Basic Expectations for NBA Live 17

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

Basic Expectations for NBA Live 17

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:04 pm

This is a bit early since NBA Live 17 won't be coming out until Q1 2017, but for those who are interested in the game, what are your basic expectations? In other words, what does it have to do to be a satisfactory NBA game?

I'm expecting continued improvement across the board, but in terms of gameplay, I do want to see deeper, responsive controls, more realistic animations, and an overall realistic game of basketball. NBA Live 16 is actually pretty good on the Xs and Os, player movement and so on, but there are obviously other gameplay issues that need to be addressed. If a lot of progress can be made there, I think the game will take some satisfying steps forward.

It will be a huge disappointment if nothing is done with the modes, and we don't get roster editing. The modes are where the replay value is, and roster editing is a basic function that's been in sports games for over two decades. While gameplay is paramount, that's the kind of stuff we need to have a well-rounded basketball gaming experience. If there are additions and improvements to Dynasty and Rising Star, and we can edit rosters, then I'll be pleased to see that.

I'm certainly not expecting a game that will blow NBA 2K out of the water. NBA 2K is too strong a product for that, with too much of a head start. However, I do think that NBA Live 17 has the potential to be a very good game in its own right, a viable alternative if for whatever reason, 2K just isn't doing it for you. If it has its own hook, something unique to play, then it could also be a game that basketball gamers pick up in addition to NBA 2K.

At the end of the day, my basic expectations are that the game feels better on the sticks, looks better in motion, and gives us deeper modes to sink time into, along with a decent amount of customisation options. If it's made some significant progress across the board, particularly in those areas, then the game should be in pretty good shape again.
This topic was moved from NBA Live 16 by Andrew on Thu May 25, 2017 2:21 am.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Basic Expectations for NBA Live 17

Postby Patr1ck on Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:56 am

With the extra development time, the game needs to wow me on all levels. I have already decided that I won't be preordering, unlike the last 3 years. I'm not even sure if I will pick it up.

Control. The controls need an instant response that shows the strength and power of the NBA athletes while still maintaining momentum, and depth of controls so you can control your decision making, whether that decision be good or bad.

Animations. 2K has a huge advantage in the amount of animations they have. Live needs to follow this and start making the game look more organic and separating the players more. I was picking dunk animations in the 2K17 prelude, and I was previewing Zach Lavine's dunk package. There are something like 30 one-hand cocking tomahawk animations that all looked and finished differently. This, along with the amount of dribble, layup, post, and shot animations have are one of the reason 2K looks so organic and deep. EA is doing good with their shot animations, but they can do better, and I am sure they can do the same for other areas of the game. Also, the post whistle and dead ball animations can be better. When you are playing an NBA Live game, you can almost see the scripts kicking in which I believe contributes to the reason why people use the word robotic to describe NBA Live animations. There seems to be a lack of emotion through body language and facial expression. I also would like them to go a bit over the top on some of their animations. I know it sounds a little arcady, but if you look at history, that is actually what made Live a blast to play. Fancy passes, nasty dunks, sick moves blended with sim-style gameplay is what made the game fun.

Dynasty needs an overhaul. They really need a whole new game mode or something to try and satisfy Live players who like 2K's association or Myleague modes. If there is a feature of the mode, it needs to be emphasized a bit to stand out and show it's impact on the mode. Player unhappy? Don't just have a random NBA rumor in text form, have it show up in the gameplay or even the announcing team can add a little commentary. Then you combine a more "animated" player throwing a towel or something after he fouls out or is benched. Just a small example. The modes won't matter much until the gameplay is enticing.

Customization. I expect them to continue with the companion app and allowing you to put your face on your rising star. If they want to 1-up 2K, they should see if they can let you scan and save multiple faces for multiple created players. If they want to dig some nails in, make a hair scanner or an app to create custom hairstyles, brows, and facial hair since 2K fans are complaining about the CAP features for 2K17. Sliders, Roster and Player editing are a must at this point. There are really no acceptable excuses, not even Synergy. Technology not there? Invent it. Not a priority for Live players? Because those players jumped ship to a customizable game and are no longer Live players. Make it a priority.

Online. IMO, the best part of Live 16 was Pro-Am. Expand the streetball/casual online modes. Dunk contest, horse, 21, knock out, around the world, half court, 2 vs 2, 3 vs 3, 4 vs 4, etc. Mini tournaments for RP/SP. The average basketball fan who plays an NBA video game plays streetball. Have fun with it.

