NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby Izzy Snow on Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:52 am

Izzy Snow
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby [Q] on Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:30 am

Nice! I stopped playing because I was tired of grinding against superstar teams for boxes. I prefer live Run anyways so I'll be back on it to see the changes

I pre-ordered from best buy last night
Image
User avatar
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 12029
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:20 am
Location: Westside, the best side

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby Izzy Snow on Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:53 am

[Q] wrote:Nice! I stopped playing because I was tired of grinding against superstar teams for boxes. I prefer live Run anyways so I'll be back on it to see the changes

I pre-ordered from best buy last night


I'm the opposite. I enjoy playing Play Now and more look forward to playing The One/League mode and I'm still holding on to hope that Franchise mode gets some much needed love. I can live w/o roster editing but I obviously would like to see that for the NLSC community.

I also preordered from BB using GCU :headbang:
Izzy Snow
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:29 am

Also from Toneh on Twitter:

Image
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Image
Contact: Email | Twitter
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube


Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Image
Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
User avatar
Andrew
That's a bad luck number.
Administrator
 
Posts: 101830
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:51 pm
Location: Australia

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby [Q] on Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:34 pm

Played some earlier and low loose balls are slightly better, but the the ones that bounce off the ground still suck. they at least try to go for the ball, but still dont really get it right. There are slightly less blocks but you can still get those. This idiot on my team kept trying to dribble everywhere and kept losing the ball, so that's confirmed. Contested layups also working better as my team seriously missed like 10 layups in a row that would've gone in before. Also I had one guy who kept trying to pass out of a shot and he'd throw the ball out of bounds every time. Seems like playing good defense is causing a few more turnovers. Setting picks is way better as it's turning your guy the right way now. The game overall plays a lot better
Image
User avatar
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 12029
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:20 am
Location: Westside, the best side

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby StyxTx on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:39 pm

I haven't played with the latest updates, but if layups aren't a gimme anymore that is an improvement. Maybe I won't be shooting 75% overall any more. That was one of my issues and one I tested with the demo. If I could make all my layups so could the AI players which is why in the previous version we had a TEAM shooting pct of 65%. It was crazy and no amount of suspension of disbelief could overcome that.
User avatar
StyxTx
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:54 pm

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby Izzy Snow on Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:26 pm

I played only a few games of Play Now and I tried to replicate the one issue I made a video about regarding a clipping player (Casspi) defending down the post behind Jeff Green and Casspi made the steal but at expense of clipping through Green. Anyway, I've taken that and other "issue" type vids down and if I stumble upon a glitch or issue, I will just make them private or unlisted and send only to the devs directly. With that said, it seems they've fixed this issue as it only happened once after many tries.

I did run to another weird glitch that I've already shared with one of the devs. Hopefully they can address that before release (14 days!). Overall though, the game is still as fun to play as it was before the update.
Izzy Snow
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:04 pm

I've been growing wearing of the Cavs and Warriors, I'm ready for the full game. Less than two weeks away
Youtube.com/ThaLiveKing
Website: ThaLiveKing.com
Twitter: @ThaLiveKing
Facebook.com/ThaLiveKing
User avatar
ThaLiveKing
 
Posts: 2120
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:17 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby [Q] on Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:59 pm

Played a ton today trying to get that Nike crate and saw lots of bad pass turnovers, missed layups, and even a few airballs which was interesting
You have to be really careful with passing now and have to be a bit more creative on finding shots inside, which are a lot harder to hit. It might be just me, but jumpshots do look a bit better as well.
Image
User avatar
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 12029
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:20 am
Location: Westside, the best side

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:39 am

New patch has gone live, including updated rosters. The Rockets and Celtics are now also playable!
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Image
Contact: Email | Twitter
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube


Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Image
Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
User avatar
Andrew
That's a bad luck number.
Administrator
 
Posts: 101830
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:51 pm
Location: Australia

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:07 am

Some screenshots:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Image
Contact: Email | Twitter
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube


Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Image
Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
User avatar
Andrew
That's a bad luck number.
Administrator
 
Posts: 101830
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:51 pm
Location: Australia

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby [Q] on Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:40 am

Nice, I'll definitely be testing out the rockets

EA pleasantly surprising me with all these demo updates. They are working hard for sure
Image
User avatar
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 12029
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:20 am
Location: Westside, the best side

