New Gameplay Videos from EA Play (5v5, The One)

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

New Gameplay Videos from EA Play (5v5, The One)

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:24 am

Gameplay footage, impressions, and so forth. I'll add more as they come through.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Re: New Gameplay Videos from EA Play (5v5, The One)

Postby PeacemanNOT on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:40 am

Everything looks pretty good. Biggest problem I have from looking at gameplay footage is speed consistency.

A lot of the animations look way too slow especially the dunk animations, while passing animations are extremely fast. Together they look out of place, but I would assume that could be something that can change.
Donate if you'd like to:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/PeacemanNOT
PeacemanNOT
Useless Member
Contributor

Postby zzcoolj21 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:20 am

some of my favorite clips
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby Manni Live on Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:00 am

I gotta say, for the first time in a long time LIVE is finally heading in the right direction. I think the graphics lighting and atmosphere look amazing! I love how they increased the size of the players also. cross overs steps backs and stuff look alot better.

However at times the animations look jerky and stiff, hopefully they can fix that in future releases. Hop steps look awkward also i hate how the ball seems like its floating in the air once a player releases the ball. So far it looks like its going to be a purchase for me.

For all my patches for NBA 2K16 & NBA 2K14 Visit http://mannipatches.blogspot.ca/

Flickr Page https://www.flickr.com/photos/99620982@N03/

If your willing to support feel free to donate :)

Manni Live
Y'all spinning around like ballers. Seething with jealousy, I am.
Contributor

Postby big-shot-ROB on Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:19 am

They need to put a lot of effort on the physics, because from what it looked on the trailer to this is a significant drop off. I just hope, as somebody said, it¡s kind of fixable with the sliders, but right now it is not looking good for me (gameplay wise).

EDIT: After watching it again, and watching some videos I hadn't watch, I will say it is not that dramatically as it first seemed with Shady00018 video. I like the dribble moves and the layups. Hate the jumpshots and some half of the contact animations.
big-shot-ROB
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.

Postby I Hate Mondays on Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:36 pm

Really like it. There are some little details that really caught my eye. Like Zaza looking at his teammates like "where is the defense? who allowed him inside?" after he got dunked on. Blocked dunks. The sweat marks on the front and back of a torso during the Venice Beach segments, depending on how hard/long someone played. The mismatches look like they mean everything in this game. Those Harden stepbacks and scoop layups are golden.

There are some things that looked a bit strange. Some jumpshot animations look to me like like they were formed using 4 other different animations parts, all at different speeds. Like you have the step gather, the actual jump, the release and the comeback but something doesn't feel consistent and it's like I can really tell there is a transition between those 4, instead of feeling a smooth one piece animation. Hopefully it can get fixed by the devs or via game sliders/game speed values.

Some people have said that the rebound system is pretty basic and there are no rebound battles inside or tips in, and whoever is nearest the ball gets the rebound. Other people praised the game speed and the flow of the game. I wanted to see if that is true in one of those videos but literally all 10 of them have highlights of scored baskets instead of actual end to end gameplay
I Hate Mondays

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:44 pm

I'd agree that some of the jumpshot animations are a bit stiff and jerky, but then others are really smooth, as are other animations. It seems not everything's where it needs to be, but it's looking a lot better than NBA Live 16. I'm also encouraged by the continued reports that it feels a lot smoother as well.

It's a shame we didn't get raw gameplay, and that it's mostly scoring highlights, though I did like seeing a few blocks in there, as well as the defense forcing some missed layups. Probably doesn't help that most people seemed to be playing in Pro difficulty, which tends to be a scoring fest. It's also user vs. user, so it's hard to get too many impressions of what the AI is like when it's all on the CPU.

Cool to see players stumbling when they get their ankles broken. Interesting to see they've adopted more of a 2K approach with the Shot Meter. Not necessarily a bad thing, will have to see how it works out for myself though.

Some awkward moments, but not as much as recent games, and what looks good really looks good now. Again, I'm also encouraged by the reports that it feels better on the sticks, and that it's fun to play. That suggests that even though there is some stuff that still needs polish which is noticeable when you're watching gameplay footage, the experience itself is enjoyable. That bodes well for the core mechanics.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby RJHUNT3R on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:23 pm

Cant really tell much cuz its all so cut up. I just wanna see the flow of the game.
RJHUNT3R

Postby bigh0rt on Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:04 pm

Most importantly is how responsive the controls are. You don't get a full feel for the smoothness of animations til then. That said, the gameplay seems slow here for my taste. I'd hope it's editable.
bigh0rt
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:21 pm

