What You Want Out Of Rising Star in NBA Live 17

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

What You Want Out Of Rising Star in NBA Live 17

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:49 pm

While we're expanding on our Wishlist thread and prior discussions, I thought we could talk a little more about Rising Star in NBA Live 17.

Honestly, I'd still prefer to see NBA Live steer clear of the approach that NBA 2K has taken with its story-driven MyCAREER mode. While the story in NBA 2K17 is shaping up to be a little better, it still looks like there'll be some corniness to it, with a backstory that may not fit with the character you want to role play as. I'd much prefer to tell my own story on the court, and have cutscenes limited to commercials, press conferences and interviews where I can choose my responses (further building my character), and other events such as winning the championship or an NBA award.

I would like it to have the depth of MyCAREER, though. The training sessions, the ability to earn some kind of in-game currency (SP and RP, in Live's case) through endorsements, perhaps even the off-court connections if they can grant some bonuses. In terms of the stat tracking and keeping up with the rest of the league, I'd like that to be as detailed as Dynasty Mode (which itself needs to be deeper as well). Things like in-game social media and other immersive elements would also add to the atmosphere, putting you in the shoes of an NBA player.

I'm also hoping that they keep the ability to switch teams after getting drafted. That's actually a really cool idea if you want to play for your favourite team, and not just accept your fate. It's easy enough to decline that option if you're willing to play wherever you end up, so it's obviously much better to have that option than not. I'm also a fan of having separate Skills Points and Reward Points for increasing your ratings and purchasing accessories, as introduced in NBA Live 16.

At the end of the day, I don't want Rising Star to be bare bones, but I'd like it to be a viable alternative to the "Hollywood movie" approach that NBA 2K has adopted, with enough depth to keep us immersed in the experience. Cut out the story stuff, but leave all the gameplay and player/career management elements.
This topic was moved from NBA Live 16 by Andrew on Thu May 25, 2017 2:21 am.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: What You Want Out Of Rising Star in NBA Live 17

Postby StyxTx on Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:25 am

I don't find the social media junk and stuff like that in the least bit immersive but do find it boring. It's stuff written by some game designer, not written by anyone you are supposed to be talking to and certainly nothing spontaneous happens during the messaging. It's not my life or anyone I know so I couldn't care less what the stuff says.

I agree with your opinion on the storyline stuff and allowing us to create our own story line. THAT to me would be immersive since I am creating a character I want to be, which is actually....me....in a video game.

I also like the idea of earning SP's thru training. I kinda like training and shooting practice because in real life I would do that back in the days I played various sports.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:37 am

For me it's a bit of "extra flavour" that goes towards the idea of creating a living world within the mode, but it's certainly not for everyone. Ideally, the fake social media should be just one of those things that's an extra detail reflecting the real world, but can be ignored without any problems...kind of like social media in real life, I suppose.

Out of interest, what are the features that would achieve that effect for you, and create a more immersive experience? I get that social media isn't one, but what are some bells and whistles that you would like to see, if any?
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Murat on Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:35 am

2K has done anything I could want; National Team, NCAA, sponsorships, TV-like scenes etc.

NBA Live should impress people with the gameplay.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby StyxTx on Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:13 pm

Andrew wrote:For me it's a bit of "extra flavour" that goes towards the idea of creating a living world within the mode, but it's certainly not for everyone. Ideally, the fake social media should be just one of those things that's an extra detail reflecting the real world, but can be ignored without any problems...kind of like social media in real life, I suppose.

Out of interest, what are the features that would achieve that effect for you, and create a more immersive experience? I get that social media isn't one, but what are some bells and whistles that you would like to see, if any?

I don't look for "immersion". I just want a basketball game that I can play a career type of game...basically, I can play for years instead of just a single season type of game. Anything on the court or in the arena, such as true to life crowd reactions, seats that don't remain full till the last second of a blow-out game, etc.

Anything having to do with life off the court, well, there is 'The Sims' for that type of stuff if that's something I wanted. My real life schedule is too busy to have to waste time on stuff like that in a sports game. I have only a few hours a day for gaming.

If that type of stuff is included, fine, many people like it, but make it optional.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:47 am

So the elements that keep you hooked are all pretty much gameplay and gameplay atmosphere related. That's fair enough, I was just wondering.

I do think those extra elements need to be a part of the game, because they are very popular. Ideally, they shouldn't be intrusive, and largely optional. The thing is, neither EA nor 2K can please everyone in a mode like this. If the mode doesn't have those extra bells and whistles - as is the case with Rising Star at present - then it's criticised for being "too bare bones". Put in all that extra stuff, and other gamers are going to feel like it's unnecessary.

I will say that a lot of the extra stuff in MyCAREER isn't really like The Sims, or all that disconnected from the gameplay experience. The practice sessions are a way of improving your player, and an opportunity to practice certain scenarios. The event appearances don't consist of more than your player walking out the door of your MyCOURT and then a pop-up stating the event has been attended, and letting you know of the VC reward (which ultimately goes towards improving your player, or whatever you choose to spend it on). Endorsements also bring in extra VC. I guess the most intrusive parts of MyCAREER in NBA 2K17 are the story (far less so this year, though) and the messaging, though you can ignore messages, and it's really not a big part of the mode when it comes down to it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Murat on Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:54 am

People should have FUN playing the mode.

I mean, it should be both realistic and enjoyable. Since NBA Live series doesn't have any weapons outside of the game (like 2KTV, His Airness, EJ-Kenny-Shaq trio), the game should be enjoyable itself.
Murat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:19 am

Absolutely. But basketball gamers are always going to differ on what makes a title (or specific mode) fun for them, so sometimes it's hard for us to have a unified voice when we describe that to developers.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:04 am

Andrew wrote:So the elements that keep you hooked are all pretty much gameplay and gameplay atmosphere related. That's fair enough, I was just wondering.

I do think those extra elements need to be a part of the game, because they are very popular. Ideally, they shouldn't be intrusive, and largely optional. The thing is, neither EA nor 2K can please everyone in a mode like this. If the mode doesn't have those extra bells and whistles - as is the case with Rising Star at present - then it's criticised for being "too bare bones". Put in all that extra stuff, and other gamers are going to feel like it's unnecessary.

I will say that a lot of the extra stuff in MyCAREER isn't really like The Sims, or all that disconnected from the gameplay experience. The practice sessions are a way of improving your player, and an opportunity to practice certain scenarios. The event appearances don't consist of more than your player walking out the door of your MyCOURT and then a pop-up stating the event has been attended, and letting you know of the VC reward (which ultimately goes towards improving your player, or whatever you choose to spend it on). Endorsements also bring in extra VC. I guess the most intrusive parts of MyCAREER in NBA 2K17 are the story (far less so this year, though) and the messaging, though you can ignore messages, and it's really not a big part of the mode when it comes down to it.

Anything that makes the game less time consuming just to play a basketball game. I just don't have time to sit thru cut scenes etc. 2 hrs a day for gaming isn't much.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:00 am

Absolutely understandable, I hear where you're coming from. But like I said, it's kind of a no-win situation. If EA adds that stuff, it's going to upset people. If they go in the other direction and don't have those bells and whistles, they'll get roasted for having a bare bones mode.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby StyxTx on Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:37 am

Andrew wrote:Absolutely understandable, I hear where you're coming from. But like I said, it's kind of a no-win situation. If EA adds that stuff, it's going to upset people. If they go in the other direction and don't have those bells and whistles, they'll get roasted for having a bare bones mode.

Well, you mentioned the word "optional" in an earlier post. That, to me, would be the way to go. Put everything in there but give the user the choice of how much they wish to use.
StyxTx

Postby Andrew on Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:50 am

If anything can be automated or ignored, then that would be the way to go, I suppose.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Return to NBA Live 18