The Prelude Impressions

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

Re: The Prelude Impressions

Postby bluejaybrandon on Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:53 am

CasE wrote:Kings (probable) starter and one of the best Euros Bogdan Bogdanovic has generic cyberface.

As much as I hate generic cyberfaces, I do have to say that this one is not surprising. With him coming over from Europe, its unlikely that they had a face scan done. Hopefully we can get a good modder to make it and with the way they handled cyberfaces this year, I would not be surprised if it was in 2k19.
bluejaybrandon

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:07 am

A few things I will say after playing through the MyCareer portions:

1. They really should give us a choice of a few different voices for our chatacter. I know that would be more work because it would require another human or multiple other humans to say the same or similar lines. But having only one voice to choose from doesn't seem right.

2. 3 on 3 full court for the first game felt kinda silly, because I don't know anybody, ever who plays 3 on 3 full court. They should have either made that half court, or start off 5 on 5.

3. I understand that they put a lot behind pay walls, but the hair choices are so limited. Not only that, I couldn't change cheek bone width... which I found odd. After my face scan, my guy ended up looking like the black haired more recent Eminem as opposed to me. And that's mainly because of the hair and cheekbones.

4. Can we atleast have a couple choices for body types?... having only one seems strange and really limited.

Other than that, it was really solid. I love the gameplay I'm 2K18.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Hyperize] on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:45 am

What I can say is I wish they let you make multiple players (assuming this is still a feature in 2K18); would like to try out a stretch four, as well as claim the pair of Jordan's and trophy I missed at the beginning. I found a workaround, and I wonder if both players will be waiting for me in 2K18.

Andrew wrote:Another stray observation: it seems that sound is disabled in the video capture, at least on PS4. I imagine it'll be the same deal in the full version. It's not an issue if you have a capture card, or capture software with the PC version of course, but a bit of a pain all the same.

This was an issue with 2K17 as well; oddly enough, it records foul whistles and the shot clock noise.
[Hyperize]

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:53 am

cavs4872 wrote:What I can say is I wish they let you make multiple players (assuming this is still a feature in 2K18); would like to try out a stretch four, as well as claim the pair of Jordan's and trophy I missed at the beginning. I found a workaround, and I wonder if both players will be waiting for me in 2K18.

Andrew wrote:Another stray observation: it seems that sound is disabled in the video capture, at least on PS4. I imagine it'll be the same deal in the full version. It's not an issue if you have a capture card, or capture software with the PC version of course, but a bit of a pain all the same.

This was an issue with 2K17 as well; oddly enough, it records foul whistles and the shot clock noise.

It is on xbox one as well (sound disabled for video capture).
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby StyxTx on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:33 am

Dee4Three wrote:A few things I will say after playing through the MyCareer portions:

1. They really should give us a choice of a few different voices for our chatacter. I know that would be more work because it would require another human or multiple other humans to say the same or similar lines. But having only one voice to choose from doesn't seem right.

2. 3 on 3 full court for the first game felt kinda silly, because I don't know anybody, ever who plays 3 on 3 full court. They should have either made that half court, or start off 5 on 5.

3. I understand that they put a lot behind pay walls, but the hair choices are so limited. Not only that, I couldn't change cheek bone width... which I found odd. After my face scan, my guy ended up looking like the black haired more recent Eminem as opposed to me. And that's mainly because of the hair and cheekbones.

4. Can we atleast have a couple choices for body types?... having only one seems strange and really limited.

You'll be smart and backup the initial .exe file cuz 2 or 3 patches down the road it'll be back to the same garbage that all versions end off being. Everyone else who plays on PC needs to save that file also.

Personally, I've given up on 2k, and one of the primary reasons is this VC game they play. This year you have to use VC to get more hair styles? Give me a f****** break. Live doesn't have that greedy money grab.
StyxTx

Postby The X on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:52 am

I think this might end up being best 2K in seven years since 2K11. Since then I've been underwhelmed by 5v5 gameplay. This year however it's looking good & was more fun. I hope LD2K's reply to me in Twitter is accurate & they don't ruin gameplay with patches as they try to appease more casual gamers. The fact they have esports this year will probably mean 2K need to cool it on gameplay patches as is an embarrassing look if the "pros" need to re-learn/create new players to deal with changes. I know there will be a bunch of patches, I'm just hopeful they are careful with them this year.

I really like the underrated addition of end of shot clock/quarter sound coming from DS controller. Was a very nice touch.