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby Izzy Snow on Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:43 am

I think that it's safe to say that we've been playing an open beta rather than a demo which I totally welcome. EA is really listening to the feedback as well. I mentioned this in my stream the other night that I would be fine with the game getting constant updates after release as long as it only improves and doesn't break anything else in the process. I'm glad this week was a short week. I'm ready for EA Access Friday!
Izzy Snow
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby ThaLiveKing on Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:56 am

Izzy Snow wrote:I think that it's safe to say that we've been playing an open beta rather than a demo which I totally welcome. EA is really listening to the feedback as well. I mentioned this in my stream the other night that I would be fine with the game getting constant updates after release as long as it only improves and doesn't break anything else in the process. I'm glad this week was a short week. I'm ready for EA Access Friday!


Yeah, I can't wait to use my Pacers lol
Youtube.com/ThaLiveKing
Website: ThaLiveKing.com
Twitter: @ThaLiveKing
Facebook.com/ThaLiveKing
User avatar
ThaLiveKing
 
Posts: 2120
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:17 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby StyxTx on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:30 am

Kyrie and Thomas look so out of place. lol
User avatar
StyxTx
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:54 pm

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby Dee4Three on Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:10 pm

Ive been playing Rockets vs Celtics all night. A few observations

1. Jaylen Brown is missing his flat top, he looks so strange.
2. Post over the top passes work 0% of the time, which was a problem with NBA 2K14. I had Horford sealing his man completely and calling for the over the top (this happened many, many times) and the pass would always be short and stolen. Frustrating because its obvious he has great position. The people entering it were always either Irving or Hayward.
3. Its far too easy to score inside and on drives. Double teamed, triple teamed, doesn't matter. And I play on Superstar.
4. Ryan Anderson plays like Dominique Wilkins in this game. He is flying around the basket with athletic moves.
5. The stopping to shoot issues still exist (animation issues).

Still excited to play Ultimate Team, but those of you who are giving feedback to EA should mention the gameplay issues above.

And Jaylen Browns missing flat top.....
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 5339
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby Izzy Snow on Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:35 pm

ThaLiveKing wrote:
Izzy Snow wrote:I think that it's safe to say that we've been playing an open beta rather than a demo which I totally welcome. EA is really listening to the feedback as well. I mentioned this in my stream the other night that I would be fine with the game getting constant updates after release as long as it only improves and doesn't break anything else in the process. I'm glad this week was a short week. I'm ready for EA Access Friday!


Yeah, I can't wait to use my Pacers lol


You already know! John Waaaaaaaaalllllll!!! LOL!
Izzy Snow
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby ThaLiveKing on Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:39 pm

Dee4Three wrote:Ive been playing Rockets vs Celtics all night. A few observations

1. Jaylen Brown is missing his flat top, he looks so strange.
2. Post over the top passes work 0% of the time, which was a problem with NBA 2K14. I had Horford sealing his man completely and calling for the over the top (this happened many, many times) and the pass would always be short and stolen. Frustrating because its obvious he has great position. The people entering it were always either Irving or Hayward.
3. Its far too easy to score inside and on drives. Double teamed, triple teamed, doesn't matter. And I play on Superstar.
4. Ryan Anderson plays like Dominique Wilkins in this game. He is flying around the basket with athletic moves.
5. The stopping to shoot issues still exist (animation issues).

Still excited to play Ultimate Team, but those of you who are giving feedback to EA should mention the gameplay issues above.

And Jaylen Browns missing flat top.....


The game is more enjoyable on All Star.
Youtube.com/ThaLiveKing
Website: ThaLiveKing.com
Twitter: @ThaLiveKing
Facebook.com/ThaLiveKing
User avatar
ThaLiveKing
 
Posts: 2120
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:17 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby Izzy Snow on Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:39 pm

Dee4Three wrote:Ive been playing Rockets vs Celtics all night. A few observations

1. Jaylen Brown is missing his flat top, he looks so strange.
2. Post over the top passes work 0% of the time, which was a problem with NBA 2K14. I had Horford sealing his man completely and calling for the over the top (this happened many, many times) and the pass would always be short and stolen. Frustrating because its obvious he has great position. The people entering it were always either Irving or Hayward.
3. Its far too easy to score inside and on drives. Double teamed, triple teamed, doesn't matter. And I play on Superstar.
4. Ryan Anderson plays like Dominique Wilkins in this game. He is flying around the basket with athletic moves.
5. The stopping to shoot issues still exist (animation issues).