There are sliders, more than last year I've heard. A speed slider wouldn't go astray.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Rodzilla91 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:48 pm

I saw some videos last night, the visuals are amazing, and gameplay looks much improved from LIVE 16. My only issue is the animations, or some of them. It looks way smoother than previous games but jumpshots look very hit or miss, like Harden's and how floaty Lebron's looks. It kind of looks like a straight up jump rather then an actual kind of jumpshot if that makes sense. Still very excited though
Rodzilla91

Postby voidjointx on Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:25 am

seems like every player has same shooting animation
Donations Are Appreciated

https://www.patreon.com/voidjoint
voidjointx

Postby Rodzilla91 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:40 am

Wouldn't go that far. Compare Klays to Hardens, irving to draymond, durant, etc
Rodzilla91

Postby [Q] on Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:46 am

That explains why there was no video during or immediately after the event. EA had all of the video and was making it pretty for these guys to show off. They didn't want another Elite situation where trolls are killing it online

I think whoever said that shot animations are broken into multiple parts is right, leading people to complain about jerky animations. To me that is a good thing, as it allows you more responsiveness to be able to stop on a dime for a jump shot breaking out of a dribble animation. Nothing's worse than to create space and finally get an open look only to not immediately go up for a shot because you're waiting for an animation to finish. I don't care if it doesn't look perfect, as long as it does what I want when I want.

I definitely like the pace and speed of the animations. Someone said passing was too fast? I'd much rather have that than letting the defense recover because you're waiting for you guy to catch the ball.
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby zzcoolj21 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:53 am

[Q] wrote:Someone said passing was too fast? I'd much rather have that than letting the defense recover because you're waiting for you guy to catch the ball.

I'd imagine Andrew would agree given his myplayer in 2k17 had to throw the ball 10 ft in the air if a player is open in the corner.
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:00 am

Ugh, the floaty passes. How often they've killed us in 2K Pro-Am. :cry:

You don't want them to be too fast either, but I'd definitely prefer them to be crisp and thrown with some force, not lobbed as though the ball is filled with helium.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:11 am

The game looks fun, but we are only seeing the ends of some of the possessions. Very nice finishes around the rim. I'm glad to see some highlight stuff back in the game. It is a video game after all. I'm ready to drive and kick.

Some of the blocks and defensive contests look horrible, but some look great. I think most of the attempts while standing still are the main ones that look funny to me.

I don't like the volleyball sound on the blocks. If they could recognize epic blocks and have that sound to embellish them, that's fine, but for regular blocks I would like it to be toned down.

Stephen Curry's jumpshot. He doesn't really have one. He shoots a set shot. That needs fixing.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:32 am

Signature forms need some work, I agree.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby itr_k1lo5 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:32 pm

So far so good! hopefully they will touch up the players sig jumpshots and styles, but otherwise loving it. Haven't seen much of the post game yet!

Finally a game that rewards good Defense! Bring on the DEMO!
Just an OG online baller from wayyyy back!
Twitter = https://twitter.com/ITR_K1LO5
PSN = ITR_K1LO5
itr_k1lo5

Postby mp3 on Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:52 pm

Animations look improved from Live 16 but agree with most that the jumpshots look a little jerky but I find the camera angle harder to judge the gameplay as it's not the angle I play on but at first glance the game looks good.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby ThaLiveKing on Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:48 pm

mp3 wrote:Animations look improved from Live 16 but agree with most that the jumpshots look a little jerky but I find the camera angle harder to judge the gameplay as it's not the angle I play on but at first glance the game looks good.

yeah, not sure why the jump shots are slow, they need to make everything some what the same speed. Like I said in one of my videos, that if you turn the game speed down past 70, to about 65. Everything seems to flow better. I can't wait for more hands on in August.
ThaLiveKing

Postby [Q] on Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:06 pm

Where are your videos at? I'd be interested in hearing what you think about the game instead of these random Youtubers
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby I Hate Mondays on Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:24 pm

[Q] wrote:Where are your videos at? I'd be interested in hearing what you think about the game instead of these random Youtubers

Yeah, I want to hear the opinion of someone who wasn't bought with free sneakers.
I Hate Mondays

Postby Andrew on Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:28 pm

For what it's worth, the folks that have been posting videos so far are on the level. I've actually met a couple of them in person, at a Live community event in 2015.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby [Q] on Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:35 am

I do believe that a lot of these are their honest impressions, but sometimes there is a bit of doubt when they are just overly positive about it or a lot of them say "I wasn't paid to say this"
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Next

Return to NBA Live 18