Hip riding animations on D are a thing of beauty.

CPU AI seems a bit better at finding open man rather than just being restricted to set play patterns.

VC paywall sucks but not unexpected. It makes me less want to spend extra money.

Overall, very excited for release.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:25 am

Dee4Three wrote:4. Can we atleast have a couple choices for body types?... having only one seems strange and really limited.

In Episode #221 of the NLSC Podcast, Ben suggested that it might be that you have to go to the gym in The Neighborhood to work on your physique, not unlike CJ in GTA: San Andreas. I hadn't thought of that until he brought it up, but it seems somewhat likely now that he has.

cavs4872 wrote:

Really? It was complete silence for me in NBA 2K17, same as NBA 2K14. Annoying, but presumably it's due to copyright on the music, or some similar issue.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby ilja23mia on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:34 pm

This Prelude is overhyped as f***. Played it yesterday on the PS4.

Worst prelude in the 2k series so far, cant even tell whats a good build since you couldnt upgrade or even practice with it lmao this ish was so pointless.

The only pros: Graphics got better, the gameplay and the jumpshots not to mention passes way better then last year.
Miami Heat All DAY
ilja23mia

Postby jay-r on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:20 pm

ilja23mia wrote:This Prelude is overhyped as f***. Played it yesterday on the PS4.

Worst prelude in the 2k series so far, cant even tell whats a good build since you couldnt upgrade or even practice with it lmao this ish was so pointless.

The only pros: Graphics got better, the gameplay and the jumpshots not to mention passes way better then last year.

Totally agree. I am enjoying nba live 18 demo so much more, eventhough its more arcade than sim..
jay-r

Postby ThePointForward on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:28 pm

BTW did anyone tested a bit the "hold pass button longer, throw further"?
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby The X on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:34 pm

Dommy73 wrote:BTW did anyone tested a bit the "hold pass button longer, throw further"?

Yep, I played 2KU a few times & it does work. That's how you do the skip passes.
The X
is
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThePointForward on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:48 pm

BTW it appears that some people already have some fun with Ronnie2K's appearance...

https://streamable.com/ho0wt
ThePointForward
Formerly Dommy73

Postby StyxTx on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:12 pm

jay-r wrote:
Totally agree. I am enjoying nba live 18 demo so much more, eventhough its more arcade than sim..

More arcade? I don't think so, but fans of 2k will always say that. At least in Live you don't have to spend VC for hair and beards.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:20 pm

The frequency of dunks and inside shooting percentages in general in the NBA Live 18 Demo isn't quite as realistic as it could be, but apart from that, the gameplay is definitely sim-oriented. Let's not confuse not measuring up to a desired level of realism with arcade-style gameplay. Neither NBA Live 18 nor NBA 2K18 play like NBA Jam, NBA Street, or NBA Playgrounds.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:44 pm

Andrew wrote:The frequency of dunks and inside shooting percentages in general in the NBA Live 18 Demo isn't quite as realistic as it could be, but apart from that, the gameplay is definitely sim-oriented. Let's not confuse not measuring up to a desired level of realism with arcade-style gameplay. Neither NBA Live 18 nor NBA 2K18 play like NBA Jam, NBA Street, or NBA Playgrounds.

I agree with this, both games are trying to be sim. My biggest gripe with Live outside of the robotic movements sometimes is how easy it is to hit crazy layups. Double teams, triple teams, small on big, most of the time it doesn't matter, the ball finds it's way into the hoop. It takes some of the fun out of actually creating space or making a good move around the player because you feel like sometimes you could just charge in there and score anyway.

I can guarantee that EA will come out with a patch for this to make them tougher, they are clearly listening to all feedback and implementing.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby ilja23mia on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:45 pm

Nba Live 18 demo was impressive, would not mind to buy it.
It is the best nba live so far...
But the layups looking strange and a lot of animations looking not smooth
Miami Heat All DAY
ilja23mia

Postby ilja23mia on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:46 pm

Dee4Three wrote:
Andrew wrote:The frequency of dunks and inside shooting percentages in general in the NBA Live 18 Demo isn't quite as realistic as it could be, but apart from that, the gameplay is definitely sim-oriented. Let's not confuse not measuring up to a desired level of realism with arcade-style gameplay. Neither NBA Live 18 nor NBA 2K18 play like NBA Jam, NBA Street, or NBA Playgrounds.