Still excited to play Ultimate Team, but those of you who are giving feedback to EA should mention the gameplay issues above.

And Jaylen Browns missing flat top.....


I want to provide minimal feedback so please pass these on to the devs. I did mention to Connor on Twitter that Jaylen Brown's dunk rating should be higher. 78 is a bit low. He should be like an 80 something.
Izzy Snow
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby Izzy Snow on Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:41 pm

ThaLiveKing wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:Ive been playing Rockets vs Celtics all night. A few observations

1. Jaylen Brown is missing his flat top, he looks so strange.
2. Post over the top passes work 0% of the time, which was a problem with NBA 2K14. I had Horford sealing his man completely and calling for the over the top (this happened many, many times) and the pass would always be short and stolen. Frustrating because its obvious he has great position. The people entering it were always either Irving or Hayward.
3. Its far too easy to score inside and on drives. Double teamed, triple teamed, doesn't matter. And I play on Superstar.
4. Ryan Anderson plays like Dominique Wilkins in this game. He is flying around the basket with athletic moves.
5. The stopping to shoot issues still exist (animation issues).

Still excited to play Ultimate Team, but those of you who are giving feedback to EA should mention the gameplay issues above.

And Jaylen Browns missing flat top.....


The game is more enjoyable on All Star.


As much as I want to continue to play on Superstar, I do agree that All-Star is more enjoyable. Also, I found the game a bit too fast on default speed so I played around and tried 60 and as low as 50. 60 is better for me.
Izzy Snow
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby ThaLiveKing on Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:16 am

Izzy Snow wrote:
ThaLiveKing wrote:
Dee4Three wrote:Ive been playing Rockets vs Celtics all night. A few observations

1. Jaylen Brown is missing his flat top, he looks so strange.
2. Post over the top passes work 0% of the time, which was a problem with NBA 2K14. I had Horford sealing his man completely and calling for the over the top (this happened many, many times) and the pass would always be short and stolen. Frustrating because its obvious he has great position. The people entering it were always either Irving or Hayward.
3. Its far too easy to score inside and on drives. Double teamed, triple teamed, doesn't matter. And I play on Superstar.
4. Ryan Anderson plays like Dominique Wilkins in this game. He is flying around the basket with athletic moves.
5. The stopping to shoot issues still exist (animation issues).

Still excited to play Ultimate Team, but those of you who are giving feedback to EA should mention the gameplay issues above.

And Jaylen Browns missing flat top.....


The game is more enjoyable on All Star.


As much as I want to continue to play on Superstar, I do agree that All-Star is more enjoyable. Also, I found the game a bit too fast on default speed so I played around and tried 60 and as low as 50. 60 is better for me.


I got it on 65. I moved it down from 72. I just can control my offense a lot better at that speed. I still think Live Run should be at 70, it looks like chaos out there some times.
Youtube.com/ThaLiveKing
Website: ThaLiveKing.com
Twitter: @ThaLiveKing
Facebook.com/ThaLiveKing
User avatar
ThaLiveKing
 
Posts: 2120
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:17 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby kingpnp on Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:01 am

Izzy Snow wrote:I think that it's safe to say that we've been playing an open beta rather than a demo which I totally welcome. EA is really listening to the feedback as well. I mentioned this in my stream the other night that I would be fine with the game getting constant updates after release as long as it only improves and doesn't break anything else in the process. I'm glad this week was a short week. I'm ready for EA Access Friday!

i told the devs this myself when i posted one of your vids and comments. I was like go on ahead and keep that beta going. i dont care if thats what it is. most if not all games are betas now. since they know they can patch them later. Let us break it, you fix it, we break it again, you fix it, we break it, you fix it. by the time the next installment comes out. you will have had most of the glitches that can be fixed. fixed in the previous game. so now you can work on making it look even better and start making the modes you have much deeper and adding modes ect.

