EA begins transition to Frostbite engine

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

EA begins transition to Frostbite engine

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:57 pm

Sources: FIFA 17 Begins EA Sports’ Full Transition To Frostbite Engine

Multiple sources tell us that the FIFA, Madden, NHL, and NBA Live sports game will be transitioned to DICE’s Frostbite engine over the course of the next few years. Frostbite is currently being used to power the vast majority of EA’s larger game catalog, including the Battlefield, Star Wars: Battlefront, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Need For Speed, and Mirror’s Edge franchises. The next major sports game to make the leap to the new technology is FIFA 17. While Madden NFL 17. NHL 17, and NBA Live 17 are still using the Ignite engine, each is expected to convert in the near future.

Hopefully, it doesn't set things back again after NBA Live 17.
This topic was moved from NBA Live 16 by Andrew on Thu May 25, 2017 2:21 am.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: EA begins transition to Frostbite engine

Postby mp3 on Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:03 pm

It makes you wonder what the delay is if there still using the old engine.
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:41 pm

Maybe they are moving to Frostbite for NBA Live 17, contrary to what's being reported there. Other than that, fleshing out modes, I would hope.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:08 pm

I wonder if frostbite can do the things that the ignite engine can do, or more. I'm not referring to the graphics, but the gameplay physics stuff.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Andrew on Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:19 pm

Presumably it has more potential, if they're making the switch.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ThaLiveKing on Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:07 am

Pdub wrote:I wonder if frostbite can do the things that the ignite engine can do, or more. I'm not referring to the graphics, but the gameplay physics stuff.

I think it can do more, you can 'cherry pick' to what you want to use in the engine which makes the possibilities endless. In the interview below "whatever you want, you can do with the Frosbite Engine"

phpBB [video]
ThaLiveKing

Postby zzcoolj21 on Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:25 am

Taken from the Live 17 mocap video
Kind of looks like Frostbite 3

Probably a stretch but either way its good to see they are ditching the ignite engine at some point.
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby ThaLiveKing on Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:10 am

zzcoolj21 wrote:Taken from the Live 17 mocap video
[ Image ]
Kind of looks like Frostbite 3
[ Image ]

Probably a stretch but either way its good to see they are ditching the ignite engine at some point.

When I went to Orlando, I don't remember the engine looking like that lol, that looks a lot more complex. It's probably easier to make stars stand out on the Frosbite Engine. I believe they will use Live 17 on the Frosbite Engine as a way to sell the game. That might be the new experience they were talking about
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:42 am

Well, the official line (as per GameInformer's sources) is that NBA Live 17 is still using Ignite, but given that the release has been pushed back until next year, it would certainly make sense. EA haven't commented either way at this juncture, so there's still room for speculation.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:51 am

I don't believe the engine change is happening yet. That conference call seemed to point out something else is in the works for live. I don't think the frostbite engine is a new and engaging way to bring people to live on consoles. I do think VR is a new and engaging way, though.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby zzcoolj21 on Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:02 pm

Pdub wrote:I don't believe the engine change is happening yet. That conference call seemed to point out something else is in the works for live. I don't think the frostbite engine is a new and engaging way to bring people to live on consoles. I do think VR is a new and engaging way, though.

VR just seems useless for a basketball video game. Really a waste of development given all you could really do is look to change the camera. Would be to limited in this genre right now.
zzcoolj21
20% on Good release machine, The NLSC's Jr Smith

Postby [Q] on Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:02 pm

zzcoolj21 wrote:
Pdub wrote:I don't believe the engine change is happening yet. That conference call seemed to point out something else is in the works for live. I don't think the frostbite engine is a new and engaging way to bring people to live on consoles. I do think VR is a new and engaging way, though.

VR just seems useless for a basketball video game. Really a waste of development given all you could really do is look to change the camera. Would be to limited in this genre right now.

What if you used the left stick for movement like in FPS games and then use the VR unit to look around like the right stick of a FPS game? it would obviously be limited to 180 degrees relative to the way the body is facing. Can't simulate eye movement and peripheral vision though. OR it would be cool to show more peripheral vision based on the player's Offensive Awareness rating,
[Q]
NBA Live 18 Advocate
NLSC Team Member

Postby Andrew on Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:53 pm

Sounds cool for a tech demo, but I'd rather just have a gamepad in my hands.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Patr1ck on Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:38 pm

I guess it could be cool for mini games like the 3 point contest or horse.
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby atlwarrior on Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:12 am

I just want a good game lol... 2k needs some competition. Hopefully this fixes the clunky animations.
atlwarrior

Postby ThaLiveKing on Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:46 am

What FIFA 17 looks like in the Frosbite Engine, you can already see the depth and detail in the face a lot better. I can't wait for sunday

ThaLiveKing

Postby TBM on Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:28 am

It's also possible that this is CGI. EA is notorious for bullshitting their reveal trailers. Hopefully it's real, though. It looks beautiful.
TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Ermolli on Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:35 am

With the delay and this news, I've more faith in that Live 16 would have Frostbite. I really hope this engine helps to finally have good animations, it's been long overdue.
Ermolli

Postby ThaLiveKing on Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:15 am

TBM wrote:It's also possible that this is CGI. EA is notorious for bullshitting their reveal trailers. Hopefully it's real, though. It looks beautiful.

It probably is CGI, but with Frosbite, this is where its going. If you look at Westbrook's screen in Live, even LeBron, Lillard, the detail in the faces are amazing. Photo realism at its best. FIFA definitely needed a step up in Graphics. I believe Live currently has the best graphics of all EA Sports games
ThaLiveKing

Postby Patr1ck on Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:51 am

I am not concerned how this engine is going to help as far as details, considering that we play the game from a perspective that puts the players into a small amount of pixels until closeups are shown. Live 16 already has great looking player scans, image quality, and animations are quite good. It's how the game feels when you play it.

Ermolli wrote:With the delay and this news, I've more faith in that Live 16 would have Frostbite. I really hope this engine helps to finally have good animations, it's been long overdue.

Live 16 had ignite. You mean Live 17. :wink:
Patr1ck
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Izzy Snow on Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:12 pm

ThaLiveKing wrote:
TBM wrote:It's also possible that this is CGI. EA is notorious for bullshitting their reveal trailers. Hopefully it's real, though. It looks beautiful.

It probably is CGI, but with Frosbite, this is where its going. If you look at Westbrook's screen in Live, even LeBron, Lillard, the detail in the faces are amazing. Photo realism at its best. FIFA definitely needed a step up in Graphics. I believe Live currently has the best graphics of all EA Sports games

I disagree. I think Madden looks the best out of all the sports games. That game looks so good, I'll see a pic of real life football and think it's Madden lol. But Live 16 really does look good though. The problem as we both have said is the animations. Crossing my fingers that Frostbite is used for Live 17.
Izzy Snow

Postby Ermolli on Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:02 pm

Pdub wrote:I am not concerned how this engine is going to help as far as details, considering that we play the game from a perspective that puts the players into a small amount of pixels until closeups are shown. Live 16 already has great looking player scans, image quality, and animations are quite good. It's how the game feels when you play it.

Ermolli wrote:With the delay and this news, I've more faith in that Live 16 would have Frostbite. I really hope this engine helps to finally have good animations, it's been long overdue.

Live 16 had ignite. You mean Live 17. :wink:

Yeah, it slipped my mind. The number seems so weird, I remember not so far ago I was waiting for Live 15, time is going so fast jaja.
Ermolli

Postby TBM on Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:02 pm

Izzy Snow wrote:
ThaLiveKing wrote:

I disagree. I think Madden looks the best out of all the sports games. That game looks so good, I'll see a pic of real life football and think it's Madden lol. But Live 16 really does look good though. The problem as we both have said is the animations. Crossing my fingers that Frostbite is used for Live 17.

Both wrong. :lol:

TBM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:16 pm

Worth noting that UFC did use the Ignite engine, so even if moving to Frostbite is a good step for the future, it's not like Ignite didn't have anything going for it.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby ChrisCP3Paul on Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:19 pm

I think half of my posts in many years on this forum have been complaints about the "ENGINES" both games use, whether it's 2K or EA.... they're both terribly outdated clunkers from the early 2000's era.....
I'm sure a lot of you more knowledgeable members know exactly what this means for the future of the series, I think my last post about the Live series is that it was done dead and buried.... with this Frostbite thing now, it's not quite gotten the Jon Snow treatment in my eyes just yet, but the heart is beating again....
yes I'm excited can't help it... I quit both 2K and Live 2 years ago, have been looking for something to get me back into the games... this could be exactly it (Y)
ChrisCP3Paul

Return to NBA Live 18