Difficulty overhaul. I want to see EA do something innovative here. Instead of just increasing ratings or adjusting probabilities of scoring, player ratings, and other statistics, I want to see the difficulty change based on the strategy of players and teams. I heard an NBA player say that every team knows what the other team is doing due to scouting and analytics and that it's mostly a matter of adaptation and execution. Change the game based on that. Does an offball cutter take the right angle around a screen to get open or is the screen set in the right place to keep the defender at a distance to get a clean shot off? Is a team getting beat by small ball adapting it's substitutions to keep up with their speed and defend the 3's or are they going big to bang inside with mismatches and rebounding? Does that ballhandler realize he can take his man off the dribble 9 out of 10 times? The probabilities scaling can be done in a slider.

The most basic need is that the game needs a consistent improvement in depth and variety across all areas.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:33 am

Well said. I think they've done a pretty good job rebuilding the foundation and making some steady improvements since NBA Live 14, but I'd really like to see NBA Live 17 take the next step, and show a big improvement, especially given the extra development time. It can't be a bare bones product like NBA Live 06 on Xbox 360, or to a lesser extent, NBA Live 14 (since Live 14 at least had Dynasty Mode). That would definitely fall below expectations.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Izzy Snow on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:25 am

My basic expectation is mostly on the gameplay side. If they can improve the animations and get rid of the terrible ones i.e. the ugly hook shot or turnaround shot where the player doesn't actually do a full 180 turn (ugh), add some of the basic controls they had in the past like the manual bounce and lob passes, and have better commentary that hopefully is redone like how Madden was (high expectation really), then I'd be ok with the game as long as they don't sell it for a full $60 if the game actually still releases after the new year.

I don't expect Live to ever match 2K in terms of overall quality. 2K dev team is way too big for EA to match.
Izzy Snow

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:28 pm

Gameplay is definitely a priority, but if nothing's done with the modes, and if we don't get roster customisation, I will be tremendously disappointed. As I said, the replay value is in the modes, because that's what gets you hooked. Roster customisation is a basic staple that we absolutely need, because there are times when we want to make custom rosters, or makes changes while we're waiting for the official update.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Izzy Snow on Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:12 pm

Andrew wrote:Gameplay is definitely a priority, but if nothing's done with the modes, and if we don't get roster customisation, I will be tremendously disappointed. As I said, the replay value is in the modes, because that's what gets you hooked. Roster customisation is a basic staple that we absolutely need, because there are times when we want to make custom rosters, or makes changes while we're waiting for the official update.

I really hope you get the roster customization. Of all people, you're obviously one of the most loyal and hardworking fans of Live. You and the people here that love more customization truly deserve it. No more excuses.
Izzy Snow

Postby zzcoolj21 on Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:57 am

I would need full customization to even consider dishing out the $60 they charge. If we don't get customization they really cant charge full price for it and expect it to sell. I preordered last year and feel very ashamed to have done so. Paying full retail price for a $20 product is very disappointing.
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby StyxTx on Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:28 am

The inside game has to be made a lot more difficult. It really doesn't seem like the strength rating matters at all with the way some small PG can go right thru and over a C & PF to make what amounts to an uncontested shot. I had a 73% shooting pct as a SG because 90% of my shot were layups and dunks. That is absurd. There is just no physicality inside.

They must give us options on what type of passes we throw.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:38 am

More physicality in the paint is a must, I agree.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Murat on Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:33 am

This game should make a huge leap from NBA Live 16.

Graphics looked so clean. It seems that 2K will beat Live again, but NBA Live should be more competitive against 2K. They have to make people buy their game.

These might give us a PC release in later years. I'm still a Live fan.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ThaLiveKing on Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:08 pm

the game play should FEEL authentic. At times it feels like an arcade game. Overall balance and consistency in the half court court game. Better dribble mechanics, FIFA type celebrations after a big bucket. Atmosphere for me is a must, I want the in-game experience to be realistic, I want real frustrations, real celebrations, close game should be roller coasters. FULL CUSTOMIZATION, I want to be able to view everything available in the game from a menu screen. I want to enjoy the amount of work the art developers put in.

With modes, I just want a variety of them, with some added life, they just feel dull. ProAm should be in its own world, not sure if that makes sense, but its going to be a mode where people spend a lot of time in.
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:28 pm

Depth is crucial when it comes to the modes. There are some solid foundations and concepts across Live's modes, but like you said, you need to want to sink hours and hours into them.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 18