2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby PeacemanNOT on Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:58 am

phpBB [video]
User avatar
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor
 
Posts: 1970
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:02 am
Location: Ireland

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby EnterTheV01d on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:08 am

Well im sold bro i mean they finally got diff body types for myplayer and new CAP system i dont know about haircuts tho looks pretty same expect some new cuts but shit this mf looks solid
Image

User avatar
EnterTheV01d
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:14 am
Location: Windy City

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby PeacemanNOT on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:09 am

Like I've said on OS, not a good sign when there's nothing about improvement of classic team art. For the people who say we've still got a lot of time left, this would have been the time to put emphasis on it. It's a video solely dedicated to art. Not looking good for retro heads like myself.

Apart from that the game looks amazing art wise, at least for current players/teams.
User avatar
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor
 
Posts: 1970
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:02 am
Location: Ireland

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby DanREZx0 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:45 am

LIT!!!!!! im pre ordering !!!!!
Last edited by DanREZx0 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
DanREZx0
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 9:14 pm

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby TBM on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:51 am

Hyped as fuck. It looks like they addressed every single complaint about the visuals.
Image
User avatar
TBM
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 3654
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:33 am

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby Andrew on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:52 am

NBA 2K18 is looking very nice indeed. It remains to be seen whether some of those legacy gameplay issues have been addressed, but the hands-on impressions have been promising, and there's clearly been some aesthetic enhancements, which is always nice to see. With the improvements to MyLEAGUE and MyGM, I'm definitely looking forward to this year's game.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Image
Contact: Email | Twitter
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube


Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Image
Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
User avatar
Andrew
45? That's a bad luck number!
Administrator
 
Posts: 102082
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:51 pm
Location: Australia

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby Aureus Divus on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:53 am

yeah this video did it for me, sold!
Image
Immensa Omnium Peritia
User avatar
Aureus Divus
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:03 am

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby buzzy on Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:12 am

2k17 was unplayable for me regardless of looks, so I'm not jumping the gun.
User avatar
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 4030
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:19 pm
Location: Vienna

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby I Hate Mondays on Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:27 am

buzzy wrote:2k17 was unplayable for me regardless of looks, so I'm not jumping the gun.


Same thing happened for me. Poor optimization. I'll just check the system req. before I preorder the game, see if there's any big difference.
Image
User avatar
I Hate Mondays
 
Posts: 2687
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:41 am
Location: Romania

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby Dommy73 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:43 am

OK, I'm sold. This is definitely a huge pleasant surprise they managed to revamp CAP before the next generation.
i7-6800K, 16GB @ 2400MHz CL14, 980 Ti Classy
Fedora 26 for everything meaningful, Windows 10 for games and video entertainment

ImageImageImage
User avatar
Dommy73
Making 2K16 newbs quit like Curry in the Finals
 
Posts: 1688
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:00 am

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby buzzy on Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:49 am

I Hate Mondays wrote:
buzzy wrote:2k17 was unplayable for me regardless of looks, so I'm not jumping the gun.


Same thing happened for me. Poor optimization. I'll just check the system req. before I preorder the game, see if there's any big difference.


I'm not even talking about hardware requirements
User avatar
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 4030
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:19 pm
Location: Vienna

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby I Hate Mondays on Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:51 am

buzzy wrote:
I Hate Mondays wrote:
buzzy wrote:2k17 was unplayable for me regardless of looks, so I'm not jumping the gun.


Same thing happened for me. Poor optimization. I'll just check the system req. before I preorder the game, see if there's any big difference.


I'm not even talking about hardware requirements


Oh, get it. Guess you were talking about overall gameplay. My bad
Image
User avatar
I Hate Mondays
 
Posts: 2687
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:41 am
Location: Romania

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby PeacemanNOT on Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:08 am

Like every year I'm going to over analyze this video and see mistakes or things left unnoticed:

INACCURACIES:

#1 - They've got the Cavs jersey colours wrong, for whatever reason 2K have always had a problem when it comes to getting red/orange colours correct. This can easily be fixed. The likelihood is won't be fixed considering these mistakes have been ignored in the past.

Image


#2 - The Mavericks icon accessories are incorrect. They should be the same colour as the dark navy, instead they're a light navy/blue:

Image


#3 - DeMarcus Cousins headband clips through his ear, it's also the wrong colour. It should be the same colour as the jersey but instead it's a lighter blue:

Image

#4 - The Pelicans association shorts have a wrong shade of blue and should be the same shade as the jersey above. As you can see jersey blue is darker, the shorts blue is lighter:

Image


NEEDED UPDATES:

#1 - Mike Conley hasn't had this haircut in three years. He needs an nappy afro, I think a new face scan is needed here:

Image

#2- Lowry is still wearing an arm pad, he hasn't worn this since the end of the 2015/2016 Season. You can also see Norman Powell's new face here:

