after a fould on 3pt made shot. There was no foul. The game just continued.
Other than that they generally have issues with screens. They say on many occasions that the shooter got freed up by a screen even though the screen was on the other side and didn't work one bit. But those are legacy issues.

Presentation - They made some stuff faster (I no longer see those long waiting times before inbounding waiting for nothing). There are still many unskippable or have to wait 10 seconds to skip scenes.

Speaking of waiting, I counted it and because of immersion during MyCareer free throw drill I had to wait 21 seconds between two shots. The only two balls bounced off the rim (good releases BTW, it's a game of chance, but a "good" release was triggering "too short" animation while "slightly early" went in most of the time) and fucked off somewhere and the assistants just went after them. And I started counting and it really took them 21 seconds to get me a ball. That is unacceptable in a real practice, let alone a game.

CaP - I never got any satisfactory results with face scanning, so I'm happy with the CaP system. I can finally look like a human. They removed the sculpting but it seems the choices for stuff like eyes, brow, nose, ears, etc are bunch of presets for various sculpting configurations. I know this might seem like an unpopular opinion, but I consider this a major improvement.

MyGM - meh. Story cutscenes look like a cheap flash game where you get text and repeating animation. Other than that I haven't got far enough in the story yet to have any impressions.

MyLeague - I tried to create league with fantasy draft with all the teams (current, historic and all-time). It's buggy. Players are missing, seems somewhat random. Maybe player pool is too big for the game to handle.

MyCareer - what in the bloody hell.

Now there are plenty of bad design choices... Actually too many of them for it to be coincidence, so I'll call them what they really are: anti-consumer design choices.

Yeah the fantasy draft is buggy. It doesn't work right. You choose all teams, and it is missing a giant chunk of players.

I mean, John Wall is not the best PG of all time... when you choose that option, it makes him the best at 91 overall, and it goes down to 85 overall players after.

They need to fix that.

Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Dommy73 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:49 am

I was missing Shaq and Kyrie (most noticeable) when I did the all teams.

ImageImageImage
Dommy73

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:51 am

Dommy73 wrote:I was missing Shaq and Kyrie (most noticeable) when I did the all teams.

Well, I mean. Magic Johnson wasn't there either....

Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Dommy73 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:03 am

I had Magic in my game. So seems random and probably whole bunch of plebs is missing and we just don't know because they're unnoticeable. That said Norris Cole wasn't in my game.

I think that the number of all players might simply overflow some maximum variable of player pool and the rest just gets cut.

ImageImageImage
Dommy73

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:06 am

Dommy73 wrote:I had Magic in my game. So seems random and probably whole bunch of plebs is missing and we just don't know because they're unnoticeable. That said Norris Cole wasn't in my game.

I think that the number of all players might simply overflow some maximum variable of player pool and the rest just gets cut.

So strange.

And so many players are missing badges.

Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Gerix on Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:41 am

+ AI is smarter, shoots when it is open
+ Few graphics improvements
+ Few small gameplay improvements

- No Euroleague teams
- Too much old teams. I mean, who gives a f*ck about teams in '70s? i dont understand, whats the point ? Comparing players from different centuries?
- Players are slow! Dont know why!? You cant attack C with PG, no way. He will catch you, no matter who is C.
- Paying too much attention to MyCarrer, which, btw, i dont like this year.

For me, Play now is the best game mode for enyoing truly in NBA 2K, because i dont have a time for other game mods. This year we got a downgraded 2K17 with better makeup.
Disappointed....sadly.
:roll:
Gerix

Postby Dommy73 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:11 am

So I was messing around some, for some reason they've made me starter (still OVR 66) and some of the features (negotiating contracts, user choice of drills, ...) are good.

For info, accessories from NBA store are 300 VC flat - that is both increase and decrease from previous years. Simple wrist bands used to be like 50 VC, but those padded sleeves were up to 5000 VC. So at the very least there is that.
The only exception is headband, which is 1000 VC (as usual).
Shoes in the store range from 750 to 4000 VC. Average 2000 VC I'd say.
General clothing starts at 600 VC, goes up to presumably a lot for stuff like jewelry.

The prices themselves didn't change that much with the exception of NBA accessories which I'd say actually went more affordable.

ImageImageImage
Dommy73

Postby joosegoose on Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:15 pm

Having a lot of fun with the gameplay overall, but 2 things have stood out as either bugs or poorly thought-out features:

There is no controller vibration whatsoever. Well, except for a small amount of feedback on free throws, which I could hardly care less about. I'm using the same xbox one controller that worked fine for 2k17, so I hope this wasn't an intentional design choice.

Also, the entire camera seems to randomly shake when playing away games (to simulate crowd noise, I guess?). This is the most immersion-ruining thing I've ever experienced in an NBA 2k game (close second would be the watermarks that have been placed on screen during games before as advertisements). I see an option to turn of camera shaking for free throws, but not during normal gameplay. I really hope someone is about to tell me there's a setting I'm overlooking.
joosegoose

Postby soggycereal42 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:00 pm

Is an update going to come thats going to update the player portraits soon?
soggycereal42

Postby Andrew on Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:29 pm

I'm guessing that might come with the first roster update.

Andrew
Administrator

Postby dare on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:18 pm

Seeing all your impressions makes me scared to buy the game, actually I'm planning to buy it today. Do you guys think its worth it?
dare
True kings have rings

Next

Return to NBA 2K18