Official "I've got NBA 2K18" Topic

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

Official "I've got NBA 2K18" Topic

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:52 am

As I mentioned in the NBA Live 18 section, I can't remember if we've done this much in recent years, but we used to do it basically every year. Since we brought back the countdown games, I thought I might as well get the ball rolling here, too.

Check in once you've got your hands on the game (regardless of platform). Got a physical copy and the collectables? Feel free to post pictures! Also, this isn't necessarily an impressions topic, but you can post them here too if you like. We've got a whole section for NBA 2K18 though, so don't feel like all the discussion has to be in this one topic.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Official "I've got NBA 2K18" Topic

Postby kennii on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:47 am

got the game installing now. probably wont post impressions or reviews. just wanted to say i got it now.
kennii

Postby Orion Pax on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:35 am

I got it from Best Buy today, installing now (PS4)
Orion Pax

Postby Lamrock on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:48 am

It seems like every year I mentally talk myself out of buying 2K. I think back to all the wasted time, all the adult temper tantrums, the marginal upgrades and increasing prevalence of micro-transactions. I looked at my bank account the other day, and concluded that buying a new video game is the last thing I want to do.

Anyway, the game is pre-loaded on my PS4, and I'll be playing in four hours and 12 minutes!
Lamrock

Postby jenz on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:10 am

Wow, are you me? :lol:
jenz
Too cool for a custom title.

Postby TBM on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:28 am

Lamrock wrote:It seems like every year I mentally talk myself out of buying 2K. I think back to all the wasted time, all the adult temper tantrums, the marginal upgrades and increasing prevalence of micro-transactions. I looked at my bank account the other day, and concluded that buying a new video game is the last thing I want to do.

Anyway, the game is pre-loaded on my PS4, and I'll be playing in four hours and 12 minutes!

:lol:
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Dee4Three on Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:18 pm

Clearly, I'll see you guys in the fall of 2018....

"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby CarolusXCI on Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:32 pm

hahaha I just had something similar here as well. It's just the game transferring over the downloaded files to the common folder (or something similar, I guess).

I launched the game 2 minutes ago and for my surprise, Hip Hop Hooray from Naughty By Nature was the song being played. Nostalgia kicked in very hard. Then I hit alt+tab and posted this very message.

back to the game...
CarolusXCI

Postby The X on Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:36 pm

Lamrock wrote:It seems like every year I mentally talk myself out of buying 2K. I think back to all the wasted time, all the adult temper tantrums, the marginal upgrades and increasing prevalence of micro-transactions. I looked at my bank account the other day, and concluded that buying a new video game is the last thing I want to do.

Love your work mate

Resistance is futile. It's really just an addiction. I've only skipped NBA VG once in last 15 years....
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Kevmire on Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:15 pm

Well, I played the game for about 2 minutes on 2KU (PC version). I had friends over so they probably thought I was pooping. Is it just me or are heads huge, and body's are tiny?
Kevmire

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:16 pm

PS4 copy arrived, PC version is still downloading at this juncture.

Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby jay-r on Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:22 pm

About 8 hours ago I played it on my ps4. Got home very late and was surprised that to see that it (pre-ordered standard version of nba 2k18 ps4) was already available. It was auto-downloaded with ps4 @rest mode.
I played couple of games - knicks vs nets; cavs vs raptors. I really like the fluidity of the game. In one word - feels very light and responsive..played it on all-star..dribble moves when successful allows you to smoothly pass the defender without getting stuck out of which you would need to turbo-out..not sure I described it correctly, but the part of not getting stuck seems like a major improvement in overall feel of the game.

I don't like the animation of rim,net,ball when hitting a shot or a dunk..only in few instances it feels “live”.. Allstar/default sliders cpu is getting offensive rebounds like crazy :crazyeyes:

My Latvian brother-from-another-mother Porzingis is massively improved (visually). With K.Love in the back-court, I managed to make his classic touchdown pass to Lebron. I believe it was just a regular pass, but the animation on K. Love was life like - same exact pose/stance as he does it in real life (Y) (Y)
jay-r

Postby elsoulas on Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:51 pm

Good morning guys.
The game is awesome. Fluid and responsive. I agree about the rim and net though.
Btw in full screen windowed mode solid 60fps in ultra details.
elsoulas

Postby I Hate Mondays on Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:02 pm

elsoulas wrote:Good morning guys.
The game is awesome. Fluid and responsive. I agree about the rim and net though.
Btw in full screen windowed mode solid 60fps in ultra details.

Yup, the game is optimized this year. You have to use the usual suspects, Full Screen Windowed Mode, Vsync on, Dynamic Vsync off.
I do get some fps drops which are noticeable whenever I get under the 3 minute mark in 6 minutes quarter - those are happening on transition fastbrakes and inbound plays, same as last year. It's like a rule. With a bit of collab from the devs, maybe we can fix this. Great job this year, the game performs a million times better with ultra settings, AA set to 8 and everything maxed out.