This is grind time for Live devs this year. if they are allowed to grind all year long with this game. next year will be a bells and whistles/polish year.
kingpnp
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:07 am

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby Izzy Snow on Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:21 am

kingpnp wrote:
Izzy Snow wrote:I think that it's safe to say that we've been playing an open beta rather than a demo which I totally welcome. EA is really listening to the feedback as well. I mentioned this in my stream the other night that I would be fine with the game getting constant updates after release as long as it only improves and doesn't break anything else in the process. I'm glad this week was a short week. I'm ready for EA Access Friday!

i told the devs this myself when i posted one of your vids and comments. I was like go on ahead and keep that beta going. i dont care if thats what it is. most if not all games are betas now. since they know they can patch them later. Let us break it, you fix it, we break it again, you fix it, we break it, you fix it. by the time the next installment comes out. you will have had most of the glitches that can be fixed. fixed in the previous game. so now you can work on making it look even better and start making the modes you have much deeper and adding modes ect.

This is grind time for Live devs this year. if they are allowed to grind all year long with this game. next year will be a bells and whistles/polish year.


As I said before, I'm already excited for Live 19 (Y) BTW, I deleted those vids. I'm taking a different approach with showing the devs any vids that's regarding a game issue especially now that I'm communicating with some of them again via DM's. I'd rather make unlisted vids to share only to them. I just want Live to be great again tbh.
Izzy Snow
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby [Q] on Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:11 am

I played rockets and celtics last night on all star. I actually had a lot of fun. Was down 8 points or so for most of the game as the CPU is "open" for 3 a lot just like in the live event they have with all the created youtubers. After playing the demo all this time, I felt like I had a good feel on how to play the game which made it more fun. Was down 3 at the end and called timeout. Was able to call an inbound play for 3 to hit Gordon for 3 in the corner and he hit it. Then Irving comes back and I gave him just a bit too much room so he hit a 3 on me to win.

Also got the Glove shoes I have been trying to get out of that Nike crate. I am debating on whether to risk grinding for a bunch of foamposites to try to get the VC Shox
Image
User avatar
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 12029
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:20 am
Location: Westside, the best side

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:13 pm

I still feel like Play Now plays a lot better than The One, though switching to a sideline camera helped a bit. I need to play a bit more with Patch 1.06 though.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Image
Contact: Email | Twitter
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube


Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Image
Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
User avatar
Andrew
That's a bad luck number.
Administrator
 
Posts: 101830
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:51 pm
Location: Australia

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby mp3 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:33 pm

I played a little last night with the patch update, the game does feel a bit better but like Dee4Three said things like not putting in Brown's hightop and the amount of missing player pictures from the roster to me seems like we CoD be in for another game like Live 16 with gernic players or placeholder players.

Also why is there still no mention of roster editing, deeper dynasty modes?
User avatar
mp3
 
Posts: 4569
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:45 am

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:59 pm

I assume they'll keep pushing through player scans like they have in previous years. I'm not holding my breath in regards to roster editing, and I'm assuming Dynasty will be fairly straightforward.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Image
Contact: Email | Twitter
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube


Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Image
Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
User avatar
Andrew
That's a bad luck number.
Administrator
 
Posts: 101830
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:51 pm
Location: Australia

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby kingpnp on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:57 am

ThaLiveKing wrote:I've been growing wearing of the Cavs and Warriors, I'm ready for the full game. Less than two weeks away

They heard you. lol
kingpnp
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:07 am

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby kingpnp on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:59 am

mp3 wrote:I played a little last night with the patch update, the game does feel a bit better but like Dee4Three said things like not putting in Brown's hightop and the amount of missing player pictures from the roster to me seems like we CoD be in for another game like Live 16 with gernic players or placeholder players.

Also why is there still no mention of roster editing, deeper dynasty modes?

You do not want to hear a single word about editing or dynasty until they get the actual basketball portion right. This is for your own good. yes we all want it all to be top notch. But no do not even hint at them thinking about other modes until they get the basics down tight. THENNNN they can move on to the other modes and extras. as much as you would love to have roster editing. I bet you wouldnt want it if the game play sucked. As much as you would like a dynasty mode. what good would it be if the actual basketball game play sucked.?