Image

#3 - Chris Paul has had the same face since NBA 2K15. He has since got a different haircut, he's also grown out a beard:

Image

#4- Marcus Smart no longer has this mohawk/Odell Beckham Jr hair:

Image
User avatar
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor
 
Posts: 1970
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:02 am
Location: Ireland

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby Nick on Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:31 am

:lol: Some of ya'll will never be satisfied. :roll:

The lighting looks amazing. :drool:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Wow
User avatar
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor
 
Posts: 6520
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2002 9:01 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby buzzy on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:11 am

It was pretty fitting that they talked about re-doing every player's face from scratch, while showing Paul's, Butler's and Winslow's recycled cyberfaces
User avatar
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 4030
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:19 pm
Location: Vienna

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby PeacemanNOT on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:15 am

buzzy wrote:It was pretty fitting that they talked about re-doing every player's face from scratch, while showing Paul's, Butler's and Winslow's recycled cyberfaces

Yeah I found that amusing too :lol:
User avatar
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor
 
Posts: 1970
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:02 am
Location: Ireland

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby buzzy on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:17 am

Nick wrote::lol: Some of ya'll will never be satisfied. :roll:

The lighting looks amazing. :drool:


Wow

It's hit or miss for me. Most of those examples are probably with the pre game strobe lights and LED's and stuff.

This shot looks super flat for example
Image


In the end I'm not complaining though. There's only so much graphics can add to, or take away from a game. If I'm having fun playing 5 on 5 basketball I'm happy. Hope we get some raw gameplay soon.
User avatar
buzzy
Take it sleazy.
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 4030
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:19 pm
Location: Vienna

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby volsey on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:27 am

buzzy wrote:It was pretty fitting that they talked about re-doing every player's face from scratch, while showing Paul's, Butler's and Winslow's recycled cyberfaces


Not to mention when they say "added to the hair style options" they show the exact same ones and options as the last 5 years. Created player faces do look someone more natural though I'll givem that.
User avatar
volsey
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:19 am
Location: Canada

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby Nick on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:52 am

buzzy wrote:
Nick wrote::lol: Some of ya'll will never be satisfied. :roll:

The lighting looks amazing. :drool:


Wow

It's hit or miss for me. Most of those examples are probably with the pre game strobe lights and LED's and stuff.

This shot looks super flat for example
[ Image ]


In the end I'm not complaining though. There's only so much graphics can add to, or take away from a game. If I'm having fun playing 5 on 5 basketball I'm happy. Hope we get some raw gameplay soon.

That is true.

Spose we gotta see it in 5-on-5 broadcast view until we make any conclusions either way
User avatar
Nick
Barnsketball
Contributor
 
Posts: 6520
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2002 9:01 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby ThaLiveKing on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:57 am

Still skeptical, I'm not even buying this game until the 2nd week...and until I see free range game play videos on YouTube.
Youtube.com/ThaLiveKing
Website: ThaLiveKing.com
Twitter: @ThaLiveKing
Facebook.com/ThaLiveKing
User avatar
ThaLiveKing
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:17 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby PATRICK[game]97 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:30 am

Praise the Lord! They finally introduced a new face-creator. I can't believe this is really happening.
User avatar
PATRICK[game]97
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:46 pm

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby burnshroom on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:04 am

PeacemanNOT wrote:Like every year I'm going to over analyze this video and see mistakes or things left unnoticed:

INACCURACIES:

#1 - They've got the Cavs jersey colours wrong, for whatever reason 2K have always had a problem when it comes to getting red/orange colours correct. This can easily be fixed. The likelihood is won't be fixed considering these mistakes have been ignored in the past.

[ Image ]


#2 - The Mavericks icon accessories are incorrect. They should be the same colour as the dark navy, instead they're a light navy/blue:

[ Image ]

#3 - DeMarcus Cousins headband clips through his ear, it's also the wrong colour. It should be the same colour as the jersey but instead it's a lighter blue:

[ Image ]

#4 - The Pelicans association shorts have a wrong shade of blue and should be the same shade as the jersey above. As you can see jersey blue is darker, the shorts blue is lighter:

[ Image ]


NEEDED UPDATES:

#1 - Mike Conley hasn't had this haircut in three years. He needs an nappy afro, I think a new face scan is needed here:

[ Image ]

#2- Lowry is still wearing an arm pad, he hasn't worn this since the end of the 2015/2016 Season. You can also see Norman Powell's new face here:

[ Image ]

#3 - Chris Paul has had the same face since NBA 2K15. He has since got a different haircut, he's also grown out a beard:

[ Image ]

#4- Marcus Smart no longer has this mohawk/Odell Beckham Jr hair:

[ Image ]


I thought you were being nitpicky about Conley's hairline... but watching the 2K Livestream, and they mentioned reaching out to Conley for update pics to update it in game.
Image
User avatar
burnshroom
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:26 pm

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby PeacemanNOT on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:31 am

burnshroom wrote:I thought you were being nitpicky about Conley's hairline... but watching the 2K Livestream, and they mentioned reaching out to Conley for update pics to update it in game.

