Must-Haves for Dynasty Mode in NBA Live 17

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

Must-Haves for Dynasty Mode in NBA Live 17

Postby Andrew on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:41 pm

Dynasty gamers, unite! What does Dynasty Mode absolutely have to have in NBA Live 17?

First, I'm going to cheat a little, and re-post the Dynasty section from my Wishlist:

• Bring back some basic functionality and features, such as the transactions listing, injury listing, end of season awards, and the ability to edit player jersey numbers, accessories, and positions.
  • Rumours, player/team chemistry and satisfaction, and scouting during the season (not just leading up to the Draft) are some other features from past games that would be great to have back. In-depth scouting of upcoming rookies would be fantastic.
  • Add the ability to practice with your team at any time, so that you can get a feel for your players, especially any new ones that you acquire during the course of a season. Also bring back player drills to train your team each week throughout the season. Scrimmages should be available at any time, but shouldn't affect player development (otherwise that's too much of a cheat).
  • Add more statistics screens, including advanced metrics, to the season leaders menu. Ensure that all qualifying conditions are accounted for, eg. players who are 5/5 from the free throw line shouldn't be listed as the leader in free throw percentage sixty games into the season.
  • Allow us to hire and fire head coaches. This is one is definitely overdue! If need be, have a pool of generic coaches (perhaps we could rename them?) that will also contain real coaches once they get fired. Basically, it shouldn't just be the assistants and other staff who get hired and fired.
  • Add ten day contracts, and contract extensions.
  • Add three-team trades. The way it worked in NBA Live 2001 was pretty effective, but ideally it should be possible to suggest movement between two CPU-controlled teams as well. Every team would still have to agree to the deal, of course.
  • Add the ability to control more than one team, as well as offers (or simply the option) to switch teams between seasons.
  • Add customisation/"sandbox" features, similar to MyLEAGUE in NBA 2K. This includes sliders that affect tendencies and frequencies, and the ability to control the league (ie make trades for CPU-controlled teams, undo trades, "commissioner options", and so on). There's a lot of stuff from MyLEAGUE that I'd like to see in Dynasty Mode, but some of it can wait. Those are some of the big ones though, and one step at a time.
  • Add the ability to have teams agree to a trade in principle, which you can then confirm or back out of, similar to the option that was available in NBA Live 2000.
  • Recognise retired numbers, and disallow active players from wearing them (unless overridden by the user).
  • Add All-Star voting, according to the current backcourt/frontcourt format.
  • Keep some of the really nice features the mode already has, such as simulation intervention, the rotation menu, free agency negotiations, the trade interface, trading of draft picks, and so on.
  • Continue polishing the simulated stats and results, though these tend to be pretty good already, compared to the last few games leading up to NBA Live 10.
  • Allow stats to be adjusted/normalised for shorter quarter lengths, so that the user can play shorter quarters, but still have stats that reflect a full length game.
  • Bring back Dynasty cutscenes for award presentations, trades, the Draft, and so forth.
  • Implement fatigue that carries over from game to game over the course of the season, hot and cold streaks, etc.

I think the biggest must-haves, the bare minimum additions and enhancements, would be...

• The basic functionality and information screens. Specifically, things like Edit Player (jersey numbers, accessories, primary/secondary position), Transaction and Injury listings, the Match-Up Review results screen, and team histories really need to be included.
  • More statistics screens, especially advanced stats/analytics, situational stats, and so forth.
  • Ability to control more than one team, and switch teams in between seasons (either through offers, or ideally manually switching).
  • Ability to have teams agree to a trade in principle, which you can then confirm or back out of, similar to the option that was available in NBA Live 2000.
  • A start on adding some of the customisation options of MyLEAGUE. It's a tall order for Dynasty to get as deep as MyLEAGUE within one year, but having some tendency/frequency and commissioner options would be a great first step.
  • Expansion of roster management with ten day contracts, contract negotiations, etc.
  • Some extra bells and whistles, such as NBA Live 2004's Dynasty Cutscenes, to spice up the presentation and immersion factor
This topic was moved from NBA Live 16 by Andrew on Thu May 25, 2017 2:21 am.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Re: Must-Haves for Dynasty Mode in NBA Live 17

Postby mp3 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:14 am

For me nba live 17 has to have a deeper dynasty mode to rival myleague/GM but i dont think it should try and copy either one. I think EA needs to find its own hook and as you and Ben have talked about in the podcast they should definitely bring back the old but updated allstar weekend with the dunk contest which they should also make available as a mini game from the start up menu.

As for Dynasty mode i dont think they should try and go overboard in year 1 of the update, keep it simple. Add alot of the missing items but try and make it as realistic as possible in terms of FA/Trades/Stats.

All great ideas Andrew which i agree on all of them, Transactions/Injury screen... Editing Players... In game Injuries... Player of the week awards... Signing players to 10 day contracts... Custom drafts that we can import... Expanding the active rosters to 13 players just like RL needs addressing too...

I really need to get working on my wishlist (Y)
Youtube - mp3 Basketball Gaming
mp3

Postby Andrew on Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:40 am

MyLEAGUE (more so than MyGM, as I prefer the sandbox approach) is one area where I think Live should definitely be taking some cues from 2K. Obviously they can (and should) do some of the things in their own way, but as far as having a deep, robust, traditional multi-season mode that replicates the NBA from an overall team control standpoint, it's a very, very good template to work from.