Some people think " but they can do two things at once" ehhhh not so much at this time. Once they get the gameplay tight then yes. but not right now.
kingpnp
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:07 am

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:13 am

There are some basics that are overdue to be re-added to Dynasty, however. I do think having some basic customisation features and a reasonably solid franchise mode is a must, because that's where the longevity is.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Image
Contact: Email | Twitter
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube


Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Image
Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
User avatar
Andrew
That's a bad luck number.
Administrator
 
Posts: 101830
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:51 pm
Location: Australia

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby StyxTx on Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:14 am

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to play the updated version since we are temporarily living someplace other than home due to hurricane damage, so I have no way to access internet to download games or whatever. I am stuck using my phone for internet and I don't have a hotspot.

So, I am reading what you all say about the updates and it seems to me they are listening and attempting to come out with as polished a version as possible upon release.

People say this is more of a beta. This is a good thing in my view.

Right now, I am leaning towards purchasing Live as I have already decided against 2k.
User avatar
StyxTx
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:54 pm

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby Andrew on Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:50 am

Still work to be done, but there have been improvements. The feedback doesn't seem to be going astray, which is encouraging.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Image
Contact: Email | Twitter
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube


Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Image
Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
User avatar
Andrew
That's a bad luck number.
Administrator
 
Posts: 101830
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:51 pm
Location: Australia

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby jay-r on Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:02 pm

Although overall nba live 18 is nowhere close to nba 2k, I still like playing it + I simply appreciate another basketball title on ps4, which will eventually benefit us all and both titles.
User avatar
jay-r
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:44 am
Location: Latvia

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby kingpnp on Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:21 am

Andrew wrote:There are some basics that are overdue to be re-added to Dynasty, however. I do think having some basic customisation features and a reasonably solid franchise mode is a must, because that's where the longevity is.

drew. the reason i said what i said is because I have a funny feeling that the LIVE team is not large enough to support creating all of these additional features. What we call a basic feature was there because they had a team large enough to have big groups of people working on those features while other groups were working on the gameplay and/or other modes.

for fake example:

lets say back in the good old live days they had a team of 50 people.

25 on game play. 10 on extras(roster editing, camera angles, lightning, shoes, accessories, etc.) and another 15 on game modes(franchise mode, Ultimate team, etc.)

Now that every game has to have a my player mode. now you have to dedicate a good 10 guys to that alone. there goes 10 guys they just stole from the accessories squad.
When in reality Live should have a team of 75 people. to cover it all at the same time.

This is why i keep saying let them focus on gameplay and let that be that at this point. Because I really dont believe they have the man power to do anything extra at this time. IF.......a big IF....this game sells. Not like 2k. but does a decent job for being gone for a year and sucking for multiple years in a row. Those sells will grant them a larger team next year, and on...and on. This is one of the reasons Why i pre-ordered the game without much knowledge of the actual game. I'm putting my money where my mouth is. I'm invested in these guys. in hopes that they can make that comeback.
kingpnp
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:07 am

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby Andrew on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:41 am

Unless they've downsized the team since I visited the studio in 2015, I think they're large enough to bring back certain features and add things here or there to the modes. I agree that gameplay is paramount, but ideally there should be some token additions to the modes in the interim, because I said, that's where the longevity is.
NLSC Webmaster/Administrator
Image
Contact: Email | Twitter
Release Threads: NBA Live 08 | NBA Live 07 | NBA Live 06 | NBA Live 2005 | NBA Live 2004
Story Threads: NBA 2K13 | NBA Live 06 (Part 2) | NBA Live 06 (HOF) | NBA Live 2004 (HOF)
NLSC: Podcast | The Friday Five | Monday Tip-Off | Wayback Wednesday | 20th Anniversary of NBA Live | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube


Support The NLSC Hosting Fund: Patreon | GoFundMe

Image
Like my work? Want to help out with the NLSC Hosting Fund? Please consider leaving a tip!
User avatar
Andrew
That's a bad luck number.
Administrator
 
Posts: 101830
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:51 pm
Location: Australia

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby StyxTx on Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:17 pm

I decided to pre-order.

For one, I like the thought that my ratings do matter and I feel I control my player, not sucked into animations constantly like in 2k.

I always felt in 2k that when I got a badge I could no longer play that skill as good as I did before I had the badge. It also seemed like the more badges I had, the more loss of control over my player I had, doing weird crap like running halfway across the court to commit a foul.....when I was not even holding the controller, and getting sucked into animations more frequently. I got to the point I cringed when I got a new badge because I never set out to get any. I just felt my player played better without any badges.

