Inside game over-focus

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

Inside game over-focus

Postby StyxTx on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:34 am

One thing I've noticed in The One is how much focus is put into the inside offense. It's really hard to get an assist since every time you throw it inside, or close, the player does a back down. Many times when you throw it to someone open, or fairly open, on the outside the want to drive the basket. When playing Golden State their 3-point shot attempt total for the game was really low. Curry and Thompson spent most of the game driving the basket. Is there some setting to fix this?

Another thing, there are still no injuries in games that are played out? I have injuries turned on but haven't seen a single injury in any of the games I've played.

Foul calls are pretty few in played out games, especially compared to real life. My team averages 10 fouls a game. In real life most teams average at least twice that many. In the game, all teams average close to 20/game except us. I have fouls set to maximum but it doesn't matter.

I enjoy the game for the most part but being primarily a play making point guard, the inability to get assists annoys me.
StyxTx

Re: Inside game over-focus

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:50 am

It's an issue across all modes. Definitely too many players trying to take it inside and not enough three-point attempts, and not just due to defensive errors. Tendencies and team strategies are a bit off. Hopefully some roster updates and tuning fixes can adjust that.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:11 am

I can't stop Brook Lopez or Eric Bledsoe in Live. They get into the paint and score every time. CPU shot contests are OP too, and your shot contests compared to the CPU is nerfed. Unbalanced game play overall. only time they let up is when there's about a minute left and you can start making shots.
ThaLiveKing

Postby [Q] on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:18 pm

Yes I agree with thaliveking, shot contests are unbalanced between CPU and human players but assists are fairly easy to get for me as a defensive pg. I just run pick and roll and hit the roll man for a layup. Works most of the time

Also I think the injuries on/off option are for simulated games. They haven't had actual in game injuries in forever
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:53 pm

I'm guessing that's the case. It's something they need to bring back.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:58 am

I slowed down the game play, and put the sliders back to default, and you can really see how unbalanced the game is vs the CPU. I beat them last night, while they shot 52% I shot about 36% and still won, I kept it close, and got stops when needed. It was a frustrating game, but it was a satisfying win.
ThaLiveKing

Postby Beavis_5000 on Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:48 am

ThaLiveKing wrote:I can't stop Brook Lopez or Eric Bledsoe in Live. They get into the paint and score every time. CPU shot contests are OP too, and your shot contests compared to the CPU is nerfed. Unbalanced game play overall. only time they let up is when there's about a minute left and you can start making shots.

I haven't played anything besides Live Run and a few My League games so I may not be a good one to speak on this topic but have you tried messing with your match ups and double teaming Lopez or Bledsoe?

In any past Live, anytime I have had trouble with a post player I will send a double team and/or adjust the defensive pressure and it shuts them down. Even on H2H.

I will have to get a season or two in on My Franchise and some H2H in so I can get a better idea of how the game plays though.
Beavis_5000

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:43 am

It can help a little, but it's more about the CPU looking to always drive, even with players who pick their spots and should be taking more threes.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:01 pm

Andrew wrote:It can help a little, but it's more about the CPU looking to always drive, even with players who pick their spots and should be taking more threes.

CPU Tendencies are tied to the sliders some how. I'm trying to figure out which slider is affecting the CPU constantly going into the paint. While experimenting I had the CPU constantly pulling up for threes, like they would be wide going to the basket but would end up at the three point line jacking it up. It's crazy. I know it's one of the shooting sliders that's the problem, I'm trying to figure out which one it is.
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:12 pm

Interesting. Would definitely be good to find a solution there, and pass that information on to EA for tuning in The One and LUT.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:47 pm

Gamespeed affects players driving, to fast and the cpu tries to score right away
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:18 am

Andrew wrote:Interesting. Would definitely be good to find a solution there, and pass that information on to EA for tuning in The One and LUT.

Here's a game I just played, this is the CPU's shot chart. I had to win this game in Over Time.

These are the sliders if anyone wants to try them.

Inside shooting: 60/30
Med Range: 60
Three-point shooting: 50
Free throw: 50
Post shooting: 50
Lay up: 100
Post move: 90
Dunk Frequency: 90
Reach in Fouls: 0/10*
Jump Shot Fouls: 50
Post Shot Fouls: 50
Lay Up Fouls: 50
Dunk Fouls: 50
Offensive Air: 100
Offensive Ground: 100
Defensive Air: 100
Defensive Ground: 100
Steal Success: 50
Alley-Oop: 50
Shots off Dribble: 100
Shot Contest: 80
Shot Blocking: 60
Offensive Rebounding: 10/0
Off-Ball Push: 100
Off-Ball Jostle: 100
Jostle vs Blow-by: 50
Dribble Move: 50

I have reach in fouls set a 0 because I hate the automatic bailouts. If you reach wrong, you get beat. I'd rather have that as a consequence
ThaLiveKing

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:20 am

mp3 wrote:Gamespeed affects players driving, to fast and the cpu tries to score right away

I have it set at 81, I think it's fine at that speed, not sure how people play on 90 speed
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:47 am

I'll check them out. (Y)

I'd say people got used to playing on higher speeds as it felt better in the demo and before some of the recent patches. Probably no longer the case.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:50 pm

I prefer a slower pace myself, otherwise the it turns into the allstar game.