Later edit: If some arenas gave me what I've described above( Kings, Bucks, Phoenix), some other arenas like the Mavericks
gave me horrible fps from the first second of the match during any transition play, no matter the speed. Basically, every change of possesion made the game move in slow motion until the 12-10 second mark on the shot clock. Going down on the shot clock, the frame rate began to be stable.
Changed the AA from 8 to 4, kept the ultra settings. Now I don't have the problems with the Mavericks arena anymore. Also, the inbound and fastbreaks fps drops are diminishued. Not gone, but diminishued. The game is playable, I am not being absurd. Maybe my rig is outdated even though it's times better than the recommended. I am really looking forward to some collab with a 2k dev like Leftos like we did in 2k15-16 so maybe we investigate this.

Other than that, the game is flawless. It's more responsive, gameplay feels great, graphics looo better. 2k17 looks like an early alpha compared to this
I Hate Mondays

Postby ThePointForward on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:22 pm

Humble Store came through (my local retailer found out last minute they're not getting physical copies for PC and I had some credit for Humble Store, 10% discount and thought that having part of the cost going to Wikimedia is not a bad thing) and the game should be downloaded by now.

So I'll get to it when I get back to my place (had an appointment with a doctor). Waiting for train right now at my parents' house and playing with our cat.
She's a fighter, she literally hugs your hand and mock bites straight at the veins.
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby Sportsdude360 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:26 pm

Just played my first game. Fluid and responsive but rim and net animations have devolved from 2k17. They look unnatural, which is too bad. 2K had done a good job of net/rim animations in the last two games.
Last edited by Sportsdude360 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sportsdude360

Postby jay-r on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:23 pm

I Hate Mondays wrote:Later edit: If some arenas gave me what I've described above( Kings, Bucks, Phoenix), some other arenas like the Mavericks
gave me horrible fps from the first second of the match during any transition play, no matter the speed...

Other than that, the game is flawless. It's more responsive, gameplay feels great, graphics looo better. 2k17 looks like an early alpha compared to this

I am so glad that I am away from pc gaming :D With 2k17 PC, which I didn't like that much, I spent more time on looking for the stutter fix/frame drop fix (viewtopic.php?f=224&t=102193), than I spent on playing the game :mrgreen: , true story!
jay-r

Postby Hadley88 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:30 pm

How is the Performance? 2K16 ran in supersmooth 144FPS for me during Gameplay but in 2K17 I barely got 70-80FPS during Gameplay no matter what Settings I used. Is it back to 2K16 Performance?
Hadley88

Postby I Hate Mondays on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:16 pm

Hadley88 wrote:How is the Performance? 2K16 ran in supersmooth 144FPS for me during Gameplay but in 2K17 I barely got 70-80FPS during Gameplay no matter what Settings I used. Is it back to 2K16 Performance?

Almost. I run the game on ultra, just the AA set to 4 for now but the difference between 8 and 4 is barely there

Specs:

8gb RAM
NVidia GTX 970 FTW
Intel i5 3450

The performance is miles different in comparison to 2k17

I'll miss your tweaks jay-r :(
I Hate Mondays

Postby Hadley88 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:17 am

Nice, sounds way better.

Well I'm still downloading with my 600kb/s Connection. Slow but Steady. :D
Hadley88

Postby I Hate Mondays on Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:36 am

Hadley88 wrote:Nice, sounds way better.

Let me know how your games perform whenever you get the chance, as well as your spec. I remember we had similar results with previous games every year, lol.

Further info about the game.
There are new animations in every area, they make the game feel fresh. For those of you who didn't know, you know have a "craddle layup" which is meant to be used when you attempt a layup and the paint is crowded.
The presentation is improved, it feels more TV-like.
Something is odd with the sounds effects. Even on 100, sometimes you can't hear the ball even touch the rim. I won't even mention the net sounds. The floor scratching is nicer though
Everything else was said in different yt videos of the prelude. You have to try the game to see the difference. The moment you grab the game and you notice that players actually stop whenever you stop using the left stick instead of doing 3-4 extra steps like you did in 2K17. No more stupid backcourt violations.
I Hate Mondays

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:05 am

I Hate Mondays wrote:
Hadley88 wrote:Nice, sounds way better.

Let me know how your games perform whenever you get the chance, as well as your spec. I remember we had similar results with previous games every year, lol.

Further info about the game.
There are new animations in every area, they make the game feel fresh. For those of you who didn't know, you know have a "craddle layup" which is meant to be used when you attempt a layup and the paint is crowded.
The presentation is improved, it feels more TV-like.
Something is odd with the sounds effects. Even on 100, sometimes you can't hear the ball even touch the rim. I won't even mention the net sounds. The floor scratching is nicer though
Everything else was said in different yt videos of the prelude. You have to try the game to see the difference. The moment you grab the game and you notice that players actually stop whenever you stop using the left stick instead of doing 3-4 extra steps like you did in 2K17. No more stupid backcourt violations.

The net swishing sound is also hit or miss. Sometimes the shot goes in and no sound is made at all.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby timmyd on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:26 am

Yeah I've noticed the sound issue as well.

How are the crowd sounds and reactions to big plays and clutch moments? still messed up?
Willing to help complete rosters for season/my league use.

#GoSpursGo
timmyd

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:58 am

PC version finished downloading last night, so I'll give that a try today and see how it performs.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K18