New Gameplay Videos from EA Play (5v5, The One)

Talk about NBA Live 18 here.

Re: New Gameplay Videos from EA Play (5v5, The One)

Postby Andrew on Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:34 am

Double-edged sword, I guess. It's something you feel obligated to say, to preempt the inevitable question or accusation, but saying it can also sound suspicious.
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby kingpnp on Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:34 pm

I think I'm in love with the ankle breakers. and i hated them in 2k games.

The reason I hated them in 2k is because they were a pre setup animation that would kick in based on 3 things, how high of a playmaking skill did you have, and what ankle breaker badge did you posses, and is your defenders later quickness less than a certain amt. thats it. it was not at all based on physics or even a virtual physics. where it has to do with how hard the defender is going one way and the offensive guy yanks the ball the other way and when the defender tries to change direction mid slide the opposite direction...that would be REALISTIC. that never happens in 2k. its only determined by those things mentioned.

From the first video. I think the ankle breaking animation is triggered for the right reasons.

if you guard a guy and he's going hard left. you as the defender are also smashing the sprint button sliding hard left(or your right) with the offensive player. If the offensive guy changes direction without notice and does so quickly and catches you off guard. You have 3 choices. let go of the stick and the sprint button. you will come to a momentum stop. no ankle breaking animation. but your man will either by wide open for a jumper or you will be left in the dust when he goes to the basket.

OR get ya ankles broken... You try to instead stay on the sprint button and stay on the analog and attempt to force it back the opposite direction to match your offensive player. but your a half a step to late. depending on your defensive abilities/lateral quickness probably gives you a higher chance of recovering without getting your ankles broken terribly. but they will get broken a bit regardless due to your sprint button push and forcing the controller one way hard, then trying to go back the other way hard without letting it go at all. this is realistic.

https://youtu.be/s7Svbk8Zyas?t=151

^^^ It looks as if the ankle breaker is late. its not. thats when he tried to cut back. how do you stop this? read above the first part. OR anticipate that the guy is going to cut back the other direction. you move over there before he does and bam. no broken ankles. Now if he keeps going hard left. you're blown by. sorry. Thats real life basketball.
kingpnp

Postby ThaLiveKing on Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:19 am

[Q] wrote:Where are your videos at? I'd be interested in hearing what you think about the game instead of these random Youtubers

I honestly been so busy with school I thought I posted them here. I have two videos where I'm talking about my direct hands on after the event. I was tired after a long day while recording them, but they are fresh impressions from Saturday and Sunday. I even spent Sunday all day pretty much messing with difficulty and slider settings.

TLKradio: NBA Live 18 EA PLAY - Saturday Hands-On Raw Impressions - WOW moments
phpBB [video]

TLKradio: NBA Live 18 Raw Impressions With Superstar & All-Star Difficulty + Sliders Adjustments
phpBB [video]
ThaLiveKing

Postby Andrew on Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:03 am

Good stuff!
Andrew
Retro Basketball Gamer
Administrator

Postby Phreak50 on Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:45 pm

What the hell happened to the smooth jumpshots from 16?

Now they are all square on and stuff and everyone seems to have the same default animation. This is my point about one step forward, two steps back with this game.

No matter how many bad features bball games have had over the decades, the ones with smooth and enjoyable jumpshots were always playable and worthwhile in some form or another.

This just looks horrendous I am sad to say.

Here we are waiting two years for someone amazing looking on the Frostbite engine and maybe something revolutionary and all we get is this?

Looking at the various countrie's charts for most downloaded mobile games, NBA Live is in most and even pops up a bit in the highest grossing games on mobile. Given that it's a free to play game with microtransactions and doing so well, I think it's clear to see where EA is now focused on with their console version of this game. Almost no effort put into the actual game and most likely just creating a way for them to make a bucket of microtransaction cash from their 'non-hardcore' modes.

I give up. :/
Phreak50

Postby ThaLiveKing on Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:48 pm

Phreak50 wrote:What the hell happened to the smooth jumpshots from 16?

Now they are all square on and stuff and everyone seems to have the same default animation. This is my point about one step forward, two steps back with this game.

No matter how many bad features bball games have had over the decades, the ones with smooth and enjoyable jumpshots were always playable and worthwhile in some form or another.

This just looks horrendous I am sad to say.

Here we are waiting two years for someone amazing looking on the Frostbite engine and maybe something revolutionary and all we get is this?

Looking at the various countrie's charts for most downloaded mobile games, NBA Live is in most and even pops up a bit in the highest grossing games on mobile. Given that it's a free to play game with microtransactions and doing so well, I think it's clear to see where EA is now focused on with their console version of this game. Almost no effort put into the actual game and most likely just creating a way for them to make a bucket of microtransaction cash from their 'non-hardcore' modes.

I give up. :/

The Jump shots are better in 18, I hope they fix the step back and off the dribble J's because they seem a bit off, but other than that, hands on wise, I thought they were fine. We'll see how they are in a month when the demo drops
ThaLiveKing

Postby Izzy Snow on Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:57 pm

I Hate Mondays wrote:
[Q] wrote:Where are your videos at? I'd be interested in hearing what you think about the game instead of these random Youtubers

Yeah, I want to hear the opinion of someone who wasn't bought with free sneakers.

While I used to be opposed using YouTubers who aren't even true NBA Live fans, I now do think more exposure from bigger channels can only help at least the sales of the game. But...I've always questioned EA's approach in marketing and yes I do think giving these YT's free sneakers just makes their opinion look even more suspect. There are some honest feedback out there from YT's like Mindframegaming.
Izzy Snow

Previous

Return to NBA Live 18