IGN's Review of NBA Live 18

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

IGN's Review of NBA Live 18

Postby Izzy Snow on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:53 am

There's a debate going on in my Twitter feed because of how I disagreed with the reviewer. In my honest opinion, the review which I watched, listened to, and read, was poorly done and was more a review of the games' modes and features rather than putting more focus on the actual gameplay and it's many improvements instead.

I understand it was a different reviewer than the one that did the Live 16 review of which got a 6.0. But to me, a half point increase after a 2 year development cycle and the reviewer not even acknowledging the games' improved post play, controls, the many new animations, and the incredibly unique and fun 1v1 mechanic, is a disservice to the people that worked on the game. To put it quite simply, it was a slap in the face.

Also, the reviewer complained about losing the ball too many times. That rarely happens to me and when it does, I know it's because I spammed the turbo button and usually only happens when I do a spin move at the wrong moment or opportunity.

Lastly, the comment about the transition game. While not perfect, it is there! I don't have to explain how because I trust the people here know how to play the game properly and are able to execute a successful transition offense without "bumping into a defender" and coming into a complete stop.

Anyway, would love to hear everyone else's thoughts on this. I feel I've been mature, reasonable and gave a thoughtful and respectful rebuttal on why I disagree with the reviewer. I know scores aren't everything but to the casual gamers and soccer moms/dads, that score is everything. I can just see a kid now seeing the score. "Oh that game is trash bruh!" Such a shame.
Izzy Snow

Re: IGN's Review of NBA Live 18

Postby [Q] on Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:29 am

I've said before that "reviews" from sites are simply one person's opinion. They're paid for doing their article whether they're objective or truthful or not. Most of them admit they don't even like that kind of game and certainly don't know how to play the right way. Took me a week or two before I really understood how to play Live. I don't read those sort of things, as i find reviews from people that actually play the game more useful
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Izzy Snow on Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:36 am

[Q] wrote:I've said before that "reviews" from sites are simply one person's opinion. They're paid for doing their article whether they're objective or truthful or not. Most of them admit they don't even like that kind of game and certainly don't know how to play the right way. Took me a week or two before I really understood how to play Live. I don't read those sort of things, as i find reviews from people that actually play the game more useful

Right and as I've said, the more hardcore gamers would know to form their own opinion based on user reviews and/or through trial. But again, most casuals don't do that and they'll see IGN's score and also Forbes' score and base their decision on that.
Izzy Snow

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:24 am

Losing the ball a lot is a 2K thing...

Just like getting blocked by PGs is a 2K thing...
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:25 am

People talk about Live being given a pass, and perhaps sometimes it is, because rebuilding franchises do get held to a lower standard in some respects. At the same time, I think 2K gets a lot of passes for legacy issues, and in particular, the aggressive approach to VC this year.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:00 pm

[Q] wrote:I've said before that "reviews" from sites are simply one person's opinion. They're paid for doing their article whether they're objective or truthful or not. Most of them admit they don't even like that kind of game and certainly don't know how to play the right way. Took me a week or two before I really understood how to play Live. I don't read those sort of things, as i find reviews from people that actually play the game more useful

Agree 100%
StyxTx

Postby Izzy Snow on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:12 pm

Andrew wrote:People talk about Live being given a pass, and perhaps sometimes it is, because rebuilding franchises do get held to a lower standard in some respects. At the same time, I think 2K gets a lot of passes for legacy issues, and in particular, the aggressive approach to VC this year.

Not just the VC greed but also people losing their VC/MyCareer players and the clipping which is worse than Live 18.
Izzy Snow

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:53 pm

And again, I'm not a fan of numerical scores in general, or the Metacritic approach. Unfortunately, it's not going anywhere.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:57 pm

And, politics also play a part. I prefer watching reviews from regular people who don't have a quota, people who don't have financial motive.
Last edited by Dee4Three on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby [Q] on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:49 am

Yeah that's why I was a bit skeptical of those videos of the EA event where those youtubers were flown out and given the red carpet treatment. Took it with a grain of salt.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby ThaLiveKing on Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:51 am

Izzy Snow wrote:
Andrew wrote:People talk about Live being given a pass, and perhaps sometimes it is, because rebuilding franchises do get held to a lower standard in some respects. At the same time, I think 2K gets a lot of passes for legacy issues, and in particular, the aggressive approach to VC this year.