Also in 2k, even though I had extremely high defensive ratings and most of the major defensive badges at gold or better, whatever that next level was, teams would still pick on me. I know this because I would always lead my team in opponents shots against, and by a big margin, opponents shots allowed, etc. One of my players was allowing 37% opponent shooting but I still led my team in shots against me per 36 minutes.

In the last version of Live, as my ratings got better, I saw my player get better and teams became more cautious about attacking my strengths. I'm confident it will be the same in this version. I didn't see any real improvement with my player in 2k as my ratings went up. The only difference I saw was that really good players on my team would suddenly not play anything like their real life counterparts.

I want a game where I can be a passing/defensive minded PG, as I was in real life. This will be the test. In 2k, you are forced to carry the team in scoring at some point, which is why my teammates would suddenly stop being the scoring stars they are IRL. I don't want to be the big scorer. As unbelievable as this may sound, I find shooting to be boring. IRL I always had fun helping my teammates score, plus I couldn't shoot for crap, but then I never worked on shooting. Anyway, that's how I'd like to play and I'm interested to see if Live is in the same state of mind as 2k, thinking we HAVE to be big scorers, or if I can be the type of player I want to be. To be honest, I don't even want to be a star, just a successful teammate on a winning team.

It just seems to me the IQ of Live is better than 2k. As I was playing the updated demo today, I saw defensive switches on picks. I was pretty impressed watching the defensive player in Live doing switches, playing good help defense, etc.

In 2k, a pick causes a traffic jam of players making it impossible for anyone to get out of it, especially my player, and if someone did, they went to defend the wrong player. In fact, most of the time defenders never switched off. They would leave their opponent wide open while coming to play help defense though. I didn't see that in the games I payed with Live today.

I know most people think 2k is so great, but in many ways I think it's inferior to Live when it comes to game play.

I also believe that all players play more like their real life counterparts than they do in 2k.

I like Live's way of upgrading players, not lumping a group of skills into categories. I feel having to work on improving individual skills creates a lot more diversity in players. It also takes a long time to get all ratings up, unlike 2k where you can buy your way up to a point then get maxed out in the first season. So, after you're maxed out, what else is there? In Live, even after two seasons, I had certain skills that were lacking. The constant desire to improve keeps interest in Live alive for a lot longer than 2k.

Oh, did I mention Live hasn't made a habit of releasing patch after patch causing the game to get worse and worse?

Also, live doesn't VC you to death. 2k is a money grabbing monster, which I really despise.

For these and some other reasons I will buy Live this year. My 2k days are over.
Last edited by StyxTx on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:47 am, edited 6 times in total.
User avatar
StyxTx
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:54 pm

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby Izzy Snow on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:36 am

StyxTx wrote:I decided to pre-order.

For one, I like the thought that my ratings do matter and I feel I control my player, not sucked into animations constantly like in 2k.

I always felt in 2k that when I got a badge I could no longer play that skill as good as I did before I had the badge. It also seemed like the more badges I had, the more loss of control over my player I had, doing weird crap like running halfway across the court to commit a foul.....when I was not even holding the controller, and getting sucked into animations more frequently. I got to the point I cringed when I got a new badge because I never set out to get any. I just felt my player played better without any badges.

Also in 2k, even though I had extremely high defensive ratings and most of the major defensive badges at gold or better, whatever that next level was, teams would still pick on me. I know this because I would always lead my team in opponents shots against, and by a big margin, opponents shots allowed, etc. One of my players was allowing 37% opponent shooting but I still led my team in shots against me per 36 minutes.

In the last version of Live, as my ratings got better, I saw my player get better and teams became more cautious about attacking my strengths. I'm confident it will be the same in this version. I didn't see any real improvement with my player in 2k as my ratings went up. The only difference I saw was that really good players on my team would suddenly not play anything like their real life counterparts.

I want a game where I can be a passing/defensive minded PG, as I was in real life. This will be the test. In 2k, you are forced to carry the team in scoring at some point, which is why my teammates would suddenly stop being the scoring stars they are IRL. I don't want to be the big scorer. As unbelievable as this may sound, I find shooting to be boring. IRL I always had fun helping my teammates score, plus I couldn't shoot for crap, but then I never worked on shooting. Anyway, that's how I'd like to play and I'm interested to see if Live is in the same state of mind as 2k, thinking we HAVE to be big scorers, or if I can be the type of player I want to be. To be honest, I don't even want to be a star, just a successful teammate on a winning team.