Post patch the cpu is shooting a lot more 3's then they did before.
mp3

Postby StyxTx on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:04 am

Yeah, so, I just got done playing the first quarter between the Spurs and Bulls. Before the game I decided to get out a pen and paper to keep track of inside and outside shots.

The One, all-star level. Game speed: 80.

After the first quarter, a total of 43 shots were taken between the two teams. Of those, only 3 were not drives or inside shots. 3 out of 42. I'm not talking 3 missed outside shots. I'm talking total shot attempts. Of those three, two were only because the shot clock was down to 1 second. So 1 outside shot in the entire quarter was a decision by the AI to make.

There were quite a few open outside shots to be had but the choice was to drive the basket instead. The good thing about it was I didn't have to bother to play defense on the outside because if I left my man all alone, he still would not shoot from out there.

This is really quite bad.

Ok, so after the first half, we now have 11 shot attempts that are not drives or inside shots in 91 total shots attempted. Not sure if I should count the one attempt that was thrown up with 1/2 second left in the half. I slowed the speed down to 70 for the 2nd qtr.
StyxTx

Postby Dee4Three on Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:46 am

StyxTx wrote:Yeah, so, I just got done playing the first quarter between the Spurs and Bulls. Before the game I decided to get out a pen and paper to keep track of inside and outside shots.

The One, all-star level. Game speed: 80.

After the first quarter, a total of 43 shots were taken between the two teams. Of those, only 3 were not drives or inside shots. 3 out of 42. I'm not talking 3 missed outside shots. I'm talking total shot attempts. Of those three, two were only because the shot clock was down to 1 second. So 1 outside shot in the entire quarter was a decision by the AI to make.

There were quite a few open outside shots to be had but the choice was to drive the basket instead. The good thing about it was I didn't have to bother to play defense on the outside because if I left my man all alone, he still would not shoot from out there.

This is really quite bad.

Ok, so after the first half, we now have 11 shot attempts that are not drives or inside shots in 91 total shots attempted. Not sure if I should count the one attempt that was thrown up with 1/2 second left in the half. I slowed the speed down to 70 for the 2nd qtr.

Yikes
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby mp3 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:55 am

Since the patch my gameplay has being the opposite as the videos in the patch thread shows both teams I played against shot at least 10 3's each quarter
mp3

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:50 am

I've noticed a few more threes as well, though I'd still like to see greater differentiation.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:49 am

mp3 wrote:Since the patch my gameplay has being the opposite as the videos in the patch thread shows both teams I played against shot at least 10 3's each quarter

I must not have gotten the patch then because I think it's awful how few outside shots are taken.

Of the outside shots, 2 were 3-pointers...both with time running out on the clock.

I haven't noticed if there are sliders that can be adjusted in The One, but if not, that is an issue in and of itself.
StyxTx

Postby mp3 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:01 pm

I wonder if the problem still lies with The One? I played some more quick games with the cpu and again the teams I was playing against were bombing away from downtown, maybe even a little to much at times
mp3

Postby Andrew on Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:11 pm

Yeah, I've noticed a difference in Play Now, and to a lesser extent, Ultimate Team. Any games already in progress - be they Franchise or The One - may be out of luck.

That's one of the problems with the early release dates for both games. You want to get an early start on the career and franchise modes (especially the career modes), but if those early rosters have issues, you're stuck with them unless you want to start over, which can be painful to the point of being virtually unfeasible.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:26 am

I'm already a couple years deep in The One, and am noticing quite a bit of generated players but also seeing odd things like players still on their original team but with different numbers. I played the spurs and Parker and mills wore numbers like 38 or 47
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:58 am

There may be an issue with new players forcing ones on the team to change their number, instead of the other way around. I joined the Bulls with #45, forcing Valentine to pick a new number.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby KwameHameHa on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:47 pm

This and the amount of standing around by your teamates and the AI has really hurt my enjoyment if the game....it just feels so bland. I hope thus chnages with Synergy.
KwameHameHa

Next

Return to NBA Live 18