I agree with this, both games are trying to be sim. My biggest gripe with Live outside of the robotic movements sometimes is how easy it is to hit crazy layups. Double teams, triple teams, small on big, most of the time it doesn't matter, the ball finds it's way into the hoop. It takes some of the fun out of actually creating space or making a good move around the player because you feel like sometimes you could just charge in there and score anyway.

I can guarantee that EA will come out with a patch for this to make them tougher, they are clearly listening to all feedback and implementing.

exactly the layups too easy!
Miami Heat All DAY
ilja23mia

Postby jay-r on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:11 am

StyxTx wrote:
jay-r wrote:

More arcade? I don't think so, but fans of 2k will always say that. At least in Live you don't have to spend VC for hair and beards.

Well you sound like a hater :D, but I am as objective as it gets. Everyone has its own opinions and perception of things. IMO, the more basketball titles on pc/consoles, the better and I will never totally dismiss/ undermine one over another. I love the fact that live is back and as I said I have more fun @the nba live 18 demo than I did on 2k, but with all that said, you can't argue that one is more arcade-ish and what I mean by that -> in 2k when you hit/miss layup, shot, dunk its explanatory 99% of the time, meaning the surrounding conditions led to it, but in live you can hit all sort of crazy shots/dunk in traffic and in many cases its not compatible with reality/surrounding conditions, if I can say so. You get it? And this is what separates it from 2k.. and I am not saying its bad..its just different and its been a lot of fun for stretches and there are whole bunch of other things besides game-play that I like about live (Y)
jay-r

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:20 am

Dee4Three wrote:

Absolutely. Over the years, I think "arcade" has unfortunately become synonymous with "not satisfactory" or "not quite realistic enough" when it comes to describing sim games. There's a clear difference in the two styles though, and no NBA Live game has had a style similar to NBA Jam and other arcade titles (except perhaps NBA Live 2003, thanks to the first implementation of Freestyle being too powerful, the exaggerated blocks, and the comedic cutscenes). It'd probably be more accurate to say that Live has sometimes taken too casual an approach to being sim-oriented, with default gameplay settings that are a bit too fast-paced and whatnot. 2K has traditionally done a better job of taking a hardcore approach to being sim-oriented, without alienating casual gamers. Both games have always been five-on-five with playcalling, ratings and attributes that strive for realistic performance, and so on. Definitely in the sim category.

In any event, I guess that's a whole discussion for another time. I agree that the dunks and shooting percentages are something they'll probably tweak. It would certainly be in their best interests to keep listening to the feedback in that regard.

Getting back to The Prelude, I still have it installed. At this point, it's basically just in case I want to try and get a better face scan before the game comes out. I've already got a good feel for the gameplay through a few sessions of 2KU and am looking forward to the full version. With no way to disable the pop-ups, there isn't much incentive to keep playing 2KU. I'm ready for the full game. It's just a shame we didn't get more of a taste, in a setting that would allow us to really try out the new approach to MyPLAYER Archetypes, or an abbreviated exhibition game.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:21 am

jay-r wrote:
StyxTx wrote:
jay-r wrote:

Well you sound like a hater :D, but I am as objective as it gets. Everyone has its own opinions and perception of things. IMO, the more basketball titles on pc/consoles, the better and I will never totally dismiss/ undermine one over another. I love the fact that live is back and as I said I have more fun @the nba live 18 demo than I did on 2k, but with all that said, you can't argue that one is more arcade-ish and what I mean by that -> in 2k when you hit/miss layup, shot, dunk its explanatory 99% of the time, meaning the surrounding conditions led to it, but in live you can hit all sort of crazy shots/dunk in traffic and in many cases its not compatible with reality/surrounding conditions, if I can say so. You get it? And this is what separates it from 2k.. and I am not saying its bad..its just different and its been a lot of fun for stretches and there are whole bunch of other things besides game-play that I like about live (Y)

I hate the 2k fanboy talk, or Live Hater, or Live fanboy, or whatever. We are above that. I like your reasoning about conditions, because it means you put thought into it. You know, people can have an opinion without being a "Hater", or people can call out something about a game without hating the whole game, or using bias to come to that conclusion. I prefer 2K, but It's not just because it's 2k, I have a list of reasons why. Live has a way to go, but it certainly has improved.

"But fans of 2K will always say that" is a generalization and it's implying that any 2K fan will have bias when it comes to critiquing basketball titles. You know as well as I do that that's a completely false statement. Most of us are basketball gaming fans, as in, if a new basketball title comes along or an existing basketball title improves to our liking, we will absolutely give it a shot and become a consumer more times than not.

Lets cut the 2K fanboy, Live hater etc out of the conversations and keep bringing the feedback. Live has stuff to improve on, and so does 2K.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby kingpnp on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:38 am

Dee4Three wrote:A few things I will say after playing through the MyCareer portions:

dont even get me started on the voices dee. i've been saying it for years.

I actually have a remedy for it.

do you guys remember having the ability to change arena sounds to whatever audio files you had on your system then assigned to those arena situations? well you could easily do that with your own voice recordings. let me do my own voice over stuff.

Easy peezy. i can do it via an app with my phone(these smart phones can record at 44.1k stereo if need be. vocals are mono anyway so thats a smaller file.

you could do it with your kinect(if you still have one on the xbox) or you could use your computer(laptop mic or a real mic). you could do this for any version of the game ps4, xbox one, pc..shouldnt matter its just an audio file.

how it works:

you goto the 2k voice over website. you have the lines of your guys/girl right there. you read the lines. it plays it back to you to see if thats what you want it to sound like. you hit accept and bam its uploaded to your system of choice. not actually sitting on 2ks servers since that would be a ton of data we dont need them to have to load up. its bad enough now. lol.

you then go back into 2k on your system. settings. choose "my player voice over custom audio" then it already knows to replace the built in audio with your custom audio. only you will hear your guys custom audio. since I assume when we play online, any knows you make on the court is a generic sound on 2k servers version of the game that we are both playing on.
kingpnp

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:09 am

Definitely a cool idea, and I'd have to imagine technically feasible. Going back some twenty years, Leisure Suit Larry 7 allowed you to have a cameo by recording some audio and dropping the files into a specific folder, so there'd have to be a way to do it these days. With gaming headsets, webcams and everything else, people are even more likely to have the necessary equipment on hand, too.

The only drawback here is that if you're recording all the lines, then you're going to spoil the MyCAREER story before you even start it. Insert joke about the story already being ruined here, but if you're willing to go to the trouble of recording your voice for the character, chances are it's something you want to play through and try to enjoy. If you've read all the dialogue, you're going to know all the story beats and whatnot before you've played through it.

Perhaps they should go the Saints Row route, and include a few different voice options. One of the WWE games did that for their story mode many years ago as well.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby bigh0rt on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:02 pm

Andrew wrote:Leisure Suit Larry 7

Best game ever, period, stop.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:08 pm

(Y)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has fond memories of it, or other Sierra/LucasArts classics.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:35 pm

Dee4Three wrote:
jay-r wrote:
StyxTx wrote:
jay-r wrote:

I hate the 2k fanboy talk, or Live Hater, or Live fanboy, or whatever. We are above that. I like your reasoning about conditions, because it means you put thought into it. You know, people can have an opinion without being a "Hater", or people can call out something about a game without hating the whole game, or using bias to come to that conclusion. I prefer 2K, but It's not just because it's 2k, I have a list of reasons why. Live has a way to go, but it certainly has improved.

"But fans of 2K will always say that" is a generalization and it's implying that any 2K fan will have bias when it comes to critiquing basketball titles. You know as well as I do that that's a completely false statement. Most of us are basketball gaming fans, as in, if a new basketball title comes along or an existing basketball title improves to our liking, we will absolutely give it a shot and become a consumer more times than not.

Lets cut the 2K fanboy, Live hater etc out of the conversations and keep bringing the feedback. Live has stuff to improve on, and so does 2K.

I meant to say hardcore fans of 2k, the ones who see any competition to their game as a threat to be defused. They will attack anyone who says anything negative about 2k or anything positive about Live, or any other basketball game the see as a threat. I would guess the average age of these sorts is around 13, but they are there.

So 2k isn't arcadish? This doesn't explain how as a team we always shot 55% or better for seasons and average between 120 & 130 points per game. One season we went 78-4. It didn't matter what team I went to, good teams IRL, poor teams, we always walked away with our division, and usually the league.

I shot 60% or better as a SG and could make layups and dunks at will......mostly cuz the AI defense is really bad and would leave me to go help someone else on defense for who knows why.

I'd raise the difficulty level and all it would effect is the opposing team's ability to score....they'd score more, keep up with us. We'd still score 120-130 points per game. That is an accurate simulation? Seems pretty arcade to me.
StyxTx

PreviousNext

Return to NBA 2K18