It just seems to me the IQ of Live is better than 2k. As I was playing the updated demo today, I saw defensive switches on picks. I was pretty impressed watching the defensive player in Live doing switches, paying good help defense, etc.

In 2k, a pick causes a traffic jam of players making it impossible for anyone to get out of it, especially my player, and if someone did, they went to defend the wrong player. In fact, most of the time defenders never switched off.

I know most people think 2k is so great, but in many ways I think it's inferior to Live when it comes to game play.

I also believe that all players play more like their real life counterparts than they do in 2k.

I like Live's way of upgrading players, not lumping a group of skills into categories. I feel having to work on improving individual skills creates a lot more diversity in players.

Oh, did I mention Live hasn't made a habit of releasing patch after patch causing the game to get worse and worse?

Also, live doesn't VC you to death. 2k is a money grabbing monster, which I really despise.

For these and some other reasons I will buy Live this year. My 2k days are over.


Nice testimonial for a person that's played both games with signifant time. Mind if I screenshot your comments and post it on Twitter? I agree with gameplay being better than 2K. 2K isn't terrible it's just that I prefer Live this year.
Izzy Snow
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby StyxTx on Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:49 am

Izzy Snow wrote:
Nice testimonial for a person that's played both games with signifant time. Mind if I screenshot your comments and post it on Twitter? I agree with gameplay being better than 2K. 2K isn't terrible it's just that I prefer Live this year.


As long as you don't mind the 2k fans calling you names and ridiculing you. :)
User avatar
StyxTx
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:54 pm

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby [Q] on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:58 am

Yeah I dunno, there's something about Live that makes it fun. Can't put my finger on it. 2K feels like a chore, like a job. Especially grinding for VC. As an adult with responsibilities I don't have the time or patience to grind
Image
User avatar
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Optimist
NLSC Team Member
 
Posts: 12029
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:20 am
Location: Westside, the best side

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby Izzy Snow on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:20 am

StyxTx wrote:
Izzy Snow wrote:
Nice testimonial for a person that's played both games with signifant time. Mind if I screenshot your comments and post it on Twitter? I agree with gameplay being better than 2K. 2K isn't terrible it's just that I prefer Live this year.


As long as you don't mind the 2k fans calling you names and ridiculing you. :)


Well, the tweet including your comments has been quite a hit on Twitter (Y)

http://twitter.com/EpiCz_Izzy_Snow/status/906582023585898497
Izzy Snow
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby Izzy Snow on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:22 am

[Q] wrote:Yeah I dunno, there's something about Live that makes it fun. Can't put my finger on it. 2K feels like a chore, like a job. Especially grinding for VC. As an adult with responsibilities I don't have the time or patience to grind


Not to mention the WNBA game plays smooth and (obviously) differently in a good way.
Izzy Snow
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby StyxTx on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:19 am

[Q] wrote:Yeah I dunno, there's something about Live that makes it fun. Can't put my finger on it. 2K feels like a chore, like a job. Especially grinding for VC. As an adult with responsibilities I don't have the time or patience to grind


I agree. I can have fun with Live. I just find myself yelling at the screen or throwing my controller when I play 2k.
User avatar
StyxTx
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:54 pm

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby StyxTx on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:27 am

Izzy Snow wrote:
StyxTx wrote:
Izzy Snow wrote:
Nice testimonial for a person that's played both games with signifant time. Mind if I screenshot your comments and post it on Twitter? I agree with gameplay being better than 2K. 2K isn't terrible it's just that I prefer Live this year.


As long as you don't mind the 2k fans calling you names and ridiculing you. :)


Well, the tweet including your comments has been quite a hit on Twitter (Y)

http://twitter.com/EpiCz_Izzy_Snow/status/906582023585898497


That's pretty cool.