That's good to hear, but I wasn't being nitpicky man. I'm just pointing out inaccuracies/possible updates that could improve the game. Every bit of criticism makes the game better, I'm not complaining. If I was I would make a full on hate post about it.
User avatar
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor
 
Posts: 1970
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:02 am
Location: Ireland

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby TBM on Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:01 pm

buzzy wrote:This shot looks super flat for example
[ Image ]


Couldn't disagree more. IMO, the lighting in that shot is awesome.
Image
User avatar
TBM
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 3654
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:33 am

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby JBulls on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:03 pm

TBM wrote:
buzzy wrote:This shot looks super flat for example
[ Image ]


Couldn't disagree more. IMO, the lighting in that shot is awesome.


Way too dark imo
User avatar
JBulls
 
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:59 pm
Location: Durham, N.C.

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby Dommy73 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:57 pm

ThaLiveKing wrote:Still skeptical, I'm not even buying this game until the 2nd week...and until I see free range game play videos on YouTube.


That is very healthy attitude and not limited to NBA 2K of course.

As I've been thinking about starting to make some videos or maybe even livestream, what would be the point of emphasis on desired content besides general gameplay?
i7-6800K, 16GB @ 2400MHz CL14, 980 Ti Classy
Fedora 26 for everything meaningful, Windows 10 for games and video entertainment

ImageImageImage
User avatar
Dommy73
Making 2K16 newbs quit like Curry in the Finals
 
Posts: 1688
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:00 am

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby ThaLiveKing on Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:12 am

Dommy73 wrote:
ThaLiveKing wrote:Still skeptical, I'm not even buying this game until the 2nd week...and until I see free range game play videos on YouTube.


That is very healthy attitude and not limited to NBA 2K of course.

As I've been thinking about starting to make some videos or maybe even livestream, what would be the point of emphasis on desired content besides general gameplay?


You can always pick a mode and see how your content for that mode does. You need a niche to get started then expand your content. With 2K, I'm mainly a play now guy, but I haven't consistently liked their game for the last two years.
Youtube.com/ThaLiveKing
Website: ThaLiveKing.com
Twitter: @ThaLiveKing
Facebook.com/ThaLiveKing
User avatar
ThaLiveKing
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:17 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby initiald on Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:03 pm

Well looks good but I'm not going to jump the gun just yet until I see image of Tmac. That is the one player who I will judge if the 2k18 is any different from previous past. I hope the Tmac in 2k18 is not the same as before where it looks like 2K grab some guy on the street and tell him to be Tmac. :lol:
User avatar
initiald
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:31 pm

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby TGsoGood on Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:27 pm

When they show the create a player options, it honestly looks like a mobile app or low settings for the player model.

I'm predicting Myplayer customization from the app. Even looks like a tablet around the video when they edit the body proportions.
Consider donating: http://cash.me/$TheJohnsonFamily or http://paypal.me/4TheGoods
Follow me on twitter @TGsoGood
Check me out on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPydhZ ... PeRSmEVynQ
User avatar
TGsoGood
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 3139
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:03 am
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby sticky-fingers on Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:13 am

initiald wrote:Well looks good but I'm not going to jump the gun just yet until I see image of Tmac. That is the one player who I will judge if the 2k18 is any different from previous past. I hope the Tmac in 2k18 is not the same as before where it looks like 2K grab some guy on the street and tell him to be Tmac. :lol:

Don't you think 2K will use the same CF as 2k15/16/17 for the classic teams ? if they're inside ?
User avatar
sticky-fingers
 
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:33 am

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby m29a on Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:05 am

JBulls wrote:
TBM wrote:
buzzy wrote:This shot looks super flat for example
[ Image ]


Couldn't disagree more. IMO, the lighting in that shot is awesome.


Way too dark imo


I agree. I was always disappointed that they've moved away from the PS4/XB1 2K14 lighting which had nice bright reflections and lights, it just made the colors pop. The darkness feels flat.
User avatar
m29a
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:17 am

Re: 2K18 Dev Diary: The Art Behind NBA 2K18

Postby StyxTx on Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:39 am

buzzy wrote:2k17 was unplayable for me regardless of looks, so I'm not jumping the gun.


Exactly! They are talking about the art of the game. I don't care about the artistic part at all. As in the animal kingdom, the prettiest looking ones are usually the deadliest.

My issues are with the game play. For example, will mycareer be separated from the on-line stuff so each patch/update doesn't screw it up because they are trying to counteract the cheesers on-line? No, it won't be. For this reason alone, I won't be buying.

It can be the greatest looking game in history but if game play sucks I won't see the graphics anyway since I won't be playing.
User avatar
StyxTx
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:54 pm


Return to NBA 2K18

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests