Let's talk about sliders...

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

Let's talk about sliders...

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:57 am

I posted this in the NBA 2K18 section as well. I've been thinking about this a lot.

Hi all,

Most every time a gameplay issue comes up, experienced players scramble frantically to find slider tweaks that will fix an issue. I personally mess with sliders a lot, I've been doing it for years and have my own sliders bases. Here is my problem with this..

About 99% of consumers and demo players will never lay a finger on the sliders. They will just select a difficulty level and play the game... that's it. Everybody I know outside of NLSC that plays basketball games won't touch the sliders. So while we will share ours in small groups on here, and potentially improve gameplay issues a little by making tweaks, it doesn't change the gameplay issue itself. That issue is still present to the vast majority of gamers

We go nuts on sliders, and it helps a select few... but I believe this also masks the real problem, or makes it seem not as big of an issue if the problem is curved slightly and we are happy with the improvement. Do you see how this could hurt the games development?

By the way, this isn't taking shots at anyone. I myself mess with the sliders a lot. I'm just trying to get a discussion going on sliders and how most people don't use them at all, and we need to keep that crowd in mind when we are discussing gameplay issues.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Re: Let's talk about sliders...

Postby ThaLiveKing on Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:30 am

Sliders are just another way to customize your gaming experience. People that don't touch sliders, usually go around looking to see what sliders get adjusted. Meanwhile the devs tune the game based on default sliders.
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:09 am

They are sometimes an underrated, underappreciated, and underused feature. However, aside from putting that knowledge out there for other people, it's also useful feedback for the developers, since they can further tune the game (now or in the future) according to the sliders that people seem to like the most. I'd like to see NBA Live bring back the slider presets and expand on them a little.

To that end, I'm looking to work on some sliders this year. It's been too long since I tried my hand at that kind of content to help out my fellow gamers.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:14 am

I agree with both if you, great points.

I think my focus was just more on the average gamer.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby StyxTx on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:42 am

The problem with sliders is that every time the developers re-tune the game, you have to spend a lot of time finding new slider adjustments. I stopped messing with sliders cuz I spent too much time adjusting to every new update/patch/tune (whatever you want to call them) and less time actually playing the game.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:50 pm

The other issue with sliders, as I noted in the NBA 2K18 topic, is that they don't apply to all modes. The team building and career modes (along with the connected online experiences) are very popular these days, and they don't provide the ability to tweak gameplay through sliders. That's probably why they're a bit overlooked. A lot of gamers have no use for them, mostly because they can't actually use them in their mode of choice, if their mode of choice happens to be MyTEAM/Ultimate Team, MyCAREER/The One, or the respective Pro-Am modes.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Izzy Snow on Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:49 pm

I used my own slider sets a lot in NBA Live 16 and the ones I shared online actually garnered likes to the point people were grateful that I came up with them to make their gaming experience better.

With that said, since I'm patiently waiting for a patch to fix some of the issues that have been brought up by the community including how teams don't play like their real-life counterpart and they seem to always just want to drive to the basket which is actually getting kind of annoying, I'll stick to grinding out these LUT challenges and sliders won't help that mode.
Izzy Snow

Postby ThaLiveKing on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:27 pm

StyxTx wrote:The problem with sliders is that every time the developers re-tune the game, you have to spend a lot of time finding new slider adjustments. I stopped messing with sliders cuz I spent too much time adjusting to every new update/patch/tune (whatever you want to call them) and less time actually playing the game.

They tune the game more than you know lol...its annoying TBH.
ThaLiveKing

Postby Izzy Snow on Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:27 am

ThaLiveKing wrote:
StyxTx wrote:The problem with sliders is that every time the developers re-tune the game, you have to spend a lot of time finding new slider adjustments. I stopped messing with sliders cuz I spent too much time adjusting to every new update/patch/tune (whatever you want to call them) and less time actually playing the game.

You know I was wondering if they did that because last weekend I noticed more fouls being called in the paint in my LUT games which I welcomed then the last few days during my brutal grind I noticed less fouls being called. So strange!
Izzy Snow

Postby [Q] on Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:41 am

After the patch, the game seemed to play a bit slower so I bumped up the speed from 80 to 85 and that seemed better. Probably going to up free throws cuz I'm like Rondo shooting 60% as a pg
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:43 am

[Q] wrote:After the patch, the game seemed to play a bit slower so I bumped up the speed from 80 to 85 and that seemed better. Probably going to up free throws cuz I'm like Rondo shooting 60% as a pg

I play on game speed 95 now.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:12 pm

Izzy Snow wrote:
ThaLiveKing wrote:

You know I was wondering if they did that because last weekend I noticed more fouls being called in the paint in my LUT games which I welcomed then the last few days during my brutal grind I noticed less fouls being called. So strange!

The game was unplayable yesterday, today is a bit better, man they need a patch real soon
ThaLiveKing

Postby mp3 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:52 pm

Yeah I played a few quick games yesterday and I couldn't hit any form of jumpshot but had about 10 put back dunks, not the most enjoyable game I've had before.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby StyxTx on Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:02 am

ThaLiveKing wrote:

I know. In the past I've seen differences in game play from day to day. Play a game, come back a few days later, things are different. It does make me wonder if they know what they are doing though.
StyxTx

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:08 am

The excessive tuning of games and patching really hurts the user experience. One thing I am glad I was around for, was the consistency of the older basketball games that were not patched or tuned. I could pick up the game and know what I was getting into, and just enjoy the experience.

Now, we cringe when we see the game updating, and we constantly question on court happenings based on what we know or don't know might have been tweaked by the developers.

I am really glad I backed up my .EXE for 2K17... I can literally have the same gameplay all the time, I know what to expect from the game. Obviously I can't do that with Live, and I feel bad for the console users who have no choice but to go with any changes that the developers made.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:45 am

It's a mixed bag. There were issues that we just had to live with back in the day, because we were usually lucky if we got one patch. The fine tuning can sometimes cause more damage, though.

I remember the second patch for NBA Live 10 messed a lot of things up, and sadly, it was the last update. At least these days, there'd be the potential to resolve it, but back then, it was one or two patches and that was it.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby albertdwayne on Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:46 pm

Anyone here has an idea on how i can make a gameslider table for NBA 2k using cheat engine? since the other tables are not complete?
albertdwayne

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:55 pm

That'd be something to ask in the NBA 2K18 Modding section, not here.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 18