Not just the VC greed but also people losing their VC/MyCareer players and the clipping which is worse than Live 18.

I rely on collisions so much, that I can't even play 2K18..The way they have the shot meter is reversed, the FT shot meter should be for the jump shot and vice versa.
ThaLiveKing

Postby mp3 on Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:31 pm

The only reviews I pay attention too are the ones in the "got the game" threads, Ive always found game site reviews are written most of time by some Minecraft player.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Izzy Snow on Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:23 am

ThaLiveKing wrote:
Izzy Snow wrote:

I rely on collisions so much, that I can't even play 2K18..The way they have the shot meter is reversed, the FT shot meter should be for the jump shot and vice versa.

Yeah I don't like that even the slightest bump whether I'm on offense or defense can result in a loose ball/steal.
Izzy Snow

Postby Izzy Snow on Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:23 am

mp3 wrote:The only reviews I pay attention too are the ones in the "got the game" threads, Ive always found game site reviews are written most of time by some Minecraft player.

Most of us here do. But again, soccer moms/dads don't.
Izzy Snow

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:43 am

Unfortunately, while NLSC is my home and I love this place, it doesn't have the popularity of Operations Sports, and other sites that talk about this stuff. I've gone on those sites, and I think the best feedback/ideas/views are on here, also for the most part unbiased. We have a lot of experienced basketball gamers here who constructively discuss the games.

I wish we had more of a viewer base, honestly.
Last edited by Dee4Three on Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:24 am

For what it's worth, I've passed on the links to our feedback and bug report threads, and EA are keeping tabs on them. For those of us who are willing to give feedback and engage in conversation about the game, I guess it's up to us to set an example and keep talking about the game. As I've said before, we still get the same traffic, but people aren't as talkative as they used to be.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:29 am

Andrew wrote:For what it's worth, I've passed on the links to our feedback and bug report threads, and EA are keeping tabs on them. For those of us who are willing to give feedback and engage in conversation about the game, I guess it's up to us to set an example and keep talking about the game. As I've said before, we still get the same traffic, but people aren't as talkative as they used to be.

I wonder why that is?

Personally, I think if Live came to PC, that section would boom with popularity here on NLSC. Not only would it attract a slew of mods, but it would also generate more attention in general which would create more conversation.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Izzy Snow on Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:44 am

Dee4Three wrote:
Andrew wrote:For what it's worth, I've passed on the links to our feedback and bug report threads, and EA are keeping tabs on them. For those of us who are willing to give feedback and engage in conversation about the game, I guess it's up to us to set an example and keep talking about the game. As I've said before, we still get the same traffic, but people aren't as talkative as they used to be.

I wonder why that is?

Personally, I think if Live came to PC, that section would boom with popularity here on NLSC. Not only would it attract a slew of mods, but it would also generate more attention in general which would create more conversation.

I will gladly double-dip if Live ever returned to PC. OMG I can't even imagine in Ultrawide.

I'm with you though. I also wish people engaged more in convos in here.
Izzy Snow

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:11 am

I think the the console-only status is a big factor. We've always been a modding community with a heavy emphasis on PC, so without that aspect, some of the interest has gone over to 2K. Apart from that, it is a little strange. Perhaps people are too focused on modding to talk gameplay? Not to say we shouldn't support modding as that's always going to be a big part of what we do here, but I would like to see us also talking about the game, throwing out ideas and suggestions, and sharing our experiences.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby mp3 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:20 am

Who's sorting the rosters this year?
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Dee4Three on Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:28 am

Andrew wrote:I think the the console-only status is a big factor. We've always been a modding community with a heavy emphasis on PC, so without that aspect, some of the interest has gone over to 2K. Apart from that, it is a little strange. Perhaps people are too focused on modding to talk gameplay? Not to say we shouldn't support modding as that's always going to be a big part of what we do here, but I would like to see us also talking about the game, throwing out ideas and suggestions, and sharing our experiences.

I try to get heavily involved in both aspects, because gameplay is so important. We have to discuss the good things about the games as well as the shortcomings gameplay wise.

Follow me on Twitter

Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:38 am

Absolutely. As I said, I think a few of us passionate, enthusiastic veterans can set a good example here. (Y)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Izzy Snow on Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:57 am

mp3 wrote:Who's sorting the rosters this year?

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's Cornell Gunter @EACornellG.
Izzy Snow

Return to NBA Live 18