I played 2k 15, 16, & 17 and I never played 17 much after the 3rd patch. It was regressing with every patch. I thought it played ok when released. I played 2 seasons with the last version of Live, and even though I had my pissed off moments, they weren't as severe and not nearly as often as they were with 2k. I actually smashed one controller when I got totally fed up with 2k. I play games for fun, not to get pissed off and I can't really afford to be buying controllers all the time. lol
User avatar
StyxTx
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:54 pm

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby mp3 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:57 pm

I've enjoyed using other teams in the demo I think it was just what I needed to restore my faith in buying the full game. I would never choose the Warriors of Cavs when playing so I guess that's why I couldn't get into it, watching the full game videos has helped a lot too seeing some of the new teams and the way they play.

There is some fine tuning still needed like blocks and contested layups but it's definitely more fun to play and I said the same about Live 16 I actually played more of that than 2k16 due to the fact that 2k felt stale and pretty much the same game as 2k14-2k15.

I will probably buy 2k18 but not at the release date, I think like the poster above said they OVER patch there game theses days I mean ADD missing players/updated courts etc but they messed around with the gameplay so much last year that a slider set that was a good fun competitive game would change dramatically with each patch.
User avatar
mp3
 
Posts: 4569
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:45 am

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby Izzy Snow on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:00 am

mp3 wrote:I've enjoyed using other teams in the demo I think it was just what I needed to restore my faith in buying the full game. I would never choose the Warriors of Cavs when playing so I guess that's why I couldn't get into it, watching the full game videos has helped a lot too seeing some of the new teams and the way they play.

There is some fine tuning still needed like blocks and contested layups but it's definitely more fun to play and I said the same about Live 16 I actually played more of that than 2k16 due to the fact that 2k felt stale and pretty much the same game as 2k14-2k15.

I will probably buy 2k18 but not at the release date, I think like the poster above said they OVER patch there game theses days I mean ADD missing players/updated courts etc but they messed around with the gameplay so much last year that a slider set that was a good fun competitive game would change dramatically with each patch.


Yeah man it's best to wait for 2K for sale since like you said, they patch the game up so much.
Izzy Snow
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:35 am

Played Live for a good portion of the afternoon again.

I have now played both games a significant amount of time. I'd say I've played the Live Demo close to 25-30 hours, and I've played the full 2k MyCareer demo and numerous hours on 2KU.

My conclusion based on my experience: Live is a really good option for people who want a different experience and don't care about lack of modes, and lack of roster editing and creation. While 2K's offense is maybe the best it's ever been feel wise, and control wise (tied with 2K13), Lives defense seems to have the advantage. Players seem to not get lost as much, they are good at sticking with assignments but also helping. For those people who are interested in Live Run, Ultimate Team, Exhibition, or a one player Franchise mode (Dynasty), Live will be a solid option this year.

Next year, Live needs to really smooth out the feel of shots on the move, as well as the post game. If they can do that, and give us roster editing and a multi user dynasty, they will be in serious contention.

I'd love to see a spike in lives sales this year, so atleast they will have momentum going forward.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 5339
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby ThaLiveKing on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:37 am

The actual game plays better than the demo, a ton of people can testify to that

Demo plays nothing like this
phpBB [video]
Youtube.com/ThaLiveKing
Website: ThaLiveKing.com
Twitter: @ThaLiveKing
Facebook.com/ThaLiveKing
User avatar
ThaLiveKing
 
Posts: 2120
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:17 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:44 am

ThaLiveKing wrote:The actual game plays better than the demo, a ton of people can testify to that

Demo plays nothing like this
phpBB [video]


Ill try the full experience upon release. I'm excited for that.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 5339
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby StyxTx on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:38 am

One thing I was having fun with today was passing the ball in ways I was never able to do, in either Live or 2K. I was making some pretty nifty passes. Looks pretty cool to me.

One was splitting the defenders in the paint getting the ball to a guy who broke and got inside for a beautiful dunk. Haven't gotten the alley-oop down just yet.

In previous versions of either game, that would be stolen. No such thing as splitting defenders. I was expecting it to get stolen.
User avatar
StyxTx
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:54 pm

Re: NBA Live 18 Demo Updated

Postby Dee4Three on Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:20 pm

Just officially pre ordered the game, and signed up for EA Access. So the game was $35.99... not bad.

I'll be a busy guy the 15th.
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA
User avatar
Dee4Three
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 5339
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:34 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Next

Return to NBA Live 18

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests