Live Ultimate Team - How is your team doing?

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

Re: Live Ultimate Team - How is your team doing?

Postby RayRay_953 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:09 am

The key is practicing the shot meter, and not forcing three pointers. Even the best of shooters can brick if the shot is contested. Play the Shootaround mode for a bit to get a feel for the basic jumpshot, and take players who have different jumpshots, and practice with them as well.

Congratulations on getting Sonics Kemp by the way! How is playing with Ray Allen? I wanted to get him a while back, but I chose John Starks instead because he was cheaper.
RayRay_953

Postby RayRay_953 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:16 am

Forgot to post this, but here's my lineup composed of every Elite Hero card in the game (and yes, that's still my Trial Harden card :cool:)

That's how you know I've been grinding like crazy on this mode
RayRay_953

Postby Andrew on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:40 am

An impressive effort, no doubt!
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby matmat66 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:27 pm

Hi shinron, Allen is good for me. He has a high 3 pt. rating and can also slash to the basket and dunk. The Penny Hardaway that I have doesn't dunk. Only occasionally when alone on fastbreak.
matmat66

Postby RayRay_953 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:16 am

Yeah, Penny doesn't dunk for whatever reason. If you want somebody at the point who can dunk, I'd recommend Spud Webb, or complete the NBA Hero Challenge to unlock an 88 overall Westbrook.

On a side note, it would be cool if the All-Star events have better versions of the current players. Having legends is cool and all, but since they're rated so high, as well as being the top tier cards in the game, it makes the modern players impractical once you start building legends to your team (except Hero/ToTW Giannis and Christmas/ToTW LeBron). The Master Challenges are a nice element for the current players, but they're only 90 overall cards, compare that to the recent legends released averaging from the 88-95 overall range. As much as a retro fan that I am, I think it would be cool running a lineup composed of current NBA greats with overalls around the 90-94 overall range, as well as my legends to really capture the definition of "Ultimate Team."
RayRay_953

Postby [Q] on Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:47 am

Yes, I agree the legends are a bit overrated and regular players a bit underrated. Like how is Rony Seikaly rated higher than some of the current NBA Players. My Xmas Redick was great until i got Master Curry. But I might start playing Rice over Master Curry now.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:39 am

I think there needs to be more special edition cards, like 2K's Moments cards. Some of them are probably a little overrated as well, but there's more parity with the historical players.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby RayRay_953 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:58 am

I know NBA Live Mobile has Historical versions of current players like 91 OVR Dwayne Wade, 93 OVR Vince Carter, 93 OVR Derrick Rose, etc. Those would be cool to see in Ultimate Team.
RayRay_953

Postby Andrew on Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:06 am

Agreed. They were in NBA Live 16, too.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby RayRay_953 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:12 pm

First Master Challenge cleared!

Went for Magic since I already had 3 Slasher players, and even though he's not the best Master player, it's still cool to have him on my team.

RayRay_953

Postby RayRay_953 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:04 am

So I actually got to experience Superstar difficulty in Ultimate Team, and it's relentless. The AI becomes psychic in stealing, meaning that nearly half the passes you take are turnovers, and it's nearly impossible to finish at the basket without being stuffed unless you use the Pick and Roll. Ironically, it's easier to get blocks on the harder difficulties imo; Giannis had 5 blocks in one of the Masters games.

On the positive side, I managed to pull through, and earned Pistol Pete.

RayRay_953

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:06 am

Sounds like a fitting reward for making it through that challenge.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby RayRay_953 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:14 am

Most certainly. On Maravich's Master challenge, you play legends currently not available. I've played against a combination of the '00 and current Raptors, the early 60's Celtics legends, the early 70's Lakers legends, and the 70's Knicks. Only problem is that you need 9 Playmaker players on your team, as well as the East and West Heroes, which only leaves you one free choice.

The Lakers were unsurprisingly the worst to face of the bunch. Chamberlain is basically intangible inside the paint, West knocks down threes from anywhere, Baylor plays like a jack-of-all, and Brook Lopez shuts me down inside. Lakers averaged 15 points a quarter against me, and I was only able to win by five.
RayRay_953

Postby [Q] on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:36 pm

I enjoy the difficulty and challenge of the limitations of the master challenges. While I do appreciate the ease of most of the challenges for those that just started, needing to assemble a specific team is actually quite fun and you have to start collecting cards
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:43 pm

I picked up George Gervin from the Auction House for 15,000 coins, thereby completing the GM Checklist item of buying a play 90 Overall or better. Needless to say, he should be an upgrade on Tim Hardaway Jr. Meanwhile, Scottie Pippen is just a lot of fun to play with, especially now they've fixed his dunk package. This is definitely more Pippen-like:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby RayRay_953 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:20 pm

That shows the difference between having a high finishing rating, and with the addition of being able to dunk. Even if a player has a lower finishing rating, but can dunk, he's viable to use.

