Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Re: NBA 2K18 - First 5 v 5 Broadcast Gameplay

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:30 am

I watched the whole video.

Here are my takes below. I was typing while watching. overall, this made me even more excited for the game. I love the look of it, and I really like the presentation improvements.

- The presentation for the All-Time teams is a little off. They show Jimmy Butler for the Bulls and Andre Drummond for the Pistons. Only reason is, they are being treated like regular teams (So the players shown will be current players) I had a feeling that might happen, it's the same when we mod.

+ I like that beginning right before the game "The following presentation of the NBA"

+ The graphics kind of returned to the look of NBA 2K11 (With the way the players look). That is not a bad thing, I really like how the game looks. Obviously I am not saying that 2K11 is as good as next gen, it's just the overall look of the players and atmosphere around them.

+ I love Ben Wallace's Fro.

- While I like the graphics, players are really lacking muscle tone, look at Pippen. That's nothing like the Pippen of real life. Ben Wallace is really thin here. The players lacking Traps looks odd.

+ It looks like they fixed some of the over bumping that occurred.

+ I like the net sound effects, they are more pronounced

+ They added court chatter, feels like the older 2k's.. I love that.

- Transition defense seems a little broken still, watch at 6:29. Pippen is wide open (User didn't pass it to him until it was too late..) and the pistons defender (Grant Hill) doesn't even react to Pippen, at all, he isn't even facing that direction. Pippen just waltz's into the lane wide open.

+ Love the new cut scenes that show the player and his name (Grant Hill at 7:40)

+ The pace looks better

- Pick n Rolls might be a little easy still, look at the lack of coverage at 9:57. The roll man (Rodman) is left wide open. That collision on that same play reminded me of NBA 2K15. Nice hard foul by Laimbeer (Which he would do)

+ I LOVE the stat overlays at the foul line. I've been wanting that for years.

+ The camera looks great on free throws, I like that they made it closer up. Check out the cool camera angle on Rips first free throw at 15:47.

- Pistons Rodman should not be shooting three's....

o It would have been nice if the user didn't go passed the between quarters presentation...

+ Watch Butler at 12:18, I like that animation. he is driving but not being bumped into animations like in NBA 2K17. It looks clean

+ We may be able to use the same scoreboard mods from NBA 2K17, structure is identical.

+ Looks like they got rid of the annoying assistant coach....

- Body Steals still look a bit easy, like at 16:48

+ Jordans new face is amazing

+ I like the halftime highlights. They went back to what made the highlights on 2K14 and before so good. Slow motion, good camera views. Awesome.

+ He cut it short, but it looks like they were going to show highlights of Thomas when the first half started. This is a great touch.

+ It looks like the glitch of the defender standing out of bounds (Wing defender) is gone. I didn't see it in this video once.

- Some clipping issues still exist, as expected.

+ He let the transition to the 4th show, again I like the highlights. I like the end of the game slow motion highlights as well.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby PeacemanNOT on Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:49 am

I'm not great when it comes to analysing gameplay, but from my first impression from this is that animations and especially passing looks kind of awkward.

I also hate the way jump shot animations are ruined with that "rhythm" feature they added last year. It forces them to lean back if the jumpshot is not a perfect release, it's especially noticeable with Jordan's release.
Donate if you'd like to:
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:51 am

First step seems to be better even vs the CPU

@24:48 reverse dribble loose ball still here :roll:

I.Thomas'face is awful
Last edited by sticky-fingers on Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
sticky-fingers

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:58 am

PeacemanNOT wrote:I'm not great when it comes to analysing gameplay, but from my first impression from this is that animations and especially passing looks kind of awkward.

I also hate the way jump shot animations are ruined with that "rhythm" feature they added last year. It forces them to lean back if the jumpshot is not a perfect release, it's especially noticeable with Jordan's release.

I agree, and I've also never liked protected shots. They happen when they shouldn't.

The passing does look a bit awkward, I see passes being a bit slower again. Players are taught at a young age to whip the ball on a pass, like pass it with purpose, I learned that when I was super young. Not sure why they can't get that right.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby sticky-fingers on Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:02 am

You're right, MJ face is amazing, but there's something weird with his teeth 33:40

5:20 pump fake seems doesnt work again and what the next movement ?! :crazyeyes:
sticky-fingers

Postby dare on Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:54 am

Looks good and lol at that pump fake going through hop step, isn't that an issue way back 2k13?
dare
True kings have rings

Postby [Hyperize] on Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:20 am

omg how ugly was the sequence at 3:45

Dee4Three wrote:+ I like that beginning right before the game "The following presentation of the NBA"

This theme was actually a throwback from 2K9.
[Hyperize]

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:39 am

cavs4872 wrote:omg how ugly was the sequence at 3:45

Dee4Three wrote:+ I like that beginning right before the game "The following presentation of the NBA"

Fine by me, love the classic stuff.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby TBM on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:58 pm

The MJ face looks like a mod (in a good way). Like, there's even veins in the texture,
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dalegremio on Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:22 pm

Jump shot animations still bad, these bad animations started in 2k16. Look at Jordan jumpshot, it's the same as Curry sometimes.
dalegremio

Postby bongo88 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:58 pm

A Couple AI things i noticed that were good. I dont know if they are in 2k17 or other recent games. I still play 2k11 and 2k10 mostly. Have followed the recent games casually at launch, then mostly read about the many problems over at operationsports :) I got 2k13, but still prefer 2k11 and 2k10 and play them randomly. anyways.

23:57 The human defender Cheats the screen way too far. CPU Isaiah Thomas breaks the play and does a nice drive to the basket. Dunno if that was present in recent 2k games, but it was a good decision by the AI against the human error.
The real experiment would be to cheat the screen against lesser guards and see if they make the same read, or if it's just top tier guards like Isaiah.

25:14 Isaiah loses his man on the inbound play. Human Rodman is all over and CPU Isaiah makes a nice cut to the basket. Again a nice read by the AI. Would the AI have cut elswhere had Human controlled Rodman played defense and not be screaming at fans in the 3rd row, dunno.

I also noticed the variety of fast breaks exhibited in the game. These might be present from 2k15-2k17. I dunno. Don't own them and have followed them only lightly. But the older ones i have played, most fast breaks ended up rather crowded under the rim.

Anyways, in the gameplay i saw these examples

28:03 rather crowded fast break (the crowdedness is fine. But announcer says love gets the assist after butler dribbles half the court. that was rather odd.)
31:39 less crowded fast break
40:15 breakaway grant hill dunk (empty backfield and nice outlet pass from the AI center. Maybe a little to aware, but wasn't gameplay jarring.)
40:50 rather empty breakaway Jordan Dunk (human player)

The jordan one was a pleasant surprise because in older 2k the AI programming would've made that play rather crowded. Glad they remembered that some fast breaks were rather empty in the backcourt for human players as well as cpu.
anyways, those were the few moments of rather good gameplay.

Havent followed the new 2k closely so these might be standard features.
bongo88

Postby vinhobbs_123 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:33 pm

Dee4Three wrote:
cavs4872 wrote:omg how ugly was the sequence at 3:45

Fine by me, love the classic stuff.

So dee, you will overwrite your roster on 30 all-time team?
Last edited by vinhobbs_123 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vinhobbs_123

Postby laroche23 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:37 pm

Sincerely the game does not look that different from 2k17...just upgraded presentation.. hopefully I am wrong .
laroche23

Postby PeacemanNOT on Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:33 pm

More gameplay but this time it's from the 2K camera view:

phpBB [video]
Donate if you'd like to:
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby Murat on Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:43 pm

at 6:39 you can see the Thunder's statement jersey. LEAK LEAK LEAK

Not bad
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Sauru on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:00 am

shooting really that hard or is this guy just really bad?
Sauru

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:22 am

Sauru wrote:shooting really that hard or is this guy just really bad?

He is really that bad. Look how unorthodox he plays, he is not using anybody right. He's jacking threes with Rose and Jordan all game, didn't use Pippen once.

Love that he showed gameplay. Props to him for that. But it's frustrating when I see these early gameplay videos come out with players who are just not good at the game. They could make the early gameplay footage look much better if they had some good 2k players showing off the game.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby PeacemanNOT on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:35 am

Dee4Three wrote:

He is really that bad. Look how unorthodox he plays, he is not using anybody right. He's jacking threes with Rose and Jordan all game, didn't use Pippen once.

Love that he showed gameplay. Props to him for that. But it's frustrating when I see these early gameplay videos come out with players who are just not good at the game. They could make the early gameplay footage look much better if they had some good 2k players showing off the game.

To be fair it was probably his first time playing and he was just testing it out. From what I believe everyone at the event was under a time constraint and people were all waiting for a go at the game. There was a limited amount of PS4's at hand so they were all rushing their playing time in.
Donate if you'd like to:
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby Dee4Three on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:44 am

PeacemanNOT wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:

To be fair it was probably his first time playing and he was just testing it out. From what I believe everyone at the event was under a time constraint and people were all waiting for a go at the game. There was a limited amount of PS4's at hand so they were all rushing their playing time in.

That doesn't mean you take like 10 threes in 6 minute quarters with Michael Jordan, or use Rose the same way. Or not use hardly anybody else on the team.

I'm glad he uploaded. But watching the video, it seems that he doesn't know basketball. I can see him losing on the first time while using players somewhat like themselves, but this was the furthest from that.

But honestly, he's probably a super casual player (which takes up a large portion of consumers). I've played against people like that before, they usually play on pro and play like he played here. That's fine, no problems with that. Just wish they had someone who used the players right showing off the game in the early stages.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby diamenz on Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:16 am

NOT GOOD - pipp is spazzing out losing his man similiar to 2k17:

rodman having some trouble running lol:

these are strawberryshortcake's gif's from os

also here, @ 12:34 & 14:10

https://youtu.be/lUSI7fdOStw?t=12m34s

very, very discouraging.
diamenz

Postby Hadley88 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:49 am

Feels like there is SSAO or Shadows missing. Overall looks way too bright.
Hadley88

Postby Magicola on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:58 pm

video of first post, 5:20 horrible travel
Magicola

Postby diamenz on Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:50 am

im surprised no one's trippin out about my previous post. from what ive seen, the same fundamental defensive issues that plagued 2k17 carried over to 18.
diamenz

Postby PeacemanNOT on Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:19 am

diamenz wrote:im surprised no one's trippin out about my previous post. from what ive seen, the same fundamental defensive issues that plagued 2k17 carried over to 18.

At this point I just need to get the game in my hands to get a true sense of how the game plays. Can't wait for Friday...
Donate if you'd like to:
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Next

Return to NBA 2K18