Custom Shirts Being Removed in The Neighborhood

Talk about NBA 2K18 here.

Custom Shirts Being Removed in The Neighborhood

Postby Andrew on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:01 pm

Basically due to copyright concerns: https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/12/nba-2 ... rs-dismay/

In NBA 2K18, players can create custom shirts in myCareer mode, which can then be voted on by other players. These are purely cosmetic items that will show up on a player character in the myPark portion of the game, where players play three-on-three street basketball. If the shirt reaches 100 votes, the player who created it can sell it for the game's virtual currency, VC. Shirts initially went for 3500 VC, but last month 2K made all custom shirts free. You can buy 35,000 VC for $15. The problem is a lot of players are making shirts with copyrighted logos or mimicking real brands.

Players on Reddit and YouTube are saying that both shirts they have created and shirts they have purchased are being removed from their inventories. One player who reached out to Kotaku was able to get refunded for his shirts, but said that he only got 10,000 VC, the price of about three shirts, when he says he paid for 10 shirts total at 3500 VC each. You can earn VC by playing games or by purchasing it with real money, so losing VC is costly for either the player's time or wallet. 2K did not respond to a request to comment in time for publication.

It's understandable because it's basically a matter of covering themselves in case one of those brands kicks up a fuss. However, it's something that probably could've been better policed, and the fact that gamers are only getting token refunds on the VC they spent is lacking in goodwill. Of course, the fact that the shirts cost 3,500 VC in the first place was ridiculous, but at least they've made them free now. It's a small gesture in a game that's been far too miserly and exploitative with VC.

Unfortunately, this means Arcane's NBA Live 18 shirt won't be available. It did get the votes, but obviously it's been removed. On the plus side, he does have some NLSC shirts in the running, and we're fine with our logo being in the game.

I'd suggest this is also relevant to us given our modding community, and desire to see a more modder-friendly game. While the development team themselves might think mods are cool - I know a lot of NBA Live devs did back in the day - the higher ups are probably less pleased, and concerned about a re-skinned game causing problems when other people's intellectual property is used. We've seen assets like NCAA artwork and the like removed from community images, and I'd say it's one of the reasons why the team re-branding functionality isn't available outside of MyLEAGUE and MyGM. It'd make it very easy to completely customise the game, if so.

That being said, there's no reason we shouldn't keep asking for those features and expressing our interest in more customisation functionality. It's just worth keeping in mind that copyright issues are a concern for 2K, and may prove to be a barrier. Doesn't mean we can't ask, though.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
45? That's a bad luck number!
Administrator

Re: Custom Shirts Being Removed in The Neighborhood

Postby [Q] on Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:33 am

I think that the fact that VC has an actual monetary value and that it's possible someone could have purchased VC to buy shirts means players should get a full refund on all shirts purchased. Not to mention the time it takes to grind and get VC normally without buying it
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member

Re: Custom Shirts Being Removed in The Neighborhood

Postby Andrew on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:48 am

I definitely agree. Surely, there's some record of that on the user's account.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
Andrew
45? That's a bad luck number!
Administrator

Return to NBA 2K18