There's definitely only so much that can be done in one year though, so a few steps a time. That said, Dynasty is overdue to take some big steps forward, beginning with fleshing things out with the return of some basic functionality, and then a bit of brand new content on top of that. After that, keep building.
Andrew
Assist Enthusiast
Administrator

Postby Ermolli on Mon May 09, 2016 6:01 am

Things that absolutely would have to have for Live 17 considering time and resources would be:

Improved scouting. It's boring, shallow and an after-though (just like Dynasty mode currently is).
Let us know before hand how good or deep the upcoming draft classes are going to be according to experts (maybe you can make use of ESPN here and incorporate their annalists). Is it top heavy but then quite weak after the lottery? Are there franchise-cornerstone players or just good enough players? Could there be hidden gems in the upcoming draft worth scouting? Maybe you're scouting a player during the season who you think will become available to draft but then he decides to stay in school for an extra year. Stories and news like that would be interesting.
Give us more options for scouting instead of just selecting five players during the offseason. Let us learn how atletic they are, how's his IQ, can he be a defensive stopper, does he have a jumpshot, learn their tendencies, etc. Also the ability to scout during the season.
It would be more helpful if users could get some kind of info about the prospect besides school, position, size, weight and projection; how about hometown, college stats, Draft Combine stats and NBA comparison? What I was considering about the Draft Combine was that you could use the different info that you could get from it and estimate how that could translate into ratings; for example a 41.5 inches on the Max Vertical Leap would be between a 80 and 85 on Jumping rating, 3.14 second in the Three Quarter drill would be between 85 to 95 Speed rating, those gaps would be reduced by scouting the player before the draft.
Another thing I'm not sure if scouting should show player ratings, maybe if they do scout ratings those aren't necessarily the real rating the prospect is going to have, it could depend on the quality of your scouts; perhaps one of your scouts says X player will have 77 on 3 point shooting but he really has 59 and he makes the mistake because he’s an E scout. If not then maybe there could be several categories rated up to 10 like NBA Draft.net has (athleticism, size, defense, intangibles, NBA ready, potential, etc). Also there could be a couple paragraphs or lines about each prospects strengths and weaknesses.

Make players' ratings dynamic. Hot and cold streaks could help in Dynasty by adding some strategy to the mode by choosing between putting the best players at that moment (and players that have chemistry or fit the system) instead of putting the players with the best overall on the starting 5 or not, those streaks would affect players ratings depending on player's consistency ratings.

Commentary related to the mode. Have the commentary team talk about trades, signings, rumours, standings, players who have been playing well or underperforming. If not, games feel like a bunch of exhibition games linked together.

I've have several ideas more (as I've mentioned them in several Wishlits and topics here) but those three are the ones than are needed the most or that could be implemented without them being so far fetched to accomplish. If I can post all my dynasty thoughts here I'll do whenever I think about some.
Ermolli

Postby BPDHoplite on Wed May 31, 2017 3:57 am

Commentary that isn't so bad that it makes me turn it off.
Awkward looking jumpshots and layups need to be removed
Remove awkward animations in the paint
A story mode that is like FIFA but not stuck to one side and extremely shallow
Single player with no story but plenty cut scenes like in games such as NBA 2K13 but a lot more in depth.
Good soundtrack which is common in NBA live series but NBA 2K17's has made me lose faith......
A special mode like The Path To Greatness in 2K14 and The Jordan Challenge in 2K11
A proper intro to player careers instead of a showcase
Rookie cyberfaces
Show MyCareer stats on screen instead of just that stupid score thing

Edit:
Just realised I made this for the whole game but anyways
Used to be called DaCrispy

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkG6-Q ... 6S0t9jikJQ
NCAA Bsketball 18 - viewtopic.php?f=153&t=104626
College Hoops 2K - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=106815
Update Mods for NBA 2K11 - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=105434
Updated G-League for 2K11 - viewtopic.php?f=136&t=106723
Discord - https://discord.gg/J6mFNkeFDd
BPDHoplite
Still the NLSCs resident Jimmermaniac
Contributor

Postby Dee4Three on Wed May 31, 2017 5:12 am

•Ability to control more than one team, and switch teams in between seasons (either through offers, or ideally manually switching).

THAT will make me dive deep into this game...
"I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me." - Larry Bird

Check out my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvHJXrqit8Dc6HBY5P6EmAA

Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Dee4Three84
Dee4Three
NLSC Team Member
NLSC Team Member

Postby timmyd on Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:52 am

Must have's for me:

- Ability to own more than 1 team.
- Allow comprehensive trades/contracts (3 team trade, future draft picks, protected/unprotected, minimum and vet minimum contracts, 10-day contracts etc).
- Ability to override trades (force CPU users to accept trades etc even if they don't work financially)
- Realistic Salary cap and league rules (also give option of increasing the salary cap etc)
- Ability to EDIT players during the dynasty mode and outside (Full Edit, ratings, tendencies, shot style, signature skills, positions, height, weight, accessories).
- Add all awards and NBA Team feautures and recognitions
- Enhances statistics
- Ability to customize sliders for simulation and in-game sliders (incase all teams are scoring 110 + and shooting high percentages).
- Allow us to check every boxscore of everygame.
Willing to help complete rosters for season/my league use.

#GoSpursGo
timmyd

Return to NBA Live 18