Gervin's no slouch either. Since he also has a 98 finishing rating, he can dunk over the competition as well. His 99 dribbling also makes it easy to protect the ball, and the ability to perform safe crossovers.

Also, both players were teammates with Jordan :P
RayRay_953

Postby Andrew on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:31 pm

It's as close as I'm going to get to having MJ in LUT. ;)
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby matmat66 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:35 pm

shinron15 wrote:First Master Challenge cleared!

[ Image ]

Went for Magic since I already had 3 Slasher players, and even though he's not the best Master player, it's still cool to have him on my team.

[ Image ]

How's Magic as compared to Isiah Thomas, Penny Hardaway or Gary Payton? Thanks brother.
matmat66

Postby RayRay_953 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:55 pm

Compared to each? From what I've played with two of them (and seeing gameplay of Thomas), here's how I can break it down:

Payton vs Magic: Payton is faster and has better defensive skills, while Magic has better playmaking, and post skills, which creates mismatches for most guards in the game. If you're focusing on defense, I'd start Gary over Magic, but if you want a guard with a solid post-game, Magic's your man.

Penny vs Magic: Hardaway is good at finishing, however he cannot dunk, but he does have the best dribbling in the game. Magic has great dribbling, as well as the ability to dunk on a Fast Break transition. Dunking can make a difference to players at times (look at pre-patch Pippen compared to now; he plays much better now that he can dunk)

Thomas vs Magic: Thomas is faster, and has a good defensive rating (90), but compare his stats to Payton's, and Payton is the better option there. Magic somehow has a higher three point rating than Thomas. Plus with Magic's ability to basically be able to play any position on the offensive end, he's more useful than Thomas in that aspect.

Magic is a free card to get, so that's a plus, but you need to complete all the League Heroes challenges, have Hero Giannis and Davis, as well as three Slasher Playstyle players (legends also count) on your active lineup, and win the ten games to unlock him. Hope this helps (y)
RayRay_953

Postby matmat66 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:12 pm

shinron15 wrote:Compared to each? From what I've played with two of them (and seeing gameplay of Thomas), here's how I can break it down:

Payton vs Magic: Payton is faster and has better defensive skills, while Magic has better playmaking, and post skills, which creates mismatches for most guards in the game. If you're focusing on defense, I'd start Gary over Magic, but if you want a guard with a solid post-game, Magic's your man.

Penny vs Magic: Hardaway is good at finishing, however he cannot dunk, but he does have the best dribbling in the game. Magic has great dribbling, as well as the ability to dunk on a Fast Break transition. Dunking can make a difference to players at times (look at pre-patch Pippen compared to now; he plays much better now that he can dunk)

Thomas vs Magic: Thomas is faster, and has a good defensive rating (90), but compare his stats to Payton's, and Payton is the better option there. Magic somehow has a higher three point rating than Thomas. Plus with Magic's ability to basically be able to play any position on the offensive end, he's more useful than Thomas in that aspect.

Magic is a free card to get, so that's a plus, but you need to complete all the League Heroes challenges, have Hero Giannis and Davis, as well as three Slasher Playstyle players (legends also count) on your active lineup, and win the ten games to unlock him. Hope this helps (y)

Thanks for the detailed explanation shinron! I have checked the requirements for the legend masters and they can be cumbersome. I have only started the team heroes and I have only finished 2, New Jersey and Milwaukee. I will have to collect more cards since I will need current players if I want to get the hero of each team. Thanks again brother.
matmat66

Postby matmat66 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:14 pm

Another question bro. Do you have Larry Johnson in your team? If you have, can you also make a comparison with the other power forwards like Kemp, KG, Horace Grant. I am thinking of getting him in auction. Thanks again bro.
matmat66

Postby zzcoolj21 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:12 am

Had a look back at my team in past LUT's and my squad this year is already looking good compared to my end of year teams in the former games.

But I also look back at LUT16 and the content even early in the year was amazing. These are all of the cards that were out by this time 2 years ago.

zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby Andrew on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:59 am

My LUT squad in NBA Live 15 has been my favourite so far:

No Pippen on that team, though.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby zzcoolj21 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:48 am

zzcoolj21

Postby zzcoolj21 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:55 am

First pack. I don't know what direction to take my team now.
zzcoolj21

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Live 18